ADVERTISEMENT

For those who care how FSU looked…

GE Nole

Sep 12, 2005
Fans of ACC schools, Purdue, maybe others, idk? Figured I’d give a brief report since we weren’t on major tv network.

Favored by 19, won 105-70. Tanor Ngom was out with a concussion so we went small (by Fsu standards) and started Osborne at the 5. It worked. 13 guys scored and a 14th guy had 3 assists

We didn’t shoot all that well but Penn was simply overwhelmed by our length and quickness. We forced turnovers on over 35% of their possessions, most of which were live ball variety which turned the game into a dunk line. FSU scored 40 points in an 11:18 stretch between the 7 minute mark of first half and 15:50 mark of second to blow the game wide open.

Caleb Mills is lethal off the bounce and when attacking the rim.

Malik Osborne had 18 and 13 (7 offensive) in just 22 minutes.

But the real surprise was Cam’ron Fletcher. Not sure what happened with Coach Cal, but this kid was flat out getting after it. He was a terror on D, grabbing 5 steals and deflecting several more. And he was unselfish and effective on O. He looks to be able to give us a lot more than I was expecting.

For Penn, Jordan Dingle can ball. That dude is legit. 5-8 from three, many of them deep and contested. He had 4 turnovers, but that’s just gonna happen against FSU.

I consider myself an honorary Florida State basketball fan. I just like teams that have unique styles and are successful with it. Seeing Hamilton roll out a super long team where everyone plays so unselfishly is just such a fun watch. Florida game should be a good one.

Cam fletcher the next Johnny Juzang?

Ha, maybe. He’s not a great shooter at this point, or even above average. Stan Jones will help him there though.

But dang his instincts, his length, and his lateral quickness are mighty impressive. He’s massively dangerous in transition and has shown a capability to bang in a corner three here and there. But really it’s his D. In our switch everything system, he’s quite the weapon.

Reactions: johnlwil
Dont go braggin in the gambling thread lmao, those guys.

I love playing fsu just bc yalls style is so much fun to watch, even when we lose.

Easily one of the best wing quartets in the country. Mills, Polite, Cleveland, Fletcher. FSU is gonna be tough again this year.

Reactions: johnlwil
Easily one of the best wing quartets in the country. Mills, Polite, Cleveland, Fletcher. FSU is gonna be tough again this year.

Rinse and repeat. Hamilton definitely built a culture there.

I’d like Hamilton to have a good tournament run before he hangs it up. I think he’s a much better coach than his NCAA tournament resume’ would suggest.

I’d like Hamilton to have a good tournament run before he hangs it up. I think he’s a much better coach than his NCAA tournament resume’ would suggest.

Yup. You figure he might have five years left? Would be cool to see him reach a Final Four before he retires. Definitely one of the best coaches in the game today.

Florida State, Florida score prediction ?

First true road games are always weird. Never quite know how freshmen will react. But I have a hard time seeing UF being able to consistently score in the half court against us, unless Castleton goes beast mode on the offensive glass.

Myreon Jones is a nice new weapon for UF, gives Mike White a perimeter shooting weapon he’s lacked for a few years. And we have a tendency over the years to lose shooters here and there as we aggressively play passing lanes. So I bet he goes for 16 or 19 points. But where does the rest of the scoring come from?

If FSU is hitting from three (like 40% or better), then it would surprise me if UF got run out the gym. But if it’s more of a 4-16 kind of night from 3 for the Noles, I’d see it closer, like 79-74 Noles.

Obviously he hasn't been an ELITE tournament coach. We'd all want Final Four runs. But I do think there's a little bit of a misconception about his success in March, at least since he's been at FSU. Bart Torvik runs the data on NCAAT performance compared to seed expectation and also compared to KenPom expectations. And over the last decade of NCAATs, Hamilton/FSU is 16th best against seed expectation and 14th best against KenPom expectation (and those ranks include non-active coaches).

Here's the top 12 ACTIVE coaches in NCAAT performance against seed expectations since 2011:

1. John Calipari, an aggregate +11.7 wins over seed expectation
2. Dana Altman +6.2
3. Jim Boeheim +5.8
4. Chris Beard +4.7
5. Porter Moser +4.7
6. Rick Pitino +4.2
7. Mark Few +3.8
8. Jim Calhoun +3.6
9. Andy Enfield +3.5
10. Frank Martin +3.3
11. Leonard Hamilton + 3.1
12. Scott Drew +2.3

Sooo...Leonard is certainly holding his own over the last decade. And you do it compared to KenPom rank expectations, Hamilton jumps to 9th, ahead of Enfield and Pitino.

As an aside, wow Calipari has been incredible in that time frame.

Yup. You figure he might have five years left? Would be cool to see him reach a Final Four before he retires. Definitely one of the best coaches in the game today.

5 years sounds about right. Unfortunately, I think his best chance ever at a Final Four was when the Dance was canceled. Would be interesting how he and the program would be considered if Trent Forrest and Devin Vassell led a deep run in 2020.

Reactions: dukedevilz
Obviously he hasn't been an ELITE tournament coach. We'd all want Final Four runs. But I do think there's a little bit of a misconception about his success in March, at least since he's been at FSU. Bart Torvik runs the data on NCAAT performance compared to seed expectation and also compared to KenPom expectations. And over the last decade of NCAATs, Hamilton/FSU is 16th best against seed expectation and 14th best against KenPom expectation (and those ranks include non-active coaches).

Here's the top 12 ACTIVE coaches in NCAAT performance against seed expectations since 2011:

1. John Calipari, an aggregate +11.7 wins over seed expectation
2. Dana Altman +6.2
3. Jim Boeheim +5.8
4. Chris Beard +4.7
5. Porter Moser +4.7
6. Rick Pitino +4.2
7. Mark Few +3.8
8. Jim Calhoun +3.6
9. Andy Enfield +3.5
10. Frank Martin +3.3
11. Leonard Hamilton + 3.1
12. Scott Drew +2.3

Sooo...Leonard is certainly holding his own over the last decade. And you do it compared to KenPom rank expectations, Hamilton jumps to 9th, ahead of Enfield and Pitino.

As an aside, wow Calipari has been incredible in that time frame.

5 years sounds about right. Unfortunately, I think his best chance ever at a Final Four was when the Dance was canceled. Would be interesting how he and the program would be considered if Trent Forrest and Devin Vassell led a deep run in 2020.
Kansas , Zags, Baylor , Dayton , FSu, MD all what if’s for the 2020 season sadly ... you guys were beasts..

Reactions: GE Nole
The 2020 season was a blast. Such a shame it came to such an abrupt end. I would have picked KU, Dayton, FSU, and one random team in my FF. Maybe Oregon for the last spot. Pritchard was so unbelievably clutch that year; I want to say he had 4 game-winning shots in the final minute.

FSU was a legit title contender. It was a special season - who knows what might have been?

I don't think Duke was a FF favorite in 2020, but I do like how we beat the Big 12 Champs (Kansas), the Big Ten Champs (MSU), and the ACC Champs (FSU). With Vernon Carey and Tre Jones, we at least had a decent chance.

I don't think Duke was a FF favorite in 2020, but I do like how we beat the Big 12 Champs (Kansas), the Big Ten Champs (MSU), and the ACC Champs (FSU). With Vernon Carey and Tre Jones, we at least had a decent chance.

Thats an impressive resume.

Reactions: dukedevilz
Hey now, you forgot to mention Mich State were Co champs with MD sir... :p

Hey now, you forgot to mention Mich State were Co champs with MD sir... :p
We were the hotter team to end the year. Won 4 straight games to end that season, all against ranked opponents, by double digits. We were really hitting our stride after some early season struggle. I would say we would have had a better shot that you guys to win it all.

We were the hotter team to end the year. Won 4 straight games to end that season, all against ranked opponents, by double digits. We were really hitting our stride after some early season struggle. I would say we would have had a better shot that you guys to win it all.

Eh, I remember MD finish regular season beating Michigan , and yes , you guys were hot to- however , believe it’s up to debate on who would have went farther , considering we didn’t even have the conference tourney .

If we play well I don’t see us scoring less than 80, I’ll say 85-75.

I believe 55 points is a whole lot less than 80 points. Seems like UF plays some real legit defense in at least 1 of the big 2 sports this year…

Eh, I remember MD finish regular season beating Michigan , and yes , you guys were hot to- however , believe it’s up to debate on who would have went farther , considering we didn’t even have the conference tourney .
You guys lost to us at home by double digits to end the year. We were definitely hotter to end the year. I’m not saying you all weren’t but MSU was the best team in the conference to end the year and I’ll die on that hill. We were rolling.

I’d also take Izzo in the tournament over at Turge.

Reactions: Noahtogo24
You guys lost to us at home by double digits to end the year. We were definitely hotter to end the year. I’m not saying you all weren’t but MSU was the best team in the conference to end the year and I’ll die on that hill. We were rolling.

I’d also take Izzo in the tournament over at Turge.

Trust me, I would also take Izzo over Turge any day as well , obviously . You beat us by 12, we beat you by 7 that season. Do I think MSU were favorites going into the conference tourney ? Yes, I do-However, no chance I would count MD out before it even started - this felt like Turge ‘s most combined talent and togetherness team all together IMO , 2016 was more talented but not all in as one that year.

ADVERTISEMENT