ADVERTISEMENT

Florida vs Michigan St

rdgtr

Feb 5, 2003
I hope this is a good competitive game. This is another re-match of the teams from the 2000 NCAA Finals. Mich St leads the series 4-3 and this game is in Gainesville, FL.

Both are good defensive teams but the Spartans are one of the best offensive teams, too.
In the current kenpom, Michigan St (7-2) is #9 (5th Off eff, 25 Def eff) and
Florida (5-3) is #21 (60th Off eff, 6th Def eff).
https://msuspartans.com/news/2018/1...higan-state-plays-at-florida-on-saturday.aspx
http://digitaledition.orlandosentin...spx?guid=22d2ea62-72f6-428d-bb04-cfb647fba938
====================================================================
No. 10 Michigan State (7-2) vs. Florida (5-3) When: Noon
Where: O’Connell Center TV: CBS

FLORIDA (5-3)

KeVaughn Allen; G; 6-2; Sr.; 10.0 ppg; 2.8 apg

Noah Locke; G; 6-3; Fr.; 8.3 ppg; 1.6 rpg

Andrew Nembhard; G; 6-5; Fr.; 7.3 ppg; 6.5 apg

Keith Stone; F; 6;8; Jr.; 6.8 ppg; 5.0 rpg

Kevarrius Hayes; C; 6-9; Sr.; 7.4 ppg; 6.0 rpg

NO. 10 MICHIGAN STATE (7-2)

Kenny Gains; F; 6-7; Sr.; 7.0 ppg; 10.4 rpg

Nick Ward; F; 6-9; Jr.; 15.9 ppg; 6.0 rpg

Kyle Ahrens; G; 6-6; Jr.; 5.8 ppg; 2.6 rpg

Joshua Langford; G; 6-5; Jr.; 17.1 ppg; 3.7 rpg

Cassius Winston; G; 6-1; Jr.; 16.8; ppg; 7.7 apg
=================================================================

Last edited:
Reactions: MileHighSpartan
Florida just struggles on offense. I honestly don't know what happened to Hudson and Allen. Those 2 were supposed to carry the 3 freshman and it has almost been the reverse. Florida just can't afford to have their 2 senior guards be so poor. Those were supposed to be the guys to average 15-17ppg and provide UF, with Nembhard, one of the best backcourts in the country.

Hudson and Allen's struggles are causing this to become a transition year. We should be loaded next year with a great recruiting class coming in but I thought this team would be top-25 all year. Now I am not sure they even reach the tournament.

Michigan St is experienced and plays so well - their defense is good enough to keep a struggling Florida down.

This will just have to be a learning experience for the gators.

Florida showing some life again.
39-32 (Sparty)

Now 39-35

This looks like a do or die NCAA tournament game.

Allan missed the potential tying lay-up

Nobody guarded that MSU guy on any of his buckets and he made UF pay.

UF is very disappointing. This was a game that was right there to be had. I just don't see the Gators reaching the tournament.

Meh, it was a close game at the end but neither team looked special. It was not a well played game at all.

I think that's the lowest amount of combined fouls in an MSU game in years.

MSU was pulling away a couple of times, and if it was called a little tighter they would have won by a bit more, IMO.

Meh, it was a close game at the end but neither team looked special. It was not a well played game at all.

Michigan St is a very efficient offensive team and they are also a solid defensive team,too.
Two players shot at a very high percentage:
Ward: 13 pts (6/8, 5 reb)
Tillman: 14 pts (6/7, 9 reb) <-- sensational bench player

Langford is a great leader at point guard. When the game got close at times, Langford kept hitting big shots to help Mich St keep the lead.
Langford: 13 pts (5/11, 2A/5TO)

However, it was Winston who was sneaky good in finding numerous Spartan players for the assist and breaking down a swarming Florida defense with the extra pass.
Winston: 10 pts (4/13, 6A/2TO)
====================================================================
Florida had only two players (vs 4 players for MSU) in double figures. They were both back-court players:
Nembhard: 13 pts (6/12, 3A/3TO)
Allen: 13 pts (5/ 3/9 from 3pt-range, 1A/3TO))
Stone, Hayes, Johnson, Ballard and Hudson were solid but were not enough to overcome their counterparts.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/boxscore?gameId=401082477

Izzo utilizes six solid starters for Mich St and two other good bench players.

For UF, White maybe plays too many players and does not really have as many solid starters on his team.

Reactions: northeastspartan
I think that's the lowest amount of combined fouls in an MSU game in years.

MSU was pulling away a couple of times, and if it was called a little tighter they would have won by a bit more, IMO.

Yeah, there were not as many fouls called and so not many free-throws were shot by either team. It's a good thing for Florida because they don't shoot them very well as Mich St.

No one really shot well from the 3-pt range either. Only Kevaughn Allen (3/9) had more than one 3-ptrs in the game but it wasn't enough.
Florida forcing Michigan St into more turnovers (14 for MSU and 9 for UF) kept the game close.

Reactions: northeastspartan
Nobody guarded that MSU guy on any of his buckets and he made UF pay.

UF is very disappointing. This was a game that was right there to be had. I just don't see the Gators reaching the tournament.

???

Florida and Louisville are similar teams. Not good in half court and not good shooting team but the length and defense can really bother teams. They both play a kind of helter skelter style.

Reactions: rdgtr
ADVERTISEMENT