ADVERTISEMENT

Expectations Heading into Conference Play

WojoRising

Jul 3, 2015
Where’s everybody at? (Pretend your normal and starting now B1G fans)

Personally, Duke’s exceeded my preseason expectations and I think they are, in fact, the best team in the country. Less than 13 wins and I’d be disappointed. I think Duke loses one to UNC, @ Virginia and @ FSU (@GEnole) and maybe one wildcard. All in all, I think it’s Duke’s to win, though.

I got Auburn at 14-4 and repeating as SEC champs. 15+ SEC wins would not surprise me at all though.

I haven’t seen a ton of other SEC teams, but I definitely think Auburn finishes with a gaudy record
SEC looks underwhelming at best. We play @ NC St next week probably the toughest game left on our schedule.

UT is good. Play them once at home.

Road games at UK, Miss St and LSU could be tough.

Probably lay an egg at some point but should stack a lot of Ws.

Personally, Duke’s exceeded my preseason expectations and I think they are, in fact, the best team in the country. Less than 13 wins and I’d be disappointed. I think Duke loses one to UNC, @ Virginia and @ FSU (@GEnole) and maybe one wildcard. All in all, I think it’s Duke’s to win, though.

I'd be very disappointed if this team has 5 losses in conference play. I'm predicting 16-2. Duke the favorite, with UVA and UNC tied for second.

Reactions: PHXDukie
I’m interested to see how Phil Cofer looks. In theory, it should be awesome adding last years leading scorer to the team that’s already top 15 in the country. But sometimes stuff like this ends up throwing off a team’s rhythm.

So we will see. I will say that Hamilton is an experienced coach who has dealt with roster situations like this before. So I’m cautiously optimistic.

For record, I’ll say 12-6 and a top 4 finish in the league.

I’m interested to see how Phil Cofer looks. In theory, it should be awesome adding last years leading scorer to the team that’s already top 15 in the country. But sometimes stuff like this ends up throwing off a team’s rhythm.

So we will see. I will say that Hamilton is an experienced coach who has dealt with roster situations like this before. So I’m cautiously optimistic.

For record, I’ll say 12-6 and a top 4 finish in the league.
So there’s a space. I literally tried tagging @GEnole @GE_Nole and @GENole before giving up.

If Duke loses their first road game to some shit team like Boston College again I'm killing myself. I do expect this team to go through some growing pains in conference play though.

I'm terrified of Kansas.

Have no idea how long they'll be Dokless, they've looked awful for long stretches..
Grimes, who?

Top 3 Big XII
4-6 losses

Reactions: sgrooms
Michigan is 10-0 with 9 double digit victories. The only close game was a 2 point win over northwestern. It goes to show how conference play can be really scrappy.

I’ll go with 15-3 over the remaining conference games which should put
Michigan’s record at:

30-3 (17-3)

Pretty crazy to type that.

Michigan is 10-0 with 9 double digit victories. The only close game was a 2 point win over northwestern. It goes to show how conference play can be really scrappy.

I’ll go with 15-3 over the remaining conference games which should put
Michigan’s record at:

30-3 (17-3)

Pretty crazy to type that.
I'd love nothing more than to say you're being ridiculous ,but from what we know right now...I think this is pretty spot on.

I think Michigan will lose @IU (the atmosphere will be amazing, and when the crowds into it...theres not many places harder to play)

@Michigan St. (Probably the 2nd best team)

And then 1 stupid WTF how'd they lose to them type games.

I'm terrified of Kansas.

Have no idea how long they'll be Dokless, they've looked awful for long stretches..
Grimes, who?

Top 3 Big XII
4-6 losses
4 wins the big 12 outright imo. 6....you’ll have some company. Agree we look like we are running on one or two engines most of the the time.

Reactions: KisteK
If Duke loses their first road game to some shit team like Boston College again I'm killing myself. I do expect this team to go through some growing pains in conference play though.

Duke's first road game is Wake. I know anything is possible in college basketball, but that just seems ridiculously unlikely. Wake's defense is terrible and Danny Manning seems to be in way over his head.

Duke's first road game is Wake. I know anything is possible in college basketball, but that just seems ridiculously unlikely. Wake's defense is terrible and Danny Manning seems to be in way over his head.

Yeah, I don't think we're losing to a team that has already lost to Richmond, Houston Baptist, and Saint Joseph's (by 20!). But who knows, maybe Davidson and Tennessee will toughen them up next week.

Reactions: PHXDukie
IDK. I'm hoping just for a top 5 finish tbh.

Top 5? As much as I'd like to see UNC struggle to end up in the top 5 of the ACC, I don't think you have much to worry about. 5th is probably worse case scenario.

Top 5? As much as I'd like to see UNC struggle to end up in the top 5 of the ACC, I don't think you have much to worry about. 5th is probably worse case scenario.

Maybe. I'm pretty down on this team though. I don't think they will improve nearly as much as Roy's teams usually do.

I haven’t seen a ton of other SEC teams, but I definitely think Auburn finishes with a gaudy record

I agree that Aub will be near the top. However, I don't think the SEC is easy. LSU, Bama, UF, UK are all difficult places and have talent to beat anyone on any night.

Expecting 14-4 from Aub seems like you are setting yourself up to be disappointed. Bruce's teams have traditionally been up and down. Injuries, suspensions, and cold shooting hits everyone.

SEC should be a battle between Tennessee and Auburn. I think I would slightly favor UT at this point.

I agree that Aub will be near the top. However, I don't think the SEC is easy. LSU, Bama, UF, UK are all difficult places and have talent to beat anyone on any night.

Expecting 14-4 from Aub seems like you are setting yourself up to be disappointed. Bruce's teams have traditionally been up and down. Injuries, suspensions, and cold shooting hits everyone.
The scientists at teamrankings.com project Auburn at over 14 wins and the prohibitive favorites to win the conference:

https://www.teamrankings.com/ncaa-basketball/team/auburn-tigers/projections

This is the best team Bruce has ever had so you can throw whatever has happened in the past out the window. Not sure these projections even account for an NBA talent in Purifoy coming into the mix.

Sure injuries and whatnot can happen but confidence is high for good reason.

The scientists at teamrankings.com project Auburn at over 14 wins and the prohibitive favorites to win the conference:

This is the best team Bruce has ever had so you can throw whatever has happened in the past out the window. Not sure these projections even account for an NBA talent in Purifoy coming into the mix.

Also helps that the SEC is pretty bad overall.

I have high expectations but little to base that on lol. I read an article titled, Calipari Needs Help, and I certainly agree with it. He spreads himself too thin trying to do it all and he's not producing the best product he can. The article goes on to say he needs a really good OC, and I agree with that. Our offense isn't and hasn't been as good as it needs to be. Cal is great for Kentucky, but its time to upgrade the assistant coaches and take some of the load off.

I would think Chris Lofton, Jujuan Smith, Tyler Smith, Wayne Chism, and JP Prince might have something to say about Bruce's "Best team ever".

Expect 12-8, think if things go really well we will end around 146. I think 10 wins would get us in because of our good non-con wins.

I'm terrified of Kansas.

Grimes, who?

Top 3 Big XII
4-6 losses

When I posted that Kansas has looked bad a lot this year I got told off by some Kansas fans.

Kansas might lose 4 but they’ll still win the big 12. No big threat this year and AFH is a huge advantage

As for FSU. I think we win 11. This is the most optimistic I’ve been in a long time.

When I posted that Kansas has looked bad a lot this year I got told off by some Kansas fans.

Kansas might lose 4 but they’ll still win the big 12. No big threat this year and AFH is a huge advantage

As for FSU. I think we win 11. This is the most optimistic I’ve been in a long time.

More optimistic than 2017 when we finished 2nd?

Also helps that the SEC is pretty bad overall.

While I don’t think it is what everyone was predicting so far, I don’t think it’s really any different than the BIG and Big12 (definitely better than the PAC). It still has a long ways to go to catch the ACC, but it is still a conference on the rise with the way recruiting is going in the league and with the added emphasis on coaching, facilities, etc...

While it has some retreads, it’s crazy that the SEC now has Calipari, Barnes, Howland, Pearl, Crean, Drew, Wade, Johnson, Anderson, Martin etc. That’s a far cry from a few years ago.

While I don’t think it is what everyone was predicting so far, I don’t think it’s really any different than the BIG and Big12 (definitely better than the PAC). It still has a long ways to go to catch the ACC, but it is still a conference on the rise with the way recruiting is going in the league and with the added emphasis on coaching, facilities, etc...

While it has some retreads, it’s crazy that the SEC now has Calipari, Barnes, Howland, Pearl, Crean, Drew, Wade, Johnson, Anderson, Martin etc. That’s a far cry from a few years ago.

The SEC has 6 teams in KenPom's top 50 (7 in the top 51). The Big 10 has 11 in the top 47.

The BIG, Big 12, and ACC are all significantly better than the SEC this year. Now, Auburn is very good. But the SEC simply isn't in the same conversation as the top 3.

The SEC has 6 teams in KenPom's top 50 (7 in the top 51). The Big 10 has 11 in the top 47.

The BIG, Big 12, and ACC are all significantly better than the SEC this year. Now, Auburn is very good. But the SEC simply isn't in the same conversation as the top 3.

At the time it’s not, but I believe the SEC will be even with those at worst (except the ACC) by years end IMO (especially the Big 12 who has 8 in the top 50)..

At the time it’s not, but I believe the SEC will be even with those at worst (except the ACC) by years end IMO (especially the Big 12 who has 8 in the top 50)..

The Big 12 only has 10 teams. So 80% of the league is in the top 50 and 100% are in the top 70. That means you never get a night off and practically any team can beat you if you aren't on your game. As an fan of an SEC team, surely you can relate to that in football (especially in the 2006-2011 era) and understand how that makes a conference very difficult.

I'm not saying the SEC is atrocious. It's obviously much better than a few years ago. There were a couple seasons where it wasn't even a top 5 conference. It certainly is now. All I'm saying is, a gap still exists between the top 3 and the SEC.

More optimistic than 2017 when we finished 2nd?

Yes. I wasn’t expecting that even with the talent we had heading into the season. My general goal each year is to make the tournament. I do a fantastic job of managing my expectations for hoops, unlike Football and baseball.

I’m excited to get cofer back. This team has been pretty impressive to me thus far. One of the things that seems a bit different is that we are more patient offensively and don’t settle as much as we have in the past.

Reactions: GE Nole
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT