ADVERTISEMENT

Greatest Programs of the Modern Era

Id give more points to winning national championship, something like 50pts per title. 30 seems a little low considering the runner-up gets 20.
I’m conflicted on this … I don’t like rankings that have Florida Basketball too high for literally a two-year span with a generational player, but also you have to eventually penalize more consistent programs like Illinois or Purdue that haven’t won it all. I think his ranking is probably good.

Titles should matter the most, but having excellent stats in other areas should be able to override that metric’s weight. For example, I don’t think there’s an intellectually serious argument for UCLA over Kentucky all-time. It always comes down to some bro repeating “TITLES” like a Pokémon.

Last edited:
I’m conflicted on this … I don’t like rankings that have Florida Basketball too high for literally a two-year span with a generational player, but also you have to eventually penalize more consistent programs like Illinois or Purdue that haven’t won it all. I think his ranking is probably good.

Titles should matter the most, but having excellent stats in other areas should be able to override that metric’s weight. For example, I don’t think there’s an intellectually serious argument for UCLA over Kentucky all-time. It always comes down to some bro repeating “TITLES” like a Pokémon.

I think the classic way people score by rounds is simply to double the points. So, the scoring would be:

Rd 64: 1
Rd 32: 2
S16: 4
E8: 8
F4: 16
CG: 32
NC: 64

But, I'm also using tiered-scoring, which I believe is appropriate, as you would want to see how many times each team advanced to the R32, S16, E8, etc. - so I thought against the traditional doubling of points by round. In that scenario, a sweet 16 team would be given 7 points (1+2+4), whereas a national champion would be rewarded with 127 points (1+2+4+8+16+32+64). A ratio of more than 18:1 seems excessive, especially when you consider a lot title teams struggle in the Round of 32 or Sweet 16.

Florida is a good example of a school with sort of a wonky history. Their first NCAA tournament appearance occurred in 1987. Absolutely nothing in the first 48 tournaments. The table on this thread, however, is dealing with the modern era (1985 - present). So, 12th doesn't seem to far-fetched for Florida. They've been in 23 of the past 35 tournaments, including 5 Final Fours. On my all-time table, they're 21st. And perhaps that is too high for a historically underachieving team.

And then you have a team like UNLV. Their first season was in 1970. There were fewer opportunities for tournament spots pre-1970 - and they didn't have to worry about negative points for 31 seasons. So, not having a D1 school for all those years may have been for their benefit.

It's always an impossible task when you're involving a subjective scoring system (which will always happen when the seasons aren't perfectly comparable). I think the important thing is try to be as reasonable as possible with the points - but, also try to include as many metrics as possible to minimize the possibility of one team gaining a distinct advantage in a category that may be weighted too heavily.

Also, feel bad for a team like Maryland. They've gone through the rigors in trying to win in a super-challenging ACC. You will not find a team in the top 75 that has a lower ratio of conference championships to top 25 finishes. Maryland has 6 conference titles, and yet 24 top-25 finishes. For comparison (conference titles is the first number), UK is 47:54, UCLA is 31:42, UNC is 35:51, Duke is 23:50, and KU is 43:47.

Reactions: ExitFlagger
Also, feel bad for a team like Maryland. They've gone through the rigors in trying to win in a super-challenging ACC. You will not find a team in the top 75 that has a lower ratio of conference championships to top 25 finishes. Maryland has 6 conference titles, and yet 24 top-25 finishes. For comparison (conference titles is the first number), UK is 47:54, UCLA is 31:42, UNC is 35:51, Duke is 23:50, and KU is 43:47.
Never feel bad for Maryland. This, I command of you.

• Haha
Reactions: dukedevilz
ADVERTISEMENT