ADVERTISEMENT

Freshman AA teams

WeAreDePaul

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2017
really only doing this cause I want to see where Aidan Mahaney ends up on the list. Who are the freshman All americans this year? 1st, 2nd and 3rd team.

Obviously Brandon Miller tops the list. here's my stab at it....

1st team AA:
Brandon Miller/ Bama
Filipowski/ Duke
Grady Dick/ Kansas
Cason Wallace/ Kentucky
Aidan Mahaney/ St Marys

2nd Team:
Anthony Black/ Arkansas
GG Jackson/ S Carolina
Keyonte George/ Baylor
Sensebaugh/ Ohio State
Taylor Hendricks/ UCF

3rd Team:
Jet Howard/ Michigan
Jarace Walker/ Houston
Donovan Clingen. UCONN
Braden Smith/ Purdue
Noah Clowney/ Bama

This does look like a thread I would create lol.

Though, I would say there's no way I'm leaving Keyonte George or Brice Sensabaugh off of the 1st Team.
have you seen Maheney? Who you taking of these 3?

Player A: 17.5ppg/ 4.5 rpg/ 3.1apg/ 34.7 fg3%/ 48.1 efg%/ 19.9 PER/ 2.8 WS (team ranked #14)

Player B: 15 ppg/ 2.3rpg/ 1.8apg/ 41.6 fg3% / 54.8 efg%/ 19.2 PER/ 3.7 WS (team ranked #15)

Player C: 17.3ppg/ 5.6 rpg/ 1.0 apg/ 46.6 fg3%/ 58.4 efg%/ 29.4 PER/ 3.4 WS (tean unranked and receiving no votes)

alright, obviously player C is the guy. That's Sensebaugh. Unless you think team record matters which I do.

But, between A and B I'm inclined to reward the more efficient player who's also doing it as the primary offensive player on his team. B is Mahaney.

Either way I think this shows that having Mahaney on 1st team isn't that far fetched.

I should've added Wallace to this as well to see how he stacks up

Player A: 17.5ppg/ 4.5 rpg/ 3.1apg/ 34.7 fg3%/ 48.1 efg%/ 19.9 PER/ 2.8 WS (team ranked #14)

Player B: 15 ppg/ 2.3rpg/ 1.8apg/ 41.6 fg3% / 54.8 efg%/ 19.2 PER/ 3.7 WS (team ranked #15)

Player C: 17.3ppg/ 5.6 rpg/ 1.0 apg/ 46.6 fg3%/ 58.4 efg%/ 29.4 PER/ 3.4 WS (tean unranked and receiving no votes)

alright, obviously player C is the guy. That's Sensebaugh. Unless you think team record matters which I do.

But, between A and B I'm inclined to reward the more efficient player who's also doing it as the primary offensive player on his team. B is Mahaney.

Either way I think this shows that having Mahaney on 1st team isn't that far fetched.

In that case, I'd give Maheney the nod over Cason Wallace.

I'm okay with Mahaney being on 1st Team. I've been watching him a lot more recently (watched his last 3 games). I believe Logan Johnson typically controls the ball, and Mahaney plays off of him. Though, in the closing stages of the Gonzaga game Mahaney took complete control of the team and the ball. He played like an All-American in the last 10 minutes of the game. Would like to see him run the point more; his ceiling as a facilitator is much higher than Johnson's, IMO. Mahaney scoring 15 ppg in SMC's offense is really impressive (same tempo as UVA); he's more like a 18-20 ppg on a team with a regular tempo. While very efficient, I'd probably put him on 2nd team because he's not logging numbers outside of scoring.

The only 3 freshmen that I'd be locked in on 1st Team would be Miller, Sensabaugh, and George. Those 3 are easy picks. Dick is also semi-comfortably on 1st Team. So, the remaining spot would be between Jarace Walker, Filipowski, Wallace, and Mahaney. I gave Walker the nod because he brings a lot of versatility to the table. He's agile, he can rebound, defend, shoot from the perimeter - or take you inside. He's the 2nd best player on the best team in the country.

Our rankings are pretty similar, but here are my 3 teams and a few Honorable Mentions.

1st Team
Brandon Miller, Alabama
Brice Sensabaugh, Ohio State
Keyonte George, Baylor
Gradey Dick, Kansas
Jarace Walker, Houston

2nd Team
Kyle Filipowski, Duke
Aidan Mahaney, Saint Mary's
Cason Wallace, Kentucky
Anthony Black, Arkansas
Judah Mintz, Syracuse