ADVERTISEMENT

Fall practice started up today

GE Nole

Sep 12, 2005
FSU started up fall practice today, assuming most other teams did as well. Anything noteworthy from y’alls teams? Specific areas you’re looking out for?

FSU’s veterans all seemed pretty dialed in. Significantly different intensity compared to fall practice last year when most of the starters were stepping into large roles for the first time.

Mfiondu Kabengele grew another inch and is up to 6’10 (came to FSU three years ago at 6’7.5). He’s also added noticeable muscle mass and appears quicker. So that’s bad news for the rest of the ACC.

Terance Mann looks more confident in his jumper heading into his senior year. If he can force D’s to respect him from 3...wow.

In some bad news, 7’4 senior Chris Koumadje is being bothered by a knee injury. Hopeful he’s ready to go by the UF game to open things up, but not a sure thing.

With Ike Obiagu (the best shot blocker in America) transferring out under suspicious circumstances late last spring, we don’t have much depth at the 5 spot. If Koumadje misses extended time we would really have to test out how well our “positionless” small ball lineup can play for long stretches.

My UCFavorite times of the year is during practice season, too OP.

UCF finally has a full roster that is healthy. We are largely expected to be this years’ Cinderella - which is fitting for such a magical university that UCF is.

We got like 4 true centers. Including our dominate 7’6 center. It’s crazy.

Of course our best player BJ Taylor is back who was way better than that smuck Joel Berry when they were cross town HS rivals in Orlando.

We have talent and depth 1-5. The 2&3 is what everyone will be looking for.

Should be a UCFantastic basketball season.

#UCFacts

SmokinSmile

UCF finally has a full roster that is healthy. We are largely expected to be this years’ Cinderella - which is fitting for such a magical university that UCF is.

Of course our best player BJ Taylor is back who was way better than that smuck Joel Berry when they were cross town HS rivals in Orlando.

#UCFacts

SmokinSmile
UK will have 5 practices in this weekend. And everyones healthy its been a few years since thats happened.

#UCFacts

SmokinSmile
You talking about the 3 time Mr. Basketball winner in Florida, final four MVP & 2017 National Champion Joel Berry?
Go back to the football board.

Reactions: AWilli6995

#UCFacts

SmokinSmile

Throwing shade at Joel Berry tells me all I need to know about your basketball knowledge. Fans on this board and especially blue bloods aren’t thinking about UCF because you have to do something first. You gotta crawl before you learn how to walk.

#UCFacts

SmokinSmile

Uh so are you being serious?

Ah I get it, you talking in your conference. Ok good luck.

Reactions: UCFhonors
I mean, I'm sure everyone will be hearing about how awesome they are. It's always fun.

Not sure who BJ Taylor is but I hope the young man has a fun, successful year for UCF. Nothing but well wishes for me. Hope dude can lead his team to maybe a top half of the conference finish or something. Would be good to see that team have some success.

FSU started up fall practice today, assuming most other teams did as well. Anything noteworthy from y’alls teams? Specific areas you’re looking out for?

FSU’s veterans all seemed pretty dialed in. Significantly different intensity compared to fall practice last year when most of the starters were stepping into large roles for the first time.

Mfiondu Kabengele grew another inch and is up to 6’10 (came to FSU three years ago at 6’7.5). He’s also added noticeable muscle mass and appears quicker. So that’s bad news for the rest of the ACC.

Terance Mann looks more confident in his jumper heading into his senior year. If he can force D’s to respect him from 3...wow.

In some bad news, 7’4 senior Chris Koumadje is being bothered by a knee injury. Hopeful he’s ready to go by the UF game to open things up, but not a sure thing.

With Ike Obiagu (the best shot blocker in America) transferring out under suspicious circumstances late last spring, we don’t have much depth at the 5 spot. If Koumadje misses extended time we would really have to test out how well our “positionless” small ball lineup can play for long stretches.

So are we on the tournament train or the NIT trolley?

With Purdue and UCONN in addition to UF I think we have a bit better on con. Winthrop is one of those teams that could have a decent RPI. Hopefully LSU is decent enough to help the RPI. Still looks like we scheduled some really bad teams though.

ACC schedule isn't awful. I feel 50/50 in making the dance as I have most recent years.

So are we on the tournament train or the NIT trolley?

With Purdue and UCONN in addition to UF I think we have a bit better on con. Winthrop is one of those teams that could have a decent RPI. Hopefully LSU is decent enough to help the RPI. Still looks like we scheduled some really bad teams though.

ACC schedule isn't awful. I feel 50/50 in making the dance as I have most recent years.

Bro, NIT?! This team is gonna be legit if they stay moderately healthy. Top 6 finish in the ACC, possibly top 4.

Also, the RPI is no longer a thing (praise Jesus). UConn isn’t all that good but we will get credit for scheduling them. LSU could be very good. Purdue is a top 30 team. UF is a top 30 team. If we end up playing Nova, that speaks for itself. Schedule is very solid.

Reactions: speedfrk
Bro, NIT?! This team is gonna be legit if they stay moderately healthy. Top 6 finish in the ACC, possibly top 4.

Also, the RPI is no longer a thing (praise Jesus). UConn isn’t all that good but we will get credit for scheduling them. LSU could be very good. Purdue is a top 30 team. UF is a top 30 team. If we end up playing Nova, that speaks for itself. Schedule is very solid.

Unlike football and baseball I actually manage my expectations when it comes to basketball. We always seem to have injuries and consistency issues. That's fine and not unique to us. I actually really enjoy fsu hoops because I have such modest hopes.

I know they aren't using RPI as a criteria for making the tournament, but is it completely gone altogether? I obviously don't keep up much in the offseason.

Reactions: GE Nole
Unlike football and baseball I actually manage my expectations when it comes to basketball. We always seem to have injuries and consistency issues. That's fine and not unique to us. I actually really enjoy fsu hoops because I have such modest hopes.

I know they aren't using RPI as a criteria for making the tournament, but is it completely gone altogether? I obviously don't keep up much in the offseason.

The RPI is gone and has been replaced by a composite metric.

I think you’re spot on about consistency. That’s just the nature of the sport of college basketball. High variance.

But FSU fans don’t give Ham enough credit, by and large. It’s why I stopped posting on Warchant. Too many folks are either unrealistic about the sport or flat out ignorant about our team and performance.

Last time I was over there people were still talking about us playing “street ball” (code for racists IMO) and being sloppy. Well last year we were better than average in the country in turnover %, and top 6 in the ACC in that stat. In 2017, we were 3rd in the ACC in turnover %. So what the eff are FSU “fans” watching?

People talk about “I don’t expect much but if we could just make the Tourney 50% of the time, I’d be happy. How hard is that?”

Well, we’ve made 6 NCAAT appearances in the last 10 years, on a shoestring budget and in the toughest league in the country. So what the eff are FSU “fans” talking about? Drives me crazy.

Anyway, we have the potential to be a top 15 team this year if we aren’t completely snake bit by injury. Obiagu taking a bag of cash from Seton Hall hurt our depth underneath. We can’t afford Koumadje, Cofer, and Kabengele to all get hurt. Hopefully that doesn’t happen.

Reactions: speedfrk
ADVERTISEMENT