ADVERTISEMENT

GITT and tell me why Virginia shouldn't be ranked #1

LetsGoDuke301

Apr 4, 2009
Wilmington, NC
Team
Duke
10-0 in the ACC. They have lost one game overall and hold a 3 game lead by themselves in the conference. They have a win at Duke which by itself is better than any win Nova has.

So if Virginia wins at Syracuse this weekend, is there any way they don't move to #1?

I know rankings don't mean much. So save those responses.

Because we foul on every possession and dare the refs to call it.

Because we're boring and play a horrible style.

Because we'll flame out in March.

Everyone knows they will underachieve in March

Let's be clear, the only time they choked in March was against Syracuse - they had a Final Four appearance locked down, and lost it. Last year they were a young team and a 5 seed going up against a good Florida team, and the previous early exits were against two very talented, and absurdly under seeded, Michigan State teams.

10-0 in the ACC. They have lost one game overall and hold a 3 game lead by themselves in the conference. They have a win at Duke which by itself is better than any win Nova has.

So if Virginia wins at Syracuse this weekend, is there any way they don't move to #1?

I know rankings don't mean much. So save those responses.
Because Villanova keeps winning? They have one loss. Have beaten Gonzaga, UT and Xavier. All Top 25 teams. MOF, they beat #6 Xavier by 24. UVA is good. But, well, so is Nova. And hell I'd argue Purdue. IMO, they are (right now), better than both.

How is it wrong? UVA's three best wins: @ #2 Duke, vs #19 UNC(struggling at 5-5) and #22 Rhode Isalnd. Villanova's best wins: Vs #6 Xavier(by 24), Vs #12 Gonzaga and vs #18 UT.

Where's the big disparity? Where's the argument? Villanova has one loss. UVa has one loss. Both have the same amount of good wins.

So why should UVA be #1? Because they won @ Duke?

And like I said----RIGHT NOW, I'd take Purdue.

to be fair...everybody knows UVA is not a threat to do anything in march. Keep enjoying the regular season. Nothing can be said, just go off facts, they will flame out again this year. They should not even be in bracketolgy, because they will be gone by first weekend ends.

Reactions: mkuwonder
to be fair...everybody knows UVA is not a threat to do anything in march. Keep enjoying the regular season. Nothing can be said, just go off facts, they will flame out again this year. They should not even be in bracketolgy, because they will be gone by first weekend ends.

2017 - Second round (lost to an Elite 8 team)
2016 - Elite 8 (lost to a Final Four team)
2015 - Second Round (lost to a Final Four team)
2014 - Sweet 16 (lost to an Elite 8 team)

So we have made it past the first weekend 50% of the time in the last four years. Haven't lost in the first round since 2012. We may have underachieved in March but let's not pretend that we're some early round flameout every single year.

Reactions: precise02
Polls have obvious bias if you don’t believe me ask any other Kentucky fan

I mean it's generally a terribly boring style of play. But it's effective during the long haul of the season. Where people need to see it work better is in the tourney.

Really, the top three teams in the country right now could be interchangeable. Both Virginia and Purdue have been outstanding in conference play, while Villanova looked great in non-conference and still only has one loss, too.

2017 - Second round (lost to an Elite 8 team)
2016 - Elite 8 (lost to a Final Four team)
2015 - Second Round (lost to a Final Four team)
2014 - Sweet 16 (lost to an Elite 8 team)

So we have made it past the first weekend 50% of the time in the last four years. Haven't lost in the first round since 2012. We may have underachieved in March but let's not pretend that we're some early round flameout every single year.
You do realize that if you lose in the sweet 16 you have automatically lost to an elite 8 team and if you lose in the elite 8 you automatically lost to a final four team...right?

You do realize that if you lose in the sweet 16 you have automatically lost to an elite 8 team and if you lose in the elite 8 you automatically lost to a final four team...right?

giphy.gif

Duke is overrated imo. I don't think cause UVA squeaked by them on the road is necessarily the best argument. That said I can't say that UVA isn't the best team in the country.

Last edited:
Most of the country wants to see Villanova versus UVA for the championship. It's Best Offense versus Best Defense. An unstoppable force versus an immovable wall. It's that damn second round that keeps preventing both of us from making it there!

Duke is overrated imo. I don't think cause UVA squeaked by them on the road is necessarily the best argument. That said I can't say that UVA isn't the best team in the country.
This is a coward's shot at Duke. Duke is a good team and had always had success vs Virginia albeit in ugly fashion. For UVA to go into Cameron and win a game that Duke needed more than they did says a lot. Plus, I am going by a lot more than just that one game. They are 10-0 in the ACC and have only lost one game on the road vs WVU. The majority of their wins were never in question and they have THE better win on their resume vs Villanova and Purdue's best win and their only loss is a better loss than Villanova's and Purdue has two losses and more close games.

This is a coward's shot at Duke. Duke is a good team and had always had success vs Virginia albeit in ugly fashion. For UVA to go into Cameron and win a game that Duke needed more than they did says a lot. Plus, I am going by a lot more than just that one game. They are 10-0 in the ACC and have only lost one game on the road vs WVU. The majority of their wins were never in question and they have THE better win on their resume vs Villanova and Purdue's best win and their only loss is a better loss than Villanova's and Purdue has two losses and more close games.

The biggest reason why Nova is #1 and UVA #2 is because of preseason polls. I have no problem with Nova being #1 since I don't think you should fall out of the top spot without a loss in college basketball. With that said, I'm not sure their resume is better than ours.

The biggest reason why Nova is #1 and UVA #2 is because of preseason polls. I have no problem with Nova being #1 since I don't think you should fall out of the top spot without a loss in college basketball. With that said, I'm not sure their resume is better than ours.
Right. I am more talking about the next poll. We are far enough away from the preseason poll to rank teams accordingly. IMO if they keep Villanova at number one after this weekend (assuming neither lose) it has to be because they are easier on the eyes and nothing more.

Right. I am more talking about the next poll. We are far enough away from the preseason poll to rank teams accordingly. IMO if they keep Villanova at number one after this weekend (assuming neither lose) it has to be because they are easier on the eyes and nothing more.

Nova has the prettier face. UVA has the tighter vag.

ADVERTISEMENT