ADVERTISEMENT

Every team's A game

I don’t know where Michigan’s A game ranks but Villanova, UNC, and Purdue have seen it.

I think Michigan absolutely has a team capable of winning a title. But interestingly, they aren’t one of the 12 teams that have a top 30 O and D.

I don’t know if I’d say a team has seen our A game yet. Maybe UF? Syracuse saw it for about 25 minutes.

I have a weird feeling KU’s going to make a run. Didn’t think they had a chance a month ago. But even Fran, a fairly notorious KU hater, said the same today.

Of course, it has a lot to do with the fact that there aren’t really any scary teams after Duke.

UNC's A game is dangerous just because their A game is knocking in craploads of threes. It isn't good enough to win it all but they could get to the FF if the matchups fall their way.

It’s not elite, but it’s still 23rd in the country. Tennessee’s D isn’t even top 50.
Thanks to the garbage conference they play in. Comparing their 3 common opponents, all top 7 offensive teams (Duke, UNC, and UT), Kentucky played much better defense overall and that includes the 118 points they gave up to Duke. Gonzaga is 1-2 in those games, UK is 2-1. Tennessee's non-top 50 D beat Gonzaga's #1 (scoring and FG%) offense.

I have a weird feeling KU’s going to make a run. Didn’t think they had a chance a month ago. But even Fran, a fairly notorious KU hater, said the same today.

Of course, it has a lot to do with the fact that there aren’t really any scary teams after Duke.

Kansas has certainly been very resilient and seems to have recovered nicely from azuibuike and Vick losses. Maybe some truth to the rumors Vick was a chemistry problem.

Kansas has certainly been very resilient and seems to have gotten recovered nicely from azuibuike and Vick losses. Maybe some truth to the rumors Vick was a chemistry problem.

The ball movement and offensive flow has been better without him so far. Plus, I don’t think he ever fully understood defensive switching.

I’d still take him back in a limited role. He took over a number of games with his outside shot.

Last edited:
Thanks to the garbage conference they play in. Comparing their 3 common opponents, all top 7 offensive teams (Duke, UNC, and UT), Kentucky played much better defense overall and that includes the 118 points they gave up to Duke. Gonzaga is 1-2 in those games, UK is 2-1. Tennessee's non-top 50 D beat Gonzaga's #1 (scoring and FG%) offense.

Gonzaga’s SOS is factored into their 23rd ranking. It’s all adjusted.

I hope they do go on a run before the NCAAT, it only helps UK's resume.

But you KU fans are ridiculous with the whole "Fran hates us" crap. That guy sucks KU off more than Vitale pumps duke.

I think Gonzaga’s A game beats UK’s A game.
Defense wins, compare their defensive efficiency rankings. It's not close.

I think Gonzaga is a great team, but that 23rd rated defense is going to be their downfall.

Defense wins, compare their defensive efficiency rankings. It's not close.

I think Gonzaga is a great team, but that 23rd rated defense is going to be their downfall.

That’s interesting coming from the guy who was incredulous that I didn’t include Tennessee in my top 5 most likely for Final Four, considering Tennessee doesn’t have a top 50 D.

Reactions: HRTheCard
New year same story for Gonzaga. That title game against UNC was their window and they let it close

That’s interesting coming from the guy who was incredulous that I didn’t include Tennessee in my top 5 most likely for Final Four, considering Tennessee doesn’t have a top 50 D.
Go back and read that conversation. It was more about the teams you had at 6 and 7.

Go back and read that conversation. It was more about the teams you had at 6 and 7.

Okay so where is the line drawn for the defensive rank? Obviously 7th is good enough in your mind, but 23rd isn’t. Is 9th good enough? 13th? 14th?

At one point does the defensive ranking reach a point that’s low enough they you can say with certainty that a team can’t win a title?

Okay so where is the line drawn for the defensive rank? Obviously 7th is good enough in your mind, but 23rd isn’t. Is 9th good enough? 13th? 14th?

At one point does the defensive ranking reach a point that’s low enough they you can say with certainty that a team can’t win a title?
Whatever we rank is the cutoff. Get with the program, Nole.

Reactions: GE Nole

Calm down.

There's a huge difference between the 7th best defensive team and the 23rd. I mean, that's not even up for debate.

Also, I thought it was a well known fact that, with the exception of the 2011 and 2014 UConn teams, that title teams over the last 20+ years rank better than 20th in O and D efficiency rankings.

I know that Gonzaga can bring that number up, but allowing San Diego to score 67 on you, when they rank 112th in offensive efficiency, won't help their numbers.

I just think their defense isn't strong enough, it's their weak point.

Also, they played 3 ranked teams this season, lost two of them. To me, they shouldn't be a 1 seed. But that's jmo.

Calm down.

There's a huge difference between the 7th best defensive team and the 23rd. I mean, that's not even up for debate.

Also, I thought it was a well known fact that, with the exception of the 2011 and 2014 UConn teams, that title teams over the last 20+ years rank better than 20th in O and D efficiency rankings.

I know that Gonzaga can bring that number up, but allowing San Diego to score 67 on you, when they rank 112th in offensive efficiency, won't help their numbers.

I just think their defense isn't strong enough, it's their weak point.

Also, they played 3 ranked teams this season, lost two of them. To me, they shouldn't be a 1 seed. But that's jmo.

Lol. You didn’t answer the question.

That stat of top 20 O and D, while very noteworthy, is AFTER the tournament is completed. Pretty reasonable to see that a team playing well enough to win 6 straight games on neutral courts against good competition will be playing well enough to elevate their statistical ranks.

Now, take a deep breath here because you seem like you are on the verge of being triggered or something. I’ll ask you again: in your opinion, where is the indelible line drawn between a D that’s good enough and a D that’s not? We’ve established that, in your opinion, 23rd is too low. Is 20 too low? 21?

Lol. You didn’t answer the question.

That stat of top 20 O and D, while very noteworthy, is AFTER the tournament is completed. Pretty reasonable to see that a team playing well enough to win 6 straight games on neutral courts against good competition will be playing well enough to elevate their statistical ranks.

Now, take a deep breath here because you seem like you are on the verge of being triggered or something. I’ll ask you again: in your opinion, where is the indelible line drawn between a D that’s good enough and a D that’s not? We’ve established that, in your opinion, 23rd is too low. Is 20 too low? 21?
I don't get why you are looking for some threshold in regards to efficiency numbers.

We.....check that, YOU we're comparing Gonzaga to UK. YOU stated that Gonzaga's best beats UK's best. I brought numbers to the table and apparently you don't like it.

The numbers show that UK has a far better defense than Gonzaga.

My question is, why are you asking for a threshold, when we were comparing two teams. Why did you change the topic?

In this case: 7>>23

I don't get why you are looking for some threshold in regards to efficiency numbers.

We.....check that, YOU we're comparing Gonzaga to UK. YOU stated that Gonzaga's best beats UK's best. I brought numbers to the table and apparently you don't like it.

The numbers show that UK has a far better defense than Gonzaga.

My question is, why are you asking for a threshold, when we were comparing two teams. Why did you change the topic?

In this case: 7>>23

I’m just curious to your opinion. Obviously 23 is not as good as 7. That’s a fact.

What you stated was, “that 23rd ranked defense is going to be their downfall.” That’s a subjective opinion, which I’m trying to learn more of your thoughts on the matter.

What rank does the D have to be to not be a downfall? If a team is 15th on D, would your opinion still be “that 15th ranked defense is going to be their downfall”?

You seem to have lots of basketball knowledge. Curious as to your opinion on what the cut off is for good enough vs not good enough D?

I’m just curious to your opinion. Obviously 23 is not as good as 7. That’s a fact.

What you stated was, “that 23rd ranked defense is going to be their downfall.” That’s a subjective opinion, which I’m trying to learn more of your thoughts on the matter.

What rank does the D have to be to not be a downfall? If a team is 15th on D, would your opinion still be “that 15th ranked defense is going to be their downfall”?

You seem to have lots of basketball knowledge. Curious as to your opinion on what the cut off is for good enough vs not good enough D?
The reason I say it will be their undoing, is there are just too many good teams out there that have top 10 to 15 efficiency numbers in both categories.

I just think 23rd is too low when compared to the others that are in contention.

It tells me that they might struggle to stop a team that has good offensive efficiency.

If I'm going to bet money on who will win this thing, I would not put my money on Gonzaga and it would be because that defensive efficiency number.

Compare their numbers to Michigan State, Duke, UVA, UK, Michigan, UNC, Texas Tech etc... I just put more weight on defensive efficiency than offensive efficiency, simply because defense travels, you can win more consistently when you have a great defense and an okay offense.

From my perspective, it's much harder to win consistently when it's the other way around .

If I'm going to bet money on who will win this thing, I would not put my money on Gonzaga and it would be because that defensive efficiency number.

If you can only bet on one team, putting your money on anyone but Duke right now is pretty stupid.

Reactions: sgrooms and GE Nole
The reason I say it will be their undoing, is there are just too many good teams out there that have top 10 to 15 efficiency numbers in both categories.

I just think 23rd is too low when compared to the others that are in contention.

It tells me that they might struggle to stop a team that has good offensive efficiency.

Compare their numbers to Michigan State, Duke, UVA, UK, Michigan, UNC, Texas Tech etc... I just put more weight on defensive efficiency than offensive efficiency, simply because defense travels, you can win more consistently when you have a great defense and an okay offense.

From my perspective, it's much harder to win consistently when it's the other way around .

I understand all of this. Truly. I grasp how numbers work. All I’m asking you to do is tell me your opinion on what number is good enough that wouldn’t give you pause. It’s not a difficult concept. You can literally pick any number that is between 1 and 23. Stop being difficult and answer the question.

And FWIW, a team’s average performance isn’t a direct correlation to their best. So it is possible for a team’s “A” game to be far above what their season long average is. Some teams have much greater variance than others.

Reactions: dukedevilz
I hope they do go on a run before the NCAAT, it only helps UK's resume.

But you KU fans are ridiculous with the whole "Fran hates us" crap. That guy sucks KU off more than Vitale pumps duke.

He’s been complimentary of KU lately, but he’s been very passive aggressive toward them in the past. I doubt you’ve watched every KU game that he’s been part of.

It’s been a striking contrast. As if someone told him to lay off.

If you can only bet on one team, putting your money on anyone but Duke right now is pretty stupid.
Oh no doubt. But that strengthens my argument. Look at their numbers. They're top 4 in both categories.

That's obscene.

But if I was to place money on the 8 teams I thought had a chance, Gonzaga wouldn't make the cut.

I would pick Texas Tech, Wisconsin and KU before I picked Gonzaga.

Also, look at Tennessee. They are #2 in offensive efficiency, but FIFTY THIRD in Defensive efficiency.

I just think defense is more important than offense.

I understand all of this. Truly. I grasp how numbers work. All I’m asking you to do is tell me your opinion on what number is good enough that wouldn’t give you pause. It’s not a difficult concept. You can literally pick any number that is between 1 and 23. Stop being difficult and answer the question.

And FWIW, a team’s average performance isn’t a direct correlation to their best. So it is possible for a team’s “A” game to be far above what their season long average is. Some teams have much greater variance than others.
15th would be my number unless you have a top 5 offense (which Gonzaga has). In that case, I would push it to 20.

But again, UConn bucked that trend twice. They had incredible guard play, not great, incredible. Gonzaga doesn't have that and now they don't have Tillie.

But again, I'm just comparing them to all the other teams that can legit win the title. Their defensive number sticks out like a more thumb to me.

Reactions: GE Nole
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT