ADVERTISEMENT

Grandpa advice?

Scotty00

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2008
At some point tomorrow I will become a first time grandpa at the tender age of 44. Although I know I’ll be a cool ass grandpa I’d still listen to any tips any of you have to offer!!!! Excited and scared to death at the same time.

Congrats.

dont spoil them and try not to undercut ur kids rules/discipline.

Most of all jist be there. For whatever they are into growing up. Availability is the best ability.

Also probly shouldnt do much sword play around the young one.

Congrats again hope everything goes well tommorow.

At some point tomorrow I will become a first time grandpa at the tender age of 44. Although I know I’ll be a cool ass grandpa I’d still listen to any tips any of you have to offer!!!! Excited and scared to death at the same time.
We all learn lessons as we go through life nd a lot of them have been painful. Do everything in your power to put the child on a sound path, so he/she can avoid many of those painful lesson that you had to learn the hard way. I suggest surrounding him/her with Orange at an early age. I'm willing to avail myself as your consultant at no charge to you for two reasons:

1 We have some history Scooter

2 To make the world a better place.

Congrats on the grandchild! 🙂

Im 49, and have 8 grand chidren....Just had my first biological grandchild 2 weeks ago..

Best tip(s)

1. Offer advice----when asked.
2. Offer advice incognito----Like,"ya know son, when you were a baby we would do this............"
3. Give space---Don't fret over not seeing the new one all the time. Eventually, you'll get your share.
4. Remember----there are also two other grandparents involved.

Being a grandparent is different----damn near as special as your own. Enjoy it my firend----its awesome.

Here I am at 40 and about to have my first child. Wow.
My kids were not good at reproducing.

They were probably scared of passing along bad genes! :rolleyes:

I have one grand daughter who was born when I was 55. I had a grandson born when I was 59. My granddaughter is a soph in college and my grandson was killed at 9 years old in a car wreck with a truck.

My advise is that you love grandkids like today is the last day of the world. They are our future. But they are not guaranteed to be here the next time you think that you will see them.

I spoiled my kids with everything that I could spoil them with. My carve-out was that I demanded excellence from them. I got excellence. They are both successful to a fault. Spoiling with discipline is a wonderful tool for adults raising kids.

The beauty of grandchildren is that you get the fun of having kids and you don’t have sleepless nights and changing dirty diapers.

My grandson is gone. I wished that I would have spoiled him more.

I have one grand daughter who was born when I was 55. I had a grandson born when I was 59. My granddaughter is a soph in college and my grandson was killed at 9 years old in a car wreck with a truck.

My advise is that you love grandkids like today is the last day of the world. They are our future. But they are not guaranteed to be here the next time you think that you will see them.

I spoiled my kids with everything that I could spoil them with. My carve-out was that I demanded excellence from them. I got excellence. They are both successful to a fault. Spoiling with discipline is a wonderful tool for adults raising kids.

The beauty of grandchildren is that you get the fun of having kids and you don’t have sleepless nights and changing dirty diapers.

Sorry to hear that man. I absolutely can’t imagine how hard that would be. I love everything about the grandpa life so far and I can’t see it getting anything but better. I love kids and do all I can to make them happy. I have several friends who have kids and they all call me “uncle Scotty”. I’m the fun uncle so to speak. As far as my grandson goes I’ll remember what you told me and never take it for granted. Prayers for you buddy!

Congrats.

dont spoil them and try not to undercut ur kids rules/discipline.

Most of all jist be there. For whatever they are into growing up. Availability is the best ability.

Also probly shouldnt do much sword play around the young one.

Congrats again hope everything goes well tommorow.
I am a grandparent, and Villian, I disagree with the bolded statement above.
Spoil the crap out of them, then they go home and the parents deals with it, them little cuties will love you to death and want to come back to be spoiled more. 👍 😉

I am a grandparent, and Villian, I disagree with the bolded statement above.
Spoil the crap out of them, then they go home and the parents deals with it, them little cuties will love you to death and want to come back to be spoiled more. 👍 😉
Haha yea im a parent and my parents spoil my kid rotten and then i have to play enforcer and my kid is starting to despise me for it lol. So what ur saying doesnt sit well with me, but ill probly change my tune if im ever lucky enough to be a grandparent.

there is a limit or accetable level of spoiling, then there is, your gonna turn that kid into a POS person, level of spoiling.

Older ppl talk about kids these days and how they are entitled and worthless, well yea the ones you spoil the shit out of are much more likely to turn out that way imo

Reactions: cdbearde
Haha yea im a parent and my parents spoil my kid rotten and then i have to play enforcer and my kid is starting to despise me for it lol. So what ur saying doesnt sit well with me, but ill probly change my tune if im ever lucky enough to be a grandparent.

there is a limit or accetable level of spoiling, then there is, your gonna turn that kid into a POS person, level of spoiling.

Older ppl talk about kids these days and how they are entitled and worthless, well yea the ones you spoil the shit out of are much more likely to turn out that way imo
Spoiling in my opinion is including the teaching of respect, honesty, and morals. It's more the little simple things like letting them run in the house, be loud, eat junk food, leave their toys out, taking out to eat or play at the park or an amusement park if you are with in driving distance. Six Flags is not that far from me, we could do a turn around, but we stay a night so they can stay later at the park. I was not talking about anything damaging to a child's personality. 😎

Ok yea we have diff definitions of spoiling.

To me spoiling a kid isnt teaching them anything or disciplining them at all. Just letting them run amuck as they choose to do which I personally feel is a terrible approach but diff strokes.

Reactions: Bert Higginbotha
Too late, Bert. Wish you had warned me 34 years ago. BTW, I was in your backyard yesterday. Smith Grove gun shop.
I just talked to a good old Barren County boy who married a Barren County girl. They live in Palm Springs, CA now. We discuss the evil women that we fell in love with.

The bottom line is that those Barren County women are wonderful. :)

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT