ADVERTISEMENT

Gonzaga or Auburn…

AuHoosier420

Gold Member
Oct 9, 2008
Who will be number 1 on Monday? Auburn has never been number 1 in the AP poll in basketball. 16-1 now with only loss in Double OT to uconn in Atlantis. Gonzaga has two losses. One of their losses was in their home state to a team auburn beat on the road this past week. Auburn should be number 1. Uga at home on Wednesday. Then big one at home against Kentucky next Saturday.

I would put Auburn at one personally. The schedule strength just isn't close.
No issue with Auburn being #1....But SOS argument to me in most cases,isn't a justification of who's better. You're either good or you're not. Look at Kentucky's SOS----And they just fuking dog walked a pretty damn good Tennessee team.

IMO when it comes to teams that are obviously really good, or usually are, SOS is sort of irrelevant.

I don't givce two shits who's SOS is better----that doesn't mean you are better---just means you have played some better teams.

I think Auburn could be #1, and probably should be. But it doesn't matter. There's gonna be about 15 #1's this year...Really good year.

SOS is relevant when talking about rankings between two teams who are close.
Not really....UK's SOS is 314. Tenn was was 120. UK was ranked 18th/Tenn 22nd.

How'd that turn out?

Auburn/Gonzaga are equally deserving of being #1. Not b/c of who they have, or have not played. But b/c both are extremely good basketball teams.

I mean OOC, who has Auburn played? UConn/Syracuse. Went 1-1. Gonzaga has played Duke, Alabama, UCLA, Texas and Texas Tech.

You really think AU's schedule has been that much better, that it should mean they are #1?

SOS is only relevant to seeding---Not to how good you are.

Reactions: Boilermaker03

How'd that turn out?

Auburn/Gonzaga are equally deserving of being #1. Not b/c of who they have, or have not played. But b/c both are extremely good basketball teams.

I mean OOC, who has Auburn played? UConn/Syracuse. Went 1-1. Gonzaga has played Duke, Alabama, UCLA, Texas and Texas Tech.

You really think AU's schedule has been that much better, that it should mean they are #1?

Both are great this year but it's still relevant.

How'd that turn out?

I think you're looking at NCSOS. UK is 210, and UT 15, so your point remains.

Gonzaga will be #1. They were almost 250 points above Auburn in this week's poll and they are coming off 2 blowout wins (averaging 113 ppg) with one of those being against a pretty decent BYU team. Auburn will have to settle for #2 and it's highly unlikely Gonzaga will lose any more games the rest of the regular season, so they'll probably have that top spot on lockdown while the teams that play in real conferences beat each other up.

Both are great this year but it's still relevant.
I'll just agree to disagree...Its relevant in terms of seeding, sure---But not in terms of how good someone is...Kentucky has played a shit OOC schedule, and outside of Tenn, have beaten up on some bad SEC teams.....You really think their SOS reflects how good they are?

I'll vote for Auburn because it'll make beating that ass next Saturday that much more enjoyable.

"We were number 1 that one time for one week. Y'all remember?!?!!?"

🤣
Kentucky won’t be beating Auburn

How'd that turn out?

Auburn has more combined quad 1 and quad 2 wins than anyone in the country. Loyola is a top 30 team auburn beat. LSU is a top 15 team auburn beat. Won at St. Louis which was a quad 1 win. Won at Alabama which is a quad 1 win. Gonzaga lost to Bama in a virtual home game. You sound pretty clueless

Last edited:
Reactions: WarEagle2727
Auburn has more combined quad 1 and quad 2 wins than anyone in the country. Loyola is a top 30 team auburn beat. LSU is a top 15 team auburn beat. Won at St. Louis which was a quad 1 win. Won at Alabama which is a quad 1 win. Gonzaga lost to Bama in a virtual home game. You sound pretty clueless
Are you worried at all about UK?

I'ld give Auburn the nod. Sometimes you have to give it the eye test. Some of the intangibles you don't see in the stats.

Interesting looking at Kenpom, we jumped to #3 and Auburn at 9 overall. Kenpom and Sagarin both love margin of victories. For the first time under Cal, we're averaging double figure winning margins.

Auburn likes to turn you over on defense for transition buckets. Strong defense. But I like our offense when its clicking. Low turn overs and lots of passing. It should be a fun game! Gonna be tough playing them at Auburn. Superbowl time again lol

Jabari is good and is going to kill it in the pros. But TyTy and Oscar says hello. I think right now, those 2 are playing better. Not by much though.

Jabari is good and is going to kill it in the pros. But TyTy and Oscar says hello. I think right now, those 2 are playing better. Not by much though.
Wendell green is playing just as good as ty ty. You won’t be able to guard jabari. You also haven’t played a team like auburn has with jabari and Kessler inside. Kessler is the best shot blocker in the country. Kentucky also better not be looking towards auburn just yet. Tamu is well playing well and you play there. Kentucky hasn’t looked near as good on the road

I’d say AU should get the top spot. Happy for them. Gonzaga has had their opportunity.

Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Big Dick Bruce! Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn SEC! Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn waaaah blueblood waaaaah! Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn

Just a recap of the OP's posting history for anyone who might be new.

Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Big Dick Bruce! Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn SEC! Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn waaaah blueblood waaaaah! Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn

Just a recap of the OP's posting history for anyone who might be new.
Ther was never a time I posted that Auburn was a blue blood. Do better next time

Correction. I point out hypocrisy on the part of blueblood fans. And laugh at how delusional most are. That’s it.

Most of the "blueblood" fans here aren't delusional at all.

Meanwhile, you said Auburn should be preseason #1 in a year that finished with a losing record and #60 in Kenpom. Every year you think half the roster is going to be drafted in the lottery. You always think they're way underranked in polls. And you think Bruce is the best and most sought-after coach on the planet, yet also believe he would never leave Auburn. 🤣

Most of the "blueblood" fans here aren't delusional at all.

Meanwhile, you said Auburn should be preseason #1 in a year that finished with a losing record and #60 in Kenpom. Every year you think half the roster is going to be drafted in the lottery. You always think they're way underranked in polls. And you think Bruce is the best and most sought-after coach on the planet, yet also believe he would never leave Auburn. 🤣
LOL. Yeah it looks like I trolled your balls off. Auburn is better than Kansas this year however

LOL. Yeah it looks like I trolled your balls off. Auburn is better than Kansas this year however

Nah. You believe all that.

Auburn might finally have a better team than KU (aside from the decimated team in 2019), but KU hasn't come close to putting it all together yet.

Wendell green is playing just as good as ty ty. You won’t be able to guard jabari. You also haven’t played a team like auburn has with jabari and Kessler inside. Kessler is the best shot blocker in the country. Kentucky also better not be looking towards auburn just yet. Tamu is well playing well and you play there. Kentucky hasn’t looked near as good on the road
We didn't start coming alive until after the ND game. So I'll agree with you the 1st 2 games we lost. Try playing LSU at LSU while naming their court after a legend, then lose your pt guard 4 minutes into the game, your center for 9 minutes the 1st half, then your remaining pt guard the last 9 minutes. Shocking we still had a chance to win that one. We're only playing 7 guys in the rotation.

We had Vandy down 28 at Vandy and let off the pedal during the final 3 minutes. Final score wasn't indicitive of the blow out it was.

TAMU has a good record, but they haven't had a difficult schedule.

You have some really good players. Kessler won't get the blocks against the Cats like he has. We do a lot to avoid charges and blocks. Kessler runs the floor well and plays hard. I expect him to have a good game otherwise.

Our 4 guards scored about 75 against UT. Jabari is going to need some help.

Its not going to be easy winning at Auburn. Great environment. I look forward to it!

I’d give it to Auburn. That would make Pearl responsible for two different programs first #1 rankings. Pretty sure UT was never ranked #1 before he got them there. As much of a sleaze as most think he is, the guy can certainly coach.

Last edited:
Reactions: FlynAUround
I'll just agree to disagree...Its relevant in terms of seeding, sure---But not in terms of how good someone is...Kentucky has played a shit OOC schedule, and outside of Tenn, have beaten up on some bad SEC teams.....You really think their SOS reflects how good they are?

I'm not getting into talking about one team or one game and making things anecdotal. We could do that two ways over and over to try and prove some point I'm not even trying to make. We were talking about how they should be ranked. It's relevant there when trying to rank two teams and figure who should be ahead of the other in the rankings. There are multiple factors to consider and SOS needs to be one of them.

Based on what I have seen and read; Auburn is the best team.

Being ranked number 1 really has no merit except for pride. The NCAA basketball tourney is what counts. Auburn is a one seed at the moment and that is what counts.

However, Auburn being in the SEC, will get screwed royally by the NCAA selection committee because they don't like or seed the SEC well. Even when the SEC has someone chairing the selection committee the SEC will get screwed. The NCAA selection committee is in love with the Big 12, Big Ten, ACC and Pac "whatever". After the seeding is completed they will lie out their ass to try to justify bad seedings.

All the bull shit about schedule rankings is pure folly. UK used to play a very painful schedule and never, NEVER, got rewarded for it. So please stop the crap that playing a tough schedule will effect your ranking or seeding. It is hog wash. Based on that Gonzaga would never have been ranked as they play one weak team after another weak team. Hell they rarely have a ranked team in their conference except for them.

One more thing: it was not Kentucky's fault that they did not play Ohio State or Louisville and had to substitute North Carolina and Western Kentucky. Most seasons switching UNC for Ohio State would be a nightmare. In fact I would love to play North Carolina more often then UK does. Plus UK best shot, CJ Fredrick, is out for the season.

Rant is over.

Auburn should be number one.

This is rare questioning UK's SOS lol. It deserves it this year. Cal was gun shy after the debacle last year. Wanted to give the new team time to gel. Its working. Our SOS is getting much, much stronger this month. LSU, UT, Auburn and Kansas. 3 of the 4 are or were away games.

Reactions: Bert Higginbotha
Bert is back. It's about time.

lil-wayne-weezy.gif

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT