ADVERTISEMENT

Favorite Play by Play Announcers and Color Commentators?

lurkeraspect84

Mar 4, 2014
They usually work together and play off each other, but who would you like to call a game if you could choose two from different sports.

Jim Nance, Al Michaels, Gus Johnson, Jay Bilas, Has Marv retired?

Reactions: counselor
James Worthy was awesome it was like a cameo a long time ago but he was REALLY good.

For me it's Bill Walton and whatshisname. I know a lotta people can't stand him.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
Jim Nance and Walton would be must watch.

I think Nance has the humor and professionalism to work with him.

Last edited:
Bilas was good til he started bitching incessantly about officiating and the NCAA. I'd rather stick a fork in my eye than listen to Walton. Dakich is (was) really good. Gus Johnson, Jim Nantz I like as well.

Reactions: dukedevilz
Bilas is fine until he gets on his officiating rants. "OMGZ GUYS THEY CALLED A BLOCK WHEN 99% OF THE TIME THEY CALL THAT A CHARGE!!!!!111"

Gus. Walton is pretty awesome and Bilas is decent.

Outside of that they are varying degrees of annoying.

Reactions: Kevin Bryan
Jim Nantz voice makes my penis think it's a vagina.
the-beguiled-elle-fanning.gif

Nantz is good. His voice always makes me think of March Madness. Also like Johnson, Kellogg, and of course Walton.

Most annoying: Dykes, Raftery, Vitale.

Musburger and Lundquist were good, not sure they do NCAA basketball anymore. Haven't really paid attention but don't recall hearing them recently. Ian Eagle is ok too.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
We get a lot of Hummel in the B1G. I like him more than most. Kevin Harlan in March madness. Raftery. Can’t stand Bilas anymore.

Nantz is good. His voice always makes me think of March Madness. Also like Johnson, Kellogg, and of course Walton.

Most annoying: Dykes, Raftery, Vitale.

Musburger and Lundquist were good, not sure they do NCAA basketball anymore. Haven't really paid attention but don't recall hearing them recently. Ian Eagle is ok too.
Man about 20-30 years ago whenever it was Dykes used to do the D list games at midnight or whatever it was, and I gotta tell ya he was awesome then. I don't really know what all happened but they just put him in mainstream and kind of turned him into something else. I don't know if anybody else was watching games back then but he was just different back then.

He is awful now agreed. And yeah I never understood the love for Raft most love him, it's not that I hate him of course he just doesn't add much to the game just kinda fawns over whatever.

Reactions: Kevin Bryan
We get a lot of Hummel in the B1G. I like him more than most. Kevin Harlan in March madness. Raftery. Can’t stand Bilas anymore.
I think Hummel is a potential budding star now I will say I've heard him do a few Boiler games something tells me he is next level good when he doesn't have skin in the game.

I think Hummel is a potential budding star now I will say I've heard him do a few Boiler games something tells me he is next level good when he doesn't have skin in the game.
He’s a good up and comer. But they usually do something that will puss off a bunch of people so just give it time. For now he’s pretty good. I can’t stand bardo.

He’s a good up and comer. But they usually do something that will puss off a bunch of people so just give it time. For now he’s pretty good. I can’t stand bardo.
I recall enjoying Bardo but again this may have been over a decade ago or more. I feel like he gave an honest take. I recall him doing a conf championship game and some dude on one of the teams was gunning it up and firing blanks and Bardo called him out. I can't remember the exact wording of course but me and a buddy were both watching it and we were kinda like, yeah for real you never hear a guy just blast a gun like that but he did. It may have just been a one off shining moment I dunno.

Reactions: jwardelt
Top 10 Play-by-Play
1. Jim Nantz
2. Gus Johnson
3. Eric Collins
4. Verne Lundquist
5. Dave Flemming
6. Reece Davis
7. Jon Sciambi
8. Joe Tessitore
9. Roxy Bernstein
10. Dave Pasch

Top 10 Commentators
1. Robbie Hummel
2. Sean Farnham
3. Fran Fraschilla
4. Casey Jacobsen
5. Tom Crean (he'll be back, don't worry)
6. Stephen Bardo
7. Jon Crispin
8. Bill Walton (higher on the entertainment value, of course)
9. Jay Bilas
10. Brad Daugherty (haven't heard him in years, but I loved his passion)

Bilas could be much higher, if he didn't complain so much.

Usually not fan of female commentators - mostly because they have annoying voices. Doris Burke knows the game very well, but can't stand her voice. Debbie Antonelli I don't mind, though. I find myself saying a lot of the same stuff she is.

ADVERTISEMENT