ADVERTISEMENT

Gonzagas actual numbers

ThePhog08

Gold Member
May 2, 2008
People year in and year out talk about the PPG and Defensive % of Gonzaga. Shocked GU is still #1 ranked team in the country. Completely undeserved IMO.

the only way to really judge GU is vs actual competition. Outside of St marys, most of the bottom of the B12, ACC, B10 and SEC would finish top3 in the WCC outside of GU and St Marys. Fact. Their conference is horse SHhh.

Lets compare GU's numbers vs people with a pulse vs. the rest of their schedule

vs Duke, Texas tech, Texas, UCLA, Alabama and St Marys x2

4-3

Points per game average = 76

PPG vs the rest of the schedule

24-0

FG% 46.6%

Vs everyone else

53.5%

Those 7 games vs real competition is only 25% of their games.

most of the bottom of the B12, ACC, B10 and SEC would finish top3 in the WCC outside of GU and St Marys. Fact.

San Francisco is ranked 24th by KenPom. So.... I'm going to have to say no on this.

Have you seen the Dons play? They have a pretty dominant inside-outside game between Bouyea and Massalski.

Santa Clara won on the road at TCU by 19 points (TCU is 5th in the Big 12). They also beat Stanford by 16. And they beat Saint Mary's at home.

BYU, the 5th place team in the league, is 50th by KenPom. They've beaten San Diego State and Oregon - as well as USF and Saint Mary's.

Gonzaga has a higher Quad 1 winning percentage (8-3, 72.8%) than Arizona, Kentucky, Baylor, Kansas, Villanova, Tennessee, Texas Tech, Auburn, and Purdue. So, there's that....

Gonzaga has 8 Quad 1 wins. The only schools in the top 25 with more Quad 1 wins than Gonzaga are Baylor and Kansas. And that's obviously because they have more Quad 1 games. #Facts

I’m guessing played plenty of non conference games with teams net 200 or below ??

Would be interesting to know what their algorithm is. Margin of victory I'm sure is factored in there somewhere. Wisconsin and Providence would both be higher if it was strictly based on wins and losses, even if it's weighted heavier for Quad 1/2 games.

Reactions: Bert Higginbotha
San Francisco is ranked 24th by KenPom. So.... I'm going to have to say no on this.

Have you seen the Dons play? They have a pretty dominant inside-outside game between Bouyea and Massalski.

Santa Clara won on the road at TCU by 19 points (TCU is 5th in the Big 12). They also beat Stanford by 16. And they beat Saint Mary's at home.

BYU, the 5th place team in the league, is 50th by KenPom. They've beaten San Diego State and Oregon - as well as USF and Saint Mary's.

Gonzaga has a higher Quad 1 winning percentage (8-3, 72.8%) than Arizona, Kentucky, Baylor, Kansas, Villanova, Tennessee, Texas Tech, Auburn, and Purdue. So, there's that....
St Mary's isn't very good. I watched that game when they beat Gonzaga and St Mary's looked terrible. Gonzaga just looked worse.

St Mary's isn't very good. I watched that game when they beat Gonzaga and St Mary's looked terrible. Gonzaga just looked worse.

That's a hot take.

Do you feel comfortable saying Saint Mary's went toe-to-toe with the Big Ten leader? Was a 2 point game with less than a minute left against Wisconsin. They play a very slow tempo. They play very aggressive on the defensive end. It's hard for teams to establish rhythm against SMC.

Worse thing about SMC against the Zags was Kuhse was a little careless with the ball - and Bowen missed a bunch of wide-open threes. But overall, not a bad performance against one of the best teams in the country, especially on the defensive end.

That's a hot take.

Do you feel comfortable saying Saint Mary's went toe-to-toe with the Big Ten leader? Was a 2 point game with less than a minute left against Wisconsin. They play a very slow tempo. They play very aggressive on the defensive end. It's hard for teams to establish rhythm against SMC.

Worse thing about SMC against the Zags was Kuhse was a little careless with the ball - and Bowen missed a bunch of wide-open threes. But overall, not a bad performance against one of the best teams in the country, especially on the defensive end.

It's the grind bro. They would be just another team in the Big 10. The teams and venues are just too much.

It's the grind bro. They would be just another team in the Big 10. The teams and venues are just too much.

Gonzaga and Saint Mary's would both lose multiple games in the Big 12 and Big Ten, no question.

That's not the argument I'm making. What I am contending, however, is the notion that a team in the bottom third of a power conference would be in the top 3 of the WCC. Absolutely not. Rubbish. San Francisco is a top 25 team by the metrics. And they pass the eye test, too.

I'm also contending the idea that Gonzaga's resume is fluff and they're not overly impressive against quality competition. I mean, really? You literally can't find a single school in America, outside of a few Big 12 schools, that have more Quad 1 wins than Gonzaga.

Gonzaga and Saint Mary's would both lose multiple games in the Big 12 and Big Ten, no question.

That's not the argument I'm making. What I am contending, however, is the notion that a team in the bottom third of a power conference would be in the top 3 of the WCC. Absolutely not. Rubbish. San Francisco is a top 25 team by the metrics. And they pass the eye test, too.

I'm also contending the idea that Gonzaga's resume is fluff and they're not overly impressive against quality competition. I mean, really? You literally can't find a single school in America, outside of a few Big 12 schools, that have more Quad 1 wins than Gonzaga.

I will say this, there seems to be a resurgence of West Coast basketball.

People year in and year out talk about the PPG and Defensive % of Gonzaga. Shocked GU is still #1 ranked team in the country. Completely undeserved IMO.

the only way to really judge GU is vs actual competition. Outside of St marys, most of the bottom of the B12, ACC, B10 and SEC would finish top3 in the WCC outside of GU and St Marys. Fact. Their conference is horse SHhh.

Lets compare GU's numbers vs people with a pulse vs. the rest of their schedule

4-3

Points per game average = 76

PPG vs the rest of the schedule

24-0

FG% 46.6%

Vs everyone else

53.5%

Those 7 games vs real competition is only 25% of their games.
Every year----And then all GOnzaga does is go to the ELite 8, FF, etc, etc....

Reactions: speedfrk
Gonzaga has 8 Quad 1 wins. The only schools in the top 25 with more Quad 1 wins than Gonzaga are Baylor and Kansas. And that's obviously because they have more Quad 1 games. #Facts

And Iowa St(9 q1 wins), but not top 25.

Q1 Win percentage
73.3% Baylor 4 Home 1 Neutral 10 Away
72.7% Gonzaga 3H 4N 4A
71.4% Kansas 3H 2N 9A
57.1% Kentucky 3H 2N 9A
56.2% Iowa St. 5H 2N 9A
53.3% Alabama 7H 2N 6A

Something seems to stand out in the Away Q1 category in the 8+ wins category....

Last edited:
Not the point. They would end up with shit seeds.
It is the point. Last year the Big 10 was considered the best conference with 8 bids to the tourney. The best OOC game the conference won was against Loyola Chicago. And then you only got 1 of your 8 seeds in the Sweet 16.

You all beat up on each other and then claim to be great because of it. Just because the Big 10 is competitive doesn’t mean that your teams are great. It means they are even.

It is the point. Last year the Big 10 was considered the best conference with 8 bids to the tourney. The best OOC game the conference won was against Loyola Chicago. And then you only got 1 of your 8 seeds in the Sweet 16.

You all beat up on each other and then claim to be great because of it. Just because the Big 10 is competitive doesn’t mean that your teams are great. It means they are even.

Gonzaga is an 8 loss teams every year, if they played in the Big 10 or SEC

There is a wide chasm between not playing a fluff schedule and being ranked #1. I think most of the Zags detractors just don't think they should be #1. Personally, I'm fine with it.

Reactions: dukedevilz
No. Gonzaga with the talent they get, would compete every single year for a B10 title...an ACC title...SEC, B12, etc, etc....

Look, its not like they are pony whipping shit teams, with no talent.

You cant name more than two teams, IF THAT, from any P5 conference that GU couldn't match talent wise....Timme, Chet, Salis, Bolton, HIckman.......

They would certainly lose more than 1-2 games, etc.....But they wouldn't be "just another team"---****, they'd probably win the B10 this year...And last...

No. Gonzaga with the talent they get, would compete every single year for a B10 title...an ACC title...SEC, B12, etc, etc....

You cant name more than two teams, IF THAT, from any P5 conference that GU couldn't match talent wise....Timme, Chet, Salis, Bolton, HIckman.......

They would certainly lose more than 1-2 games, etc.....But they wouldn't be "just another team"---****, they'd probably win the B10 this year...And last...

Yawn. Nope.

Yawn. Nope.
Loook, now----I don't ya trolling these other punk, biatchs. But you and I are dudes.

Gonzaga would, 100% compete for titles in the B10, ACC, SEC, Big12....No question. Especially the past 6 years----Few has ramped up his recruiting...Timme would be a handful....so would Chet. Bolton is solid as ****.. Nembhard and Strawther are really good----**** Hickman would start for a lot of teams---he's just stuck behind a very good trio of guards. Sallis is just a freshman----who is in the same boat as Hickman.

Gonzaga is really good, and really talented.

Reactions: Mr.Razorback
I respect them.

But they don't have to play in tough environments of 15-20k. It's just not the same challenges. Grind of facing 4 to 5 star rostered talented opponents. Playing at a fired up East Lansing is just a different animal than playing at St Mary's. Then a quick turn around at Penn St ain't the same as Pepperdine. It just isn't.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: hawkit3113
No chance, the Zags would run away with the Big 10 this year. Your best team Purdue doesn't play a lick of defense. What we have is a conference of mostly good and a few great but no elite teams beating up on each other and raising their SOS and SOR.

I've seen much worse teams in power leagues end up with better records. Gonzaga would definitely lose more in power conferences but they suddenly wouldn't fall apar

Reactions: hawkit3113

There are 3 - 5 teams in the SEC that match up well with the zags. KY, AU, obviously Bama, TN, and Arky

There are 3 - 5 teams in the SEC that match up well with the zags. KY, AU, obviously Bama, TN, and Arky
And you have to add LSU, in fact LSU is a team that could really give them problems. They play knock your teeth out D.

Not pointing to this year necessarily... just in general over the years...the Zags current league, there's just not much chance a team is going to blow them out either. No 15-25 beat down gonna happen against the Zags out there when is the last time that happened?

Ever?

It can and probably would happen in a power league, no show against just a better than avg team and get it handed to you we've seen it happen to a lot of good teams....and you never know how a team reacts after that. Or play decent and still get taken to the shed.

Not trying to crap on 'em it's just different challenges they don't have to go through. as is.

Last edited:
, there's just not much chance a team is going to blow them out either. No 15-25 beat down gonna happen against the Zags out there when is the last time that happened?

Ever?

Baylor beat them by 16 last year for the championship. 18 point loss against Michigan in 2019. 2018 15pt loss to FSU, 16pt loss Nova. 23pt loss to Arizona in 2014. 19pt loss to St. Mary's in 2012. So it happens.

I think UK had about that many last year alone. :oops:

Bigger question for me is, how is Houston #3 in the NET with zero Quad 1 wins??

Really? I think UNC has 1 so maybe the Heels should be number two.

giphy.gif

Reactions: dukedevilz
San Fran and BYU won’t, or shouldn’t, be tournament teams. BYU has some good wins. They have some bad losses.

In a conference that gets 6 teams in the field, these two would be no better than 7th; probably 10th or worse.

Gonzaga is really good. There’s also a reason they don’t often play to seed.

Baylor beat them by 16 last year for the championship. 18 point loss against Michigan in 2019. 2018 15pt loss to FSU, 16pt loss Nova. 23pt loss to Arizona in 2014. 19pt loss to St. Mary's in 2012. So it happens.

I think UK had about that many last year alone. :oops:
In beginning of my paragraph I said in their current league. So St Mary's blew them out once 10yrs ago.

I meant if they played in a power league it can and would probably happen. Meaning more challenges if they played in a power league. Potential for blowouts like the ones you listed from non conference.

Reactions: I am stupid
I respect them.

But they don't have to play in tough environments of 15-20k. It's just not the same challenges. Grind of facing 4 to 5 star rostered talented opponents. Playing at a fired up East Lansing is just a different animal than playing at St Mary's. Then a quick turn around at Penn St ain't the same as Pepperdine. It just isn't.
Man, I mean to an extent, I agree....But those gyms that are right on top of you---are fukin' loud, crazy and intimidating...St.Mary's might only have 4,000 people----but those muther****ers are damn near in your lap......And there's not a bunch of 65+ year old, billionaire donors hogging up the good seats---students are right there----ONT THE FLOOR.

When I worked int he GLVC, some of those places, especially when USI or KWC came to town? JFC-----crazy.

No there'sno venue in the WCC that compares to Rupp, Breslin, AH, AFH or CIS, etc, etc....But it doesn't mean those places are not hard to win at-----They are.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT