ADVERTISEMENT

Fanhood.

lurkeraspect84

Mar 4, 2014
How did most of you choose the team you root for and now vehemently defend? For those that went to the school, were you fans prior? Did your fandom cause you to choose said school?

I was down to Iowa State, Kansas and Nebraska. Kansas gave me the biggest swimming scholarship so I went there. Grew up an Oklahoma State fan so I wasn’t a huge KU fan but playing pick up basketball in AFH on my recruiting trip was pretty cool. Didn’t get really into KU until about 2 years later. I held onto my love for OSU for as long as I could but in the end the Phog got me.

My old man did business in NC, and came home w a mini Tar Heel ball for me. This coincided w the JR Reid SI cover circa 1987. I followed through and became a fan, nearly went to school there, but didn’t wanna go to juco for two years to get the old man to pay. Said he would pay for 2 years at UNC or everything for a 4-year instate school. I didn’t want to go juco. Did move to NC w the missus from 2004-2007 between jobs, solely to be around the Heels before moving back home (to Illinois) and starting a family. I picked a great time to go to NC though, met Roy, met the entire 2005 team, etc etc. Anyway, that’s my story.

Never understood why people care so much about why others root for the teams they do.

My dad was an aircraft engineer (KSU Grad). He passed away when i was 3 so it wasn't really forced on me. I was generally a combo fan until 5th grade b/t Wildcats and Jayhawks. My first college basketball game was in bramlage against the jayhawks. They gave away free ksu shirts at the door and i popped it on b/c my extended family that took me were big wildcat fans. After watching Rex Walters and Adonis Jordan play in person, I was sold. Took off the free t-shirt at halftime and never looked back. I grew up out in the country and my mom was painfully old school. Even though everyone had cable and satellite, we had bunny ears and 3 channels. I listened to more games than a human could imagine on the radio. I'd pop on my matching jayhawk sweats and shoot nerf hoops and listen to almost every game. Same with the royals----I'd keep a scorecard while listening (pitch counts, K's, hits, rbi's). The only games it seemed like i got to watch were on sunday afternoons. Usually pistons/bulls. I might be the only kid to wear jordans, but not really like him. I was an Isiah Thomas fan and loved the bad boys.

BTW--our TV had the wood frame around it and a remote with a GD cord. FML

Express%20Pannel%20Van%20Hood.jpg

vanhood

I grew up in Chapel Hill as a UNC fan. College choice was between UVA, UNC, Wake Forest, and Emory. Decided on UVA. Been a diehard UVA fan ever since.

Reactions: 829305
Grew up as an Army Brat, so with traveling to different stations in the US and abroad never paid much attention to college sports. Dad retired from Fort Knox, so we settled in Kentucky (Meade County to be exact). Older brother went to UofL and got the family tickets to basketball and football games...so we became fans. Came time for me to go to college, I simply went where most of my friends were going...UK (didn't have much in the way of "guidance counselors" back in the 70s). Remained a UofL fan during my time at UK, even though I cheered for UK while playing drums in the UK marching and pep bands. To this day, I have great memories of my UK and Lexington experience, while not having any ill will towards our biggest rival. Now...any ill will for a few UK posters is a story for another day. Winking

Birthrite

Oldest grandchild to a sports enthusiast.
Spent every single Sunday at my grandparents house my first 18+ years.
First came MLB
Next, NFL
Then, one Monday in '88, we went over to watch the NCAA Title game.

Hooked ever since.

Reactions: 829305 and JimboBBN
Born and raised in Louisville. Mom went to UK and got me hooked when I was really young. Dad got my little brother hooked on U of L. I got the lucky end of that draw ;)

ADVERTISEMENT