Georgia players talk about motivation for Sugar Bowl.

Discussion in 'College Football Soundoff' started by VaultHunter, May 4, 2019.

1. G-DAWG1007

G-DAWG1007 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

You get that from your Burger King news outlet or your wife’s “special friend”...?

K-mart Clemson fans, too poor to go to Walmart or Winn-Dixie.... Their is always “Circle K” ...

GO DAWGS

2. collegefbfan2017

collegefbfan2017 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Prove it? It's been documented.

3. Jennerpeach41

Jennerpeach41 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

4. collegefbfan2017

Expand Collapse

Not exactly sure what you are asking me. But I will try to respond in a way that's sensible. I don't, obviously, set the terms from which s championship follows. Your inquiry seems to be about disproving me.
    Since I am human and prone to err I can maybe even commiserate with that position.
    And if you want to make it about me, you can. Whatever floats your boat.
    But I'm not lying when I say UCF claims a measure of 2018. That's factual. They do.
    As does Utah, particular to 2008.
    Again NOT because of me. But the prospectus I employ assuming its marketable should either validate, or in certain circumstances, remove a team which might not have a credential.
    But my intention isn't to discredit a team.
    I think I understand how difficult it can be to establish a team and therefore I try to be fair. As best as I can, anyway. As best as I know how, and admittedly my approach might not satisfy everyone
    UCF was a national champion because they were admitted to s championship (CFP) the Peach Bowl against a prominent (10-4) opponent and were successful. Defeated said opponent and were appropriately given a partial claim (1/3) to the championship.
    That's really not something we can argue about. That's a fair reflection to reality.
    Alabama, obviously pulling up the slack.
    But there's a problem relative to Alabama's claim. Simply stated it necessarily (a consequence of fomat) shared between two comparable (Oklahoma) opponents.
    Oklahoma as best as I can tell surrendered any claim to the championship but that simply means that there was a division in the ranks. Iowa St (interestingly ) takes over.

Rememver how I applied a co-championship to 1984? I did that because people kept saying, in as many words, that BYU had no business claiming ANY of 1984. To a measure that was true, because a national title necessarily must stand on it's own. Independently BYU legitimately claims 2/3.
    They need assistance. And interestingly (to me if to nobody else) it was available! To the degree necessary to pull in the slack. Iowa.

Similarly Iowa St (and in either circumstance this assuredly ISN'T something I invented. Iowa St with nearly an IDENTICAL record (8-5, but 8-4-1, if OT rules are administered.
    How bizarre is that? That's SPOOKY. Whom did Iowa St tie? Iowa (Iowa won in OT).
    That's INSANE. That it could happen the SAME way in a similar (dare I say identical?) Situation. As best as I can tell in 1984 that accounts (collectively) for 96% of a NC.
    Major where 100% is the gold standard.
    And in 2017, I approximate it at 95%.
    IMHO. As best as I can tell. Without being disingenuous. Within 5% for either claim.
    I think that's particularly noteworthy.
    Nor am I attempting to discredit UF in 1984.
    They will forever claim a full measure. I can't take legitimate titke claims away. You know that. But it's really interesting to note how similar those are. Incredibly similar. Eerie.

Anyway I see BYU claiming a full measure if 1984. By the method I just outlined. Make if it what you want to make of it but it appears to be a valid claim, nevertheess. UF has a claim. But it will always be asterisked. Not by ME. By the NCAA. I don't set the rules.
    Does Alabama have a potential asterisk?

I don't know. I think it's eerue there would be the similarities so I guess I wonder if Alabama's claim to 2017 is on the level. I don't think it's wrong to consider it might be asterisked. Not that I necessarily WANT it yo be but I believe in God. And the Lord works in mysterious ways. It wouldn't surprise me at all if there were something fishy about 2017. Particularly given how it played out.
    But that's neither here nor there but notwithstanding all that I believe UCF has a legitimate claim to the championship. Jointly, obviously, with Iowa St
    I welcome further inquiry. I'm trying to be transparent but Hollywood couldn't have written a better script. If you think it's phony bologna, you have yo justify (in 1984) a team clearly guilty of midconduct over one I think is Peachy clean. To overturn it. That's a tall order. Makes me think maybe God had a hand in it, somewhere. And in the other. And again I don't want to point the finger but yo me it's suspicious how Alabama merited inclusion within the process. Removed Clemson (feather in Alabama's cap as far as I'm concerned) removed Georgia, but really only tied Oklahoma. Both were 12-1-1.
    Nobody really 'won' the CFP NC is my point.
    Oklahoma (following year) lost to Alabama.
    Also Texas, which is noteworthy. Texas beat Georgia. In a title game. I think that PROVES that UCF were a national champion. Why?
    Iowa St beat everyone but Texas. In 1984 an essential element to the NC was Texas.
    Iowa beating them 55-17 proved it .(Also Texas having beaten S.Methodist). Who were 10-2 and a participant to the Aloha.
    A bowl that weighed prominently to the Belt.

Anyway. Assuming you follow the logic. And I'll be the first to admit it's haphazard. BYU by beating Baylor 47-13 proved they were a bona-fide NC contender because Baylor despite being only 5-6 eliminated Texas.
    In a title game. Tulsa, as I've stated beat Indiana St. Who were 9-0. 24-17 away.
    Indiana St (previous year) gave UF a run for the money. Lost 23-27 in Gainesville, FL.
    Finally Houston lost to Boston College.
    BYU (following year) beat BC., 28-14.
    It was essential that BYU prove superior yo Boston College and I know it was a year later. But it showed BYU's title was legitimate. Houston also lost to Louisville. Who were 2-9 but people know Louisville can ball. And Louisville lost to Indiana St
    Tulsa beat Indiana St. BYU beat Tulsa. 35-15. I think if a person is reasonable they understand how that's not only a quality win, but an expression of BYU's superiority.
    Tulsa isn't some lightweight pushover.
    They're incredible. Arguably the BEST to ever play in the Missouri Valley Conference.
    Steve Largent played at Tulsa. Not in 1984.
    Also Tulsa opened with a win over S.Illinois. who were the preceding year's FCS (I-AA) NC. Coincidetal? When does success stop being coincidental? Similarly UCF faced a comparable challenge and I believe maybe even eclipsed BYU. But BYU is tough to beat.

5. Jennerpeach41

Jennerpeach41 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

6. TheHomelessguy

TheHomelessguy Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Most Clemson know that there is always another there.

7. DTP2

DTP2 Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

A billion words needed to avoid the simple issue at hand.

8. MajorWarren

MajorWarren Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Again, this is your crazy ass ideas! You still have not produced anything from any major, respected, universally accepted sports/news outlets that have ever agreed with any of this bullshit! The only single person you are convincing with these constant novels you keep posting is you! Seems like a complete waste of time and space on this board because obviously your delusional mind has already been convinced.

9. stronghammer

stronghammer Well-Known Member
    Silver Member
    Expand Collapse

Manzier is this you getting ready for the game ?
    [​IMG]

10. Thunderball81

Thunderball81 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Need to give "Smart" a nickname. 4th and 11 "hey y'all watch this".

11. Lvste.Nole

Lvste.Nole Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Look, sometimes its just best to ignore the bait. Cats realize it gets under dawg's skin (no matter how much they try to act like it doesnt) so that just fuels the antagonists' resolve. Childish? Perhaps. But effective.

12. ugafish

ugafish Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Yes. You need to provide evidence. Tell us why nearly every team sport champion is decided by a playoff.

13. RealisticUGAfan1191v2.0

RealisticUGAfan1191v2.0 Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Walmart fan. Fanclub of 1. Love ya buddy.

14. RealisticUGAfan1191v2.0

RealisticUGAfan1191v2.0 Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

I laughed

15. ugafish

Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Exactly how I picture you

16. collegefbfan2017

Expand Collapse

I'm not delving into it. Auto Racing doesn't use a playoff and I'd say that's a 'team' sport. Actually you are wrong about it, regardless. And I'm not sure what point you are trying to make. Look at the past 5 years of CFP. Seriously. Playoffs SUCK. You can try to make a case in favor of it but I think you will have a difficult time doing so, in fact I know you will, because you have to try to convince everyone here that Georgia lost on principle. That's crazy. That never was a problem before (that I'm aware of). There were times that a team boycotted a bowl game, or possibly didn't suit up and the reservists were put in place of them, but I'm not sure what that has to do with having a playoff.

And "everyone" really loves a playoff? You know that? I gave a pretty good example (I thought) about an incident relative to a team I know about (I live in Alamosa, Colorado) they advanced to the national championship game. 1988. Read about it if you don't believe me, people still reminisce about it, even now.
    To get there they had to beat Pittsburgh St (Gorillas). Dennis Francione. Play that game in Kansas, probably a fair bet Adams St (Indians, but Grizzlies) lose. I'll be fair in my criticism. I mostly liked the game, I attended it. It was entertaining and I think it was a capacity crowd, but there was another game I think it was in 2004, against Colorado Mines that was at LEAST as popular.

Why do I bring it up? It was an R.M.A.C. (Rocky Mountain Athletic Conference) championship game. And for whatever reason it was here. And I think the Colorado Mines Orediggers won it, and Adams St was 7-4 overall. I believe in 1988 Adams St was 9-2 but lost the R.M.A.C. to Mesa St College (Mavericks) 71-21. If memory serves that was a road game, but it's been long enough ago now, I'm unfamilar with the particulars, but clearly the better team (that year) was Mesa St. Tony Martin played professional football for the Miami, Dolphins (wide receiver) he was a Q.B.

I had a cousin-in-law Darryl McInerney who played for Mesa St. He, along with my uncle Jay Jefferson are both in the Mesa St. College Hall of Fame.

For Adams St there was an exceptional quarterback Bobby Saiz. And there was a really good offensive lineman, too. Adams St has had good athletes. Scott Wiedeman was a DB and I think he's in Adams St's Hall of Fame, and a classmate of mine, Greg Jones played on the defensive side of the football. It was an AMAZING accomplishment. If you ever visit Alamosa, you will see a park bench relatively close to Adams St University (there's a statue of a grizzly bear that was sculpted by Jim Gilmore). Commemorating it, not UNLIKE how at Brigham Young University there's a twice-life statue commemorating THEIR accomplishment (1984 title game).

Similar, actually as far as what they did. Brigham Young, obviously didn't "win" the national championship. They were elected national champions. So, to your point a "playoff" I guess might have rectified the situation. But Florida wasn't eligible. They wouldn't have been admitted. Who would have? Boston College, who weren't in the NC, but played BYU to open 1985. That's why It's a foregone conclusion BYU legitimately claimed 1984.

17. ugafish

Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Nope. The driver is an individual, and even they use a playoff now. Add in tennis.

18. collegefbfan2017

Expand Collapse

I'm trying to be civil. BYU wasn't appropriated a national championship? I'm making that up? UCF wasn't recognized as a national champion? I'm pulling that out of my asshole? Think again. I think I've done a pretty decent job putting the pieces together in a way I think is incontrovertible. It would appear you're threatened by it. Why? You think it's better for Alabama to claim every title under the sun? That makes for a better, fairer, and simpler way to organize it? I don't remember saying Alabama (or Florida) were "undeserving". If I did I probably said it in frustration. I don't make those decisions. I'm not on any committee or anything else. I said the "Belt" seems to follow precedent. And, it does.

Ohio St (relative to the process someone else initiated) has the Belt. I think there are measures of the Belt so I'm including those, and that includes L.S.U. (beat UCF), Kentucky (beat Penn St.) and Clemson (beat Alabama). To approximately equal shares (I'm not big on making precise measurements). But, if pushed then I'll simply say the Belt is Ohio St's. That's not a controversial position. That's reality. That's simplicity. And it's interesting (isn't it?) how it excludes (if I'm not given some say over it) Clemson. Says not "everything" about CFP is exactly "peachy keen".

Regardless. I'm not going to apologize to you for being fair. Review it for yourself. Oklahoma LOST to Iowa St. (2017). I'm not making that up. Iowa St lost to W. Virginia and W. Virginia lost to Texas, and Texas lost to Texas Tech, and Texas Tech (in a title game, so it's hard to pretend it wasn't fair) lost to USF. who lost to UCF. Who were minimally legtimately qualified to challenge for a championship regardless of which side of the fence you are on. Most people I think understand why. But a prejudiced Mo Fo might not agree, too bad for you! I try to be civil. Yes, I have a problem with giving a NC to a team that LITERALLY (not figuratively) BACKED INTO IT.

Wisconsin had to lose. Furhtermore, even after LOSING it's not definitive that Alabama necessarily was the better team. Nobody knows. I'ts certainly POSSIBLE they were, just like it's POSSIBLE UF was in 1984. but it's assuredly NOT a foregone conclusion and I take exception to peopel who say it is. Without corroboration. My research and I studied my ASS off. says the following. BYU and UF particular to 1984 are COMPARABLE. A similar comparision between UF and Alabama says essentially the same thing. Actually in 1984, I think BYU has a greater claim over UF, but I can't say that because people like YOU get all pissed off about it, but it's not a lie! It's a fact. I'm sorry that BYU and UF weren't paired in a NC.

Some seem to think that would have proven UF was the better team. I don't think it would have, but REGARDLESS BYU/Iowa were a composite NC. No, tha'ts not conventional thinking. I know that. So what? I"m not lying. Look at 1985 and show me how I'm FOFS. Iowa was COMPARABLE to BYU. That CAN'T be a coincidence. There's evidence in SPADES. You can put blinders on I guess and look the other way, but I think I PROVED it.

BYU played Iowa in a title game. BYU and Iowa tied. 1991. 7 years later. So what? It proved (to me if to nobody else) how COMPARABLE they are. I even said if it's simply about IOWA then UF wins the argument. They beat Iowa I guess you can say that's THEIR title game, in 1983. But that wasn't BYU they beat. And Iowa got the living shit beat out of them by Illinois. Who BYU (effectively) defeated by beating U.C.L.A. (37-35) and Missouri.

If a team (any team) can beat the two teams that defeated Illinois that's the SAME as if BYU beat Illinois. BYU therefore (proxy) beat the LIVING SHIT out of Iowa, same as Illinois and UF had a difficult time putting Iowa away.

So, quit telling me I'm FOFS. You're just being obstinant. Furthermore, UCF doesn't retain the Belt, it's in L.S.U.'s hands now. UCF is removed from the process (just like BYU was AFTER in 1985, they were beaten by U.C.L.A.).

So, if you want to accuse me of lying you're going ot have to prove it, and I doubt you can. Finally BYU losing actually helped Alabama (1985) win a Belt. THE BELT. No askterisk no excuses, the LITERAL Belt, in 1985. Alabama won. by beating USC (S. California) in the Aloha Bowl, 24-3. That's a doubly-definitive win. That's an EXCLAMATION point. I'm not prejudiced against Alabama, I'm not discounting it, so why are you such a jerk? I say it so it's wrong? Because you "think so". Ok, ,that proves it.

I am wrong about everything but the fact is BYU claims a measure of 1984 anyway, as does UCF in 2017. You ask for validation? Ask the people who validate it. I think UCF's was a result of one selector, but I don't really care. UCF claimed a mesure of the Belt NC (by beating Memphis) in 2018. Retroactively applying that standard, puts UCF right at the top of the ladder.

You can't claim I'm wrong without being a cheater, and a liar, and a scoundrel to boot. You don't like competiton determining a NC? You think they should just give it to Alabama since they have the best players? No.
    I think a championship should be awarded not voted on or hypothesized.

One more time, as best as I can tell BYU and UF were comparable. (I won't include my prejudice). Either "might" have claimed the title, independently. But that wasn't an option and it was ONLY because UF was ineligible. Which leaves BYU as the ONLY team with any claim to 1984, anyway.

In 2017, I think given that Alabama really didn't beat Georgia (OT isn't official) there's a question about who the BEST team actually WAS. And I dont' think it's fair to presume a team wins, without playing it out, and a comparison (UCF beat Auburn) lends itself to putting UCF before Alabama.

Sue me if you don't like it. I'm not the ONLY person who feels this way. I'm
    not making "shit up". I'm following protocol. If anyone's "making shit up" I think it's you. Pretending you "already know" the result before it happens. Show me ANYWHERE where that's standard protocol. "oh, we already know that Oakland will beat Atlanta, so we'll just give the title to Oakland".

I'm not convincing anyone of anything they don't already know. You asked for verification. I think I provided that. What do you expect me to do. FORCE UF and BYU from 1984 to play in a title game? You're asking for evidence that isn't there, but like I said, I see no evidence that says absolutely UF was a better team than BYU, and I DO see evidence that clearly FAVORS BYU over UF (BYU beat Michigan who beat Miami, FL who beat UF). And in 2018, UCF beat Auburn who beat Alabama. That's out of line? I think Alabama CHEATS!!!!!!!!

19. collegefbfan2017

Expand Collapse

Tennis isn't a playoff. They actually rank players, a tournament I suppose is. You simply are uneducated. I feel sorry for you in a way. I'm 50 years old. You obviously have a lot to learn. One event isn't a national championship anyway. All a tournament is is one person's idea of what a title might be. I've been pretty good about giving fair reason for my opinion. You think a playoff works "perfectly". Bob Golic (Cleveland's captain) didn't play in a AFC title. I think they (because you seem to know all the answers) ought to retroactively give Cleveland the AFC title win, because Cleveland wasn't at 100%. Fair?

20. ugafish

Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Wimbledon, the us open, the Australian open, the French open are bracketed tournament style championships.

21. collegefbfan2017

Expand Collapse

That's an individual championship, not a team bracket, you're comparing an apple to a pear, and I'm not really that interested in what professional tennis does. Again, it's sad I have to explain this to you. It's sad because I have better things to do with my time. Georgia clearly wasn't a NC in 2018. I don't even have to spend a minute explaining why. You can believe it, but you'd be wrong, and part of the evidence is their having lost to Texas in the Sugar Bowl. I don't have to interpret what that says, that says Texas was a better football team, that day, regardless of the reasons (excuses).

22. ugafish

Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

There are individual tourneys that crown a champion and team tourneys that crown a champion. Point is, Almost every sport uses playoff tourneys to crown their champs.

23. collegefbfan2017

Expand Collapse

Dude swimming is a team sport and they don't use a playoff. Track and field is a team sport and they don't require a playoff. Wrestling is a team sport and they don't use a playoff. Hell, hardly ANY of the team sports use a playoff. Educate yourself then come back and tell me how wrong you are about it.

24. MajorWarren

Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

You haven’t provided one single thing I challenged you to, which I am not surprised at because it doesn’t exist. No recognized publication nor sports outlet has ever mentioned anything you espouse as fact (last years Sugar Bowl was a championship game - there were multiple champions - last years results have any bearing on this years champion - and multiple other nonsense) Thanks for playing. Now go about your business and have fun in that warped mind of your!

25. collegefbfan2017

Expand Collapse

Nearly ALL don't. That's how I know you're an idiot, at the amateur level nearly ALL don't require a playoff and while some utilize one, it's clear they're contrived and stupid in how they're utilized and likely don't have any validity.

26. collegefbfan2017

Expand Collapse

I'm doing a survey right now that includes data compiled by Sports Reference. SRS (simple sports survey). It will corroborate everything I've said, which is kind of funny because now you're calling me a LIAR. Obviously I'm not a liar. Obviously I'm a champion of the truth. Clearly you're just an imbecile and that's the cake I guess I'll be eating when I'm done.

27. MajorWarren

Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

I don’t necessarily, though not out of the question, think you are a liar. You’re just nuts! I didn’t ask for a survey or any other nonsense you bubble up. I ask for one example of any generally accepted sports outlet or sports publication that has ever said or published anything that that validates any of this garbage you continue to vomit up on this board.

28. ugafish

Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

All utilize one:

Football
    Basketball
    Baseball
    Tennis
    Soccer
    Lacrosse
    Hockey
    Wrestling
    NASCAR
    Track and field
    Swimming
    Gymnastics

Now it’s your job to list what does not utilize one. You have almost nothing to choose from.

29. collegefbfan2017

Expand Collapse

Not universally. They are applied within certain parameters, but in reality there isn't one universally accepted format that utilizes a playoff, and throughout the paradigm of intercollegiate athletics many choose NOT to apply a playoff logistic, so you're simply wrong, as ususal.

There are various post-season and pre-season championship tournaments, but not one universal proven way to select ONE champion. The NCAA bracket is set by a committee. One year Virginia Commonwealth very nearly won the tournament, but weren't a top-seed or anywhere even REMOTELY close to it and another year Connecticut won after finishing 9th in the Big East. Obviously one title can't follow from a simple bracket of teams, and it's clearly not the best way.
    Double-elimination, but somehow includes a best-of-three. That's a glaring contradiction and has created serious problems to the result. That's not my interpretation either, that's the God's honest truth. And people are having difficulty understaning how to apply a fair and proper one. So I don't think I'm wrong by suggesting there are few problems with it. I remember Fresno St played Georgia in a championship. If memory is correct both weren't supposed to be especially good that year, F.W.I.W.
    I'm not very familiar with tennis but they apply a ranking system from which players are positioned into a single-elimination bracket. But I'm pretty sure tennis is an INDIIVIDUAL sport not a team sport.
    Like most sports they participate within a conference which likely takes every game into account and recognizes a champion based on W/L% and I don't follow it closely enough to know that the championship is.

When I attended college LaCrosse was a club sport and I don't know precisely how they administer their championship, but it probably does apply some kind of single-elimination championship, post-season. But I'm not sure I really care all that much what La Crosse does. It's an unusual sport and I doubt too many people are very familiar with it.

As best as I can tell, it's administered in a way that FOUR teams are admitted to the championship. The Frozen Four. Likely a result of what they did all season, and relatively few schools have a hockey team.
    Wrestling most commonly are duals. I think at the championship level, teams are admitted and wrestle, individually, from which points are tallied, and the national champion is the team that has the most finalists (or individuals who finish higher in the result). It assuredly ISN'T a playoff and it's ridiculous you would imply it is. It's about as far removed from a playoff as one can get without flying to the moon. They tally individual results and make an inference relative to the #1.

Individual competitors are tallied based on their result, which as best as I can tell is based on qualifying times and heats. Which isn't a playoff, but you probably would, mistakenly, presume it is. The only reason they have heats is there are more teams than lanes. If they could they'd put everyone in a single heat and run the event that way, but clearly that's not a playoff or remotely approaching one. Show me a playoff that allows 15-20 schools to compete at the same event, at the same time.

Clearly not a playoff, but I imagine they might have duals, and wrestling does have duals, I'm sorry I omitted that but at the championship level they don't use duals to determine a champion.
    Not as familiar with the process but it's clearly not a playoff but individuals vie for individual titles which I presume feature a host of teams from which an individual championship follows. I know that's not what you want to hear, but at least you're learning now what a NC actually IS. It's not one person, or one athlete, or one event. Particularly in gymnatistics, and you're telling people that's the method applied? Hardly.

I haven't been active in any sport other than team sports, but none of the ones I participated used a playoff, you're simply confused and delusional. Even the ones that DO are limited (Frozen Four for example). Practically the same four teams every year. By the way my objective isn't to make you look stupid, You're just ignorant. There's a big difference. I'm sure you've played sports, I'm sure you know what's involved. I don't have to outliune the process I'm sure you understand it. What you're not getting and I'll be the first to admit it's not necessarily an easy concept to know, is there are many aspects that follow a team championship, regardless of how it's administered.

In cross country, for example when I ran, anyway, 7 people ran and 5 counted. Clearly that's not a playoff, either. My point simply is there isn't a "cure-all" that works for every event. A playoff (single elimination) isn't practical. I know that there are INDIVIDUAL sports that utliize one. But all you've really done is prove I was right. Practically NOBODY uses a playoff.

30. ugafish

Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Every level of high school
    Every level of college
    Every level of pro

All utilize a playoff to determine its champion.

31. ugafish

Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Yep. Every conference tourney and both the NIT and NCAA are playoff formats.

32. collegefbfan2017

Expand Collapse

Yeah, I know so which one selects the proper champion? See, you can't answer that because you don't know. Why isn't the NIT champion a NC? No reason other than that the committee elected not to include the NIT in the championship. Which means there IS NO universal way to choose a NC.

33. ugafish

Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Still a playoff.

34. ugafish

Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Doesnt matter because its an irrelevant question to the discussion. This is simply about which sports utilize a playoff and which ones do not.

35. collegefbfan2017

Expand Collapse

Again I don't want to argue with you about this. Playoffs are stupid. I'm glad you get all happy when you see teams play each other in a playoff. I don't. I've told you what the ramifications are. Either you're too stubborn or you just want to be a PITA. I'll use Georgia if you don't mind as evidence that a playoff isn't a 'better' arrangment for anyone, particularly them. They DON'T advance after LOSING a title game (regardless of where you stand on this issue, they LOST the only game the SEC championship) that otherwise might have admitted them. They're ELMIMINATED. As a result of a "playoff". In favor of a team (Oklahoma) who won their championship game. Meaning there wasn't any mistake relative to who was selected and it would have been stupid if not completely insane to give Georgia another shot.
    But whatever. Admit them. Let them play, say the team (Texas) that also very nearly were admitted (there isn't any rule that says it's necessary about a ranking) and pair them together in say, the "champions" bowl and let's make a judgment about the winner, if they meet the standard of admittance.
    That's Texas. That's why nobody INCLUDING you thinks Georgia was cheated. No second guessing required. Strike three, you're OUT! Doesn't matter if they weren't motivated. Because that's a lame excuse anyway.

36. ugafish

Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

So lets see your list of leagues that dont utilize a playoff. So far its ZERO.

37. collegefbfan2017

Expand Collapse

That doesn't help your side if it. I sympathize. I do. I know we aren't friends but I'd like to believe if we met we'd be chums. You are free to entertain the idea of a playoff. And many of your arguments are substantive. I am certainly not an authority figure. And Im sorry if I insulted you. I'm not trying to burn a bridge. I simply feel strongly to my side of it. I'm sure there are people who will probably always want a championship (that's the verbage, I noticed you keep saying playoff). It's called championship. The format. I'm not sure who initiated it but it's a more precise reflection .
    I'd prefer you reference it that way. FCS is championship. CFP isn't. It isn't because if it was there wouldn't be any bowl pairings connected to it. So clearly CFP isn't championship. But there IS an element to it.
    The championship game is. The title game.
    Is of the playoff metric. But that's one game.

So really any comparison to a playoff is limited to that game, only. Although the field is essentially limited to four teams. I'm not trying to make you look bad. Your opinion is relevant. I'm sure some might even share it.
    Perhaps the players do, also. I honestly wouldn't know much about it. I'm progressive. If you think bowls are antiquated then maybe it's time to change.

But I'm of the opinion that would be a mistake and it seems an unlikely proposition, at best, they would survive a mass exodus to the championship format.

We have five years of comparitive data.
    BCS (NC) would have in all likelihood been as follows:
    2014: Alabama vs. Florida St.
    Rose: Ohio St. vs. Oregon
    2015, 2016, ,& 2018: Alabama vs. Clemson.
    2017: Georgia vs. Clemson.
    Sugar Bowl: Alabama vs. Oklahoma.
    That's what I see. I think CFP frankly sucks.
    I'm not sure what benefit you think we get from it. I see literally no benefit at all.
    Look again and tell me how CFP is a better result it seems like you are fabricating it.
    I see zero benefit to a playoff. I don't think people are having a better time at the NC.
    But maybe I'm wrong. Maybe they are, but I suspect that's just your own interpretation.
    I dont care if Georgus tanks. I'm tired of hearing about them. They obviously weren't a national champion regardless of the reason. Do why make excuses? It doesn't make them look any better. Play to win.
    If in fact you aren't interested simply forfeit.
    But let the excuses stop. They've got to stop. I'm not interested in hearing why you lost. I doubt anyone truly CARES why you lost. Even of everyone was out with pneumonia. That's still (IMO) a lame excuse.

38. ugafish

Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

My side is most every sports league utilizes a playoff, so it does help. You cant prove me wrong either.

39. MajorWarren

Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

He can't prove anything because he dreams this shit up!

ugafish likes this.
  40. autzen_rocks

autzen_rocks Poster
    Expand Collapse

I found a thread that I could totally see being friends with @ugafish

Wow.