ADVERTISEMENT

FSU at Duke

As bad as the defense has been, as well as decision making...I’m just supremely confident in this team. There will be losses of course, but I feel great about them.

The refs will always be to blame on some level after any close game. It has become the norm for fans, players, coaches, and media alike to play that angle.

Haven’t seen anyone blame the refs after this game, but suit yourself.

Reactions: speedfrk
Haven’t seen anyone blame the refs after this game, but suit yourself.
No You didn't out and out blame them but you made darn sure to mention about Dukes players with foul trouble not leading to any foul outs. Sure seemed like a subtle shot at the refs to me. I stand by what I said, not everyone does it but it is far more normal than not. Read a game thread around here involving any fan base and it is obvious.

Reactions: Quavarius
It was a good game. Especially for someone who was not a fan of either team. Seems like I've said that about a lot of Duke games. Duke really needs to figure out how to stop other teams from turning games into shootouts. As fun as they are for other people, they stress me out.

@denniden , you should read the comments at the end of this article. They are glorious. One dude says that Bagley was guilty of over the back fouls on every one of his rebounds.
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/recap?gameId=400986171

Reactions: denniden
It was a good game. Especially for someone who was not a fan of either team. Seems like I've said that about a lot of Duke games. Duke really needs to figure out how to stop other teams from turning games into shootouts. As fun as they are for other people, they stress me out.

@denniden , you should read the comments at the end of this article. They are glorious. One dude says that Bagley was guilty of over the back fouls on every one of his rebounds.

Bagley and Carter went over the back on quite a few. But that's something that could be called a lot more tbh. Most of Bagley's rebounds are just he has a 97 inch vertical on a 6'11 frame so he gets higher though.

Lol, ESPN comment sections were always fun to read. I don’t read them much any more but it used to be good for a laugh.

Bagley and Carter went over the back on quite a few. But that's something that could be called a lot more tbh. Most of Bagley's rebounds are just he has a 97 inch vertical on a 6'11 frame so he gets higher though.
Over the back could be called more for sure. I will say Bagley goes after rebounds with a purpose. Rebounding has a lot to do with effort. Which he has a lot of. Carter as well.

Over the back could be called more for sure. I will say Bagley goes after rebounds with a purpose. Rebounding has a lot to do with effort. Which he has a lot of. Carter as well.

Agreed. Love watching Bagley out there. He plays his ass off. Add in his talent and you have a special special player. Kind of crazy there are 3/4 of those this year. Would be another if Porter was healthy.

No You didn't out and out blame them but you made darn sure to mention about Dukes players with foul trouble not leading to any foul outs. Sure seemed like a subtle shot at the refs to me. I stand by what I said, not everyone does it but it is far more normal than not. Read a game thread around here involving any fan base and it is obvious.

I said it was pretty crazy that 3 freshmen played the final 7 minutes with 4 fouls. That is pretty crazy. Normally, freshmen do stupid stuff and either foul out or play so tentatively that the other team wins. Neither happened. That’s impressive for those freshmen. Tip of the cap.

But I guess I shouldn’t be surprised that a Duke fan twists a comment around and gets all defensive about it. Par for the course. Always us against the world with 90% of your fan base.

I thought the game was called pretty evenly badly. It amazes me what ACC officials will let go sometimes and then what they decide to call. Duval got hit with some pretty ticky tack stuff early on that had him sitting a huge portion of the game. Angola and Coffer having the games of their lives kept this one close.

I said it was pretty crazy that 3 freshmen played the final 7 minutes with 4 fouls. That is pretty crazy. Normally, freshmen do stupid stuff and either foul out or play so tentatively that the other team wins. Neither happened. That’s impressive for those freshmen. Tip of the cap.

But I guess I shouldn’t be surprised that a Duke fan twists a comment around and gets all defensive about it. Par for the course. Always us against the world with 90% of your fan base.

Given how much bitching people do about refs and Duke and Coach K, I think most people took your comment more as a "The refs protected the Duke guys!" shot than a legit "Nice job by the freshmen," especially since you never actually said "Nice job by the freshmen," which most people would say if that was the point they were trying to make.

Pretty crazy that Duke had 3 guys combine for 12 fouls in the first 33 minutes and none of them get a 5th over the last 7. But such is life.

I will give you the benefit of the doubt because you haven't come across as a whiner before. But the "such is life" is kind of a contradiction to your further explanation of what you were trying to say.

As for your last comment, read any Duke game thread and you will see why Duke fans get defensive when someone brings up officiating. It's not about twisting your comment around. It may have been a misunderstanding of what you were trying to say. But in this case, you were never clear in what you were trying to say, so don't be upset if someone took it the wrong way.

Reactions: tw3301
I will give you the benefit of the doubt because you haven't come across as a whiner before. But the "such is life" is kind of a contradiction to your further explanation of what you were trying to say.

As for your last comment, read any Duke game thread and you will see why Duke fans get defensive when someone brings up officiating. It's not about twisting your comment around. It may have been a misunderstanding of what you were trying to say. But in this case, you were never clear in what you were trying to say, so don't be upset if someone took it the wrong way.

How is “such is life” in any way contradicting my other statement? Especially when I double down and explicitly state that defensive rebounding is WHY fsu lost the game?

Such as life, as in sometimes things don’t work out the way you hope/expect and there’s nothing you can do about it.

Lord the Duke fan base has issues. Y’all have like 5 national titles in the last 30 years. Why do y’all insist on acting like you have little brother syndrome? It’s so un-blueblood like.

Given how much bitching people do about refs and Duke and Coach K, I think most people took your comment more as a "The refs protected the Duke guys!" shot than a legit "Nice job by the freshmen," especially since you never actually said "Nice job by the freshmen," which most people would say if that was the point they were trying to make.

See the post just above ^^^^^

How is “such is life” in any way contradicting my other statement? Especially when I double down and explicitly state that defensive rebounding is WHY fsu lost the game?

Such as life, as in sometimes things don’t work out the way you hope/expect and there’s nothing you can do about it.

Lord the Duke fan base has issues. Y’all have like 5 national titles in the last 30 years. Why do y’all insist on acting like you have little brother syndrome? It’s so un-blueblood like.
I never accused you of blaming the refs for the loss. You claim that you meant your comment to be a compliment. The such is life seems more like a complaint. It's not that big of a deal, I think you are being a little sensitive to the reaction. Keep throwing out unwarranted insults to the Duke fan base though. It really helps your claim of being complimentary as opposed to complaining.

Lol... If I misinterpreted what you were trying to say (I didn't) then my bad but this whole "fan base has issues" thing is just you being rustled. You're a good poster, but you dropped that line on purpose and not to congratulate Duke players for playing without fouling.

fair enough. Sorry to misinterpret. FSU fans have complained about the refs, win or lose, after every Duke game as far back as I can remember. I also eluded to the fact the There is not one game where fans don’t complain about the refs and or use it as an excuse. As I understand now, you didn’t do that.

I don’t care about the us against the world mentality. Not my thing. Though I can see where it comes from in Duke fans. In the college hoops realm, it’s basically true. There is a very small portion of fans than don’t have a strong opinion one way or the other towards Duke. Most being Duke detractors. Which is great imo, means Duke is successful.

Good game yesterday. Like all FSU/Duke games are.

Reactions: GE Nole
Reading a espn article, then comments, regarding that game, has anyone ever seen a foul on a player be reversed? Is that what happened?

Oh stop. Not one Duke fan has "little brother" issues, whatever the hell that even means... who would we even be a little brother to? If anything, the Duke fan base is a bit TOO egotistical. That's such an empty shot.

You made a comment which many people took to mean one thing, the same thing lots of losers complain about; refs would never let the Duke guys foul out. When called on it, you said you were trying to compliment the Duke guys for playing smart or something, and then took shot after shot because people didn't get that right away. But the issue is with the Duke fans?

Yeah. No.

Lol... If I misinterpreted what you were trying to say (I didn't) then my bad but this whole "fan base has issues" thing is just you being rustled. You're a good poster, but you dropped that line on purpose and not to congratulate Duke players for playing without fouling.
I read it the same way. Think if he would of just stated, Duke players did a great job not fouling the last 10 minutes, all this would of been avoided.

Reactions: TheDude1
Oh stop. Not one Duke fan has "little brother" issues, whatever the hell that even means... who would we even be a little brother to? If anything, the Duke fan base is a bit TOO egotistical. That's such an empty shot.

You made a comment which many people took to mean one thing, the same thing lots of losers complain about; refs would never let the Duke guys foul out. When called on it, you said you were trying to compliment the Duke guys for playing smart or something, and then took shot after shot because people didn't get that right away. But the issue is with the Duke fans?

Yeah. No.

You just said my exact point. Duke fans don’t need to be so thin skinned. Y’all are the best program in the country over the last 30 years.

I read it the same way. Think if he would of just stated, Duke players did a great job not fouling the last 10 minutes, all this would of been avoided.

My bad. I guess when I said “nice game Duke,” “offensive rebounding was the difference,” and “14-0 run was classic Duke” I assumed that people on a basketball board would be able to understand that I was giving compliments. Especially when the world “ref” was never used in the entire post.

My bad. I guess when I said “nice game Duke,” “offensive rebounding was the difference,” and “14-0 run was classic Duke” I assumed that people on a basketball board would be able to understand that I was giving compliments. Especially when the world “ref” was never used in the entire post.
I like how you put offensive rebounding in quotes like they weren’t legitimate rebounds

Reactions: UNC71-00 and tw3301
You have to realize that Duke fans have to hear about foul calls every game. Fans of teams with no dog in the fight will jump into a game thread just to point out a bad call that went Duke's way. It's not thin skinned, no one really attacked you or anything I just felt the comment was unnecessary and the foul calls were pretty fair for both teams. FSU played great and that Angaro guy was on fire, made for an entertaining game. Good luck to you guys the rest of the way, hoping you shoot the lights out against UNC this week. Tough opening stretch for you guys in ACC play.

You have to realize that Duke fans have to hear about foul calls every game. Fans of teams with no dog in the fight will jump into a game thread just to point out a bad call that went Duke's way.

Look no further than earlier in this very thread.

You just said my exact point. Duke fans don’t need to be so thin skinned. Y’all are the best program in the country over the last 30 years.
This conversation has gone further than it ever needed to. You say we have thin skin, I just don't see it. But either way, it was a good game, FSU looked good and good luck this week and the rest of the year.

I like how you put offensive rebounding in quotes like they weren’t legitimate rebounds

Wtf? I was quoting my own post from the previous page. You know, the one where I credited Duke’s offensive rebounding as the difference in the game.

Some of y’all must not have paid attention in English classes at Duke.

Wtf? I was quoting my own post from the previous page. You know, the one where I credited Duke’s offensive rebounding as the difference in the game.

Dude. You are freaking out for no reason. He liked your post, I feel like that was an obvious indicator that he was joking around with you.

And Duke fans have thin skin....... Christ.

You have to realize that Duke fans have to hear about foul calls every game. Fans of teams with no dog in the fight will jump into a game thread just to point out a bad call that went Duke's way. It's not thin skinned, no one really attacked you or anything I just felt the comment was unnecessary and the foul calls were pretty fair for both teams. FSU played great and that Angaro guy was on fire, made for an entertaining game. Good luck to you guys the rest of the way, hoping you shoot the lights out against UNC this week. Tough opening stretch for you guys in ACC play.

Angola? Not really on fire. He’s a 42% shooter from three this year and shot 42% from 3 last season. He was 5-12 in the game, so basically right about average.

If we shoot our average on Wednesday we should win. Just hoping we don’t let y’all beat us twice. And yes, it’s a tough stretch. Then again, it’s the ACC—not many easy stretches, especially when you aren’t one of the top 2-3 teams.

You dont really think any of these guys attended Duke, do you? Winking

I’m a little disheartened, I thought you knew me better than this.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT