ADVERTISEMENT

Greatest Programs of the Modern Era

dukedevilz

Apr 3, 2002
Alright, gents. Here it is. The 50 Greatest Programs of the Modern Era. Kansas, with all of the conference ships and a 2022 National Title, squeaks past Carolina for 2nd place. Arizona at #6 surprised me a little, to be honest.

50-Greatest-Modern-Programs.png

50-Greatest-Modern-Programs1.png

I added conference tournament champions, but the start date I used for that was 2002, as that's when the Pac-12 brought the tournament back. The most subjective metrics I used were regular season conference champs (CC) and conference tournament champions (CT). I honestly don't know if I can get any better than this, however. Here's how I scored those categories.

Conference Regular Season Champs
5 points- 4 teams in the top 50 (1985-2001 the RPI was used; 2002-Present I used KenPom)
4 points- 4 teams in the top 100
3 points- less than 4 teams in the top 100

Conference Tournament Champions (2002-Present)
3 points- 4 teams in the top 50 (1985-2001 the RPI was used; 2002-Present I used KenPom)
2 points- 4 teams in the top 100
1 point- less than 4 teams in the top 100

Independent Schools: Only get credit for a Conference Championship if they finish in the AP Top 10 (5 points).

Tiebreakers: In the case of a tie, the school with the most titles will be ranked higher. If they're tied (or have zero), then just keep going down the list, most title game appearances, final fours, elite 8s, etc.

The green columns are points that add to the total; the red columns are points that subtract from the total.

Scoring Breakdown
Tournament Appearance- 1 point
Round of 32- 2 points
Sweet 16- 3 points
Elite 8- 5 points
Final Four- 10 points
Championship Game- 20 points
National Title- 30 points

Conference Reg. Season Title- 5 points (if 4 teams in the top 50)
Conference Tournament Title- 3 points (if 4 teams in the top 50)
AP Top 10 Finish- 2 points
AP Top 25 Finish- 1 point
.800+ winning percentage- 1 point

Sub .500- (1 point)
Sub .300- (2 points)

I calculated 8 power schools that ended up with negative negative points. Poor Northwestern.

Negative Points (1985-Present)
Arizona State: -3
Colorado: -5
Oregon State: -9
Nebraska: -10
Penn State: -19
Washington State: -19
Rutgers: -20
Northwestern: -49

I would note that the Big Ten is the only conference that was never docked points for conference titles. They've had 4+ teams in the top 50 every year since 1985. Maybe it helps when you have 4 of the bottom 5 power schools in the sport?

Reactions: ExitFlagger
In before JC's mental breakdown. 😂 🤣

KU edges UNC eh? Nice! Didn't see that coming.

UNC was up 791-787 heading into the title game. Conference ships is ultimately what pulled them ahead. 26 conference titles compared to 15 for Carolina. Only years where the Big 12/Big 8 didn't have 4 schools in the top 50 were 1998 and 2007.

UNC was up 791-787 heading into the title game. Conference ships is ultimately what pulled them ahead. 26 conference titles compared to 15 for Carolina. Only years where the Big 12/Big 8 didn't have 4 schools in the top 50 were 1998 and 2007.

Naturally, KU would have had less conference titles in the ACC, but 11 is a pretty big advantage.

Reactions: dukedevilz
I'll update my all-time table sometime before the start of the season. Should have better results for the Kentucky faithful.

One Fvcking Final Four would have taken us from 28th to 25th. Damnit Painter (and Keady)!

Indiana at #15 and behind Gonzaga, Michigan, Florida, Syracuse , etc. Talk about a program of the past. 😂 You'd have to go to an ancient history museum to see those dusty trophies from a bygone era, right between the civil war uniforms and first automobile ever made.
Time framing-----I do that, right? ;)

Aren't you the one that's always trying to throw UK under the bus for championships they won in the 40s and 50s? Interesting. 😁
Nope. You have me confused with someone else. Titles are titles.

Indiana and UCLA obviously aren't quite what they used to be.

But, I think you could also say Georgetown and UNLV have both fallen flat on their faces. Two of the great programs in the 80's/90's.

Reactions: Kevin Bryan

But, I think you could also say Georgetown and UNLV have both fallen flat on their faces. Two of the great programs in the 80's/90's.
Makes sense for UCLA and Indiana to be so far down the list, 16 titles between them and only 2 have been in the modern era.

Reactions: dukedevilz

Especially the hoyas. they were monsters.

Id give more points to winning national championship, something like 50pts per title. 30 seems a little low considering the runner-up gets 20.

ADVERTISEMENT