ADVERTISEMENT

Gonzaga inquiring to join Big 12?

Be a great move for them. Good pickup by big 12 for basketball also

Gotta be fake news...

Why would one of the premier basketball programs in the nation want to join a pussy conference?

@Bert Higginbotha

Bert? You wanna field this one?
I think they would prefer to join the pac12 but will the pac 13 take a non football playing school? Big 12 is positioned better than the pac12 now though

Reactions: Coogsblitz
It sounds like the Big 12 actually put the feelers out to Gonzaga, not vice versa. Gonzaga has been in discussions with the Big East and Pac 12 but who knows if anything has come from those talks. I still think the Pac 12 and Big 12 should just consolidate the best programs that are left after OU, UT, UCLA, and USC leave, rather than trying fill spots with mid majors like UC, UCF, Houston, BYU, etc. Then again, it's all about the money, and no major conference is willing to make that concession. Problem is, you start doing too much watering down you may not be major conferences anymore.

I think they would prefer to join the pac12 but will the pac 13 take a non football playing school? Big 12 is positioned better than the pac12 now though
Pac 12 is about to be the Pac 10 and will also be scrambling to fill vacancies, but I'd think they want schools that have football programs. I would think schools like SDSU, Fresno State, and/or Boise State would have the most appeal to them. However, with the departure of UCLA and USC maybe you take Gonzaga because they bring basketball prowess that nobody else in the conference has other than potentially Arizona.

It sounds like the Big 12 actually put the feelers out to Gonzaga, not vice versa. Gonzaga has been in discussions with the Big East and Pac 12 but who knows if anything has come from those talks. I still think the Pac 12 and Big 12 should just consolidate the best programs that are left after OU, UT, UCLA, and USC leave, rather than trying fill spots with mid majors like UC, UCF, Houston, BYU, etc. Then again, it's all about the money, and no major conference is willing to make that concession. Problem is, you start doing too much watering down you may not be major conferences anymore.

From a purely basketball standpoint, I'd trade OU and Texas for Gonzaga, Houston, Cincinnati, BYU any day.

For a few years. And then hopefully KU bails on them.

• Haha
Reactions: Kevin Bryan
From a purely basketball standpoint, I'd trade OU and Texas for Gonzaga, Houston, Cincinnati, BYU any day.

For a few years. And then hopefully KU bails on them.
I followed Cincinnati closely as a kid that was born there and grew up 10 minutes outside the city. Huggins was in his glory years then (early to mid 90s) and his teams were fun to watch. They were also dominant in the late 50s and early 60s when Oscar Robertson was there. They have the resources to be a perennial power, just need to put the pieces together which will be easier in a major conference. Houston I think has that capability too. BYU and UCF I'm not so sure.

Just some thoughts that I posted on the football board about this.

Gonzaga would give the Big 12 a 7pm PST start time. Something they currently don’t have. Meaning that this would be a new revenue spot for the conference. If GU joined the P12 then nothing would change from that position for the P12. With that, Inwould imagine that the B12 would offer GU more money because they could in theory produce more money for the conference.

GU would create higher ratings for P12 basketball, but they would also be replacing another P12 team from being on national television every game as well. So the question would be does GU produce enough revenue for an individual school in the P12 over the decrease they could see in exposure.

Just my preliminary thoughts.

Reactions: ExitFlagger
I'm not sure how much money Gonzaga brings to a P5 conference. Most of the TV revenue comes from football. It's obviously a great program and a good brand but very few college basketball move the needle when you look at the big picture. I know Gonzaga has been in talks with the Big East, PAC 12 and now the Big 12. It's obvious they don't want to stay in the WCC.

This could indicate a long term shift for the Big 12. If they continue to fall behind the Big Ten and SEC financially in football, they may shift their focus to basketball. We'll see how it all plays out.

Makes sense given the Big 12's new TV deals with ESPN and FOX worth north of $2 billion. It's a win for both parties, the Big 12 will bring in the money and Gonzaga will bring in basketball eyeballs (their game with Duke last November was the second most watched game of the season).

Reactions: ExitFlagger
Gotta be fake news...

Why would one of the premier basketball programs in the nation want to join a pussy conference?

@Bert Higginbotha

Bert? You wanna field this one?
Well at the least that pussy conference has won a couple titles. The Zags have zero.

The Zags don't play football do they? Why would the Little 8 want them?

Morgan Freeman Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Reactions: TechFan88
Well at the least that pussy conference has won a couple titles. The Zags have zero.

The Zags don't play football do they? Why would the Little 8 want them?

The Big 12 and Gonzaga have pretty much run CBB the last 4-5 years.

The SEC, well......they had that flukey run by Auburn I guess. That's something!

The Big 12 and Gonzaga have pretty much run CBB the last 4-5 years.

The SEC, well......they had that flukey run by Auburn I guess. That's something!
Gonzaga has never won jack shit dude!

Why is the little 8 losing teams to good conferences? Missouri, Arkansas, Oklahoma and Texas to the SEC. How can your 'superior' conference justify that?

You can't answer that, can you?

The little 8 is going to get a basketball school like Gonzaga when they don't even have a friggin' football program?

What about football in the little 8?

Football is the revenue sport and it is totally dominated by the SEC. That is why Oklahoma and Texas had to exit the little 8 because they see the hand writing on the wall. The Little 8 is doomed as a football conference. For the immediate future there are two power conferences in football, ie BigTen and SEC. The others suck big time.

After the conference realignments the Power conferences may decide that they do not want to share revenue with the also rans and may simply start a football and basketball playoff system on their own and leave the Gongaza's, Kansas' and those basketball only schools on the sidelines.

The little 8 had better start looking West, North or South to try to stay relevant by starting a conference or merging with the left overs from the Pac 8 or some other left over teams.

Until then you can continue your brag about how great they are.

Gonzaga has never won jack shit dude!

Why is the little 8 losing teams to good conferences? Missouri, Arkansas, Oklahoma and Texas to the SEC. How can your 'superior' conference justify that?

You can't answer that, can you?

The little 8 is going to get a basketball school like Gonzaga when they don't even have a friggin' football program?

What about football in the little 8?

Football is the revenue sport and it is totally dominated by the SEC. That is why Oklahoma and Texas had to exit the little 8 because they see the hand writing on the wall. The Little 8 is doomed as a football conference. For the immediate future there are two power conferences in football, ie BigTen and SEC. The others suck big time.

After the conference realignments the Power conferences may decide that they do not want to share revenue with the also rans and may simply start a football and basketball playoff system on their own and leave the Gongaza's, Kansas' and those basketball only schools on the sidelines.

The little 8 had better start looking West, North or South to try to stay relevant by starting a conference or merging with the left overs from the Pac 8 or some other left over teams.

Until then you can continue your brag about how great they are.
They’re leaving because they can’t hang in basketball. They know a good opportunity to pad their records when they see one.

• Haha
Reactions: Bert Higginbotha
Would be a good move for the Big 12. What do you do when others call your conference a mid major? You bring in the best mid major basketball program in the country.

What do you do? Well, you just chuckle and wave at them as the short bus pulls away. At least that's what I do.

Well, they should probably win something sometime soon before their fans run their mouths about leagues that actually are winning.
Oh don't you worry about that x-it, fans have never won a damn thing. By the way, you have that run your mouth thing down pat. SEC team will win one soon, and won't cheat to do it like some recent winners.

• Haha
Oh don't you worry about that x-it, fans have never won a damn thing. By the way, you have that run your mouth thing down pat. SEC team will win one soon, and won't cheat to do it like some recent winners.
The Gonzaga football field holds 150,000 people. Their high school basketball gym holds 50,000.

They are perfect for the little 8.

Reactions: winin11

That so? Which players from KU's championship team were under investigation? I must've missed that bombshell!

They need to join the pac. But the big 12 is the best bball league in country so I get it.

This is my complaint about Gonzaga being ranked so high. They don’t have difficult true road games in conference. They can play their B game and get a win.

Go play your B game at the Breslin Center, Mackey Arena, The Hall of Calls, the Kohl Center, etc. Gonzaga should be capped at #10 and a 3 seed in March.

• Love
This is my complaint about Gonzaga being ranked so high. They don’t have difficult true road games in conference. They can play their B game and get a win.

Go play your B game at the Breslin Center, Mackey Arena, The Hall of Calls, the Kohl Center, etc. Gonzaga should be capped at #10 and a 3 seed in March.

I'm pretty sure Gonzaga would own the Big 10.

• Sad
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT