Gamers

Discussion in 'College Basketball Board' started by jarms24, Oct 18, 2015.

1. TheDude1

TheDude1 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Seriously, wtf. How does nobody respond to FTL and Rome Total War? You damn people...

bMORE607 and jarms24 like this.
  2. sven187

sven187 Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

I don't play games on my iPad. It is strictly for comic books only.

3. Longstrangetrip

Longstrangetrip Moderator
    Expand Collapse

What a nerd.

4. USMC Cat

USMC Cat Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

I still play ETW on my laptop.

Also play AGEOD: Civil War 2, Banished, RRT3, and AOE2.

TheDude1 likes this.
  5. bMORE607

bMORE607 Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Already sunk many hours into Rome total war and barbarians.

TheDude1 likes this.
  6. ThroughBlue

ThroughBlue Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Without reading the whole thread how many BF1 gamers on Xbox one

7. TheDude1

TheDude1 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

There are a number of us:)

And good to see some total war guys! I actually built the old school Napoleonic Total War mod for Medieval Total War some 15 years ago, and then the ACW and AWI versions too. Some of my favorite video game work!

bMORE607 likes this.
  8. HRTheCard

HRTheCard Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Playing Rocket League until Madden 18 and NBA 18 and Destiny 2 and World War II

9. MOX-MOX

MOX-MOX Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

question. would you buy a refurbished playstation 4 from gamestop? I remember the playstation 2s tore up alot. Does gamestop give you a warranty on used systems? Also what is the difference between the different playstation 4s. Thanks.

10. jarms24

jarms24 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

WWII beta sucked

11. MOX-MOX

MOX-MOX Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

what does 1tb and 400 tb mean?

12. RR30

RR30 Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

That is hard drive sizes. 1 TB is one terabyte, a pretty normal size hard drive nowadays. I use a 2 terabyte hard drive in my Xbox One S.

MOX-MOX likes this.
  13. brooky03

brooky03 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

I generally don't buy used/refurbished computers or game consoles, but if budget is a factor, you gotta do what you gotta do. You'd probably be safe buying a refurbished PS4 from Gamestop; they're pretty reliable systems. Just guessing, but there are probably better refurbished system deals out there than what Gamestop is offering.

Last I remember, Gamestop gives you a 30 day warranty and you have to buy an extended one or two year warranty if you want the extra coverage. I think they just replace your broken system with another used/refurbished system that has identical specs.

The 'regular' PS4's differ in hard drive sizes. A bigger hard drive means you can save more game data, obviously. Games these days take up a lot of hard drive space. You'll have to gauge how much space you'll need based on how many different games you think you'll play. The PS4 Pro is a PS4 on steroids. All games can be played with either console, but some games will allow you to play with improved (4k) graphics if you have the PS4 Pro.

MOX-MOX likes this.
  14. bMORE607

bMORE607 Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

All depends on how much you play. Buying refurbished is fine, sometimes things come up, but usually you will notice right away.

MOX-MOX likes this.
  15. UPnorth Illini

UPnorth Illini Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

What was wrong with it ?

16. jarms24

Expand Collapse

Every session I got in had so much latency, I would without doubt get the drop on somebody and then I'd get killed by what felt like 2 bullets.

I'm a pretty avid COD player so it wasn't me. It also wasn't my connection. Maybe they're still trying to get their infrastructure optimized.

17. jarms24

Expand Collapse

Also, they only circulated 3 maps and the game modes were trash. No hardcore? Lame

18. npreston

npreston Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Anyone else looking forward to Grand Turismo? I plan on making a driving simulator cockpit. I've found blueprints for a PVC piping cockpit, looks pretty easy to build. Going all in on the steering wheel, pedals, etc, can't fvcking wait.

SNU0821 and jarms24 like this.
  19. Montana81

Montana81 Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

I work tonight and then I'm off the next two weeks to do nothing but grind destiny 2.

Don't judge me

jarms24 likes this.
  20. jarms24

Expand Collapse

When does that drop?

21. npreston

Expand Collapse

October 17th, I believe. Already requested the day off work, and my son thinks he's skipping school (depends on what my wife has to say about it).

jarms24 likes this.
  22. npreston

Expand Collapse

23. brooky03

Expand Collapse

24. J-Rye_UL

J-Rye_UL Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

I built one from 80/20 that I use with Forza Motorsport. The good thing about 80/20 is that everything can be adjusted with set screws, but it's pricey. Try to find an old seat out of a car, so that it has about 5"-6" of adjustability built in. I was a huuuge Gran Turismo fan, until Forza came along and blew them out of the water about 10 years ago. Maybe the gap has closed, but I haven't really had the chance to play a Gran Turismo game in 10 years

This new COD WWII, was the beta quality crap, or does the whole game seem like it will be crap? I hated Infinite Warfare. Jetpacks and laser beams just aren't my thing. I was happy to see they were going back to WWII theme, but it's easy to muff that one.

25. teenukfan15

teenukfan15 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

I'm going to keep my pre-order. I agree that the beta wasn't great, but there will be more than just three maps in the full game, plus additional war mode maps, which I did enjoy.

I'm not crazy about the divisions over CAC, but I can live with it.

jarms24 likes this.
  26. npreston

Expand Collapse

That's exactly what I plan to do. I'll be fighting my boys for playing time, they'll definitely need an adjustable seat. I was thinking about calling salvage yards for a sti/evo type drivers seat. Something fairly reasonable.

27. JimboBBN

JimboBBN Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

NBA 2k18 comes out in about 2 weeks I think. Will be ordering very soon!

npreston and TheDude1 like this.
  28. bkingUK

bkingUK Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

I had an epiphany while playing FIFA the other night. Started to think about how much money and time I've spent in my life playing video games.

So, I mother trucking sold off three consoles and 30+ games to GameStop yesterday. Cold fvcking turkey. I'm done.

29. RR30

RR30 Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Meh. It's a medium of entertainment. Just like movies, books and sports.

npreston, jarms24 and SNU0821 like this.
  30. brooky03

Expand Collapse

I hated 2K17. Is 18 going to have a better shooting mechanic?

31. JimboBBN

Expand Collapse

What did you hate about 17? The only complaint I really have is in MyPark, the shooting is at a really unrealistic percentage. I mean, its truly not fun sometimes. Guys pulling up from half court and draining it with no issue. I would say the best shooters online hit about 75 percent from 3. Just makes the game frustrating. If 18 lowers that percentage then I won't have much to complain about. Not sure about the new shooting mechanic.

32. Longstrangetrip

Longstrangetrip Moderator
    Expand Collapse

Same here, I will keep the pre-order for the campaign and the zombies mode. This version of zombies looks INSANE.

I am with Jarms on the game play. It was meh. Graphically its very nice though, very clean and realistic looking.

jarms24 likes this.
  33. brooky03

Expand Collapse

I don't play MyPark much. I just found it frustrating that it was darn near impossible for me to get a green release with anybody. I also thought the collision detection and defense in general was trash. I don't play as much as I used to, so that could be a lot of the issue, but I remember 2K16 being much easier to pick up and play from the start.

Also, could somebody please tell 2K to stop remapping the buttons every freaking year?

JimboBBN likes this.
  34. DukeRulesBasketball

DukeRulesBasketball Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Already got mine preorderd. I can't wait! I'm gonna get NBA live 18 also!

JimboBBN likes this.
  35. brooky03

Expand Collapse

The first game to get licenses with the Power 5 schools individually, with truly randomized rosters but a beefy player editor, will get my money. I miss college basketball and football video games so much. I had way more fun playing them than I've ever had with pro basketball and football games. I don't think the NCAA is eager or willing to sell a license in the near future for such a game (Thanks O'Bannon), but 2K has shown the potential through individual school licenses.

36. JimboBBN

Expand Collapse

I had honestly forgotten EA made an NBA game. For as long as I can remember, 2k has always produced a better product, regardless of sport. You'll have to let me know how you like Live, though. I am definitely interested on some feedback.

37. bkingUK

Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Hey I'm not gonna convince you otherwise.

Bkinguk is getting into investments though in part because of FIFA.

I was able to piggy back off an open source API library and automate transactions in the FIFA Ultmate Team market using algorithms to buy low and and sell high, while taking advantage of players with low knowledge of the market who would sell players far below market worth. Since I could automate the process, I could pick those players up faster than most humans could find the deal.

Ended up generating several million tokens that would have cost hundreds of thousands of dollars to buy. Figure I might as well apply this to a field that benefits me. So, bking out. Actually the first time in my life I can recall not owning a console. Feel like I'm quitting heroin.

38. bkingUK

Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

If they ever made another college basketball game I'd jump back into gaming. I was actually a top 10 player in NCAA Basketball 2010, which was the last college basketball game made.

I hated NBA 2K17. Steph Curry single handedly ruined basketball video games. You can win in 2K17 by running around the 3 point line with the ball and chucking a 3 if you have any amount of space to shoot. So, if you have a player like Curry you can exploit the shit out of that with little strategy.

39. J-Rye_UL

J-Rye_UL Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

The worst thing about 2K is the downright offensive load times. Anyone who played MyCareer can relate. Your player maxes out at an 88 rtg and then you have to "practice" 8 times to earn another upgrade slot. "Practice" involves loading for 3 minutes, spend 60 seconds doing the Vertical Leap drill twice, then load for 3 minutes back to the main menu. Rinse and repeat 8 times and you've earned yourself a shiny +1 strength upgrade!!! It's nothing short of a massive failure on their part, and if they don't fix it with 2K18, I'll be waiting till March to buy it, like I have ever since 2K13.

Most games are ruined when they make it pay for play. NBA 2K is no exception. There are literally people who spend thousands - YES, THOUSANDS - of dollars trying to make a pink diamond roster in MyTeam. That's great for 2K that people are that fvcking stupid, but it sucks for the rest of us who stand a 0% chance of landing a single pink diamond player unless I'm dropping money that I'd rather spend on stuff that actually matters. Even COD has done the same think with this "Depot." No telling how much money people spend to have a gun that is better than everyone else in multiplayer. Buncha pu$$ies imo

JimboBBN and RR30 like this.
  40. bkingUK

Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

MyTeam for 2K was modeled from FUT in FIFA. What 2K didn't do though is weight roster strength when matching players, but matches on purely on tier. So, you are much more likely to play a team you have no shot against. Also, since shooting is so much easier with high players it makes outcomes of games much more dependent on roster strength. It's much easier to win a game with standard players vs elite players in FIFA compared to 2K.

The pool of players is also 10x bigger in FIFA than 2K since it's a worldwide game. To get around this, 2K introduced historic players to inflate the player pool, and it's still a much smaller amount of possible players. So, they then create more special versions of players to further inflate the player pool, but then that means a good player today might be relatively average a month later. But then shooting is already overpowered in 2K and in order to sustain their model they have to make players better shooters with every version, which makes it even easier to exploit the game.

A vanilla Lebron James card is a worse player than a special Rex Chapman card, despite Rex Chapman never being better than Lebron at any point in his career. It makes zero sense.

So, yeah, it's just not a good system for a basketball game. What would be cool is if they introduced something like trading into the game or if they were to "free up" the market to allow users more freedom of player transactions -- something that is closer to how pro basketball actually works. Instead, they are trying to take a square and make it a circle.

680 bkingUK, Sep 5, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2017