Gestures/Flexing/Actions after?

Discussion in 'College Basketball Board' started by Manx Cat, Feb 13, 2015.

1. Manx Cat

Manx Cat Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Another thread speaks favorite and hated players. Coryfly I know nobody really hates these young men, I hope. Anyway, some of the gestures, flexing, and actions after a good play can be annoying and the cameras seem to try to catch them all. I wonder when all of this actually started? I mean the Hulk like flexing, the Superman type flexing, the 3 ball eye deal, the stare down and flex at a defender you just dunked on. I remember long ago after an assist they would point and nod in recognition. Did Pistol Pete, Dan Issel,Wilt Chamberlain, Michael Jordan, or any in the past carry on and celebrate so? Not saying all of it is negative, some of it is fairly amusing. Duke fans don't get upset, just using this as an example. The other night a Duke player made a great play, then he did the Superman flex. The poor little fellow didn't have as much as a goose egg for a bicep, I actually laughed out loud, it was amusing. I have seen a few celebrate a bit too long and get burned, bet that chaps the coaches arse.Has this been going on forever and I have just missed it until the last 10-15 years?

2. Ipartiedwithhopgood

Ipartiedwithhopgood Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

I don't know when it started.

They are teens playing a game in front of thousands. As long as they don't get in the face of the opponent with it I say let it go. Yeah, if they cross THAT line clean it up. Do I like it? No. But I didn't care when Lamb did his 3 in the eye game and I don't care when Trez mugs either.

Sometimes I flex and mug in my team meetings. Everybody loves it. But, I look REAL good.

3. brooky03

brooky03 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Truly great players tend not to celebrate or gesture to the opponents in the ways you're describing because they can let their play speak for itself; so, the guys you mentioned likely didn't do it much. I would bet that other players celebrated back in those days but the lack of attention and cameras allowed it to slip through unnoticed. Of course there are exceptions, but chest thumping is typically reserved for lesser talented players in my experience, or players who may be really good at one level but not great at the next.

Personally, I've always been a fan of making a monster play and acting like it's just another day on the court/field. I don't like the idea of letting the opponent know that you think what you just did was special or out of the ordinary. Keep it reserved and let them know you plan on doing it all day.

As for the '3 goggles' and other stuff, they're more-or-less ways to keep the game fun and usually shared gestures amoung the team rather than taunts. They probably just evolved from simpler gestures (like holding your bent wrist up after nailing a jumper). Although, Pittsburgh's Carl Krauser used to make a stupid 'X' with his arms after making a 3 and it would bug the crap out of me.

4. Manx Cat

Manx Cat Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

I agree brooky. It's the same in football. I don't know when spiking the ball after a TD started. My memory may fail me here but, it seems I remember a running back for the Redskins would just run it in and either drop the ball or throw it to a ref. He let his running speak for itself, very classy.

5. Ipartiedwithhopgood

Expand Collapse

You are thinking of John Riggins.

Tomlinson of SD did the same thing.

So did Barry Sanders.

The one thing they had in common - they were pros.

6. coryfly

coryfly Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

I have never been a big fan of it. I don't mind the kids being emotional, in fact think at times it would help some Heels to be more emotional, but could do without the gestures. Brice is the one guy for us who likes to yell and I don't mind it at times. However, in the first half against UNC-A or something it probably isn't necessary. A more appropriate situation would have been like Harrell dunking and screaming during that comeback against us, which I thought was absolutely the right time to really show some emotion.

For some, it is probably just the way they stay engaged or something, sort of like how talking is for others. They look pretty stupid at times, though they obviously don't care.

7. Wojoman

Wojoman Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

The game is getting more boring and more boring every year. I absolutely love college bball but I freely admit that the product is not what it used to be. I welcome most anything that could shake or spice the game up at this point as long as its within reason and players don't actually try and show another specific player up. Heck I used to like to showboat a little when I did something good playing ball back in the day. And that was just high school ball. I personally don't see much wrong with it.

8. BIGBLUE402

BIGBLUE402 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Have to admit, Marshall Henderson did all this stuff at Ole Miss, and while I hated him for it, I had never looked more forward to a Ole Miss game while he was there. They even have a better team this year then when he was there but I won't even watch them even though moody is fun to watch.

9. wcc31

wcc31 Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

I like guys who play with emotion. I like fist pumps, arms raised, etc. I don't mind it. Of course, some guys can be over-the-top with the constant staredowns and posing (Terrence Jones, Thomas Robinson, Montrezl Harrell, etc) but it's not something that really bothers me that much.

10. Ipartiedwithhopgood

Expand Collapse

We ask them to go to class, be politically correct, you know - smoke weed in the off season only.

Let them have fun.

11. Steelers2012

Steelers2012 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

I have no issue with players celebrating within reason, as long as they get back on defense. I DO have an issue if a player celebrates in a manner that is disrespectful or taunting to another player or team. And I have no problem with said player receiving a technical for taunting when warranted.

12. brill

brill Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Brian WEstbrook was another. Run to the sideline. Act like you have been there before.

13. jarms24

jarms24 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

I like the 3 goggles, fist pumps, staredowns after a block or a posterizing dunk. It's fun. Gets the crowd more involved.

I do think some players do some of this stuff too much, and often when it's not warranted. That kind of takes some of the fun out of it. It's like, congrats you got a wide open dunk and now you're flexing.

Speaking of flexing, I also think some guys need to add some more moves to their repertoire. Occasionally, I enjoy a good flex, but it's starting to get old. Looking at you, Trez. [​IMG]

This post was edited on 2/13 11:05 AM by jarms24

14. Wojoman

Wojoman Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Or doing it if you are losing by like 10 or 20 points. That is just dumb.

15. jarms24

jarms24 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Yeah, that kills me. I hate when I'm watching football and a team is getting absolutely smoked, and when they score a TD, they go all Prime Time Deion in the endzone.

16. JustinSphere

JustinSphere Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

completely agree. I don't really care if a guy is pumped up playing with emotion and does a little stare down (like WCS during the UL game) or gets fired up. What pisses me off is when they're in the process of being fired up, staring, posing, etc and it takes their mind off the game and costs em (team gets fast break points the other way, player loses his man, etc).

Do whatever you want, just don't cost the team.

17. brooky03

brooky03 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

I'm cool with the other small stuff except staredowns after a big block or dunk. That's just asking for trouble and a subtle, albeit effective, form of taunting.

18. kansasrandy

kansasrandy Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

I think they haven't gone far enough.

Why flex when you could go full-on muscle competition. Front pose, back pose, maybe drop to one knee and point to the stars ala lord of the dance. Come on step up the game already.

Hit a three? Don't skip back on defense--Salsa back.

Dunk on a guy? Pick him up and both meringue.

Back flips after made free throws.

First team that executes the full team cartwheel after a made pick and pop is the one I am going to start rooting for.

19. Jwh67

Jwh67 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

I'm ok with it. The one thing cbb still has going for it, is the passion. The only exception is when your team is getting blown out. There is no reason to flex at, or stare down an opponent at is in the process of kicking your butt.

20. toonces11

toonces11 Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

LOL. I challenge you to come up with one example of Thomas Robinson posing.....ok, name two examples.....ah sh*t. It was almost every play. I'm a big fan of just giving the guy a little look and nothing else---but it is exponentially more tolerable when they play for your team. You cant argue against how it can affect the momentum and fire a team up---its undeniable. The only problem i have is when guys do it all the time and basically do it to draw attention to themselves, not b/c they are pumping up their teammates and truly fired up.

21. TheTruCatsFan

TheTruCatsFan Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

I'm fine with it, as long as it's within reason. I agree with others above that there's no need to disrepect another player or showboat just to showboat. I will say that Harrell is the only player I've ever seen go straight Randy "Macho Man" Savage while simply getting a rebound when his team is down double digits.

22. Quavarius

Quavarius Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Who cares. As long as they aren't doing it towards another player, I can't fault them for expressing emotions in front of the camera.
    Posted from Rivals Mobile

23. bkingUK

bkingUK Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Michael Jordan's tongue flexed all the time

24. manu1433

manu1433 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Guys like MJ, Magic, Bird, Lebron, Kobe, Malone, Barkley, Thomas and on and on and on

Most great players celebrated....the ones who didn't were definitely in the minority.

25. dmaso44

dmaso44 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

I flexed several times in a meeting last week and someone asked if I got enough sleep the night before. I said plenty, why? They replied cause you keep yawning and stretching. Needless to say, I have since give up flexing.

26. Demarcus Kidd-Miller

Demarcus Kidd-Miller Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

I don't mind it at all in most instances. But I do think it's hilarious when players have a wide open dunk and flex/scream like they just posterized somebody.

27. mebeblue2

mebeblue2 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

i have no problem at all with it

the only problem i have is when fans call a player a punk for doing it and then a couple of years later they have a player doing it and they are ok with it