ADVERTISEMENT

Evansville winless vs. MVC, 1-0 vs. SEC

jhmossy

Aug 9, 2017
Team
Virginia
giphy.gif

I don’t blame Walter one bit. Got to relive his college days, running the coeds through left and right, on his way out. What a legend.

I believe their coach had some off court problems - that's obviously going to wreck a season.

I understand something like that could derail a team, but did it make them winless in the MVC bad? Did a bunch of players enter the portal mid season or something?

From the surface this looks like a Chaminade level upset for UK unless there is something more here.

Reactions: Noahtogo24
If it wasn’t for that loss we are a one seed for sure. Sucks for the teams in our bracket that the fluke loss will held with that much regard to knock us back a seed line or two.

Worse loss we’ve taken in my 30+ years of watching.

What makes it even more stunning is Cal’s previously pristine record against mid majors. In the 10 seasons prior at UK he had one loss to a mid major and only 2 to non power five teams(2014 UConn was not a power 5 team but they weren’t exactly a mid major either). And the lone loss was a road game in the first round of the nit in a season our best player went down with an acl.

not only did we lose to a mid major. We lost at home. And then lost to another one on a neutral court two weeks later.

I would not be surprised to see this UK team get knocked off in the first round. Hasn’t happened under Cal at UK. But this team has already shown they can lose to anyone and are prone to playing down to the level of competition.

If it wasn’t for that loss we are a one seed for sure. Sucks for the teams in our bracket that the fluke loss will held with that much regard to knock us back a seed line or two.

Even with the Utah loss?

Reactions: UL_1986
Of course it’s never good to lose to a 100+ ranked team. Just don’t think only Evansville moves you guys from a 4 seed to a 1 seed.

nah. I don’t think so either. We’d be a two. But Kansas, Baylor, Duke are definitely still ahead of us. Maybe Gonzaga and SDSU too fair or not. Possibly Dayton. Maryland. Utah and SC aren’t terrible losses but bad enough to hurt when measured against other 1 seed candidates.

we’d still have a shot at a 1 seed. Even if we win out at this point our ceiling is a 2. Honestly we shouldn’t have lost either of the Evansville or Utah games. Team just didn’t come to play in either game.

Reactions: Da_Bull
Of course it’s never good to lose to a 100+ ranked team. Just don’t think only Evansville moves you guys from a 4 seed to a 1 seed.
It definitely doesn't. Of course it all depends what all the other teams do, but I think the ceiling for UK is a 3 (outside shot at a 2 if they were to win out with a lot of help).

Reactions: Bert Higginbotha
Just a wild year seeding will be interesting how they compare the other conferences to the B1G thanks to their OOC games. Computer models vs the selection committees. I mean KP has a 5 loss UK team behind a 14 loss Purdue team. One of the weirdest years in a while.

Reactions: kyjeff1

A one seed for sure?

Even if you scratch that game, you have one win over a team that’s currently ranked and multiple losses to unranked teams. Doesn’t really scream guaranteed one seed.

Exactly and that's the norm for Virginia basketball. Welcome back to reality.

I wouldn't say it's the norm considering we have earned 4 1 seeds in the last 6 years. Sure, we underachieved in the tournament for a lot of those years. Kentucky sure knows what that's like lately. Haven't won a title since 2012 and haven't been to a Final Four since 2015. That's awful for a team who has a top 2 recruiting class each year. Pretty sure you guys lost in the 1st round of the NIT the year after you won it all. We're in pretty good shape to make the tourney at least.

I wouldn't say it's the norm considering we have earned 4 1 seeds in the last 6 years. Sure, we underachieved in the tournament for a lot of those years. Kentucky sure knows what that's like lately. Haven't won a title since 2012 and haven't been to a Final Four since 2015. That's awful for a team who has a top 2 recruiting class each year. Pretty sure you guys lost in the 1st round of the NIT the year after you won it all. We're in pretty good shape to make the tourney at least.

It's been a good run for the vags. But now it's back to reality.

Reactions: catman111
The Evansville loss is the worst loss in the history of UK.... ...... sucks but I'd like to thank UNC for having such a laugh of a season that it takes the sting off our Evansville loss.

Just a wild year seeding will be interesting how they compare the other conferences to the B1G thanks to their OOC games. Computer models vs the selection committees. I mean KP has a 5 loss UK team behind a 14 loss Purdue team. One of the weirdest years in a while.
Its because Purdue actually blows out decent teams sometimes while UK plays all of its mediocre opponents close. Purdue lays eggs all the time while UK manages to keep winning the close games.

I don't think either is a recipe for a long March run but yeah its one of the more interesting disparities between a team's record and their efficiency metrics that you"ll see.

No worries. Their lucky run is over and both vag fans will disappear like they did after losing to a 16 seed.
Cool story bro...you do realize UVA has owned the ACC and Louisville for the most part since Bennett was hired.

Louisville is much more likely to go back to being irrelevant than UVA is.

Reactions: jhmossy
No worries. Their lucky run is over and both vag fans will disappear like they did after losing to a 16 seed.
ehh Virginia isn't great this year but I don't see them falling off too much, they have some good pieces coming in next season.

Reactions: jhmossy
Cool story bro...you do realize UVA has owned the ACC and Louisville for the most part since Bennett was hired.

Louisville is much more likely to go back to being irrelevant than UVA is.
He's a UK fan. But I agree with you. Laughing

ADVERTISEMENT