ADVERTISEMENT

Gonzaga or Auburn…

@AuHoosier420 you bring up that Pearl is the result of AU focusing more on basketball. What kept you all from doing it years before. It looks at though you're all opportunist and just jumped on a Pearl bandwagon instead of actually being AU fans.

If Pearl leaves for someone like UL, would you still be here? I asked before, didn't get an asnwer, but who would be a top of your list of coaches to hire?

Reactions: Bert Higginbotha
Kentucky clearly has an incredibly rich basketball history and have had some all time greats come through their program. Definitely many more than Auburn. But who is better than Charles?

Trolling aside nobody has ever had a better NBA career. Barkley is a top ~25 player of all time. If you went to make that list there's a large number of dudes from small schools so it's not a surprise imo.

Round man of rebound is pretty hard to compare stats.

Are you ok with comparing all time stats, or just when Charles started playing?

I feel like if I bring someone up before Charles, you'll just discount it in the most beta way possible.
It's impossible to compare the different generations imo. It's fun to talk about but most of us never watched any of those guys play.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
Despite their recent transgressions. UL is a borderline blue blood. They're like KU in a sense they just have 3 titles, but all their other stats add up. Plus, don't sneeze at the amount of money they generate.

Honestly, I think it would be an offer Pearl would entertain.

I also think Pearl would crawl to Lex for a chance to coach there. Same as Calipari. They've said many times how it's a dream job. UK has had 5 coaches to win a title. I think Pearl could be a 6th.

Obviously, I like BDB.
I really don't think he would entertain a jump because of his age. He has reiterated several times that his plan is to retire at Auburn. However, I do realize that when an opportunity arises you would be a fool to not at least entertain that opportunity.

I really don't think he would entertain a jump because of his age. He has reiterated several times that his plan is to retire at Auburn. However, I do realize that when an opportunity arises you would be a fool to not at least entertain that opportunity.
I guess it all boils down to..., can he win a championship at AU. Can he reach the HOF?

I think yes to the first one. Second one is politics and i'm not sure he can over come that hurdle.

voters might not see him as BDB, but more look at his history. Fair or unfair.

Reactions: WarEagle2727
I guess it all boils down to..., can he win a championship at AU. Can he reach the HOF?

I think yes to the first one. Second one is politics and i'm not sure he can over come that hurdle.

voters might night see him as BDB, but more look at his history.
His best chance is this year but the stars have to align. HOF? I don't know. He has made some enemies along the way but a lot of friends as well. He's in the HOF in my heart...

His best chance is this year but the stars have to align. HOF? I don't know. He has made some enemies along the way but a lot of friends as well. He's in the HOF in my heart...
Does he wear his oragne UT suit jacket at Auburn games? I wouldn't be surprised if he's wearing Orange with all y'alls "orange out". Dude's attire has always been on point....minus the shirtless photos.

Probably my all time favorite BDB photo.

article-252883-large.jpg

@AuHoosier420 you bring up that Pearl is the result of AU focusing more on basketball. What kept you all from doing it years before. It looks at though you're all opportunist and just jumped on a Pearl bandwagon instead of actually being AU fans.

If Pearl leaves for someone like UL, would you still be here? I asked before, didn't get an asnwer, but who would be a top of your list of coaches to hire?
Nothing stopped me. I have supported basketball forever. I like basketball better. I grew up in a basketball driven state. Also Auburn committed to building a new arena 5 years before pearl even arrived. We were pumping money in before pearl. We just didn’t have the right guy to sell the vision before him. I actually liked Jeff Lebo. Good X’s and O’s Guy. Just couldn’t recruit worth a shit.

Does he wear his oragne UT suit jacket at Auburn games? I wouldn't be surprised if he's wearing Orange with all y'alls "orange out". Dude's attire has always been on point....minus the shirtless photos.
Negative haha

His shirtless photos at football games is a nice touch, though. The players absolutely love him so I'm not shocked to see him succeed.

Nothing stopped me. I have supported basketball forever. I like basketball better. I grew up in a basketball driven state. Also Auburn committed to building a new arena 5 years before pearl even arrived. We are pumping money in before pearl. We just don’t have the right guy to sell the vision before him. I actually like Jeff Lebo. Good X’s and O’s Guy. Just couldn’t recruit worth a shit.
I get that. I was just confused when you used UK caring more about basketball in the SEC than others as a bad thing. What stopped all these teams caring 20 years ago?

I get that. I was just confused when you used UK caring more about basketball in the SEC than others as a bad thing. What stopped all these teams caring 20 years ago?
Nothing stopped us. I hated it. It’s not a bad thing at all. However Kentucky did greatly benefit from it though. You guys will still be the most consistent in the conference likely and win more then everywhere else but I think they days of Dominating like you were are over. I also think the same thing is happening football wise for Kentucky. With the SEC money you guys are putting more into football than Kentucky ever has before as well

Nothing stopped us. I hated it. It’s not a bad thing at all. However Kentucky did greatly benefit from it though. You guys will still be the most consistent in the conference likely and win more then everywhere else but I think they days of Dominating like you were are over. I also think the same thing is happening football wise for Kentucky. With the SEC money you guys are putting more into football than Kentucky ever has before as well
I get your point, but you also have to remember UK dominated against all other conferences as well.

UK football I credit to the coach. More so than the AD. I'd hope that if Stoops left we'd have his foundation to build upon but not something I'd bet on. Probably the same with you and Pearl.

That's a good point. It's a very similar situation to Kentucky football. At the time, football was all that really mattered to a lot of fanbases in the southeast. Kentucky benefited from having a basketball crazed state (which I envy) and dominating everyone in the SEC. Either way, Kentucky is still the premier team in the conference but your point stands. It will not be as easy as it used to be.

That's a good point. It's a very similar situation to Kentucky football. At the time, football was all that really mattered to a lot of fanbases in the southeast. Kentucky benefited from having a basketball crazed state (which I envy) and dominating everyone in the SEC. Either way, Kentucky is still the premier team in the conference but your point stands. It will not be as easy as it used to be.
I mean this in no offense. We've heard the same thing from other fanbases that have come and gone over the years. Hopefully Auburn can break the trend of being flashes in the pan and join UK in the holy war to make the SEC the best.

"Y'all saying the same thing she said".

UK fans I know, want other good teams in the SEC.

I actually think the point connecting UK football and other SEC schools in basketball is a good one. That same optimism we have that schools like Auburn or Tennessee will not stay relevant is shared between SEC fans regarding UK football. Alabama will always eat first in the SEC, that doesn't mean we can't fight them for their food a lot harder than we used to.

I mean this in no offense. We've heard the same thing from other fanbases that have come and gone over the years. Hopefully Auburn can break the trend of being flashes in the pan and join UK in the holy war to make the SEC the best.

True. I don't think you get dethroned by any means. You can agree that the SEC is leaps and bounds ahead of where it was in basketball just 10 years ago?

Careers like Barkley had are probably a thing of the past. Its tough for any player to have that long of a career. Just a much larger talent pool these days. Guys are going to be forced to retire sooner.

For example, if Barkley and AD were in the same draft, who would you take? Karl Anthony Towns, John Wall etc.

Barkley had a great career but in different times. I'm not trying to take anything away from his accomplisment, it was just different then. Jabari Smith would also be taken before Barkley.

Now for numbers sake, Kentucky has had 117 players in the NBA.

True. I don't think you get dethroned by any means. You can agree that the SEC is leaps and bounds ahead of where it was in basketball just 10 years ago?
Starts at the top. Sankey put an emphases on bball and it's showed. First it was the coaches, then we've dominated recruiting. That's not letting up. It's good for the conference as a whole.

Now let's stop having our conference tournament championship on selection sunday.

Careers like Barkley had are probably a thing of the past. Its tough for any player to have that long of a career. Just a much larger talent pool these days. Guys are going to be forced to retire sooner.

For example, if Barkley and AD were in the same draft, who would you take? Karl Anthony Towns, John Wall etc.

Barkley had a great career but in different times. I'm not trying to take anything away from his accomplisment, it was just different then. Jabari Smith would also be taken before Barkley.

Now for numbers sake, Kentucky has had 117 players in the NBA.
I agree with you for the most part. Comparing different generations is an endless debate. 117 players is ridiculous.

UK fans I know, want other good teams in the SEC.
You are still missing the point. It’s not just one team that is going to be on the level as Uk. It’s the overall depth of the conference that is now at a level it’s never been before. For example UK has only the won SEC regular season once in the last 6 seasons. You have 40 some sec titles. If you are only winning 1-2 every 6 years now. That’s only 8-10 titles in the next 40 years. That’s well off the pace you used to be at

again it’s not one team that will be with Kentucky every year. It’s the depth that has made it harder for UK. For example Auburn, Tennessee. LSU, Alabama have all won SEC titles in the last 5 years.

God I have heard that argument until me teeth hurt.

Kentucky started football in 1880. Auburn started football in 1892. Kentucky has always had a large following in football. Kentucky has not been good; however, we continue to play it. Plus we are getting better than in the recent past.

Auburn never had good basketball, but now you guys are trying to invent a history that has never existed. Kentucky had good basketball in the SEC and it was not by default. Folks in "the southeast" apparently still don't like basketball because they sure as hell are not good at it. So you excuse for Auburn sucking at basketball is because your fanbase only liked football.

So stop the bullshit that the only reason Auburn has not been good at basketball is because the Southeast only liked football. That is selling out to a lie.

UK fans follow football and basketball. We can do two sports at a time. The SEC sucks at basketball because Kentucky dominates their asses to the point that they look bad. Auburn may beat the crap out of Kentucky Saturday; however, it will have little impact on the fact that Kentucky basketball owns the SEC's ass.

UK 96 Auburn 22 all time. Maybe Saturday it will be 96-23 if the refs show up. But that will not improve the history much.

Call me back when Auburn gets to 30 wins.

Kentucky started football in 1880. Auburn started football in 1892. Kentucky has always had a large following in football. Kentucky has not been good; however, we continue to play it. Plus we are getting better than in the recent past.

Auburn never had good basketball, but now you guys are trying to invent a history that has never existed. Kentucky had good basketball in the SEC and it was not by default. Folks in "the southeast" apparently still don't like basketball because they sure as hell are not good at it. So you excuse for Auburn sucking at basketball is because your fanbase only liked football.

So stop the bullshit that the only reason Auburn has not been good at basketball is because the Southeast only liked football. That is selling out to a lie.

UK fans follow football and basketball. We can do two sports at a time. The SEC sucks at basketball because Kentucky dominates their asses to the point that they look bad. Auburn may beat the crap out of Kentucky Saturday; however, it will have little impact on the fact that Kentucky basketball owns the SEC's ass.

UK 96 Auburn 22 all time. Maybe Saturday it will be 96-23 if the refs show up. But that will not improve the history much.

I was being pretty reasonable with my responses. I'm not sure why you're all worked up over it. WE get it. UK is the dominant team. You are the reason people hate kentucky.

Kentucky hasn’t won an sec football title in over 45 years. No Kentucky hasn’t cared in football

You can go higher. We actually have 5 sec basketball titles since UK last won a sec football title
any national titles?

Do you have different criteria for everything? Who's best in this sport, who's best in that, during what times, who's coached, did they have a player out?

What's your general guideline?

Reactions: Bert Higginbotha
any national titles?

Do you have different criteria for everything? Who's best in this sport, who's best in that, during what times, who's coached, did they have a player out?

What's your general guideline?
No. You don’t have any national titles in football so not sure that’s a relevant question

I mean The hall of fame voters still haven’t let bob huggins in and he has over 900 wins. He is like 5th all time.
That's egregious. I think Peal's snitching is worse than the BBQ. BBQ isn't shit. Extramarital affairs isn't shit, it's the snitching on other coaches. I think that's gonna keep him out for a long while if not ever.

*Guy can recruit, motivate, develop and coach. Jury still out on if he can reach a title game, much less win one.

Is Jabari Smith better than AD in college?

Last edited:
No trying to get too far into this but we do claim one. Lots of football titles are claimed, so its not specific to Kentucky.
Is it an AP poll title? That’s the general standard for football titles prior to the bcs and playoff eras

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT