Guns

Discussion in 'College Basketball Board' started by ThroughBlue, Jul 17, 2020.

1. ThroughBlue

ThroughBlue Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Let’s talk about my second favorite topic other than millinia old lizards living beneath our feet

Freedom seed dispensers

What is your go to for every day carry?

Have any of you built your own AR or Glock?

any of you run any competitions?

what kind of gear are you currently in?

2. Random UK Fan

Random UK Fan Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

I own a river 9mm. It’s in the closet in a gun safe. It’s there for just in case. No day to day interaction with it.

3. JimboBBN

JimboBBN Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

[​IMG]

Only have one at the moment, this bad boy. Beretta M9. She stays by my bed in my night stand. Currently in the market for another pistol. Preferably smaller, as I’m going to keep this one in my truck when I’m driving. Been looking at a Glock, but any suggestions are welcome.

Montana81 likes this.
  4. ThroughBlue

Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Have you ever checked out armslist?

5. CO_hawk

CO_hawk Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Have an military buddy of mine building a AR 15 right now for me. Should be done by next weekend.

toonces11 likes this.
  6. SNU0821

SNU0821 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

I just picked up an HK VP9 with red dot. It’s badass. It’s my favorite.

Montana81 and toonces11 like this.
  7. JC for 3

JC for 3 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Smith & Wesson 9mm.... looks like a Glock.

bMORE607 and toonces11 like this.
  8. ThroughBlue

Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Awesome. It’s really not complicated if you have a vice and a few tools

Care to give any of the specs or parts you are using

9. GhostOf301

GhostOf301 Well-Known Member
    Silver Member
    Expand Collapse

I have a Ruger .40 revolver. My wife has a little .25 pistol. Haven't shot it in a couple of years but was going to go check out a temporary outdoor shooting range down the road in a little bit.

10. ThroughBlue

Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

I love HK pistols. I have a 45 tactical right now that I am looking to trade for either the regular 45 version or the VP9

SNU0821 likes this.
  11. I am stupid

I am stupid Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

I owned and ran a gun store for several years. I guess I have a lot for normal standards, but not as much as some would think.

I don't always carry, but I keep one close. Anyway, carry gun is a Sig P365xl 9mm. Great guns. Great size. Fantastic trigger. Accurate.

I have 2 AR15s. Built them myself. Off the shelf AR10. Have a few glocks. G34 MOS and G22 I have a 9mm conversion for, also changed out the disconnector and all springs. Made it too dangerous so I had to revert back to half stock parts.

No competitions, but I am currently building a personal steel target range. Not going to be much just starting with 6 targets. May expand later.

My advice to all new rifle owners and the majority of all ar15 owners: don't be cheap when buying optics. You get what you pay for. If you buy a $2590 AR but slap a $30 red dot on it, you are dumb and people will think you are dumb. You don't have to buy a $1500 acog or a $500 aimpoint/eotech, but at least spend a couple hundred on a vortex or primary arms, etc...

12. CO_hawk

Expand Collapse

Bear with me as I've only ever owned a 12ga and a bolt action 22.
    Ya M4 lower I believe. 5.56, 16" barrel, regular forged receiver, brown furniture and a collapsible stock. Not sure on the gas system.

There are so many choices. I almost got a 9mm build.

13. ThroughBlue

Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Sounds awesome man. My next build will be A different caliber. I’ve built a 10.3 inch and a 16in in 556. I like the idea of Doing a 9mm or a 458 socom

14. ThroughBlue

Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

I have eotech XPS 2 on my 10.3. Acog on my 16 and a Burris 1-8 LPVO on my 20” DMR

I am stupid likes this.
  15. I am stupid

Expand Collapse

I have an acog on my 20 and a PA red dot on my 16. Was a PA dealer, so I had to "represent".

16. tw3301

tw3301 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Smith and Wesson M&P .40 sub compact, was going to buy an M4 or AK but the price for that stuff is through the roof right now (wonder why).

SIhoosier26 and I am stupid like this.
  17. CO_hawk

Expand Collapse

The guy I'm getting it from has a 10mm, with 10.5" barrel. I'm jelly.

18. SNU0821

SNU0821 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

I love the VP9. I got the 2020 model that comes optics ready. It's a lot of fun to shoot.

19. coryfly

coryfly Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

I don't own a gun. My boy has a 12 gauge and 16 gauge downstairs though. He also has some other guns at my wife's parents house because they hunt all sorts of things over there on his land.

I have an uncle with an arsenal in this room safe he has. He makes his own bullets for a lot of his stuff. He used to compete, was a big game hunter, and now just shots for the heck of it. He has this awesome room in his house with stuffed bears and moose heads and all sorts of animals. Great dude. He is 100% Korean but is as country as they come. From the accent to the dip to the beat your ass attitude.

I am stupid likes this.
  20. ThroughBlue

Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Oh my

21. I am stupid

Expand Collapse

I hope Ruger expands on the 5.7x28 round. I can't help but think a 10/22 style gun that shoots it would sell like crazy.

22. Bert Higginbotha

Bert Higginbotha Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

I sleep with a .44 mag.

Even if I miss the perp' he and I would be unable to hear the questions from the police. Plus he may have a cannon hole in his chest through a wall. :)

23. IUfanBorden

IUfanBorden Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

I have a 9mm....Wife has a .380. I never carry. She will sometimes have hers in her purse. I always have it in my car, or work vehicle though. Always. At night, i have it right beside me.

Bert Higginbotha and ceilo77 like this.
  24. Montana81

Montana81 Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

My dads colt commander.

25. Scotty00

Scotty00 Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

My cousins husband does those sniper shooting contest. He’s pretty solid. Has sponsors and all that shit. I own a couple of hunting guns and that’s about it. I do have two guns I keep on me all the time. If you’ve seen me in a sleeveless shirt you know what I’m talking about!SmokinSmile:D

treyforuk and I am stupid like this.
  26. Kevin Bryan

Kevin Bryan Moderator
    Expand Collapse

These are the only two I brought with me to Vegas when I moved. The rest of the arsenal is in storage 2,000 miles away. S&W .45 revolver and Kimber Stainless Pro Raptor II .45 1911. Everything I currently own is too big to carry concealed. These are just for home defense, and if you enter unwelcome you will leave without a head or at least with a basketball sized hole in your back. I am about to buy a new crossbow too... also for home defense. (JK Laughing)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Bert Higginbotha and Scotty00 like this.
  27. treyforuk

treyforuk Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Have a 410 double barrel next to my bed. a Springfield xd9 sub in my truck, a glock 19 i can get my hands on in the living room, and a couple ars in the toy room.

Yellow Man and Scotty00 like this.
  28. Sound.Slave

Sound.Slave Well-Known Member
    Silver Member
    Expand Collapse

I used to spend a lot of $$$ on firearms and ammo. I'm guessing I have owned about 25 or so. I still enjoy them but I have other things I want to spend money on now like tacos, traveling, and dentists.

My current carry weapon is a Taurus 605(357 snub) I'm very happy with the caliber, reliability of a revolver, and the size. . Used to carry a Glock 26(subcompact 9mm).

I only have 4 guns at "home" right now. 357 Taurus, Glock 22(40cal), HK USP(45), and the Desert Eagle 50. Funny how when the shit hits the fan everyone wants to "borrow" a gun.
    [​IMG]

28 Sound.Slave, Jul 18, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2020
    Bert Higginbotha and I am stupid like this.
  29. Kevin Bryan

Kevin Bryan Moderator
    Expand Collapse

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

30. TheDude1

TheDude1 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Heading up to New Hampshire in a week or two... Not sure which gun to bring to shoot, bc I only want to bring one.

Debating between the Baker, because there is something so fun about a muzzle loading flintlock, or the Winchester, because I haven’t shot it yet.

31. theetommyt

theetommyt Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

I don't understand gun culture at all, but support the 2nd Amendment as you all do, at least for the most part. I'd like to require licensed training for some weapons, but other than that I think where the limit on arms that can be owned isn't in a terrible place. I have shot guns at targets before, but I don't at all get a rush from it, not any more than something like darts. So very liberal guy here who supports 2A rights (but not say as much as 1A or some of the others), but just doesn't get shooting, or even hunting that much (not against responsible hunting at all.)
    What draws you to it?

UL_1986 likes this.
  32. coryfly

coryfly Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

I have no real interest in guns either and find shooting them extremely boring. I also don't hunt or anything. I'm sure many feel the same about golf though, which is my money sucking habit. However, I couldn't care less that people own guns and love the fact people hunt because I enjoy eating meat.

33. Bert Higginbotha

Bert Higginbotha Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

I grew up on the farm with a gun and hunting. I enjoyed both. Wild game tastes good. Hunters are the reasons we have all this wildlife because hunters pays the way for the states to support and control game animals. Same way with fishing.

I am totally opposed to requiring that guns be licensed. With that you do not have the "right" to own a gun because the government can come and take it away when ever they choose. On the first amendment should you have to go to the government to get a license to publish a book?

The Bill of Rights are hard to limit and were designed to make it hard to take them away. Every regulation against the bill of rights is an erosion of our basic rights. The United States is the only government that I am aware of with a "Bill of Rights" in its constitution. Canada, UK and Australia do not have a "Bill of Rights". One law can be written in most countries and take away your ability to do many things. In the U.S. it takes a Constitutional Amendment to remove your rights, which is incredibly hard to do. Thank God for James Madison.

34. TheDude1

Expand Collapse

Hm, one of my primary enjoyments it the beauty of guns. Now, I'm a historical gun guy, so I like a lot of guns which include brass and wood. Modern guns don't have that in the same way.

There is also the collecting/modifying aspect. It's fun to collect things, and the modify things. Satisfies the same urge as modding cars.

And also... guns are fun to shoot. Maybe not for everyone, but throwing a large round downrange... or getting the chance to run through an obstacle course... or even acting as spotter for someone... it can be exciting, or it can be meditative... either way, its just fun:)

That said, I don't particularly care that much about the 2nd amendment... very much a relic of olden days, when the most dangerous arm a person had was a Land Pattern Bess. Not every amendment is created equally... I would wager 90 percent of Americans can't even tell you what the 3rd is, and that most Americans think the 2nd is more important than the 9th and 10th. If it was gone, our country would be a safer place.

Anyway... totally not the point of the thread, so I won't bother with discussion of amendments or gun control beyond that simple paragraph.

So, no thoughts on which gun to bring on vacation? Leaning towards the Winchester, since I haven't shot it before... but man, I enjoy the process of firing the muzzle loader, and even the cleaning process... there is something so satisfying about cleaning a black powder gun after use... when that boiling water runs clear, and the patch you run down the barrel comes out clean... even that is very meditative.

For reference... the Winchester...

[​IMG]

The Baker...

[​IMG]

34 TheDude1, Jul 19, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2020
    theetommyt likes this.
  35. I am stupid

Expand Collapse

I would take the lever action simply because you haven't shot it yet.

I think my oldest gun is either a S&W Army model 1917(made in 1918 I think) or 1891 Argentine Mause(unsure of manufactured date, but up until 1940). The M1917 was my grandfather's and I was given it when he passed away. He had two, but one was stolen.

36. dragonhawk1855

dragonhawk1855 Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

if you can find one the old Colt 45 Commander, if not get the 1911 45 Colt. that one you can carry real easy and with these new holsters are easy to get out fast.

also easy to get spare magazines that are easy to carry.

my current favorite is a Long Colt single action 45.

37. WeAreDePaul

WeAreDePaul Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Don't have a gun, but would like one. If one of you has an extra you're not using can you send it to me?

38. TheDude1

Expand Collapse

That’s a lot of handgun... who are you recommending that to, me? Damn 45 long Colt ammo ain’t cheap... the Winchester is chambered for that round. One of the reasons I shoot it... musket balls are so much cheaper :)

Pistol wise, I’ve got an 1851 Colt Navy, and then a beautiful 18th century French naval pistol, unknown make.

39. Kevin Bryan

Kevin Bryan Moderator
    Expand Collapse

A French naval pistol, huh? Guarantee that thing was in mint condition when you got it! Laughing

lurkeraspect84 and Yellow Man like this.
  40. dragonhawk1855

dragonhawk1855 Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

no I recomend the Colt 45 Commander if you can find one, other the 1911 Colt is the easiest to carry. it is the easiest to find the shells and other things to reload.

in fact most of the semi auto's are easy to find the shells, bullets and primers needed. as for the powder get a reloading book as it as the types and best for each shell with info on the bigger loads for any situation. target to hunting to self protection. a must get for someone that plans on doing a lot of shooting.

when I was a cop I had 500 38 cases reloaded with what was called a wad cutter for target practice, that slug made a nice round hole and was easy to tape over to use the target over and over. had a Ruger Security 6 that also shot the 357 mag which carried in the gun when on patrol.

the 357 rnds was a hot load meaning extra powder, remember this was in the late 70's to early 80's when car engines were still made out of cast iron. did a nice job of punching a hole thru the engine block.