ADVERTISEMENT

Four games into the season tell us something of your team

della

Gold Member
Dec 11, 2001
Team
Tennessee
One game under your belt what can you tell us?

Tennessee- Looks like the Vols will sling up a bunch of 3 pt attempts.
Chandler is really good (PG)
Defense still needs some work

Whatcha got?

Kansas will not struggle to score this year like they did last year. Having guards that can get their own shot makes a huge difference.
I do think their defense is worse though.

Reactions: KisteK
Texas Tech has scorers this year. We have more work to do on defense to get to our own standards, but that will come.

Keep an eye in Bryson Williams. Dude may have a monster year.

Oregon is still trying to figure out how to play with each other. The talent is there but there are a lot of new guys via the transfer portal. Offense wasn't clicking against Texas Southern, not at the level they need it to. Oregon has SMU and BYU coming up over the next few days. Those are going to be good tests for Oregon early in the season.

Oregon is still trying to figure out how to play with each other. The talent is there but there are a lot of new guys via the transfer portal. Offense wasn't clicking against Texas Southern, not at the level they need it to. Oregon has SMU and BYU coming up over the next few days. Those are going to be good tests for Oregon early in the season.

Same with MD, with six new incoming transfers this season.

Another note- Q is a beast at center for MD!!

UVA may truly have a down year for real this year. The backcourt of Clark and Beekman is laughably bad offensively. Navy went into a zone and was essentially laughing at us while we passed up open 3s. The transfers in and out are not helping a program that relies on continuity, especially on the defensive side of the ball.

If UVA finishes top 4 of the ACC again, I think that speaks volumes about the quality of the ACC. I think we can still be good enough defensively to squeak out enough wins to make the NCAA tourney though. Fortunately, it should only be a 1 year down year with an excellent recruiting class coming in.

Kentucky will beat a lot of teams shooting the basketball this year. But any team with decent size and skill down low will give us fits. Duke will be better than most down low, but it was concerning to see them so much better in the paint.

Oscar was 17 pts 19 rebs. What more do you want from down low and against 2 very quality big men. They're not getting him the ball lol. At the 4, it will get better but probably the only weak link on the floor for the Cats at this time. 37% shooting is what killed us. That is not going to be the norm for this team. We got 5 guys on the floor who haven't played with each other. It'll take a little time and we have some talent on the bench who has to figure it out. I actually think we have more upside than Duke.

I started watching UK in 1966 and I'm telling you this team is going to be good!

UVA may truly have a down year for real this year. The backcourt of Clark and Beekman is laughably bad offensively. Navy went into a zone and was essentially laughing at us while we passed up open 3s. The transfers in and out are not helping a program that relies on continuity, especially on the defensive side of the ball.

If UVA finishes top 4 of the ACC again, I think that speaks volumes about the quality of the ACC. I think we can still be good enough defensively to squeak out enough wins to make the NCAA tourney though. Fortunately, it should only be a 1 year down year with an excellent recruiting class coming in.

What happened in the last 1-2 years for Tony to get caught with a roster like this? Were the departures unexpected?

Oscar was 17 pts 19 rebs. What more do you want from down low and against 2 very quality big men. They're not getting him the ball lol. At the 4, it will get better but probably the only weak link on the floor for the Cats at this time. 37% shooting is what killed us. That is not going to be the norm for this team. We got 5 guys on the floor who haven't played with each other. It'll take a little time and we have some talent on the bench who has to figure it out. I actually think we have more upside than Duke.

I started watching UK in 1966 and I'm telling you this team is going to be good!
How many times did they throw him the ball and he scored on a post move? His points are putbacks and running the floor. Not quite the same as a back to the basket post player that can get you a bucket.

What happened in the last 1-2 years for Tony to get caught with a roster like this? Were the departures unexpected?

Recruiting misses have caught up to us some but the departures were relatively unexpected as well. Justin McKoy was expected to be a starter this year and Jabri Abdur-Rahim was a big time recruit out of high school. Both left and seem to have similar or diminished roles at their new schools so far. Casey Morsell was somewhat expected to leave since he had just been absolutely dreadful on offense here. He probably needed a more open offense to thrive because his confidence in the half-court here was shot.

I also think some of the transfers in had a negative impact of the guys who transferred out since they did not get to develop as much. Add in the ability to transfer without sitting out and we had more departures than we usually have. Clark and Beekman at the 1-2 is a disaster though. Beekman needs to play the 1 but Clark is no Kyle Guy out there LOL.

Recruiting misses have caught up to us some but the departures were relatively unexpected as well. Justin McKoy was expected to be a starter this year and Jabri Abdur-Rahim was a big time recruit out of high school. Both left and seem to have similar or diminished roles at their new schools so far. Casey Morsell was somewhat expected to leave since he had just been absolutely dreadful on offense here. He probably needed a more open offense to thrive because his confidence in the half-court here was shot.

I also think some of the transfers in had a negative impact of the guys who transferred out since they did not get to develop as much. Add in the ability to transfer without sitting out and we had more departures than we usually have. Clark and Beekman at the 1-2 is a disaster though. Beekman needs to play the 1 but Clark is no Kyle Guy out there LOL.

Clark’s size just makes him so limiting. He can really only play the 1, but then he’s not an elite threat from 3. So if he’s not surrounded by shooters and strong defenders, what’s his role?

How many times did they throw him the ball and he scored on a post move? His points are putbacks and running the floor. Not quite the same as a back to the basket post player that can get you a bucket.
This....

No clue....Had a game, so I missed the opener. Off tonight, so I'll be tuning in.

Nova: Not as much NBA talent as the 2018 Juggernaut but #enough and #balanced and #veteran- comparable to the 2016 one where Bridges was still a newb that wouldnt have been lottery pick. Good to great FT shooting team, as per usual for the Wildin' Cat. Knock on wood or slap the floor like a Dukie boi, shouldbe a team built 4 tournament.

1) Terps cant shoot (as usual)
2) freshman nick named Juju and now fans are calling him Juju. Puts me on tilt

Vols overwhelm undermanned ESTU. Kinda jealous of teams that have faced stronger challenges. Defense looked to be in better position, though.

Reactions: cdbearde
Offense is nice. Ton of guys who can score and they should have probably three consistent guys and others stepping up different nights.

Defense is beyond awful right now. Rebounding sucks as well to some degree, at least relative to how it was under Roy.

Reactions: FaithPlusOne
That's the methodology Cal has used for all our centers. However he's encouraging Oscar to shoot. Keep an eye on Collins...

again Oscar was 17 pts 19 rebs you are bitching about nothing

ADVERTISEMENT