ADVERTISEMENT

Favorite Recruiting Stories

dukedevilz

Apr 3, 2002
I don't really know too many, to be honest. But would be interested in hearing some of your favorites. Here's one regarding Grant Hill's visit to Georgetown almost 30 years ago:

[Grant Hill] told Esquire that when he visited Georgetown, "Coach [John] Thompson was there, and Miss Mary Fenlon, Georgetown's academic adviser. We're sitting in a room and Miss Fenlon hands me a book and says, `Read this.' I was a little startled, but I took the book and started reading to myself. Then she says, `I meant, read out loud.' So I started reading out loud. After a page, she stops me and says, `Now, tell me what you've read.'" Deeply--and justifiably--offended, Hill left the room vowing never to attend Georgetown.

I was being recruited by several schools, but I chose Marshall since it was only 5 miles from where I lived. They were in my house, with the papers to sign. I whispered to my mom, something doesn't feel right. So I chose not to sign.

A year a half later, Marshall's plane crashed approaching Tr-State Airport (Walker's field) killing all those on board. Had I signed, I would have been on that plane.

Not everyone's favorite, but it is mine.

I don't really know too many, to be honest. But would be interested in hearing some of your favorites. Here's one regarding Grant Hill's visit to Georgetown almost 30 years ago:

[Grant Hill] told Esquire that when he visited Georgetown, "Coach [John] Thompson was there, and Miss Mary Fenlon, Georgetown's academic adviser. We're sitting in a room and Miss Fenlon hands me a book and says, `Read this.' I was a little startled, but I took the book and started reading to myself. Then she says, `I meant, read out loud.' So I started reading out loud. After a page, she stops me and says, `Now, tell me what you've read.'" Deeply--and justifiably--offended, Hill left the room vowing never to attend Georgetown.
I would have been annoyed and thought them having me do that made no sense but why was he justifiably offended?

I would have been annoyed and thought them having me do that made no sense but why was he justifiably offended?

Just guessing that Grant Hill's perception was that the adviser was questioning Hill's reading comprehension (almost like she was making sure he didn't need a remedial English course). Reading out loud should have sufficed. Or his test scores. Not exactly sure what his scores were, but seeing how his dad graduated from Yale and his mom was a successful attorney (and college roommate of Hillary Clinton), I'm thinking Hill probably did fairly well in the academic arena.

Just guessing that Grant Hill's perception was that the adviser was questioning Hill's reading comprehension (almost like she was making sure he didn't need a remedial English course). Reading out loud should have sufficed. Or his test scores. Not exactly sure what his scores were, but seeing how his dad graduated from Yale and his mom was a successful attorney (and college roommate of Hillary Clinton), I'm thinking Hill probably did fairly well in the academic arena.
My mom grew up a Cowboys fan and she always loved listening to the player introductions and hearing them say "Calvin Hill, Yale." She ended up at Duke and was thrilled to find out that Calvin's son was coming as well. I'm a UVA fan now, but Grant Hill is one of my favorite players of all time

Reactions: dukedevilz
Terrence Jones commits to Washington, called UK staff, and two years later won a championship and became the 18th pick.
I'm sure if he'd stuck with his peer pressure he would have the same path to riches.

UK has so many players that almost didn't become rich.

Last edited:
Terrence Jones commits to Washington, called UK staff, and two years later won a championship and became the 18th pick.
I'm sure if he'd stuck with his peer pressure he would have the same path to riches.

That's great and all, but are they set for life? Only Duke can offer that lifetime guarantee.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
I was being recruited by several schools, but I chose Marshall since it was only 5 miles from where I lived. They were in my house, with the papers to sign. I whispered to my mom, something doesn't feel right. So I chose not to sign.

A year a half later, Marshall's plane crashed approaching Tr-State Airport (Walker's field) killing all those on board. Had I signed, I would have been on that plane.

Pretty sure he’s not joking?

Geeze, I remember that. Plus Evansville.

That's great and all, but are they set for life? Only Duke can offer that lifetime guarantee.
Gosh what a dastardly post.

Bull shit. UK was preparing its folks for a lifetime guarantee long before Trinity was renamed Duke.

Get a life dude. Hell Duke never won a title until the 1990's decades after UK's players were dead and gone. Holy shit.

Bull shit. UK was preparing its folks for a lifetime guarantee long before Trinity was renamed Duke.

Get a life dude. Hell Duke never won a title until the 1990's decades after UK's players were dead and gone. Holy shit.

Are you familiar with sarcasm? You're turning into the afamu poster of UK fans.

My favorite is probably the recruitment of James “Fly” Williams to Austin Peay.

Leonard Hamilton was a 22 year old assistant in his first coaching job. He got assigned to go up to NYC and check in on some kids, basically because he was the black coach, and he goes to see the street ball legend, Fly Williams. Tons of coaches had tried to recruit him, but Fly wasn’t really all that interested in college and never came to the house when coaches made in-home visits with his momma. Well, Hamilton gets there around 6 or 7 for dinner and Fly isn’t there. But he strikes up good conversation about faith and values with Fly’s momma and they keep chatting. And every time she asks him if he wants more tea or another plate, Hamilton gets up and moves the hands on the living room clock back a little bit while she’s in the kitchen.

About midnight, so the story goes, Fly comes sauntering in and is shocked to see his momma still entertaining Hamilton. But the clock says it’s only about 9:30 or 10pm. Hamilton sits him down and talks ball.

Fly committed the next day and led the nation in scoring at Austin Peay his freshman year.

But that’s just Ham. Never gives up. Always builds that relationship just a bit more than other coaches. Ask long time UK folks about his recruitment of Sam Bowie and Kenny Walker. Joe B. Hall said there was no way they were getting Bowie. But Hamilton won him over.

Calm yourself, Iago. I'm playing off the Hamidou Diallo recruitment when he told reporters that Duke's pitch was, "You come to Duke and you're set for life." Lots people gave Duke flak for that comment.

Leonard Hamilton was a 22 year old assistant in his first coaching job. He got assigned to go up to NYC and check in on some kids, basically because he was the black coach, and he goes to see the street ball legend, Fly Williams. Tons of coaches had tried to recruit him, but Fly wasn’t really all that interested in college and never came to the house when coaches made in-home visits with his momma. Well, Hamilton gets there around 6 or 7 for dinner and Fly isn’t there. But he strikes up good conversation about faith and values with Fly’s momma and they keep chatting. And every time she asks him if he wants more tea or another plate, Hamilton gets up and moves the hands on the living room clock back a little bit while she’s in the kitchen.

About midnight, so the story goes, Fly comes sauntering in and is shocked to see his momma still entertaining Hamilton. But the clock says it’s only about 9:30 or 10pm. Hamilton sits him down and talks ball.

Fly committed the next day and led the nation in scoring at Austin Peay his freshman year.

But that’s just Ham. Never gives up. Always builds that relationship just a bit more than other coaches. Ask long time UK folks about his recruitment of Sam Bowie and Kenny Walker. Joe B. Hall said there was no way they were getting Bowie. But Hamilton won him over.

Love it! That's awesome!

Yeah...dude was on track for Radio Shack before he met Cal.

How on Earth would he have gotten drafted with better stats and more individual attention?

Yeah...dude was on track for Radio Shack before he met Cal.

How on Earth would he have gotten drafted with better stats and more individual attention?
Reaching here. Terrence Jones developed at UK. He was way better after his Sophomore season.

Again @MrBaracus what is it about UK and Calipari?

Reaching here. Terrence Jones developed at UK. He was way better after his Sophomore season.

Again @MrBaracus what is it about UK and Calipari?

Way better? Based on what?

And you have no idea how he’d have developed elsewhere. But we do know that he would have scored more points and had a greater individual spotlight than being a teammate of Anthony Davis and Kidd-Gilchrist.

The rumors that 'insiders' always throw around are what I remember best about UNC recruitments . I don't believe much of it but it is entertaining. One of the best was that Barnes attended a frat party and then threw his UNC shirt into the bushes when he left. The stories like that always crack me up.

Also accounted for the greatest student section cheer in Sports history....

“Fly is open, lets go Peay!”

The best recruiting story that I think is even humanly possible is about Tom Crean and Kyrie Irving.

The story goes that iu was in really good shape for him and had an in home visit. He took the assistant coach (can't remember his name) and while talking about why he should choose IU, the assistant who was either an ex player for Duke, or had coached there at one point basically started to recite everything positive about Duke. Crean was furious about this which resulted in him and his assistant coach to get into a huge argument with each other in front of the family in their living room.

To either calm down, or just because he had to use the bathroom...Crean went to the bathroom to compose himself and while there decided to take a dump. Unfortunately, he apparently ended up clogging the toilet and I for some reason think that he just left it. The next day kyrie released a statement that he was no longer considering iu as a school. The assistant coach was not allowed to go out and recruit anymore and I believe fired at the end of the current season.

This story is basically a huge folklore now and no one either confirms, or denies anything that happened that night. But, the assistant coach was not allowed on the road anymore and fired a few months later. The Irving's did drop iu from consideration the next day. So, something big ended up happening either way. I'm going to believe that somewhere in that story is a clogged toilet !

Let's go Peay, let's go Peay. Fly's open.

Reactions: GE Nole
The best recruiting story that I think is even humanly possible is about Tom Crean and Kyrie Irving.

The story goes that iu was in really good shape for him and had an in home visit. He took the assistant coach (can't remember his name) and while talking about why he should choose IU, the assistant who was either an ex player for Duke, or had coached there at one point basically started to recite everything positive about Duke. Crean was furious about this which resulted in him and his assistant coach to get into a huge argument with each other in front of the family in their living room.

To either calm down, or just because he had to use the bathroom...Crean went to the bathroom to compose himself and while there decided to take a dump. Unfortunately, he apparently ended up clogging the toilet and I for some reason think that he just left it. The next day kyrie released a statement that he was no longer considering iu as a school. The assistant coach was not allowed to go out and recruit anymore and I believe fired at the end of the current season.

This story is basically a huge folklore now and no one either confirms, or denies anything that happened that night. But, the assistant coach was not allowed on the road anymore and fired a few months later. The Irving's did drop iu from consideration the next day. So, something big ended up happening either way. I'm going to believe that somewhere in that story is a clogged toilet !

hahahaha yes! I knew something happened there, but wasn't sure quite what it was. Need more stories like this. Roshown McLeod was the coach in question, and he played at Duke for two years in the late 90's.

Reactions: jace4655555
One recruit that I really, really wanted at Duke was David Lee. Shortly after he committed to UF he said something along the lines of, "Duke showed me the library - and Florida showed me co-eds in bikinis."

Not a specific story, but I know Calhoun went all-in with negative recruiting against Cuse to nab some NYC area players. I don't fault him, because I think that is/was common, but that's a big part of the reason for the animosity between the fan bases. That, and UConn becoming good out of nowhere and getting cocky very quickly.

Reactions: Bert Higginbotha
My favorite is the one about coach K blowing his whole recruiting budget buying Zion. Wasted money seeing that they didn’t even make the F4

Reactions: Hawkquake
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT