ADVERTISEMENT

Future of the tournament

KUhawks34

Gold Member
Dec 29, 2006
I’ve believed for awhile now that the NCAA tourney as it exists now will not be what it is in the future.

what I think changes is there will be no NCAA governing body and the universities completely break away from the NCAA. The bigger schools create their own tourney with a similar number of teams or possibly even smaller. They still invite some smaller conference schools but maybe not as much OR they keep it at 64 (68) and just give less of the pie to the smaller schools

The universities leave a lot of money on the table by splitting with smaller schools and the NCAA for the basketball tourney.

I think NIL, TV money and other factors cause the schools to essentially break away and place more of an emphasis on 4 major conferences that keep most of the pie. They have less of an emphasis on academics and it’s essentially similar to pro sports but still college.

The 4 leagues will all be bigger than their current form but they don’t have to be equal in number.

I suspect each league (ACC, B1G, SEC and PAC) adds teams but they don’t all get to 20. For instance I don’t think the PAC adds 8 teams to get to 20.

Football is still king but basketball narrows the gap by creating their own tourney and keeping more of the money. Football is only 4-5 months of the year and the schools/networks want to make money all through January-April and double up in November/December.

how do you guys think this plays out? I don’t think the current structure or anything similar to it is the future. Thoughts?

The issue is the big east in basketball at least is a power level conference. They just don’t have D1a football besides uconn. I could see them get included for basketball

Reactions: Bert Higginbotha
The issue is the big east in basketball at least is a power level conference. They just don’t have D1a football besides uconn. I could see them get included for basketball
If you don't play football you are not power conference level.

The Big East was created for basketball from a lot of washed up schools. Sorry, but that is the truth. ESPN got them going. I could care less about most of them. If they are so great create a basketball only conference and let 50 people attend their games.

If you don't play football you are not power conference level.

The Big East was created for basketball from a lot of washed up schools. Sorry, but that is the truth. ESPN got them going. I could care less about most of them. If they are so great create a basketball only conference and let 50 people attend their games.
Villanova and uconn have won a combined 6 national titles since 1999. I mean if they aren’t power. Who is?

I’ve believed for awhile now that the NCAA tourney as it exists now will not be what it is in the future.

what I think changes is there will be no NCAA governing body and the universities completely break away from the NCAA. The bigger schools create their own tourney with a similar number of teams or possibly even smaller. They still invite some smaller conference schools but maybe not as much OR they keep it at 64 (68) and just give less of the pie to the smaller schools

The universities leave a lot of money on the table by splitting with smaller schools and the NCAA for the basketball tourney.

I think NIL, TV money and other factors cause the schools to essentially break away and place more of an emphasis on 4 major conferences that keep most of the pie. They have less of an emphasis on academics and it’s essentially similar to pro sports but still college.

The 4 leagues will all be bigger than their current form but they don’t have to be equal in number.

I suspect each league (ACC, B1G, SEC and PAC) adds teams but they don’t all get to 20. For instance I don’t think the PAC adds 8 teams to get to 20.

Football is still king but basketball narrows the gap by creating their own tourney and keeping more of the money. Football is only 4-5 months of the year and the schools/networks want to make money all through January-April and double up in November/December.

how do you guys think this plays out? I don’t think the current structure or anything similar to it is the future. Thoughts?
I don't see them doing that and they have steadily increased the pie instead of reducing it.

Football?

They profited from the NCAA's attempts to water down the requirements and make the NCAA for everyone. Sorry.
NCAA has added FOUR teams, in 37 years.....How in the hell is that watering it down?

SInce 1999...

UK has ONE title.
KU has TWO
UNC has THREE
Duke has THREE...

Uconn has FOUR. Villanova has TWO.

Who has benefited? And IF Nova and UConn have, as you say, then what the hell is UK and KU's problem? Surely the bluest of the blue could take advantage of that same watered down tourney---right?

Saying Nova isn't a power in basketball, b/c they don't play SEC, B10 level football is silly...

NCAA has added FOUR teams, in 37 years.....How in the hell is that watering it down?

SInce 1999...

UK has ONE title.
KU has TWO
UNC has THREE
Duke has THREE...

Who has benefited? And IF Nova and UConn have, as you say, then what the hell is UK and KU's problem? Surely the bluest of the blue could take advantage of that same watered down tourney---right?

Saying Nova isn't a power in basketball, b/c they don't play SEC, B10 level football is silly...
Go back 3 more years and UK has 3. Not sure why you chose '99 instead of '96.

Go back 3 more years and UK has 3. Not sure why you chose '99 instead of '96.
Villanova and uconn have won a combined 6 national titles since 1999. I mean if they aren’t power. Who is?
This is why....I could go back to 1996. UK still has less than UConn. And that is the entire point. To say Uconn/Villanova have benefited from a watered down NCAAT is ridiculous..Especially since neither team benefited from the "play-in " portion/addition.

SInce 1999...

UK has ONE title.
KU has TWO
UNC has THREE
Duke has THREE...

It is a fact that Division I is three times larger than it was.

You can play games with dates and teams, but that is a fact. I would like to go back to a real Division I setup.

Division I should field a football team or they are not Division I. (That is my opinion and I am sticking with it.)

Last edited:
It is a fact that Division I is three times larger than it was.

You can play games with dates and teams, but that is a fact. I would like to go back to a real Division I setup.

Division I should field a football team or they are not Division I. (That is my opinion and I am sticking with it.)
Field a football team as in...........? FBS? FCS?

Do you realize what it takes to maintain FBS status? Currently there are 10 FBS conferences---130 teams. So in your opinion, there should only be 130 D1 CBB teams?

Look at Villanova. The considered moving to FBS, joining the BE in 2009. To be an FBS member, you must average at least 15,000 fans per year, for at least 2 consecutive years. Their stadium holds 12, 500. After a study, it was shown that Villanova would lose $7 million each year, based on such study...Mainly due to the cost of building their facilities up, to meet FBS requirements. Not to metnion, having to at least, A) Offer 200 athletic scholarship across all sports, OR B) at least spend $4 million per year in athletic scholarships----I mean, for a UK, thats no problemo....For a school of Villanova's size? No.

Its not just a "snap" of the fingers to compete at the highest level in CFB, Bert. Not all schools can afford to do so. Being an FBS member is expensive as ****, and requires a lot of criteria that school like a Villanova just simply cannot meet...

Field a football team as in...........? FBS? FCS?

Do you realize what it takes to maintain FBS status? Currently there are 10 FBS conferences---130 teams. So in your opinion, there should only be 130 D1 CBB teams?

Look at Villanova. The considered moving to FBS, joining the BE in 2009. To be an FBS member, you must average at least 15,000 fans per year, for at least 2 consecutive years. Their stadium holds 12, 500. After a study, it was shown that Villanova would lose $7 million each year, based on such study...Mainly due to the cost of building their facilities up, to meet FBS requirements. Not to metnion, having to at least, A) Offer 200 athletic scholarship across all sports, OR B) at least spend $4 million per year in athletic scholarships----I mean, for a UK, thats no problemo....For a school of Villanova's size? No.

Its not just a "snap" of the fingers to compete at the highest level in CFB, Bert. Not all schools can afford to do so. Being an FBS member is expensive as ****, and requires a lot of criteria that school like a Villanova just simply cannot meet...
I don't understand your love for a bunch of schools that do not deserve Division I status.

I could care less that Villanova should not be Division I. If you can't run with the horses then stay out of the damned race.

I stick with my original statement: if you can't play football you are not Division I.

I just googled Villanova Tuition: For the academic year 2021-2022, the undergraduate tuition & fees at Villanova University is $59,020. The undergraduate estimated tuition & fees for academic year 2022-2023 is $60,622.

Now we know where they can get the money.

I don't understand your love for a bunch of schools that do not deserve Division I status.

I could care less that Villanova should not be Division I. If you can't run with the horses then stay out of the damned race.

I stick with my original statement: if you can't play football you are not Division I.

I just googled Villanova Tuition: For the academic year 2021-2022, the undergraduate tuition & fees at Villanova University is $59,020. The undergraduate estimated tuition & fees for academic year 2022-2023 is $60,622.

Now we know where they can get the money.
This is skewed. Villanova takes zero government money while a public school like Kentucky takes tons of public money. That is why Villanova tuition is higher

Reactions: englandnu
This is skewed. Villanova takes zero government money while a public school like Kentucky takes tons of public money. That is why Villanova tuition is higher
Okay so you just continue having your two division I schools subsidize the poor private schools and let them participate in college basketball when they don't participate in football as they choose not to spend the required money to be full members.

I don't like it. I will never like it.

I want the big conferences to drop the NCAA and create their own governing board and keep the money where it is earned.

Then schools like Villanova and Georgetown will not enjoy the club that they do no belong in to start with.

Okay so you just continue having your two division I schools subsidize the poor private schools and let them participate in college basketball when they don't participate in football as they choose not to spend the required money to be full members.

I don't like it. I will never like it.

I want the big conferences to drop the NCAA and create their own governing board and keep the money where it is earned.

Then schools like Villanova and Georgetown will not enjoy the club that they do no belong in to start with.
I think there will be a break away eventually

You take the smaller schools out no one will give a ****. It’s just watered down pro sports. College football will be there soon. Basketball will die quicker if you take the St. Peter’s out of the mix. From a talent standpoint both CFB and CBB suck.

You take the smaller schools out no one will give a ****. It’s just watered down pro sports. College football will be there soon. Basketball will die quicker if you take the St. Peter’s out of the mix. From a talent standpoint both CFB and CBB suck.
I totally disagree. College football and basketball got popular with 100 big schools.

We don't need St. Peter's of the world. They have no following and do not bring in viewers at all.

• Haha
When you, as a fan, are thinking with the mindset of a TV executive or conference commissioner … well, don’t expect the rest of us who love March Madness to agree with you.

Take the little guys out and there is no madness in March. Lose the madness and the money follows. 99% of the viewers pray for the upset. The people who post here in no way represent most viewers.

Take the little guys out and there is no madness in March. Lose the madness and the money follows. 99% of the viewers pray for the upset. The people who post here in no way represent most viewers.
March madness became that long before it was expanded much past 100 teams.

Of course that was before UL became a state supported school.

Edit: I went to Louisville when it was not a State school. Sometimes being old gives one some perspective. I remember when the NCAA was like 105 schools. It was better then.

Last edited:
"99%" of praying viewers rooting for the St Peter's each cycle ..
- aren't threatened by St. Peter's cbb history
or
- love that St Peter's represents an easier path for their program in the tourney
or
- are betting on upsets
or
- are simply haters of other (better) programs

99% of viewers rooting for St Peter's don't give any schidtt's about the St. Peter's...s.

Last edited:
"99%" of praying viewers rooting for the St Peter's each cycle ..
- aren't threatened by St. Peter's cbb history
or
- love that St Peter's represents an easier path for their program in the tourney
or
- are betting on upsets
or
- are simply haters of other (better) programs

99% of viewers rooting for St Peter's don't give any schidtt's about the St. Peter's...s.

uhm, you forgot the most obvious one…

-loves rooting for the underdog

that factor outnumbers all the other nonsense you wrote put together.

uhm, you forgot the most obvious one…

-loves rooting for the underdog

that factor outnumbers all the other nonsense you wrote put together.
Rooting for the underdog
Mountainous Divide
Hating on the better program

Last edited:
March madness became that long before it was expanded much past 100 teams.

Of course that was before UL became a state supported school.

Edit: I went to Louisville when it was not a State school. Sometimes being old gives one some perspective. I remember when the NCAA was like 105 schools. It was better then.
A little school participated in the most watched game of basketball ever. Is Indiana State a small school? You can thank Larry and his teammates for making UK tons of money - they are due a check anytime now. 😂

There’s nothing more anti-climatic than a couple of blue bloods in the Natty. Boring. And not an ounce of jealousy towards any fan of a bb…none of you scored a single point. You probably cheer really good though. 😂

Reactions: WeAreDePaul
A little school participated in the most watched game of basketball ever. Is Indiana State a small school? You can thank Larry and his teammates for making UK tons of money - they are due a check anytime now. 😂

There’s nothing more anti-climatic than a couple of blue bloods in the Natty. Boring. And not an ounce of jealousy towards any fan of a bb…none of you scored a single point. You probably cheer really good though. 😂
Yep 9,000 folks is a small school. Geeze dude get a life.

Plus I used to play golf with Larry Bird, I know the dude. Larry is a really good guy.
You are questionable. :)

Indiana State never made Kentucky one damned dime.

Plus I went to Louisville before it was a State school.

Yep 9,000 folks is a small school. Geeze dude get a life.

Plus I used to play golf with Larry Bird, I know the dude. Larry is a really good guy.
You are questionable. :)

Indiana State never made Kentucky one damned dime.

Plus I went to Louisville before it was a State school.
I’m sure Larry feels the same about you. There’s gotta be a reason your going to UL before it was a state school holds deep meaning here. For the life of me I can figure out what the **** that might be.

Bert once dreamed of the extinction of the door to door salesman, so he was gonna use transition radios. Unfortunately (and ironically) bc of uk basketball, the transistor radio scene in lex at the time was absolutely bannanas and bert was always under the shadow of the late great dr. Mike Oxmall.

A young, jilted bert, then turned his eyes towards the city of louisville, and it was more than his innocnet soul could handle. Rough parts, the ole campus before state money 👻

Fun fact..............

eminem-your-opinion-is-wrong.gif

ADVERTISEMENT