Bama

Based on Bracketology

Marquette
Texas
Kansas
Creighton

• Haha
Reactions: snowsquirrel11
I'd have to see the matchups because they are so critical. Right now taking a wild guess based on bracket projections I'd go with:

Kansas
Baylor
Arizona
Purdue (only if they start shooting better, otherwise it would be UConn)

Purdue I just don't see actually making it though. I picked them because of the projected bracket. I doubt they will get so lucky IRL.

Houston
Kansas
Marquette
Alabama

After seeing espn bracket
Alabama
Texas
Kansas
Houston

If Joey brackets is correct Alabama’s bracket is brutal with Alabama, baylor, Marquette, Indiana, and Kentucky all in that bracket. Plus tcu. That would suck for any of those teams.

If Joey brackets is correct Alabama’s bracket is brutal with Alabama, baylor, Marquette, Indiana, and Kentucky all in that bracket. Plus tcu. That would suck for any of those teams.
That's why I didn't put Alabama in the FF. I don't see them making it through all that.

Reactions: JayhawkWriter
Houston
Kansas
Marquette
Alabama

Alabama
Texas
Kansas
Houston

Indiana fans want a shot at Ky. Cal can’t run and hide in the tournament

ESPN's computer model, the Basketball Power Index, has made its picks:

• Houston
  • Tennessee
  • Alabama
  • UCLA
Yeah, I'll go with ESPN on it.

Houston
Kansas
Marquette
Alabama

Alabama
Texas
Kansas
Houston

Not only is UK/IU in their bracket,but that regional is in Lousiville...

CAn you imagine being the 1 seed, and having to possibly UK or IU, in Louisville?

Brutal

Well then, someone needs to tell the computer....
Image-of-Binary-Code-1.jpg

Done, message sent.

• Haha
Reactions: cdbearde
ESPN's computer model, the Basketball Power Index, has made its picks:

• Houston
  • Tennessee
  • Alabama
  • UCLA
Yeah, I'll go with ESPN on it.
Sorry, but no way in hell Tennessee is making it after losing one of their key players.

Kansas ain't winning 2 in a row.

I tend to trust the schools less in the tournament that have really high luck ratings. Kansas is currently 14th in the country in the KenPom luck metric. They're 9-1 in games decided by 5 points or less.

Are they capable of winning 6 in a row? Yes. Absolutely. I just don't trust them as much as a few others.

Reactions: ThePhog08
I tend to trust the schools less in the tournament that have really high luck ratings. Kansas is currently 14th in the country in the KenPom luck metric. They're 9-1 in games decided by 5 points or less.

Are they capable of winning 6 in a row? Yes. Absolutely. I just don't trust them as much as a few others.

Not that I'm extremely confident in winning 6, but I'm not sure the luck metric says much. Self's KU teams have always won close games at a really high rate.

Seems silly to say "I don't trust you because you win your close games." As if it would bode better for them to lose more of those or to play a much weaker schedule.

Last edited:
Not that I'm extremely confident in winning 6, but I'm not sure the luck metric says much. Self's KU teams have always won close games at a really high rate.

Seems silly to say "I don't trust you because you win your close games." As if it would bode better for them to lose more of those or to play a much weaker schedule.

If you look at the past 10 tournaments, Top 25 teams in the luck metric are 47-71 (39.8%) in the tournament. If you're high in the luck metric, it basically means that you're over seeded.

Here are all of the champions in KenPom history. '03 Syracuse and '14 UConn are the only ones in the top 25. And almost assuredly they weren't top 25 pre-tournament. 11/20 champs fall within the 76-150 range (15/20 are in the 51-200 range). Your luck rating post-tournament is going to be decent, considering you likely won 3-5 close-ish games. But, you likely don't have a top 25 luck rating, because it more or less means your success isn't likely to be duplicated.

2002 Maryland 104
2003 Syracuse 16
2004 UConn 140
2005 UNC 135
2006 Florida 194
2007 Florida 110
2008 Kansas 138
2009 North Carolina 195
2010 Duke 145
2011 UConn 58
2012 Kentucky 86
2013 Louisville 230
2014 UConn 23
2015 Duke 38
2016 Villanova 114
2017 North Carolina 85
2018 Villanova 225
2019 Virginia 62
2021 Baylor 80
2022 Kansas 88

You can't keep winning 50-50 games - if someone was a superior team, they would have simply won by more points and the game wouldn't have been decided in the final minute or two. Now, I acknowledge some teams are better coached and have more talent, so it's not like every team should be expected to win 50% of close games. The luck metric is looking at the standard deviation between a team's winning percentage and their expected record, using multiple analytics.

4 of the 6 losses for Kansas are by 14+ points. And KU won 9 of the 10 games by 5 points or less. It basically means, if you simulated all 31 games again using a widespread of analytics, more often than not, Kansas is much more likely to have 23 or 24 wins than they are to have 26 or 27.

Last edited:
You should love Tennessee we are ranked 323 on luck. We have luck, it's just bad luck.

Teams right in the middle are more trustworthy, IMO (101-200 range). Post tournament, it's going to bump up a bit, because you just won 6 games. I pointed out in my previous post that 11/20 champions were in the 76-150 post-tournament.

Obviously you don't want to factor luck to much into the equation. Because March Madness is all about luck. I'm just cautious of schools that have already seen a fair share of fortune - and compound the fact that analytically speaking, they're often over seeded 1 or 2 spots.

Last edited:
Games that catch my eye on Bracketology.

Purdue, who has to be the top rated 2 seed, gets a second round game of the winner of a 7/10 Kentucky vs West Virginia matchup. Would not like that as a Purdue fan.

#3 Kansas State vs #6 Creighton in Des Moines. That would be a rough second round game for a 3 seed.

#4 UConn vs any of the 1's would be a tough game. Would much rather have Virginia or Indiana if I were a 1. However, he has them against the best 5 seed in Saint Mary's first.

You'd have to like KU's chances here. If it goes all chalk, KU would get Missouri in the second round and Indiana in the Sweet Sixteen. Two teams they already beat this year by an average margin of victory of 25pts. They'd be walking to the Elite Eight with only one of Arizona, Marquette or San Diego State in their way of back-to-back final fours, and the game would be in Kansas City.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
If you look at the past 10 tournaments, Top 25 teams in the luck metric are 47-71 (39.8%) in the tournament. If you're high in the luck metric, it basically means that you're over seeded.

Here are all of the champions in KenPom history. '03 Syracuse and '14 UConn are the only ones in the top 25. And almost assuredly they weren't top 25 pre-tournament. 11/20 champs fall within the 76-150 range (15/20 are in the 51-200 range). Your luck rating post-tournament is going to be decent, considering you likely won 3-5 close-ish games. But, you likely don't have a top 25 luck rating, because it more or less means your success isn't likely to be duplicated.

2002 Maryland 104
2003 Syracuse 16
2004 UConn 140
2005 UNC 135
2006 Florida 194
2007 Florida 110
2008 Kansas 138
2009 North Carolina 195
2010 Duke 145
2011 UConn 58
2012 Kentucky 86
2013 Louisville 230
2014 UConn 23
2015 Duke 38
2016 Villanova 114
2017 North Carolina 85
2018 Villanova 225
2019 Virginia 62
2021 Baylor 80
2022 Kansas 88

You can't keep winning 50-50 games - if someone was a superior team, they would have simply won by more points and the game wouldn't have been decided in the final minute or two. Now, I acknowledge some teams are better coached and have more talent, so it's not like every team should be expected to win 50% of close games. The luck metric is looking at the standard deviation between a team's winning percentage and their expected record, using multiple analytics.

4 of the 6 losses for Kansas are by 14+ points. And KU won 9 of the 10 games by 5 points or less. It basically means, if you simulated all 31 games again using a widespread of analytics, more often than not, Kansas is much more likely to have 23 or 24 wins than they are to have 26 or 27.

I'm betting it's more of a correlation than causation situation, but I get your point. I just don't view winning close games consistently as a bad thing (especially when Self does it year after year). If anything, I see it as good prep for March. It'd be one thing if they were playing close games vs midmajor competition, but this is against the #1 SOS. How many teams from that list played a schedule that was comparable to KU's?

KU only beat OU by 4 the first time, but they closed on an 18-4 run. I don't think I'd chalk the timing of that run up to dumb luck. They've had several close wins vs lesser teams, but only one of those teams had a lead or tie in the final few minutes. KU seemed to overlook those teams to an extent, leading to a mediocre effort and close score. But when it was time to close, they did. The final scores vs TT, WV, OU, etc may have been close, but I'm betting that if Self/KU had to face the same situations vs the same teams over and over again, they'd win a very high percentage. I don't see those as 50/50 games, and I don't think they tell us much about how KU would play vs a 1 or 2 seed in the tourney. I think you'd see a much stronger effort throughout.

I will say that KU was very lucky to win that early game vs Wisconsin. They needed an unlikely putback from a role player in the last couple seconds to pull it off. But on the flipside, they were very unlucky in Manhattan. If Self doesn't call a late TO that erases a Wilson three, it's likely a win.

Last edited:
I’m going with bracketless only. Hadn’t kept up much with bracketology this season.

Alabama
UCLA
Purdue
Indiana

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT