ADVERTISEMENT

Game week - Official GOAT Series in all of Sports Thread

Stop being a Kentucky fan. unc dominated the series back when @Bert Higginbotha was shitting in bluegrass diapers. You guys do have the bragging rights when it comes to head to head overall. But that is just a deflection from how it's been for most of our lives.

82-50... Yeah, but who has the head to head lead? Duke sweeps unc.... yeah but who has the head to head lead?
When I was shitting bluegrass diapers, no North Carolina school had ever won a title and there was no ACC! Actually in fact Kentucky had never won a title.

I love you anyway @LetsGoDuke301 .

Last edited:
Anyone can cherry pick a time frame to make their argument. I’m into overall numbers but you don’t have much in that regard before K got to Duke.

Still a top-10 program with 4 Final Four appearances. But yes, if you account for overall history, then Duke is a notch below several programs. If you account for the modern era, which I think should begin with the introduction of the 3-point shot (1986-87 season), then Duke stands at the top. And honestly, I think the separation is significant.

But to each his own. So I take it you regard UNC as the third greatest basketball program behind UCLA and Kentucky?

Still a top-10 program with 4 Final Four appearances. But yes, if you account for overall history, then Duke is a notch below several programs. If you account for the modern era, which I think should begin with the introduction of the 3-point shot (1986-87 season), then Duke stands at the top. And honestly, I think the separation is significant.

But to each his own. So I take it you regard UNC as the third greatest basketball program behind UCLA and Kentucky?

3rd in titles, 2nd behind UK in all time when ranking programs.

candid shot of @dukedevilz cheering his little heart out.

giphy.gif

3rd in titles, 2nd behind UK in all time when ranking programs.

Wait, 2nd rated program? How did UNC leapfrog over UCLA, a program that has 5 more national titles? Am I to assume Temple is a top 5 program even though they don't have any national titles?

Wait, 2nd rated program? How did UNC leapfrog over UCLA, a program that has 5 more national titles? Am I to assume Temple is a top 5 program even though they don't have any national titles?
Not to argue; however, you keep calling UCLA a top program. I don't think that they are. Titles are not the only thing that determines a "program". Following, history, success and titles. 10 of UCLA's titles came in 12 years when Sam Gilbert was the man in charge.

UCLA has the most titles but probably their program would not rate in the top 30. UCLA has no following. Unless they are winning a title no one give a crap about them. They play in an average league.

UNC is far and away a better program than UCLA. In fact I think that UNC is probably the second best "program" in college basketball. UNC has 6 titles, a bunch of total wins, they have been good over the majority of the history of the NCAA and they have a massive following. Three of their last titles are tainted but the NCAA looks the other way, but the are one of the top "programs".

Reactions: tw3301 and Scotty00
Not to argue; however, you keep calling UCLA a top program. I don't think that they are. Titles are not the only thing that determines a "program". Following, history, success and titles. 10 of UCLA's titles came in 12 years when Sam Gilbert was the man in charge.

UCLA has the most titles but probably their program would not rate in the top 30. UCLA has no following. Unless they are winning a title no one give a crap about them. They play in an average league.

UNC is far and away a better program than UCLA. In fact I think that UNC is probably the second best "program" in college basketball. UNC has 6 titles, a bunch of total wins, they have been good over the majority of the history of the NCAA and they have a massive following. Three of their last titles are tainted but the NCAA looks the other way, but the are one of the top "programs".
Bert, you go wash that gay off of you right now!

I was mostly pointing out the inconsistency in his argument. He said that he was in to "overall numbers." If that's the case, then UCLA is the top program from a titles standpoint, and Temple is a top 5 team from an overall wins standpoint. Not sure many would argue in favor of either.... but at the same time, I think I'd rather have 11 titles than 6.

Last edited:
Reactions: tw3301 and sgrooms
I thought last night when Jay Williams was saying Duke has won eight of 10 over UNC, he was speaking to when both were ranked in the top 10 at the same time. That's how it came across to me.

Great, so what's the formula for enumerating the top ranked teams of all-time?

Titles is part of the equation. You’re making the knowledgeable Duke fans on this forum look bad if you don’t know the criteria when it comes to all time rankings.

Titles is part of the equation. You’re making the knowledgeable Duke fans on this forum look bad if you don’t know the criteria when it comes to all time rankings.

Obviously NCAA Titles are a part of the equation. And certainly you could factor in other things like wins, final fours, conference championships, etc. But what I'm getting at here, is it becomes subjective. It's very subjective. I think a UCLA fan should feel pretty comfortable saying 11 > 6. There is no perfect formula. In other words, it's another form of cherry-picking.

Anyone can cherry pick a time frame to make their argument.

Obviously NCAA Titles are a part of the equation. And certainly you could factor in other things like wins, final fours, conference championships, etc. But what I'm getting at here, is it becomes subjective. It's very subjective. I think a UCLA fan should feel pretty comfortable saying 11 > 6. There is no perfect formula. In other words, it's another form of cherry-picking.

Just because you have more titles doesn't equate you're the best program all time. Go ahead and say UCLA is better program all time than UK and let me know how that discussion will turn out.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
I mean, you and I aren't playing. I was talking about the theoretical baby inside Carolina.

I'm confident but I won't be surprised if we shit the bed. I know it doesn't make sense but this team can be world beaters on any given night and it can get punked by anyone.

Reactions: tw3301
I'm confident but I won't be surprised if we shit the bed. I know it doesn't make sense but this team can be world beaters on any given night and it can get punked by anyone.
Just from what I have seen, you guys struggle against pressure defense and teams that rebound at or above your level. When unc rebounds and hits the three, they look like world beaters. Duke relies on creating turnovers and offensive rebounds. We'll see who plays to their strengths.

Reactions: tw3301
Just from what I have seen, you guys struggle against pressure defense and teams that rebound at or above your level. When unc rebounds and hits the three, they look like world beaters. Duke relies on creating turnovers and offensive rebounds. We'll see who plays to their strengths.

If you guys chuck up 40+ 3 pointers then I like your chances but what you said is accurate. If you turn us over at a high rate then its game over.

UNC owns duke all time
Dean owned K
K owns UNC since Dean retired
Roy outshining K since coming home.

Pretty much.

So could I conversely say:

K outshined Dean (better performances in the Tournament)
K owns Roy (better head-to-head) ?

They're both great programs, albeit one school uses a color that is mostly associated with babies.

What kind of weirdos hate babies? I also feel like you can't endorse drawing naked pictures of each other (NTTIAWWT) and also try to subtly insult using a color in that way.

Pretty much.

What kind of weirdos hate babies? I also feel like you can't endorse drawing naked pictures of each other (NTTIAWWT) and also try to subtly insult using a color in that way.

Nothing against babies. Just seems like grown men would prefer to wear non-infantile colors.

To substantiate my point farther, why don't you find a UCLA fan on this board.

Sorry you are going to fail. There ain't none that I can recall.

No one in Los Angeles gives a shit about college basketball unless UCLA is undefeated and ranked number 1. UCLA is a massive school and I think that the last sellout was for the Kentucky game played there on Dec. 3, 2015.

Reactions: dukedevilz
ADVERTISEMENT