ADVERTISEMENT

Going to the g-league over college...

That’s my other point here. College basketball gives a far better opportunity to up your stock than the g league ever can
We assume that, but if nba teams start drafted the G league guys first bc they like their preparedness or whatverr, that may turn out not to be true. We are basing this all on one class as a sample size.

Reactions: duckboy33
And plenty of players who went to college will be getting drafted much lower than they were projected before the season. It’s a crap shoot. The best decision for one player might not be the best for another.
I can agree with this. Bj Boston probably should have gone g league. He may not even ever get drafted now.

I can agree with this. Bj Boston probably should have gone g league. He may not even ever get drafted now.
Exactly, it’s different for each player.

Same for kid at duke that quit half way through the year.

I just don’t think u can use a one in a life time shot as a definitive reason why every recruit would be better served going to college.

And plenty of players who went to college will be getting drafted much lower than they were projected before the season. It’s a crap shoot. The best decision for one player might not be the best for another.
What I would say, is that there is more unknown about the G League players than college players.

I don’t have a problem with kids taking the G League route. I have a huge problem with kids being recruited by the G League. What they did to Daeshin Nix is gross. They filled him up with lies saying that a college season wouldn’t happen just because they needed a point guard. Dude is now gonna be a second round pick and doesn’t have UCLA to fall back on now. When he’s out of the league in two years, he doesn’t have that alumni base support system to fall back on anymore.

What I would say, is that there is more unknown about the G League players than college players.

I don’t have a problem with kids taking the G League route. I have a huge problem with kids being recruited by the G League. What they did to Daeshin Nix is gross. They filled him up with lies saying that a college season wouldn’t happen just because they needed a point guard. Dude is now gonna be a second round pick and doesn’t have UCLA to fall back on now. When he’s out of the league in two years, he doesn’t have that alumni base support system to fall back on anymore.

I don't even have a problem with the G-League recruiting guys but I agree that what they did with Nix was wrong. They misled him to believe that the college season wasn't going to happen. But colleges negatively recruit against each other all the time and act in ways that aren't in the athlete's best interests.

It's hard because 18 years old isn't a time of peak maturity but theses players are at a crossroads where they have to make very important decisions. It's also hard for them to know who truly has their best interest at heart.

That said, if we are cycling back to the original topic, it's worked out pretty well for Jalen Green. He got his 500K and will be a lottery pick. I'm not sure how one year of college would have really helped him out.

That said, if we are cycling back to the original topic, it's worked out pretty well for Jalen Green. He got his 500K and will be a lottery pick. I'm not sure how one year of college would have really helped him out.
Did it though?? By all accounts, Green played well in the G League, but he won’t be a top 3 pick. Even though that’s where he was ranked before this year. He will lose more than $500k for dropping in the draft.

Ya, but they were also both rated way higher than Suggs coming out of high school. Now Suggs is going to be drafted before them.
You do know the draft has set amounts for draft slots, right. Not a big difference between 3,4 or 5 which is where they are all slotted.

Did it though?? By all accounts, Green played well in the G League, but he won’t be a top 3 pick. Even though that’s where he was ranked before this year. He will lose more than $500k for dropping in the draft.

I don’t think it’s fair to say he dropped in the draft because of this decision. We have no idea what would have happened if he had gone to college. We saw plenty of top 20 recruits who went to college and saw their draft stock decline. I don’t think the Gleague has much to do with it

Reactions: FaithPlusOne
I don’t think it’s fair to say he dropped in the draft because of this decision. We have no idea what would have happened if he had gone to college. We saw plenty of top 20 recruits who went to college and saw their draft stock decline. I don’t think the Gleague has much to do with it
People drop because they are shown to be not as good as people thought. By all accounts, Jalen Green played well in the G League and is still going to drop.

People drop because they are shown to be not as good as people thought. By all accounts, Jalen Green played well in the G League and is still going to drop.

It may have more to do with other guys rising than Green slipping. That happens all the time, even with two collegiate players

It may have more to do with other guys rising than Green slipping. That happens all the time, even with two collegiate players
Again, it just goes to my point that the G League is an unknown for scouts. Suggs is going to get drafted over him while playing a WCC schedule for half the season while Green played against actual pros. And he’s going to lose much more than $500k because of it.

Again, it just goes to my point that the G League is an unknown for scouts. Suggs is going to get drafted over him while playing a WCC schedule for half the season while Green played against actual pros. And he’s going to lose much more than $500k because of it.

Suggs has passed a lot of guys, including a lot of college guys who didn’t get 500K. That could have easily happened to Green at Auburn and he would be in the same situation without 500k

Reactions: Villian07
You do know the G league is sponsored by the NBA, right? Let’s think logically. Do you not think nba scouts scout g league games and watch film and talk to coaches. They can’t do that daily with college coaches.

Can you confirm where each will be drafted 100%. Nothing is ever guaranteed.
No of course not.

Last take and I’ll be done with this. I truly just don’t see the advantage that the G League offers a player.

1. You don’t get to build your brand by playing on National Television. And no one talks about you until the draft. You are forgotten for an entire year. Better hope you get drafted by a team in a big market.

2. You don’t have a college’s massive built in fan base to support you. Zion wouldn’t be Zion without Duke. He’d still be as good, but not as popular.

3. I think even 1 year on a college campus is critical for your development as a person. Being away from your family and having responsibilities away from basketball is a good thing.

4. In the long run (even short run really) the money is negligible.

No of course not.

Last take and I’ll be done with this. I truly just don’t see the advantage that the G League offers a player.

1. You don’t get to build your brand by playing on National Television. And no one talks about you until the draft. You are forgotten for an entire year. Better hope you get drafted by a team in a big market.

2. You don’t have a college’s massive built in fan base to support you. Zion wouldn’t be Zion without Duke. He’d still be as good, but not as popular.

3. I think even 1 year on a college campus is critical for your development as a person. Being away from your family and having responsibilities away from basketball is a good thing.

4. In the long run (even short run really) the money is negligible.
None of your bullet points deal with talent. That is what you are missing.

Hahaha you are saying we didn’t bet now? LOL welching huh?

You really are an idiot. This has nothing to do with our bet (which I've already asked for your venmo in our bet thread). It has to do with you making shit up, just like you did yesterday in the game day thread.

I have never seen someone miss the point more than you. You just don’t get it. Oregon Fan though. Not like have you seen a collegiate championship in football or basketball to understand the magnitude

No one is missing the point. It's just a ridiculous point that no one is taking seriously. You're taking one example of a guy who was a top prospect, went to college, became a star and then became a legend with a once every 30 years type of shot and you're trying to use that as proof that college is a better route than the G league.

You don't realize how simplistic and ridiculous that is?

As others have pointed out there are plenty of other guys who chose to go to college and had terrible seasons and didn't improve their draft stock or become more famous.

On the flipside there are plenty of guys who benefitted from going to the G league instead of college. There are also plenty of guys who didn't benefit from going to the G league instead of college.

The point is there is no right answer.

Let me ask you, would Lebron, Kobe, Kevin Garnett etc be more famous than they are now if they went to college? RollLaugh

Reactions: sgrooms
No one is missing the point. It's just a ridiculous point that no one is taking seriously. You're taking one example of a guy who was a top prospect, went to college, became a star and then became a legend with a once every 30 years type of shot and you're trying to use that as proof that college is a better route than the G league.

You don't realize how simplistic and ridiculous that is?

As others have pointed out there are plenty of other guys who chose to go to college and had terrible seasons and didn't improve their draft stock or become more famous.

On the flipside there are plenty of guys who benefitted from going to the G league instead of college. There are also plenty of guys who didn't benefit from going to the G league instead of college.

The point is there is no right answer.

Let me ask you, would Lebron, Kobe, Kevin Garnett etc be more famous than they are now if they went to college? RollLaugh
They didn’t go to the g league. Another bad example given by this board

You really are an idiot. This has nothing to do with our bet (which I've already asked for your venmo in our bet thread). It has to do with you making shit up, just like you did yesterday in the game day thread.

I haven’t made a thing up. You disappeared when you were suppose to pay me

ADVERTISEMENT