ADVERTISEMENT

Gonzagas actual numbers

cals done great this year. i’m concerned however with how little responsibility he’s taken, at least publicly for last season. he seems to be blaming it almost entirely on covid which is an awful cop out. maybe try a little harder to maintain some semblence of roster stability going forward instead of trying to recruit your starting lineup every year.

We definitely should've won more than 9 games last year. We were in a lot of close games. Just didn't have anyone to make a big time shot or a competent PG to make a winning play. Our kenpom luck rating was 354. That's nearly dead last.

Also, if you watched UK last year and came away thinking BJ Boston was "very talented" you are braindead. Made terrible plays and took terrible shots. He did nothing well. Cal should've benched Askew and Boston, but he didn't really have anyone to bench them for. I guess Dontaie could've gotten more minutes but he hasn't proven himself worthy of playing time. Dude's shooting 18% from three and can't guard a fencepost.

I wouldn't give him COTY but Cal has done a fabulous job this year. Anyone saying otherwise is just a Cal hater.
But that's all we're talking about. COY.

It's pretty silly to bring somebody's name into the conversation who no one else is discussing, and calling anyone who disagrees a hater.

And plenty of talented players take terrible shots. That goes back to coaching too.

"Not do shit" = same number of titles as Calipari.
Self's been at a blue blood longer. Calipari took Self toe to toe at a place like Memphis, took Pitino toe to toe at a place lke UMass. Since Cal's been at UK. It's a different story.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong but did UK gain a game on KU so far this year?

But that's all we're talking about. COY.

It's pretty silly to bring somebody's name into the conversation who no one else is discussing, and calling anyone who disagrees a hater.

And plenty of talented players take terrible shots. That goes back to coaching too.

Whose name did I bring up that wasn't being discussed? I mentioned Cal, Boston, Askew, and Dontaie Allen. Every single one of those names had been talked about in a previous post. Yes, you're a hater if you don't think Cal has done a very good job coaching this year.

Like I said, if you think Boston's very talented, you don't have an eye for talent. He's a long athlete that takes awful shots, can't make open shots, can't finish at the rim, can't defend one on one, and is not a very good passer. The only thing he was good at was playing passing lanes. He's raised his shooting % all the way up to 37% since he got to the NBA though. What a stud. Where is all this talent you think he has?

You're right it was bad coaching. Cal should've benched his ass and not played him instead of watching him pass up open shots to drive into three defenders all year.

Reactions: RipThru
Whose name did I bring up that wasn't being discussed? I mentioned Cal, Boston, Askew, and Dontaie Allen. Every single one of those names had been talked about in a previous post. Yes, you're a hater if you don't think Cal has done a very good job coaching this year.

Like I said, if you think Boston's very talented, you don't have an eye for talent. He's a long athlete that takes awful shots, can't make open shots, can't finish at the rim, can't defend one on one, and is not a very good passer. The only thing he was good at was playing passing lanes. He's raised his shooting % all the way up to 37% since he got to the NBA though. What a stud. Where is all this talent you think he has?

You're right it was bad coaching. Cal should've benched his ass and not played him instead of watching him pass up open shots to drive into three defenders all year.
I wasn't saying that you brought him up.

So you're saying that an NBA player has no talent?

Always got an excuse for ole Dollar Bill don’t you? 😂. #72-40

Yeah, you usually have to play for a winner or put up insane numbers to earn those awards. Again, asking for more than 9 wins isn't asking a lot here.

I like how you're trying to spin common sense into something controversial.
You’re so far from common sense you can’t see common sense. 😂. If these dudes were so talented, you’d think at least ONE would have made an all conference team. Your argument is officially shot down. At least this one is. You’ve moved the goalposts 1173 times in this thread

WTF? You'll crown a team that actually played and failed, but not the team that didn't get the opportunity. Okay then. 🤣

Pretty funny that you object to calling KU the best team in 2020 while anointing Kentucky the best of 2015.
You’re free to call em whatever you want. Just not regional champs. Or national champs.

We definitely should've won more than 9 games last year. We were in a lot of close games. Just didn't have anyone to make a big time shot or a competent PG to make a winning play. Our kenpom luck rating was 354. That's nearly dead last.

Also, if you watched UK last year and came away thinking BJ Boston was "very talented" you are braindead. Made terrible plays and took terrible shots. He did nothing well. Cal should've benched Askew and Boston, but he didn't really have anyone to bench them for. I guess Dontaie could've gotten more minutes but he hasn't proven himself worthy of playing time. Dude's shooting 18% from three and can't guard a fencepost.

I wouldn't give him COTY but Cal has done a fabulous job this year. Anyone saying otherwise is just a Cal hater.
Don’t try to reason with the Bill Self sack swinger. 😂

Self's been at a blue blood longer. Calipari took Self toe to toe at a place like Memphis, took Pitino toe to toe at a place lke UMass. Since Cal's been at UK. It's a different story.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong but did UK gain a game on KU so far this year?

Ha....'08 Memphis was more talented than a lot of his Kentucky teams. He had more than capable teams his last several years at Memphis. Just didn't do shit. By your definition anyway.

Let me clue you in on another tidbit. The NBA has so much damned money they’ll take a chance on a 6’8 20 year old. He will be overseas in 2 years

Ha....'08 Memphis was more talented than a lot of his Kentucky teams. He had more than capable teams his last several years at Memphis. Just didn't do shit. By your definition anyway.
He lost that game because of FTs. Not because of anything Dollar Bill did or didn’t do

Always got an excuse for ole Dollar Bill don’t you? 😂. #72-40
Really? Let's run down your list of excuses...."Poorly constructed," "PG didn't live up to his ranking," "Clarke only played 8 games"....did I miss any? Covid? Male menopause?

My mistake I thought you were saying I brought it up.

No, but he most certainly is not very talented IMO. That team was just not very good. Poor recruiting and a mediocre coaching job by Cal with average players that didn't fit.

Still should've won more than 9 games. They lost 7 games by a total 10 points. Very poor execution at the end of games cost them a lot. Most of that's on the coach, but players have to make plays too.

Reactions: ExitFlagger
Don’t try to reason with the Bill Self sack swinger. 😂
Guy making excuses for 9 ****ing wins is calling me the sack swinger. This is good stuff. 🤣

He should be able to win 9 games with 5 goofs from the Lexington YMCA.

He lost that game because of FTs. Not because of anything Dollar Bill did or didn’t do

He had nothing to do with it? How about the decision to foul with over 2 min on the clock and put one of the worst FT shooting teams in the country on the line. Or the designed play he ran to get Chalmers a shot?

Dollar Bill is always funny. Let me guess...you're one of those who still clings to the belief that Anthony Davis wasn't paid and Hagans was flashing fake bills? 😂

Dang, I thought this was z Gonzaga thread, wth happened?

Anyway, here's a panel discussion on Gonzaga and a bunch of other topics.

The host brings up a lot of solid points and I agree with him, but he's wrong on Drew Timme on one thing, he doesn't struggle against bigger lineups. Against Duke, TT, Tx, Alabama and UCLA, DT averaged a double double and IIRC, he scored 15ppg. That’s pretty good.

Now Chet is a different story. He kills Pepperdine and Portland type teams, but against those power 5 teams, he averaged 10 & 8.

The rest of the stuff, I agree with, they should not get a 1 seed. That is an awful, awful conference and I don't care that smc is ranked, they look like a bunch of high school kids out there. I pray the selection committee falls for their hype and puts them in UK's path.

Watch "Is Gonzaga Overrated?" on YouTube

I'm gonna say "no" to San Fran. They are just less bad than the rest, but they're not a good team. They haven't played anybody outside of Gonzaga and St Mary's, and they're 0-4 in those games. They wouldn't finish in the top 2/3 of any major conference.

They lost to St. Mary's twice by a combined 7 points. They easily could have won both games. SMC is probably the better squad. But, the gap isn't that large. They're fairly evenly matched.

USF doesn't have any top 40 wins. That's their downfall. But, look at their record against teams ranked between 40-100 - and compare that to a few power schools that are just on the wrong side of the bubble (supposedly schools they're stealing a bid from).

Record versus teams ranked between 40-100
San Francisco: 9-2
Indiana: 5-5
Florida: 4-3

USF is way more consistent. The analytics are in their favor. And honestly, I think the eye test is, as well.

And if you look at bracketmatrix, you'll see that there are 85 brackets listed in the composite rankings. USF is ranked 35th on the S-Curve. And there are 11 at-large schools below them. They are comfortably in the tournament at this point.

They'd probably finish dead last or near last in just about every P5 conference.

Bahahaaha. You're being hyperbolic, right? Surely! Surely!

Do you really think a team that's in the top 40 by every computer ranking out there is going to struggle with the likes of Pittsburgh, Georgetown, Nebraska, Oregon State, and Georgia?
KenPom has some uses, but it's highly deceiving when teams have a bunch of wins against below average teams.

Let me get this straight. Non-P6 schools represent 79% of all D1 schools and 25% of the schools in the top 40. And somehow the numbers are unfairly weighted???

Why aren't South Dakota State, Vermont, Toledo, Belmont, Princeton, Longwood and Wagner also in the top 40-50? They certainly have some gaudy records against below average teams. It's funny how dismissive people are of non-power schools, especially of one that has played more than half of their games against top 100 opponents.

I'll ask you the same question that I asked AuHoosier420. Have you watched San Francisco play a whole half this season? I'm not convinced that you have.

Here's a fun fact. In the last 5 tournaments, 41 Non-P6 schools have won in the opening round. That's an average of 8.2 per year - or 25.6%. So, Non-power schools represent 25% of the top 40 teams and roughly 25% of the teams in the Round of 32. It almost looks like the metrics are fairly representing them.

ISU was at or near the top in KenPom at one point this season, now they're near the bottom of the Big XII, after they finally started playing some competition.

They're actually in 6th place. So, let's call it middle of the pack. And they're projected to be an 8 seed. So, not a good example of a supposed bottom-dweller that would make USF look bad. A real bottom-dweller is a sub-100 team - and there are plenty of those to be found. There's a combined 11 sub-100 schools between the ACC and Pac-12 alone.

Good on Santa Clara, but TCU early in the season is not the same as they are now. For one, they were missing two of their starters in that game, and they also were a team with a lot of new pieces who were trying to figure out how to play together.

And you could say the same about Santa Clara. Do teams only progress from power conferences? Is it possible for mid-majors to get better as the season goes on? Just two weeks ago Santa Clara gave Gonzaga their toughest game of the 2022 calendar year (until the SMC loss). And prior to that game, SCU also beat Saint Mary's and BYU.

And you know what else? Santa Clara was missing Josip Vrankic, a 1st Team All-WCC performer, in the TCU game. So no, TCU doesn't simply deserve a pass. They lost emphatically.

BYU? Again, you're going to struggle to convince me that a team that lost to Utah Valley, Creighton, and Vanderbilt(near the bottom of the SEC) is good. No, they aren't terrible, but they are still a team that any top 10 team should expect to beat easily. Yes, BYU did have a weird win over Oregon, but that's kind of the schtick of the PAC 12, a bunch of athletic teams that are extremely bi-polar. They'll come out and beat a top 10 team one night and lose by 20 to a bad team the next.

I think BYU and Santa Clara are more NIT teams, FWIW. But, I think SMC and USF are clearly tournament teams. BYU lost their starting center after the Utah win. Next game was against UVU. Also, they were missing another starter against UVU. Haven't been impressed with their play as of late, so unless they show us something in the WCC Tournament, I don't think they deserve a bid.

Regarding their Quad 1 wins, sure. But there are Quad 1 wins and then there are Quad 1 wins. Some teams play a bunch of Quad 1 teams that are near the top of the Quad and other teams play a bunch of Quad 1 teams that are flirting with Quad 2. Gonzaga usually plays a couple games against those Quad 1 teams near the top, and a bunch of teams that are borderline Quad 2.

All of that being said, Gonzaga is a very good team and I do believe they're a legit top 5 team. But the arguments that their schedule isn't that bad are not great arguments. They're a very good team that plays a shit schedule. They do try to make up for it in the noncon, but they can't really make up for their conference schedule by playing a couple good teams in the noncon.

Once you account for the two WCC tournament games, Gonzaga will have played 16 games against WCC schools. And 8 of those will be Quad 1 Games. Heck, Duke has only played 3 Quad 1 Games in 20 ACC Games. Zags will have played 4 consecutive Quad 1 games heading into the tournament.

Gonzaga does have an advantage with all of those Q4 games. That looks to be more the works of their OOC season more than their WCC schedule. What I told another poster, perhaps in this very thread, is Gonzaga is 28-7 (80%) in games against top 50 teams from 2015, 2017, 2019, 2021, and 2022 (years where they were getting a 1 or 2 seed). So, I'm sure they might drop an occasional Quad 2 game. But, they would still win 90% of those contests.

come on now. san francisco has 1 win against a power 5 team.

You do realize that USF has only played one P6 school, right? And it was a road game.

I mean, USF did beat Virginia, the 2021 ACC Champs, last year. And they are FAR better this season. I'm not saying they're going to have an extremely strong run in the tournament. But, they are capable of winning a game or two.

Last edited:
They lost to St. Mary's twice by a combined 7 points. They easily could have won both games. SMC is probably the better squad. But, the gap isn't that large. They're fairly evenly matched.

USF doesn't have any top 40 wins. That's their downfall. But, look at their record against teams ranked between 40-100 - and compare that to a few power schools that are just on the wrong side of the bubble (supposedly schools they're stealing a bid from).

Record versus teams ranked between 40-100
San Francisco: 9-2
Indiana: 5-5
Florida: 4-3

USF is way more consistent. The analytics are in their favor. And honestly, I think the eye test is, as well.

And if you look at bracketmatrix, you'll see that there are 85 brackets listed in the composite rankings. USF is ranked 35th on the S-Curve. And there are 11 at-large schools below them. They are comfortably in the tournament at this point.

Bahahaaha. You're being hyperbolic, right? Surely! Surely!

Do you really think a team that's in the top 40 by every computer ranking out there is going to struggle with the likes of Pittsburgh, Georgetown, Nebraska, Oregon State, and Georgia?

Let me get this straight. Non-P6 schools represent 79% of all D1 schools and 25% of the schools in the top 40. And somehow the numbers are unfairly weighted???

Why aren't South Dakota State, Vermont, Toledo, Belmont, Princeton, Longwood and Wagner also in the top 40-50? They certainly have some gaudy records against below average teams. It's funny how dismissive people are of non-power schools, especially of one that has played more than half of their games against top 100 opponents.

I'll ask you the same question that I asked AuHoosier420. Have you watched San Francisco play a whole half this season? I'm not convinced that you have.

Here's a fun fact. In the last 5 tournaments, 41 Non-P6 schools have won in the opening round. That's an average of 8.2 per year - or 25.6%. So, Non-power schools represent 25% of the top 40 teams and roughly 25% of the teams in the Round of 32. It's almost looks like the metrics are fairly representing them.

They're actually in 6th place. So, let's call it middle of the road. And they're projected to be an 8 seed. So, not a good example.

And you could say the same about Santa Clara. Do teams only progress from power conferences? Is it possible for mid-majors to get better as the season goes on? Just two weeks ago Santa Clara gave Gonzaga their toughest game of the 2022 calendar year (until the SMC loss). And prior to that game, SCU also beat Saint Mary's and BYU.

And you know what else? Santa Clara was missing Josip Vrankic, a 1st Team All-WCC performer, in the TCU game. So no, TCU doesn't simply deserve a pass. They lost emphatically.

I think BYU and Santa Clara are more NIT teams, FWIW. But, I think SMC and USF are clearly tournament teams. BYU lost their starting center after the Utah win. Next game was against UVU. Also, they were missing another starter against UVU. Haven't been impressed with their play as of late, so unless they show us something in the WCC Tournament, I don't think they deserve a bid.

Once you account for the two WCC tournament games, Gonzaga will have played 16 games against WCC schools. And 8 of those will be Quad 1 Games. Heck, Duke has only played 3 Quad 1 Games in 20 ACC Games. Zags will have played 4 consecutive Quad 1 games heading into the tournament.

Gonzaga does have an advantage with all of those Q4 games. That looks to be more the works of their OOC season more than their WCC schedule. What I told another poster, perhaps in this very thread, is Gonzaga is 28-7 (80%) in games against top 50 teams from 2015, 2017, 2019, 2021, and 2022 (years where they were getting a 1 or 2 seed). So, I'm sure they might drop an occasional Quad 2 game. But, they would still win 90% of those contests.

You do realize that USF has only played one P6 school, right? And it was a road game.

I mean, USF did beat Virginia, the 2021 ACC Champs, last year. And they are FAR better this season. I'm not saying they're going to have an extremely strong run in the tournament. But, they are capable of winning a game or two.

They’ll win one game max. I can’t remember the last time a team from the wcc not named gonzaga has made it past the first weekend.

Granted they don’t get a ton of teams in. Usually they get one other besides gonzaga. at least in the last decade. Seems like it’s just alternated between byu and st mary’s.

Either way it doesn’t say much for the strength of the conference.

They’ll win one game max. I can’t remember the last time a team from the wcc not named gonzaga has made it past the first weekend.

Granted they don’t get a ton of teams in. Usually they get one other besides gonzaga. at least in the last decade. Seems like it’s just alternated between byu and st mary’s.

Either way it doesn’t say much for the strength of the conference.

I'm not saying they're anywhere near a power conference. Obviously they're not. This year, I'd say the top 4 in the WCC is reasonably comparable to the top 4 in the ACC, however.

Saint Mary's, San Francisco, BYU, and Santa Clara are a combined 7-4 against power conferences this year. So, I do find it silly when some think these teams would be at the bottom of a power conference. Middle of the packs, perhaps. Slightly below average for BYU and Santa Clara, okay. But, you're not getting that many ACC-Pac 12 teams ahead of the likes of SMC and USF.

BYU had Final Four potential in 2020. High potent offense. Unfortunately for them, that team never got to play in the tournament. The 2017 Saint Mary's team was really good, but they ultimately lost in the 2nd Round to a super talented Arizona squad. BYU last found themselves in the Sweet 16 in 2011 (last year in the MWC), while Saint Mary's last advanced to the Sweet 16 in 2010 when they knocked off Villanova in the 2nd Round. Yes, it's been a while. These schools aren't really built for long runs in March, but they often are solid teams that consistently rank in the top 50.

I don't think either Saint Mary's or San Francisco is as good as '20 BYU or '17 Saint Mary's. But even still, both are capable of winning a game or two in the tournament.

Sometimes you have to use your eyes instead of the numbers, which are greatly inflated.

There is no way Gonzaga is what the numbers say they are. They’re good, but they're not 'best in the country' good.

This is one of the many flaws with the metrics. They can't compensate for things like road environments. Gonzaga is playing road games (very very few road games actually) in 3500 seat arenas, against some very small and unathletic teams.

Meanwhile, everyone else is playing in jacked up 20,000 seat arenas, against teams loaded with big dudes that are athletic as hell.

I want to believe in teams like BYU, SMC and SF, but when I watch them, they look like advanced high school athletes to me. Can any of them even dunk?

Lastly, yes, some of those WCC schools have some decent OOC wins, but those were in November and most were played at neutral venues. If they played those games now, they'd get hammered, no doubt in my mind.

I was a believer in last years Gonzaga team, they were legit. Jalen Suggs was amazing, but they don’t have a guy like him this year.

If this Gonzaga team played in the BIG12, BIG10, or the SEC, they would have a lot more losses, their metrics would look much different and if I had to guess, they'd be much closer to a 3 seed than a 1.

Gotta use your eyes.

Sometimes you have to use your eyes instead of the numbers, which are greatly inflated.

Use your eyes? Really? Because when you ask a question like the quoted section below, it sounds like you haven't actually watched WCC teams, outside of a few random 4-minute segments.

I want to believe in teams like BYU, SMC and SF, but when I watch them, they look like advanced high school athletes to me. Can any of them even dunk?

If you watched the Gonzaga/Saint Mary's game, it couldn't have been more than a few minutes. Logan Johnson is one of the better athletes in the country. His older brother, Tyler, has had a decent NBA career.

This is one of the many flaws with the metrics. They can't compensate for things like road environments. Gonzaga is playing road games (very very few road games actually) in 3500 seat arenas, against some very small and unathletic teams.

Meanwhile, everyone else is playing in jacked up 20,000 seat arenas, against teams loaded with big dudes that are athletic as hell.

Gonzaga has 3 Quad 1 road wins. Texas Tech has 2. Guess who had more opportunities?

Also, would it surprise you to know that during the 2021 season, where fans weren't in attendance, that the road teams won at comparable rates to 2020 and 2022? They were slightly better, but it wasn't exactly a neutral court. Many overlook this fact, as court familiarity is HUGE - mostly because of sight lines and depth perception. When asked about this phenomenon last year, Jim Boeheim said something to the effect of, "I guess home crowds aren't as important as we thought they were."

Here are the road winning percentages from the last 3 seasons

2020- 35.16%
2021- 39.25%
2022- 37.87%

It doesn't really matter how big the arena is. Duke has a small arena. No one ever calls Cameron a quiet place. Gonzaga has one of the 10 loudest arenas in the country. And honestly, Saint Mary's the other night was extremely noisy. Sean Farnham commented on the SMC crowd factor several times. And you do know that BYU has one of the largest arenas in the country, right? They have a pretty good student section themselves. The clip below was the Gonzaga game in Provo from two years ago, which they lost.

Lastly, yes, some of those WCC schools have some decent OOC wins, but those were in November and most were played at neutral venues. If they played those games now, they'd get hammered, no doubt in my mind.

Sure, teams 2-5 in the WCC went 7-4 against P6 schools. But yeah, if they played now, it would be TOTALLY different. They'd get hammered. That's a lazy argument, with no basis. If these power schools are so much better than everyone else, why are we getting 8 Non-P6 schools in the Round of 32 every year?

As far as the strength of the WCC, look at it this way. There are 282 schools outside of the Power 6 conferences. By the metrics, the WCC has the #1, #3, and #5 schools.

Use your eyes? Really? Because when you ask a question like the quoted section below, it sounds like you haven't actually watched WCC teams, outside of a few random 4-minute segments.

If you watched the Gonzaga/Saint Mary's game, it couldn't have been more than a few minutes. Logan Johnson is one of the better athletes in the country. His older brother, Tyler, has had a decent NBA career.

Gonzaga has 3 Quad 1 road wins. Texas Tech has 2. Guess who had more opportunities?

Also, would it surprise you to know that during the 2021 season, where fans weren't in attendance, that the road teams won at comparable rates to 2020 and 2022? They were slightly better, but it wasn't exactly a neutral court. Many overlook this fact, as court familiarity is HUGE - mostly because of sight lines and depth perception. When asked about this phenomenon last year, Jim Boeheim said something to the effect of, "I guess home crowds aren't as important as we thought they were."

2020- 35.16%
2021- 39.25%
2022- 37.87%

It doesn't really matter how big the arena is. Duke has a small arena. No one ever calls Cameron a quiet place. Gonzaga has one of the 10 loudest arenas in the country. And honestly, Saint Mary's the other night was extremely noisy. Sean Farnham commented on the SMC crowd factor several times. And you do know that BYU has one of the largest arenas in the country, right? They have a pretty good student section themselves. The clip below was the Gonzaga game in Provo from two years ago, which they lost.

Sure, teams 2-5 in the WCC went 7-4 against P6 schools. But yeah, if they played now, it would be TOTALLY different. They'd get hammered. That's a lazy argument, with no basis. If these power schools are so much better than everyone else, why are we getting 8 Non-P6 schools in the Round of 32 every year?

As far as the strength of the WCC, look at it this way. There are 282 schools outside of the Power 6 conferences. By the metrics, the WCC has the #1, #3, and #5 schools.
Jeez man, you put a whole lot of effort into defending the WCC.

Cool, you think they're great, I don't. I think they're overhyped and not very good at all.

Of course they can dunk, my comment was an obvious exaggeration.

Jeez man, you put a whole lot of effort into defending the WCC.

Cool, you think they're great, I don't. I think they're overhyped and not very good at all.

Of course they can dunk, my comment was an obvious exaggeration.

Haha I'm just defending reality. And there are more than enough facts to back it up.

I hear the some lazy arguments about Gonzaga every year. Which is crazy, because the Zags have won 3 more games than any other school in the past 6 tournaments. Now that other WCC schools are being reasonably successful, they're being attacked too for being in a "weak conference." They're clearly not on Gonzaga's level, but SMC and USF could both win a game or two in the tournament.

I watch all Power 6 conferences. And I watch a good 3 WCC games a weak. From my eye test, this is the range where I might rank the top 5 WCC schools.

Gonzaga: Top 5
Saint Mary's: 21-25
San Francisco: 26-35
BYU: 51-60
Santa Clara: 66-75

So, in my estimation it's a 1 seed, a 6 seed, maybe a 7-8 seed, and then 2 NIT teams. Although, BYU makes the tournament if they beat USF tonight. You're looking at 3 NCAAT teams, possibly 4 with BYU. And one 1 NIT. Not bad for a mid-major.

The bottom-half of the league is trash. But, the top half of the league is nothing to dismiss. And WCC doesn't play a true round robin. This is to help schools like Gonzaga and SMC have stronger strengths of schedule so they don't have to play the weaker schools twice.

Haha I'm just defending reality. And there are more than enough facts to back it up.

I hear the some lazy arguments about Gonzaga every year. Which is crazy, because the Zags have won 3 more games than any other school in the past 6 tournaments. Now that other WCC schools are being reasonably successful, they're being attacked too for being in a "weak conference." They're clearly not on Gonzaga's level, but SMC and USF could both win a game or two in the tournament.

I watch all Power 6 conferences. And I watch a good 3 WCC games a weak. From my eye test, this is the range where I might rank the top 5 WCC schools.

So, in my estimation it's a 1 seed, a 6 seed, maybe a 7-8 seed, and then 2 NIT teams. Although, BYU makes the tournament if they beat USF tonight. You're looking at 3 NCAAT teams, possibly 4 with BYU. And one 1 NIT. Not bad for a mid-major.

The bottom-half of the league is trash. But, the top half of the league is nothing to dismiss. And WCC doesn't play a true round robin. This is to help schools like Gonzaga and SMC have stronger strengths of schedule so they don't have to play the weaker schools twice.
We'll see in a few weeks just how good they are.

Winning games in that conference, when you only have a few teams to really worry abouy, is not the same as it is in power 5 conferences, where you are on alert every night.

I look at the product on the court and I get it, those schools are running what they have to run given their personnel, but smc would get hammered in a legit conference and I say that because they're small and unathletic. They have mid major size and athletesism. Sure, they might beat a Mississippi State on the road, but 3 days later, when they get Auburn at home, then 3 days later they’re on the road at Tennessee etc etc… they're going to take a lot of losses.

Gonzaga has more wins, yes, but 2 final fours, no titles and they got a lot of those wins because they were given higher seeds than they should have gotten.

Those are my takes on Gonzaga and the WCC. I don't see what uou see in them this year. Gonzaga's guards aren't good enough to get that team to a FF. They look like a sweet 16 team to me and smc might win a game.

2020- 35.16%
2021- 39.25%
2022- 37.87%

To be fair, Logan Johnson might be the only good athlete on St Mary’s.

And, of course, we all know that not all quad 1 wins are equal. Beating the #75 ranked team on the road isn’t the same as beating a top 5 team.

And are you sure that Texas Tech only has 2 quad 1 road wins? Either way, winning in Waco and Austin and losing in 2 OT in AFH is a little more impressive than what Gonzaga’s done on the road.

Reactions: kyjeff1
Those are my takes on Gonzaga and the WCC. I don't see what uou see in them this year. Gonzaga's guards aren't good enough to get that team to a FF. They look like a sweet 16 team to me and smc might win a game.

Did you see the Bob Cousy Award Finalists? The list was unbelievably pedestrian. Collin Gillespie is the only serious All-American candidate among the 5 finalists. FWIW, Nembhard was one of the 5 finalists. So, I would agree that Gonzaga's backcourt isn't up to the standards of a typical Final Four contender. But guess what, there aren't exactly superior backcourts to be found anywhere in college hoops. There are a few dominant guards, but not exactly a dynamic duo like with what we've seen in previous years with Baylor, Gonzaga, Virginia, and Villanova.

So you throw in a solid point guard in Nembhard, with arguably the best frontcourt in the country in Timme and Chet - and run a fast tempo and highly efficient offense. Yes, they could lose in the Sweet 16. But, I'd also argue that they have as a high a ceiling as anybody.

I think you're listening a little too much to the guy in the video. I mean, he brought up Oklahoma and Mississippi State as teams that could rough up Gonzaga. That's laughable.

And are you sure that Texas Tech only has 2 quad 1 road wins? Either way, winning in Waco and Austin and losing in 2 OT in AFH is a little more impressive than what Gonzaga’s done on the road.

Texas Tech is 3-6 on the road. Only 2 of those were Quad 1 Games. And yes, not all Quad 1 games are equal. So, I'll give them that. But, only winning 1 out of 3 of those contests? That's not impressive.

Gonzaga handled Texas and Texas Tech quite handily. Pretty confident they could stumble a bit and still comfortably go at least 5-4 with the same schedule.

Here's my basic summary of the WCC...

The bottom 5 teams are trash. They truly resemble a mid-major conference

The top 4-5 teams are right on par with the Pac-12 and ACC. Obviously the conference lacks depth. And they're no where near the level of Big 12, Big Ten, SEC, or Big East. But, come on, what did I say that was so egregious? My argument is essentially they're just as good as the metrics and bracket projections make them out to be.

BTW, can we stop with KU being the best during the cancel tournament year. Many teams were peaking. Revisionist history is worse than Helm's banners.
They were though. They won their last 19 games of the year and literally just beat Baylor on the road, and that game was never really in doubt. That same Baylor team won it all the next year. KU would have been the #1 overall seed and it wouldn’t have been close really. I’m sure other teams were peaking, but KU was dominant. Our best team since ‘08 and healthy.

Did you see the Bob Cousy Award Finalists? The list was unbelievably pedestrian. Collin Gillespie is the only serious All-American candidate among the 5 finalists. FWIW, Nembhard was one of the 5 finalists. So, I would agree that Gonzaga's backcourt isn't up to the standards of a typical Final Four contender. But guess what, there aren't exactly superior backcourts to be found anywhere in college hoops. There are a few dominant guards, but not exactly a dynamic duo like with what we've seen in previous years with Baylor, Gonzaga, Virginia, and Villanova.

So you throw in a solid point guard in Nembhard, with arguably the best frontcourt in the country in Timme and Chet - and run a fast tempo and highly efficient offense. Yes, they could lose in the Sweet 16. But, I'd also argue that they have as a high a ceiling as anybody.

I think you're listening a little too much to the guy in the video. I mean, he brought up Oklahoma and Mississippi State as teams that could rough up Gonzaga. That's laughable.

Texas Tech is 3-6 on the road. Only 2 of those were Quad 1 Games. And yes, not all Quad 1 games are equal. So, I'll give them that. But, only winning 1 out of 3 of those contests? That's not impressive.

Gonzaga handled Texas and Texas Tech quite handily. Pretty confident they could stumble a bit and still comfortably go at least 5-4 with the same schedule.
You know that home and road results tend to be drastically different. They handled St Mary’s at home too and got smoked on the road (and not exactly in a raucous environment). I think Tech has improved quite a bit since then too.

I’m confused by the 1 of 3 stat. What is that referring to? They definitely have at least two quad 1 road wins. They beat Baylor and Texas on the road.

Can't believe Tech lost today to Oklahoma State today- then again, it was the Cowboys last game today of the season..

Damn man, do you have a job?

• Haha
Reactions: kyjeff1
Considering that Wisconsin was picked to finished 10th in the conference. Yes, I'd be shocked.
All of Iowa State’s top players transferred and one is playing a key role on the #1 team in the country. Otzelberger’s already won 18 more games this year than they won last, with a chance for more. And they’re among the leaders in quad 1 wins.

Wisconsin might be better than Iowa St, but they were expected to be.

All of Iowa State’s top players transferred and one is playing a key role on the #1 team in the country. Otzelberger’s already won 18 more games this year than they won last, with a chance for more. And they’re among the leaders in quad 1 wins.

Wisconsin might be better than Iowa St, but they were expected to be.
I don't think they were expected to be. If they were, not by much.

Iowa St is currently 39 in Kenpom. The 10th place team in the B10 is currently 91st. Not a real comparison by any means. Just that Wisconsin would probably be somewhere around there if they finished as projected.

Last edited:
I don't think they were expected to be. If they were, not by much.

Iowa St is currently 39 in Kenpom. The 10th place team in the B10 is currently 91st. Not a real comparison by any means. Just that Wisconsin would probably be somewhere around there if they finished as projected.
I don’t think that means much. Wisconsin is currently 30 on Kenpom. 9th place Indiana is 44. 5th place Rutgers is 74.

Wisconsin’s 10th place projection was because they’re young and because the teams ranked ahead of them were expected to be solid. Not because they lack talent.

Remember, you guys are talking about the Big 10 getting up to 9 into the field. Yet, for this argument you forget about how deep and great you think the league is.

Iowa St, meanwhile, was just expected to be dogshit again. Picked dead last with a bullet. 2-22 last year. 171 on Kenpom. Lost their 5 leading scorers. 1st year coach.

There’s no comparing their expectations. Iowa St would have been picked dead last if they were in the Big 10 too.

I don’t think that means much. Wisconsin is currently 30 on Kenpom. 9th place Indiana is 44. 5th place Rutgers is 74.

Wisconsin’s 10th place projection was because they’re young and because the teams ranked ahead of them were expected to be solid. Not because they lack talent.

Remember, you guys are talking about the Big 10 getting up to 9 into the field. Yet, for this argument you forget about how deep and great you think the league is.

Iowa St, meanwhile, was just expected to be dogshit again. Picked dead last with a bullet. 2-22 last year. 171 on Kenpom. Lost their 5 leading scorers. 1st year coach.

There’s no comparing their expectations. Iowa St would have been picked dead last if they were in the Big 10 too.
That doesn't mean much? There's a big difference between 30th and 90th.

You know that home and road results tend to be drastically different. They handled St Mary’s at home too and got smoked on the road (and not exactly in a raucous environment). I think Tech has improved quite a bit since then too.

I’m confused by the 1 of 3 stat. What is that referring to? They definitely have at least two quad 1 road wins. They beat Baylor and Texas on the road.

They win 1 in every 3 road games. Not good. And now the road record is now 3-7.
Damn man, do you have a job?

Hah yes. But, it's a state job. So, I'm able to consume a lot of basketball in my down time at work. And I watch a boatload of games, look at the analytics daily, and obviously discuss the teams and players frequently.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT