Every McKenzie Milton Touchdown at UCF

Discussion in 'College Football Soundoff' started by Kace-1, Nov 28, 2018.

1. Kace-1

Kace-1 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

@UCFhonors, @KnightNasty, and other UCF fans may find this bittersweet, given Milton's injury issues, but hey it's an opportunity to appreciate the sound and glory of arguably the Knights' best quarterback.

2. ArmyVetIRISHfan

ArmyVetIRISHfan Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

That's classy. I know we all talk smack on Rivals but this is cool. It's a reminder that there are things bigger than sports.

UCFBS, LO6IC, SIhoosier26 and 2 others like this.
  3. UCFhonors

UCFhonors Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Touching OPie. Great QB and a even a better kid.

#UCFacts

SmokinSmile

4. KnightNasty

KnightNasty Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for posting, but I can't watch this. Made it 2 plays in and had to stop...

UCFBS and UCFhonors like this.
  5. RedGentDawg

RedGentDawg Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

That kid is a gamer. I hate to see what happened to him recently and wish him a full recovery.

Serious question, how good is your backup?

6. KnightNasty

Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

We don’t *really* know. He’s a redshirt freshman. We’re scoring over 30ppg in the 2 games he’s played so that’s good. He’s a different type of QB though. Milton is a surgeon in the passing game with some of the best touch and accuracy in the country. Mack is better measurables wise... much bigger, actually faster/better runner, and a stronger arm. That said, he doesn’t have the passing skills Milton does (though not many do). He’s probably a guy that will run a lot and then take shots deep...

7. RedGentDawg

RedGentDawg Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

I see, so big upside but unproven/unrefined as of now.

That's a shame. I was really hoping for an outside shot of a healthy undefeated UCF to try and shake things up. I'm in favor of anything that expedites us towards a larger playoff.

KnightNasty likes this.
  8. Poolside Knight

Poolside Knight Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

thanks for posting

Tortilla Launcher likes this.
  9. KnightNasty

Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

McKenzie Milton has insisted on FaceTiming during meetings from the hospital to still help and be part of the QB room in preparation for Memphis this weekend. I love this kid...

9 KnightNasty, Nov 28, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2018
    Tortilla Launcher likes this.
  10. UCFBS

UCFBS Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

RS Freshman Mack Jr. was a consensus (all rating sites) 3-star out of Virginia (which is typical top range for a good G5 program like UCF, with 4-stars still extremely rare). He had several, although all local, P5 offers -- notably, all of them, Maryland, Pitt, Virginia, VT and WVU.
    • Rivals HS Draft Profile:
    UCF has typically gone for, at a minimum, within 1" of his size and 15lbs. of his weight (6'2"+, 200lbs+) in a QB -- Daunte Culpepper and Blake Bortles being two, best known and biggest examples, but there are many others, from Steven Moffit to Justin Holman. George O'Leary had a knack for finding 2-3 star "beef" that could be "developed." Milton was more of an outlier, one that paid real dividends when Oregon didn't sign him, and he was looking to Hawaii over Navy (his other offers) ... with Frost coming in from Oregon (Frost recruited him).

I.e., UCF typically never drafts QBs as small as Milton, because UCF usually had had very poor results with such.

The good news is that Mack Jr. knows the system, and started the ECU game, the best I've ever seen of anyone thrown-into-the-fire -- a credit to HC Heupel and QBC Beedle as much as Mack himself. Usually a backup comes in the first and second, unexpected times, and has trouble running the same offense and maintaining the same tempo, at least not without procedural penalties.

Mack Jr. played some at UConn and others, before USF -- showcasing he can keep up the tempo, at least against much lesser competition -- and not just during 'garbage time' where the clock is being 'run-out.' He's shown flashes executing the RPO as good as Milton, while's he bigger and can be faster too (definitely stride-wise).

The biggest unknown and justified concern with Mack Jr. is literally game-time experience using the pass to open up the run. Although UCF wasn't ahead by much during the USF game, the separation literally came because USF was 'getting tired.' Similarly was the case of ECU as well, UCF not pulling away until the ground game was literally running over the other team.

It wasn't the pass doing such, although Mack Jr. has hit a long bomb in several games, albeit usually with 2-3 attempts, to keep the defense honest. I.e., Mack Jr. has had to deal with 7+ in-the-box every time he's played, which isn't an issue late in the game, clean-up, but was at ECU and USF. At ECU, it took a full quarter for him to 'settle down,' whereas he was better at USF.

UCF's ability to run against a stout defense will really be on the shoulders of Mack Jr.'s ability to open up the passing game, or at least scramble out of a spread. He has the raw talent and ability, that is for certain. But even USF got him behind-the-LOS on designed runs and scrambles. His pocket presence is improving, and experience does that, just like Milton had to learn his first year as well -- when Milton wasn't the named starter either, but senior Justin Holman was not 100%. Milton's Freshman year was filled with mistakes that Mack Jr. has made as well, although I feel not quite as many.

So while UCF should beat Memphis, the NY bowl game will be the question. Unless UCF draws Oklahoma or West Virginia, a solid defense -- like several from the SEC -- could give him fits. Mack Jr.'s really limited by his experience at this point, and how much he can develop. It's a tall order to ask him to develop so quickly.

But as is very likely the case for 2019 as well, he's going to be asked to just that, now ... in late 2018.

10 UCFBS, Nov 28, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2018
    UCFhonors likes this.
  11. KnightNasty

Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

KZ in the QB room today from the hospital...

[​IMG]

UCFhonors and Tortilla Launcher like this.
  12. collegefbfan2017

collegefbfan2017 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

In sure someone probably told him to 'break a leg' against USF since the outcome was so important and he's a devil to detail.

13. Knight_Light

Knight_Light Active Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Those shown in that video are just his FIRST 92 TD's...can't wait to see more in the future!!

UCFhonors likes this.
  14. collegefbfan2017

Expand Collapse

Dies anyone have his passer rating? Us it comparable to Tua? His was over 200. At least that was what I was told. 200 passer rating, Tia Tugliaiva.

15. Kace-1

Kace-1 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

According to Sports Reference, Milton has a 161 passer rating for this season and 152.3 overall.

DeputyDodge and collegefbfan2017 like this.
  16. collegefbfan2017

Expand Collapse

That's a good reference. I highly recommend it. In utilizing it in an attempt to unify the national championship. So far so good! 200 passer rating is phenomenal, two players are meeting that metric. I think,the initiator wanted a 100 passer rating to top out
    At least that was fur the professionals of it. Is it the same metric? Hard to believe 200 is the norm for a top player maybe it needs revision. I noticed a strong parallel between top teams and the quarterback. UCF is #11.

UCFhonors likes this.
  17. KnightNasty

Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

[​IMG]

vs540husker and collegefbfan2017 like this.
  18. Red Burns Brighter

Red Burns Brighter Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Should be the Heisman Trophy winner. I make no excuses for UCF. They can complain about not getting into the CFP, Not getting recognized as a national champion. They didn’t deserve or earn either. But Milton is the best QB in the country I have seen the last two years. He should win the Heisman Trophy period.

KnightNasty likes this.
  19. collegefbfan2017

Expand Collapse

#11 as far as the ratings go.