ADVERTISEMENT

Give me a guilty pleasure you have

reading this board.

Ironing and housework. I love it. I won't let my wife do my laundry, and it drives me nuts when she about to wear a wrinkled shirt to work. I have to do a light press.

Dishes as well, I don't trust anyone to get them as clean as I can.

"Move. Just let me do it."

All my wife has to do is work and come home and do her own thing. I'll take of the rest. Bills to folding towels.

Last edited:
Damn this board is slow. We should all be talking about the Sweet Sixteen and Elite Eight matchups :(

Instead, I will reveal a guilty pleasure of mine.

I enjoy cleaning.
giphy.gif

Ha, I actually don’t mind Creed. I’m a 90s baby and grew up with them

That’s the thing, few people will actually admit to liking bands like Creed or Nickelback. But they’re all liars if they grew up in the 90s/00s and say they don’t know the words to at least half a dozen of their songs.

Reactions: JimboBBN
Eating. Gym finally closed. Trying to find a tire to flip until it reopens. App St U just ordered up a bunch from the shop I was going to get one from. Bastads.

That’s the thing, few people will actually admit to liking bands like Creed or Nickelback. But they’re all liars if they grew up in the 90s/00s and say they don’t know the words to at least half a dozen of their songs.

I grew up in the 90s and I don't even get a guilty pleasure from those bands. Or any of the other Pearl Jam spawns.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
Damn this board is slow. We should all be talking about the Sweet Sixteen and Elite Eight matchups :(

Instead, I will reveal a guilty pleasure of mine.

I enjoy cleaning.
What!!!!

You are either a lair or you are not a man.

Two can play your game. I like breaking out the wrenches and tearing into an old chevy. Of course, I'm not totally satisfied unless I track some oil and mud on the carpet.:cool:

Reactions: kyjeff1
I used to eat chocolate chip cookie dough raw when I was younger. That is always what I asked for my birthday. Then apparently I got sick off it one time and mom wouldn't make it anymore. Them's the breaks.

Yeah, I don't get the hate. I listen to FFDP, Sevenfold, Godsmack, Disturbed etc… , but I still like the Creed, Nickelback, Puddle of Mud etc… stuff. I don’t get the negative reputation that Nickelback has, good music to go down the road to.

Reactions: JimboBBN and Hank_
What!!!!

You are either a lair or you are not a man.

Two can play your game. I like breaking out the wrenches and tearing into an old chevy. Of course, I'm not totally satisfied unless I track some oil and mud on the carpet.:cool:
Same here, only my passion lies with Fords. Building a motor from scratch after it just came back from the machine shop is an addiction for sure.
I mud bog in an old 78 bronco. It's fun to just wrench on it and tinker

Yeah, I don't get the hate. I listen to FFDP, Sevenfold, Godsmack, Disturbed etc… , but I still like the Creed, Nickelback, Puddle of Mud etc… stuff. I don’t get the negative reputation that Nickelback has, good music to go down the road to.

It just became a popular thing to hate at one point, which made it easy for a lot of people - younger me included.

Now, it always makes me think of this Patton Oswalt bit.

I like to think of the cutoff for liking these bands when they came out was whether or not you were Gen Z or a Millenial. I just made the cut for Gen Z so I'm justified in not liking those bands.

I'm sure they are fine musicians actually. I am not a musician and I'm a lot older/wiser now so I don't diss on bands I don't like like I did as a young adult. I think a lot of us probably did that when we were younger and still struggling to identify ourselves to the world. Dave Matthews Band, Phish and Tool took the brunt of hatred while I was in college. It's like, if you were huge into one them you seemingly made fun of the others since each band had a very distinctive following whose core was very different from the other.

I was probably 20-21 when those bands you mention started to take off. I think for a lot of us we grew up on the grunge sound + that weird (but cool) alternative era of the mid-90's, + we took to bands like Rage and Tool. For the most part Creed, Nickelback, Linkin Park, Staind, et all were arguably the same genre as that grungish music but they were the studio band that was selectively chosen and mass marketed. Comparing Linkin Park to Nirvana or Alice n Chains was like comparing Poison to Motley Crue.

That's how I always looked at it atleast. If you were born in 1987 and you were ragging on those bands in 2002 then you probably had an older brother and were just repeating what they were saying.

I like to think of the cutoff for liking these bands when they came out was whether or not you were Gen Z or a Millenial. I just made the cut for Gen Z so I'm justified in not liking those bands.

I'm sure they are fine musicians actually. I am not a musician and I'm a lot older/wiser now so I don't diss on bands I don't like like I did as a young adult. I think a lot of us probably did that when we were younger and still struggling to identify ourselves to the world. Dave Matthews Band, Phish and Tool took the brunt of hatred while I was in college. It's like, if you were huge into one them you seemingly made fun of the others since each band had a very distinctive following whose core was very different from the other.

I was probably 20-21 when those bands you mention started to take off. I think for a lot of us we grew up on the grunge sound + that weird (but cool) alternative era of the mid-90's, + we took to bands like Rage and Tool. For the most part Creed, Nickelback, Linkin Park, Staind, et all were arguably the same genre as that grungish music but they were the studio band that was selectively chosen and mass marketed. Comparing Linkin Park to Nirvana or Alice n Chains was like comparing Poison to Motley Crue.

That's how I always looked at it atleast. If you were born in 1987 and you were ragging on those bands in 2002 then you probably had an older brother and were just repeating what they were saying.

All valid points.

There’s a larger discussion in there involving “gatekeeping” and “purity” fandom in certain genres that ended up killing a lot of music during the 00/10s.

A lot of punk got absolutely crushed by that mentality because they kept kids out and a lot of fans just aged out of supporting those scenes - due to having kids, mortgages, etc.

All valid points.

There’s a larger discussion in there involving “gatekeeping” and “purity” fandom in certain genres that ended up killing a lot of music during the 00/10s.

A lot of punk got absolutely crushed by that mentality because they kept kids out and a lot of fans just aged out of supporting those scenes - due to having kids, mortgages, etc.
Yeah I feel like the mid to late 2000’s was when it became clearly evident that the artists with the better talent were not emerging from the mainstream radio/tv and music scene (not including most pop stars). I think a lot of that had to do with the internet and the rise of music festivals. And probably because smaller more independent record labels were popping up all over the place. They all had the band/music in mind first unlike the major labels who were known to squeeze them out of every penny they could get. By then it was very well known that the radio bands were getting screwed over so if you were still on the up and up you were going to be hesitant to sign with a major label.

It does make it really hard to support anybody though if you’re not going out to see live bands all the time. I have to rely on friends from DFW and Austin to let me know who is good these days. I just don’t have the time to seek out that info on my own. And really I just don’t care to either.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84

I see what you're saying but I don't necessarily agree.

I think a lot of music fans from all generations would say that wave marked the time when mainstream rock basically died.

I'm not one of those nostalgic Gen X types who thinks that the 90s were the golden age of music, but they were some of the most interesting and creative years of mainstream rock. Then, suddenly, we're bombarded by a more corporate and diluted version of Pearl Jam every time we turn the radio on.

Taste is obviously subjective, but I don't think that many serious music fans think highly of those bands, and I'll never buy the record sales argument. Just like there's little correlation between the highest-grossing and best movies, same thing for music. The masses, for the most part, accept what's fed to them.

Oh wait, I got it!

I used to watch Project Runway with my wife and NOT hate it.

Oh, and to save you guys the trouble:

giphy.gif

I call that genre of music “butt rock”.

I recall going to the “LRS Fest” in Louisville in the early to mid 2000s where most of those bands played. The music ****ing sucked nut, but watching the creatures attending that festival was half the fun, it was like going to the fair, except everyone was wearing JNCO jeans and had some chubby pasty gf each of the goth kids would fight over. Fascinating stuff. Me and a couple friends would get Stoney bologna by the Ohio river before hand basically watch a live movie of south end redneck kids wearing connector pants fall down in a sad mosh pit with said butt rock music playing, and pound mountain dews and other off brand sodas. Good times.

I recall going to the “LRS Fest” in Louisville in the early to mid 2000s where most of those bands played. The music ****ing sucked nut, but watching the creatures attending that festival was half the fun, it was like going to the fair, except everyone was wearing JNCO jeans and had some chubby pasty gf each of the goth kids would fight over. Fascinating stuff. Me and a couple friends would get Stoney bologna by the Ohio river before hand basically watch a live movie of south end redneck kids wearing connector pants fall down in a sad mosh pit with said butt rock music playing, and pound mountain dews and other off brand sodas. Good times.
giphy.gif

Reactions: UL_1986

The people watching at Rock on the Range in Columbus, OH is absolutely insane. 3 days in the campground and in the stadium with drunk kids (and adults) running around in groups like they're badasses is hilarious. The outfits, piercings and hair are something to see.

Reactions: UL_1986
ADVERTISEMENT