ADVERTISEMENT

Has anyone else watched “Basketball: A Love Story” yet?

I'm about halfway thru and agree. Its amazing to see how the game has developed and changed thru the years. I personally liked watching run of the mill fundamentals (in todays game) that were "moves" back then. Every single part of basketball had a first. A finger roll, inside pivot, reverse pivot, up and under, jumpers, crossovers, even boxing out on rebounding.

Lol at Bill Russells coach telling him bad defenders leave their feet to block shots.

*One main thing I noticed, and maybe its due to maturity and wisdom, but old time players are much more complimentary of their adversaries and talk much more about others and the game than themselves. Even if they didn't particularly like them----there was a lot of respect.

I'm about halfway thru and agree. Its amazing to see how the game has developed and changed thru the years. I personally liked watching run of the mill fundamentals (in todays game) that were "moves" back then. Every single part of basketball had a first. A finger roll, inside pivot, reverse pivot, up and under, jumpers, crossovers, even boxing out on rebounding.

Lol at Bill Russells coach telling him bad defenders leave their feet to block shots.

*One main thing I noticed, and maybe its due to maturity and wisdom, but old time players are much more complimentary of their adversaries and talk much more about others and the game than themselves. Even if they didn't particularly like them----there was a lot of respect.

For sure. And I just enjoy all of these little stories discussed in such focused ways... its like you get a huge history one little bit at a time, but it all comes together? I'm home without the fam for a few days, so I am binging like crazy... just watched The First Lottery, which focuses on the invention of the lottery, the Knicks, and Pat Ewing... watched about Walton and Portland winning the title, one about Pat Summitt, one on Lenny Wilkens, one the idea of genius in sports, one about Georgetown, one about the NBA: It's Fantastic PR campaign and David Stern, and one about Pat Riley and the LA/Boston rivalry.

Yesterday I watched one on NC State vs UCLA, one on Bobby Knight, one on the INSANE deal that the Silna brothers worked with the NBA (basically they were ABA owners who allowed themselves to get bought out in exchange for 1/7th of the TV rights for the NBA, back when there WERE no TV rights... in perpetuity. INSANE. They made a lot of money:) ) one about the Warriors first title, one on the George Gervin/David Thompson chase for the NBA scoring title in 1978, and one on drugs in the league in the 70s and 80s, and how the NBA managed to pull themselves out of last place in the pros. F'ing fantastic.

In terms of the old guys... I don't see them talking about it any more than the young guys? I mean, there are more old guys being interviewed, and they are being interviewed about other people, so it's natural that you'd see more old guys talking about other guys? I mean... I'm not seeing any young guys talking about themselves particularly? But it is a hell of a lot of fun seeing these guys who battled with each other years ago smiling and discussing each other... I agree, you certainly see the respect.

Gotta admit, I did cheat and go ahead to watch the College Coaches one and the USA/Larry Brown/Coach K one ahead of time:)

Oh, UK fans, you'd enjoy, there is one about Rupp, and a number that involve UK guys. And Ashley Judd does a bunch of voice over work.

The Munich/USA vs Russia one was tough.

Watching Rick Barry shoot free throws is nuts. And goddamn, seeing Walton... wow.

And holy shit, the "Brotherly Love" one, about Jack Twyman and Maurice Stokes... that was heartbreaking, and also heartwarming. I didn't know that story. If you don't, check this link out. Insane. Stokes had a series of seizures that basically left him unable to do nearly anything, and his teammate, Jack Twyman, just dropped his entire life and became his steadfast friend and companion for life, simply out of a sense of decency. It's insane.

https://www.si.com/vault/1960/02/01/670330/a-brave-man-and-a-good-friend

Last edited:
Reactions: toonces11

Yes. I can notice in myself that I'm becoming more and more appreciative of the teams I grew up hating. W/o them I wouldn't have felt the highs and the lows I had watching sports. I'm still competitive and some ways too much in my life, but I'm starting to open up to giving others more credit which is something I would have rarely done in my youth.

Reactions: toonces11
For sure. And I just enjoy all of these little stories discussed in such focused ways... its like you get a huge history one little bit at a time, but it all comes together? I'm home without the fam for a few days, so I am binging like crazy... just watched The First Lottery, which focuses on the invention of the lottery, the Knicks, and Pat Ewing... watched about Walton and Portland winning the title, one about Pat Summitt, one on Lenny Wilkens, one the idea of genius in sports, one about Georgetown, one about the NBA: It's Fantastic PR campaign and David Stern, and one about Pat Riley and the LA/Boston rivalry.

Yesterday I watched one on NC State vs UCLA, one on Bobby Knight, one on the INSANE deal that the Silna brothers worked with the NBA (basically they were ABA owners who allowed themselves to get bought out in exchange for 1/7th of the TV rights for the NBA, back when there WERE no TV rights... in perpetuity. INSANE. They made a lot of money:) ) one about the Warriors first title, one on the George Gervin/David Thompson chase for the NBA scoring title in 1978, and one on drugs in the league in the 70s and 80s, and how the NBA managed to pull themselves out of last place in the pros. F'ing fantastic.

In terms of the old guys... I don't see them talking about it any more than the young guys? I mean, there are more old guys being interviewed, and they are being interviewed about other people, so it's natural that you'd see more old guys talking about other guys? I mean... I'm not seeing any young guys talking about themselves particularly? But it is a hell of a lot of fun seeing these guys who battled with each other years ago smiling and discussing each other... I agree, you certainly see the respect.

Gotta admit, I did cheat and go ahead to watch the College Coaches one and the USA/Larry Brown/Coach K one ahead of time:)

Oh, UK fans, you'd enjoy, there is one about Rupp, and a number that involve UK guys. And Ashley Judd does a bunch of voice over work.

The Munich/USA vs Russia one was tough.

Watching Rick Barry shoot free throws is nuts. And goddamn, seeing Walton... wow.

And holy shit, the "Brotherly Love" one, about Jack Twyman and Maurice Stokes... that was heartbreaking, and also heartwarming. I didn't know that story. If you don't, check this link out. Insane. Stokes had a series of seizures that basically left him unable to do nearly anything, and his teammate, Jack Twyman, just dropped his entire life and became his steadfast friend and companion for life, simply out of a sense of decency. It's insane.

https://www.si.com/vault/1960/02/01/670330/a-brave-man-and-a-good-friend
I don’t fall far from your opinion on any of this. I’ll give you my take as I get thru it. I can’t even wrap my brain around Munich.

I just found it touching how much respect the older guys spoke with, esp from great players that have every right to be cocky. It’s an awesome thing to see rivals talk about the opposition with such respect. Russell talking about wilt was cool.

ADVERTISEMENT