ADVERTISEMENT

First round upsets

ExitFlagger

May 2, 2015
Team
Kansas
Any locks?

Tempted to take Oral Roberts over Duke but I doubt I’ll pull the trigger. Maybe Drake over Miami. Providence over Kentucky?

I’m thinking VCU over St Mary’s for the obligatory 12/5 upset.

If I had to pick a big one, I’m leaning toward Kent St over Indiana.

Duke got screwed, should have gotten a 4 seed and instead they have to play an upset-minded Oral Robert’s whom I think can go all the way to sweet 16. If they do avoid this upset, I like their chance against Tennessee though, the Vols ain’t a good tournament team and Rick Barnes ain’t getting to sweet 16 again.

Any locks?

Tempted to take Oral Roberts over Duke but I doubt I’ll pull the trigger. Maybe Drake over Miami. Providence over Kentucky?

And UK transfer Bryce Hopkins plays for Providence, that upset would be a story. 👍

Any locks?

VCU will give SMC fits.....Just a terrible match-up for the Gaels.

Reactions: KisteK
VCU will give SMC fits.....Just a terrible match-up for the Gaels.
Everyone keeps on saying this and I understand the sentiment because of their playing styles.

But St Mary’s beat VCU in the tournament as a 7 seed in 2017. Just pointing this out because a worse seeded St Mary’s beat a better seeded VCU in the tournament already.

Everyone keeps on saying this and I understand the sentiment because of their playing styles.

But St Mary’s beat VCU in the tournament as a 7 seed in 2017. Just pointing this out because a worse seeded St Mary’s beat a better seeded VCU in the tournament already.
Yeah, I ain't too concerned with what happened in 2017.....

Yeah, I ain't too concerned with what happened in 2017.....
Just pointing out that people think VCU will win because of their contrast in styles. And VCU and St. Mary's still run the same styles now as they did in 2017. Except this time, St Mary's is ranked higher and VCU is ranked lower.

Duke got screwed, should have gotten a 4 seed and instead they have to play an upset-minded Oral Robert’s whom I think can go all the way to sweet 16. If they do avoid this upset, I like their chance against Tennessee though, the Vols ain’t a good tournament team and Rick Barnes ain’t getting to sweet 16 again.
They got screwed????? They were unranked two weeks ago and they play in the worst power 5 conference in America. They're being rewarded for winning a conference title in a league that is having a historically bad season. 5 seed is about right but I can make a case for a 6 seed as well. I don't trust any of the ACC teams this postseason. Virginia will win their first round game but after that I don't trust any team to move on to the second weekend. Duke will have a tough one with Oral Roberts and lose to UTjr. in the 2nd round.

• Haha
Reactions: bignish
everyone keeps picking VCU over St Mary's which means that St. Mary's is definitely beating VCU.

There are always a few trendy picks like that it seems.

This year people love that, uconn to the F4 and Texas to the F4

I know a lot of people will pick UVA to lose and deservedly so for past tourney performance. But we don't ALWAYS lose in the first round. I actually like how we match up with Furman. I wouldn't be shocked if we lost but I think we advance, even if it's pretty tight throughout.

Just pointing out that people think VCU will win because of their contrast in styles. And VCU and St. Mary's still run the same styles now as they did in 2017. Except this time, St Mary's is ranked higher and VCU is ranked lower.
Contrast in styles really not why Iike VCU. Style is style....Rarely changes. They are both almost identical: Porus offense's, eilte defenses. I tend to feel a few things here...

VCU is a lot more athletic, and Johns is a tough match-up for them....also, the Gaels arevery foul prone---17 per game....and VCU is relly good at drawing fouls(21 per game)--I just think SMC's guards are gonna have issues keeping VCU's more athletic, bigger guards in front of them....Plus SMC depends a lot on Mahaney----a frosh. Tough depending on a frosh in March....But the kid can play. Just not sure he matche's up well with VCU's guards...

Depth:

SMC plays 5 dudes baisaclly. Starters all average over 30 mpg----and for a team with little depth, that fouls a lot, versus a team that draws a lot of fouls......Meh, could be trouble. And VCU is deep.....8 guys playing 17+ minutes.

That is why I like VCU

Fixed that for you.
kiss-mine-kiss-my-ass.gif

Oral Roberts is a very dangerous 12 seed. They're 7th in the country in effective field percentage. And they're 2nd in the nation in 3-point fields made per game. They can light it up. And they also have the 2nd best shot blocker in the country. They're not your typical mid-major. They absolutely are capable of beating Duke. I think this team is better than the 2021 team that made the Sweet 16.

That being said, I don't think we're the best matchup for them. We are significantly longer than they are, and our defense is really starting to show. If we can run them off the three point line, and rebound like we normally do, I like our chances.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
Good call clown

ADVERTISEMENT