ADVERTISEMENT

Ever Seen a Game Where the Score was 2 - 0 Before the Clock Starts?

I think the NCAA did away with that rule years ago.

Happens a couple times every year.

Gotta be one of the most pointless rules ever. Really not much reason for it to exist. Not sure why it was even created.
Backboards breaking during warm-ups, rims being damaged, etc, etc...Plus injury. Sure this can happen during a game as well....BUT----when you have 10 guys constantly dunking, hanging on the rim, etc, etc...during a 20 minute warm-up, it can cause issues, more so than the game.

Backboards breaking during warm-ups, rims being damaged, etc, etc...Plus injury. Sure this can happen during a game as well....BUT----when you have 10 guys constantly dunking, hanging on the rim, etc, etc...during a 20 minute warm-up, it can cause issues, more so than the game.

But they dunk countless times in the hour before the 20 minute pre-tip-off window. Wear and tear was maybe an issue before breakaway rims, but those things can withstand plenty of abuse. There’s no way that could be the reason, imo. Likewise, you have as much a chance of hurting yourself during a layup as you do during a dunk, so I don’t see the injury angle. Unless we’re counting hand contusions?

It’s either an outdated rule for inferior/less durable equipment or... idk. It feels outdated or a rule for the sake of having a rule. Maybe there’s a taunting angle to this?

Reminds me of a football rule I could never wrap my head around in high school. I got scolded during a scrimmage for wearing 3/4” cleats. The ref had a special little tool for measuring them and everything. He was dumbfounded that I had the audacity to think the extra quarter inch was legal lol, and asked where I got them (off the rack at a store). It felt like he thought I was going to say I found them on the black market in Syria. He couldn’t explain why they were illegal, just that they were. I never got an answer and it still baffles me. Did they think you could puncture skin with those things? Cuz ya can’t; they’re too blunt. If they thought you could, did they think the extra quarter inch was the difference between life and death? Again, no. The extra traction would increase knee injuries? Show me that study, lol.

Some rules are just arbitrary, it seems. Once they’re on the books, it’s hard to take them off.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
But they dunk countless times in the hour before the 20 minute pre-tip-off window. Wear and tear was maybe an issue before breakaway rims, but those things can withstand plenty of abuse. There’s no way that could be the reason, imo. Likewise, you have as much a chance of hurting yourself during a layup as you do during a dunk, so I don’t see the injury angle. Unless we’re counting hand contusions?

It’s either an outdated rule for inferior/less durable equipment or... idk. It feels outdated or a rule for the sake of having a rule. Maybe there’s a taunting angle to this?

Reminds me of a football rule I could never wrap my head around in high school. I got scolded during a scrimmage for wearing 3/4” cleats. The ref had a special little tool for measuring them and everything. He was dumbfounded that I had the audacity to think the extra quarter inch was legal lol, and asked where I got them (off the rack at a store). It felt like he thought I was going to say I found them on the black market in Syria. He couldn’t explain why they were illegal, just that they were. I never got an answer and it still baffles me. Did they think you could puncture skin with those things? Cuz ya can’t; they’re too blunt. If they thought you could, did they think the extra quarter inch was the difference between life and death? Again, no. The extra traction would increase knee injuries? Show me that study, lol.

Some rules are just arbitrary, it seems. Once they’re on the books, it’s hard to take them off.
It is no longer a rule...I was just telling you the reason for it. Main thing was injury. More of a safety issue. Plus, there were times where teams would start to talk smack, while dunking during pre-game. Its mute now.

Reactions: brooky03
Even better....About 5 years ago, we had a Regional semi-final game. With 2 seconds to go, kid takes two dribbles, lets her fly----BANG!! It goes in. But its late(Man was it close). But we wave it off immediately. OT. But, well, wait...Head coach is fumed over the call, walks over to us, points at me, and say's--"You fcvking suck".

BANG....Technical foul. Fans go wild. They think---Just one FT, and we win. Kid hits the first---Folks go nuts.

Slow down folks. Game ain't over. MOF, we got OT to play. Yeah, that's right OT.

So, long story short---We start the OT with 2 techs. Kid hits them both. Team that got the technical, ends up winning.

Fun times.

Reactions: Random UK Fan
It is no longer a rule...I was just telling you the reason for it. Main thing was injury. More of a safety issue. Plus, there were times where teams would start to talk smack, while dunking during pre-game. Its mute now.

I agree with everything you said...except I think you mean moot?

Reactions: IUfanBorden
Even better....About 5 years ago, we had a Regional semi-final game. With 2 seconds to go, kid takes two dribbles, lets her fly----BANG!! It goes in. But its late(Man was it close). But we wave it off immediately. OT. But, well, wait...Head coach is fumed over the call, walks over to us, points at me, and say's--"You fcvking suck".

BANG....Technical foul. Fans go wild. They think---Just one FT, and we win. Kid hits the first---Folks go nuts.

Slow down folks. Game ain't over. MOF, we got OT to play. Yeah, that's right OT.

So, long story short---We start the OT with 2 techs. Kid hits them both. Team that got the technical, ends up winning.

Fun times.
You give technicals out for people telling you that you suck at a point in the game like that?

Weak.

You give technicals out for people telling you that you suck at a point in the game like that?

Weak.
When you go out of your way to walk over to me, and say--"You FCVKING suck", you're god damn right I'm whacking you. Had he just said---"You suck"---Or even said so from a distance---I let it go. But when you walk 20 feet to do so? Naaah---I'm not dealing with that. Where we are at in the game is irrelevant. If you don't want a technical called---don't walk 20 feet over to an official, and tell him he ****ing sucks. Pretty avoidable.

When you go out of your way to walk over to me, and say--"You FCVKING suck", you're god damn right I'm whacking you. Had he just said---"You suck"---Or even said so from a distance---I let it go. But when you walk 20 feet to do so? Naaah---I'm not dealing with that. Where we are at in the game is irrelevant. If you don't want a technical called---don't walk 20 feet over to an official, and tell him he ****ing sucks. Pretty avoidable.
This is why people think refs have such thin skin. You should be prepared to not overreact when somebody calls you out for something they think is a questionable call.

This is why people think refs have such thin skin. You should be prepared to not overreact when somebody calls you out for something they think is a questionable call.
Riiiiiiight. I'm good in my skin, bro. No issues. Technical was warranted. As i said---Whe n he decided to walk over to me---some 20 feet away---And say what he did? Meh---I just assumed he wanted some attention---So I gave it to him.

If some of you had any idea what we do put up with---You'd be shocked more technicals aren't called. Look, saying " a call sucks....this or that---opposed to saying "you susck", is a tad different. Coach is making personal. When he adds< "fcking" to it? Naah---can't let that go. Especially when he damn near walks half way across the floor to do so.

BTW---In 31 games last year--- 7 technical fouls. Two were administrative. In 40 HS games---3 technical fouls. 71 games---10 tech's. Waaaay on the low end, bro.

Riiiiiiight. I'm good in my skin, bro. No issues. Technical was warranted. As i said---Whe n he decided to walk over to me---some 20 feet away---And say what he did? Meh---I just assumed he wanted some attention---So I gave it to him.

If some of you had any idea what we do put up with---You'd be shocked more technicals aren't called. Look, saying " a call sucks....this or that---opposed to saying "you susck", is a tad different. Coach is making personal. When he adds< "fcking" to it? Naah---can't let that go. Especially when he damn near walks half way across the floor to do so.

BTW---In 31 games last year--- 7 technical fouls. Two were administrative. In 40 HS games---3 technical fouls. 71 games---10 tech's. Waaaay on the low end, bro.
Still shouldn’t have made the call at that point of the game.

Tell us the worst thing you’ve had to put up with.

First tell us the worst thing you’ve had to put up with.
To many. Fans don't see a lot of the interactions between coaches/officials. Nor do they hear it. Its why I laugh, when some of you call officials thinned skinned---Yet you have no idea what the coach said---Or may have said earlier. Or how many times he said it. All you see is the "T", that probably culminated from a multitude of things.

I love it though. Nothing beats the rush.

ADVERTISEMENT