ADVERTISEMENT

G League to offer 125K for elite

Half of the Rivals top 100 might be signed at some point.

Seems like a bad idea for 18 year olds to try to showcase themselves against grown ass men for a year. JMO, but I would still send my kid to college.
Maybe it is a bad idea. But what if you weren't a smart student?

Cocky kid, $100-125k vs sitting in a class?

Reactions: speedfrk
One and done is ending in a few years anyway.

That part doesn’t matter as much. Very, very few kids have the potential to get drafted straight out of high school.

If I had to guess, one and done ending will affect less than 5 kids per year - and probably half that most years.

Oh, I'm absolutely certain some kids will take that route. I just feel like you'd be more likely hurt your draft status (and negate the benefits of that $125k) by playing in the G-League.

As in over 50% of the Top 100 prospects? Yeah...I see a lot of guys going this route because that is a lotta chedda for an 18 year old who hasn't seen that amount of money before.

$100-125k vs sitting in a class?

Also gotta think about

- flying to games on a chartered jet vs riding a bus
- playing on national TV in prime time vs playing on YouTube
- endearing yourself to a fan base (and thereby advertisers) vs trying to attract brand recognition after you make an NBA roster.
- being provided great living amenities and private chefs vs being on your own

Go to college where you are the king of the campus while having private planes and first class everything or bus rides against grown men that don't care who you are. Real tough if I'm an elite 5* talent.

That part doesn’t matter as much. Very, very few kids have the potential to get drafted straight out of high school.

If I had to guess, one and done ending will affect less than 5 kids per year - and probably half that most years.
Yes, it definitely does. Imagine being 21 with no money vs 21 with 375k. Or, if the rule is that you only have to be 1 year removed from college, however if you go to college you have to play until junior year, then that's 2.2 million at least vs 0 in 3 years.

If 2.2 million doesn't matter, I want whatever money you're swimming in. I'm upset when I lose a $25 sweatshirt RollLaugh

Yes, it definitely does. Imagine being 21 with no money vs 21 with 375k. Or, if the rule is that you only have to be 1 year removed from college, however if you go to college you have to play until junior year, then that's 2.2 million at least vs 0 in 3 years.

If 2.2 million doesn't matter, I want whatever money you're swimming in. I'm upset when I lose a $25 sweatshirt RollLaugh

I have no idea where you got that math, or why you added the baseball rule of 3 years to it.

It’s a very fluid situation. But, please don’t think non-elite kids would get anywhere near $100K in the G League because they won’t. They’ll earn less money than a year of college is worth.

Reactions: KisteK
I think any kid who gets offered this would be stupid not to take it. Being a stud in college is fun, but getting $125k when you're a year out of high school is not something to brush aside lightly.

Reactions: Da_Bull

Your sweatshirts are only $25...step your game up

:D

How does 125k a year translate to 2.2 million dollars in 3 years? Just.... what?

Reactions: Wall2Boogie
How does 125k a year translate to 2.2 million dollars in 3 years? Just.... what?
I think what he's adding up is the 125K for year one, then they enter the NBA draft which leads to 2 million added up over the next 2 years and he's comparing it to a guy going to college for 3 years (under the assumption they make kids go to school for 3 years, like baseball).

It's hard to follow, because he's all over the place with assumptions and logic, but I'm pretty sure that's what he meant.

I think what he's adding up is the 125K for year one, then they enter the NBA draft which leads to 2 million added up over the next 2 years and he's comparing it to a guy going to college for 3 years (under the assumption they make kids go to school for 3 years, like baseball).

It's hard to follow, because he's all over the place with assumptions and logic, but I'm pretty sure that's what he meant.
I can see that. Thanks.

But yeah, there will not be a 3 year rule.

I don't even think there should be a two year rule.
Let the kids who want to try out for the NBA, try out.
Let them go through the draft..
If they aren't selected, they should be able to come back to school, providing there's still a scholly available. Otherwise, they're open to transfer.

Coaches will keep a spot open for important borderline talent vs a third or fourth hs recruit..
I'd think.

If you only have to be one year removed from high school, a player could make 1 mil a year in the NBA. In one situation if you get rid of the one and done you have to go to college for 3 years (baseball model)

Didnt somebody offer kids like 100k to sign with him to play something and a total of 0 people signed a few years ago?

As in over 50% of the Top 100 prospects? Yeah...I see a lot of guys going this route because that is a lotta chedda for an 18 year old who hasn't seen that amount of money before.

Appears to me they are adopting a similar model to European soccer. If the floodgates open, you could see clubs opening up pocket books to sign as much future NBA talent as possible. If only 1 of 5 prospects becomes a starter it could pay off.

I don't even think there should be a two year rule.
Let the kids who want to try out for the NBA, try out.
Let them go through the draft..
If they aren't selected, they should be able to come back to school, providing there's still a scholly available. Otherwise, they're open to transfer.

Coaches will keep a spot open for important borderline talent vs a third or fourth hs recruit..
I'd think.

Big Baller Brand is looking for good citizens to play in their league

If you're elite enough to attract brand recognition, 125k isn't all you would make that year. When a couple of these guys sign apparel deals and start making commercials for Carl's Jr, etc watch out.

That's what will push the NCAA's hand to allowing players to do the same. Then, forget the arguments about paying the players. The free market will decide what the kids are worth.

Reactions: GE Nole
If you're elite enough to attract brand recognition, 125k isn't all you would make that year. When a couple of these guys sign apparel deals and start making commercials for Carl's Jr, etc watch out.

That's what will push the NCAA's hand to allowing players to do the same. Then, forget the arguments about paying the players. The free market will decide what the kids are worth.

Bingo. It’s not the $125k. It’s the ability to profit from your likeness that’s the difference maker.

Reactions: UKBlitzkrieg
Go to college where you are the king of the campus while having private planes and first class everything or bus rides against grown men that don't care who you are. Real tough if I'm an elite 5* talent.

Don’t forget banging hot coeds on the regular

I doubt this will affect many. Guys can go this route now, it's just for $35k, not the $120k. So, it's a $90k difference. Not a big deal overall.
I understand some kids hate school, but playing against grown ass men, who are older and more physically mature is probably not the best idea for a Senior in HS to take on. If they are truly elite, stay in school, play for a Big Time Program, be on TV all the time, get your personal "brand" up, then make $$$.

After actually reading the article starting to think it will lack the teeth needed. Would be different if they were signing binding contract with a specific club. A year contract at 125k with no guarantee of NBA or even multiple years. That’s not good at all for player. Good option for a kid like Brian Bowen

I love this. The kids that have no interest in being students will go pro immediately, rather than spending one semester at Kentucky, North Carolina, Duke and Kansas, where they aren't expected to be students anyways.

The gap between these elite kids and the next tier is significant. The gap between the second tier and the third tier is much less significant. This has the potential to shrink the gap between the 4 or 5 schools who get all the elite kids (by crooked methods or legit methods)... I think this beneifts a school like Notre Dame, who usually recruits kids ranked between 60-150 and puts them on 4 and 5 year plans.

Bring it on. Anything that curtails 1-and-done kids going to 4 or 5 schools and holding a roster spot for 6 months to audition for the NBA, while never attending class, or doing the bare minimum to scrape by.

I guess this will put an end to the assumption these kids don't want to be in school.

If they have options and still goes to college for one year, they clearly want to be there.

I love this. The kids that have no interest in being students will go pro immediately, rather than spending one semester at Kentucky, North Carolina, Duke and Kansas, where they aren't expected to be students anyways.

100% chance you feel the same about the physics majors on your Fighting Irish football squad, right?

I think a few guys will go that route. It doesn’t bother me nor does it bother cal he’s all for it. Problem is, you build your brand by being seen on tv. How many gleague games has anyone here watched? I’m sure we could come up with maybe five between all of us. Sure they can get paid 125k, but if they wait one more yr, they will make ten times that much, plus there’s always the idea your weaknesses will be shown by participating in the gleague costing these guys millions. 125k to an 18 yr old not named kawhi Lenard, might as well be a buck twenty five. I’m just interested to see which dumbass wants to ask a school for money because he wants the stage and the cash

What is considered elite? Top 15-20? What If the 50th ranked player wants to enter the draft then what? Does the G-League tell him he isn't elite enough?

ADVERTISEMENT