ADVERTISEMENT

Gonzaga to the Big East

Didn’t realize that. Why can’t DePaul compete? In chicago. Plenty of local talent. If you have the student population it should help. What’s the biggest issue for DePaul basketball?
ahh, gather round son and I'll tell you the tale of how DePaul went from a consistent top 10 program in the country to a consistent top 150 program in a matter of 2 decades.

I'll do it in outline form, listing the reasons for the program's demise...not in any particular order.

1. Teddy Grubbs/Sonny Cox saga. Teddy was a DePaul player and King High School graduate. Very highly rated prospect. Came to DePaul and it turns out he had all sorts of mental health issues. Bombed out at DePaul and ended up getting arrested for armed robbery. Sonny Cox (Legendary King Coach) blamed Ray Meyer legendary DePaul coach) for Grubbs demise and arranged for the entire public league (arguable best high school league in the USA) to blackball DePaul. For the next 20+ years DePaul failed to get any of the top players out of the public league.

2. The rise of ESPN. Before ESPN if you wanted to see a nationally televised basketball game you had to wait for the weekend and watch it on ABC/CBS or you had to turn on WGN and watch DePaul. The rise of ESPN obviously ended all that and DePaul being on national TV was no longer a unique thing.

3. lack of on campus arena. Starting in 1980 DePaul began playing at the Rosemont Horizon (now Allstate Arena). With no traffic it's about a 30 minute drive from campus. But there's never no traffic. With typical rush hour traffic it can take voer an hour easily. Pretty much impossible for students to get there. the place lacked any semblance of a college atmosphere. As a result it was a massive turn off for recruits. A few years ago they finally moved to an arena in Chicago which is still not on campus, but much easier to get there.

4. Lack of a good coach. DePaul has never had a good coach. Ray Meyer is a legend and even he was a terrible game coach. Don't believe me? Name another team in NCAA history that has lost in the first round as a #1 seed 2x? We all talk about Virginia losing to a #16, but back when the tourny was 48 teams DePaul was the #1 overall seed twice in the span of 3 years and managed to lose their opening round game both times, once to St. Joes and once to Boston College. The best coach we've had since Ray Meyer is Pat Kennedy. Let that sink in for a bit.

There's probably more reasons, but that's all I have time for.

The worst part? DePaul went to the final 4 in 1979. I started following the team in 1980. Been nothing but a downhill ride to the cellar ever since.

ahh, gather round son and I'll tell you the tale of how DePaul went from a consistent top 10 program in the country to a consistent top 150 program in a matter of 2 decades.

I'll do it in outline form, listing the reasons for the program's demise...not in any particular order.

1. Teddy Grubbs/Sonny Cox saga. Teddy was a DePaul player and King High School graduate. Very highly rated prospect. Came to DePaul and it turns out he had all sorts of mental health issues. Bombed out at DePaul and ended up getting arrested for armed robbery. Sonny Cox (Legendary King Coach) blamed Ray Meyer legendary DePaul coach) for Grubbs demise and arranged for the entire public league (arguable best high school league in the USA) to blackball DePaul. For the next 20+ years DePaul failed to get any of the top players out of the public league.

2. The rise of ESPN. Before ESPN if you wanted to see a nationally televised basketball game you had to wait for the weekend and watch it on ABC/CBS or you had to turn on WGN and watch DePaul. The rise of ESPN obviously ended all that and DePaul being on national TV was no longer a unique thing.

3. lack of on campus arena. Starting in 1980 DePaul began playing at the Rosemont Horizon (now Allstate Arena). With no traffic it's about a 30 minute drive from campus. But there's never no traffic. With typical rush hour traffic it can take voer an hour easily. Pretty much impossible for students to get there. the place lacked any semblance of a college atmosphere. As a result it was a massive turn off for recruits. A few years ago they finally moved to an arena in Chicago which is still not on campus, but much easier to get there.

4. Lack of a good coach. DePaul has never had a good coach. Ray Meyer is a legend and even he was a terrible game coach. Don't believe me? Name another team in NCAA history that has lost in the first round as a #1 seed 2x? We all talk about Virginia losing to a #16, but back when the tourny was 48 teams DePaul was the #1 overall seed twice in the span of 3 years and managed to lose their opening round game both times, once to St. Joes and once to Boston College. The best coach we've had since Ray Meyer is Pat Kennedy. Let that sink in for a bit.

There's probably more reasons, but that's all I have time for.

The worst part? DePaul went to the final 4 in 1979. I started following the team in 1980. Been nothing but a downhill ride to the cellar ever since.

DePaul will rise again!!!

In Stubb's we trust.

DePaul will rise again!!!

In Stubb's we trust.
I liked what I saw of him this year, but this summer and next year will really be telling. Can he recruit players to DePaul and once they get here can he coach them? Stubbs landed the #38 player in high school in Zion Cruz a couple months ago so that's a great start. But, that's the only player we have out of the top 200.

HOpefully he can score some players in the transfer market. I would think DePaul would be very appealing for a mid major transfer wanting to play in a major conference and be guaranteed playing time.

I liked what I saw of him this year, but this summer and next year will really be telling. Can he recruit players to DePaul and once they get here can he coach them? Stubbs landed the #38 player in high school in Zion Cruz a couple months ago so that's a great start. But, that's the only player we have out of the top 200.

HOpefully he can score some players in the transfer market. I would think DePaul would be very appealing for a mid major transfer wanting to play in a major conference and be guaranteed playing time.

He will. Just give him a little time. He knows talent. I expect him to hit the portal hard this year. But overall, he will recruit well. Just needs to get established

He will. Just give him a little time. He knows talent. I expect him to hit the portal hard this year. But overall, he will recruit well. Just needs to get established
oh I'll give him time. When you've been bad for this long you have nothing but patience. What's another crap year in the grand scheme of things when you've been terrible for 30?

Ya they should just do that….
Now I am curious, what was the reason why Pac-12 schools have to field a football team? And is it a hard requirement that no exception can be made? What if Gonzaga promises to have a football team within the next 10 years after they join?

Now I am curious, what was the reason why Pac-12 schools have to field a football team? And is it a hard requirement that no exception can be made? What if Gonzaga promises to have a football team within the next 10 years after they join?
In this fantasy land where schools just create football programs, you think an FCS caliber, overnight football team makes them more appealing?

I am sure glad the SEC is a real conference where all the schools have football and basketball and you are all in or you are out. No Notre Dame in basketball and not football. The SEC has class and standards and will not sell their souls for a couple games with the great ND! o_O

I hope the SEC never sells out like some of these wuss conferences.

Same with the B1G. I don't like them but they are a real conference. You can't be half in and be a member.

Reactions: AuHoosier420
Looks like y’all are getting your wish. Lots of chatter from Gonzaga side that they are deep in negotiations with the Big East right now.
Awesome that they are considering the move. Can't believe they are looking that far away though. That's a LOT of travel.

I am sure glad the SEC is a real conference where all the schools have football and basketball and you are all in or you are out. No Notre Dame in basketball and not football. The SEC has class and standards and will not sell their souls for a couple games with the great ND! o_O

I hope the SEC never sells out like some of these wuss conferences.

Same with the B1G. I don't like them but they are a real conference. You can't be half in and be a member.
Notre dame has tried for years to get the type setup with the ACC from the big 10

spongebob-squarepants.gif

It drives me insane thinking about why DePaul didn’t build their newest stadium somewhere on /near Elston. I know LP is $$$ but they could’ve easily found a better spot on the Northside and get students to attend

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT