ADVERTISEMENT

Experimental rules for NIT this year.

lurkeraspect84

Mar 4, 2014
• The three-point line will be extended by approximately 1 foot 8 inches to the same distance used by FIBA for international competition (22 feet 1.75 inches).

• The free throw lane will be widened from 12 feet to 16 feet, consistent with the width used by the NBA.

• The games will be divided into four 10-minute quarters as opposed to two 20-minute halves. Teams will shoot two free throws beginning with the fifth foul of each quarter.

• The shot clock will reset to 20 seconds after an offensive rebound instead of the full 30 seconds.

https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-men/article/2018-02-27/experimental-rules-be-used-nit

Reactions: ChiTownSean
Saw this earlier. Thanks for posting.

Don’t really care about quarters vs halves.

But the 3 point line absolutely needs to be moved back. Should have been done a long time ago. I’d be in favor of widening the lane too.

Saw this earlier. Thanks for posting.

Don’t really care about quarters vs halves.

But the 3 point line absolutely needs to be moved back. Should have been done a long time ago. I’d be in favor of widening the lane too.
I disagree. I like quarters vs halves. Isn't college basketball the only version that has two halves?

5 fouls in 10 minutes of play is too many
they should go to 4 fouls
i hope they do not change it to quarters
i like that CBB is different from the NBA

Reactions: Green Haiku
Feel like quarters takes away the flow of the game and I’m like others as well. I like that CBB is different.

3 does need to be moved out more though. The range in the athletes these days have shown that just about anyone can knock down a 3 from the distance it’s at now

The clock reset to 20 seconds following an offensive rebound makes sense. Teams get ten seconds to advance the ball from the back court to the front court. Following an offensive rebound the ball is already in the front court so the team does’t need those ten seconds.

Reactions: Bert Higginbotha
I think I prefer having halves, but it is pretty foolish to not have quarters considering every other level of the sports does it that way. Really no reason for the arbitrary difference .

Reactions: Bert Higginbotha
• The three-point line will be extended by approximately 1 foot 8 inches to the same distance used by FIBA for international competition (22 feet 1.75 inches).

• The free throw lane will be widened from 12 feet to 16 feet, consistent with the width used by the NBA.

• The games will be divided into four 10-minute quarters as opposed to two 20-minute halves. Teams will shoot two free throws beginning with the fifth foul of each quarter.

• The shot clock will reset to 20 seconds after an offensive rebound instead of the full 30 seconds.

https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-men/article/2018-02-27/experimental-rules-be-used-nit
I like those rules. Hopefully they will adopt them next year for all College Basketball.

Reactions: Green Haiku
The 3 point line does not need to be moved back. Players aren't going to shoot less 3's, just miss more 3's and shooting just isn't quality enough to warrant moving it back.

Quarters vs. halves is no big difference to me because we already have under 12 and under 8 timeouts.

Definitely a fan of the first three rules. I'm not sure I like the shot clock rule. Makes more sense to me if it hits the rim and you get the ball back, it should go back to the original thirty.

ADVERTISEMENT