ADVERTISEMENT

ESPN's Way Too Early Top 25 (Updated Today)

duckboy33

May 3, 2009
Eugene, OR
Team
Oregon
A10:
Richmond (25th nationally)

AAC:
Houston (14th nationally)

ACC:
Virginia (4th nationally)
Duke (7th nationally)
North Carolina (16th nationally)
Florida State (22nd nationally)
Louisville (Next in line)

Big 12:
Baylor (3rd nationally)
Kansas (6th nationally)
Texas Tech (11th nationally)
West Virginia (23rd nationally)
Texas (Next in line)

Big East:
Villanova (1st nationally)
Creighton (12th nationally)

Big Ten:
Iowa (5th nationally)
Michigan State (8th nationally)
Wisconsin (9th nationally)
Ohio State (17th nationally)
Rutgers (24th nationally)
Michigan (Next in line)

PAC 12:
Arizona State (10th nationally)
Oregon (18th nationally)
Stanford (20th nationally)
UCLA (Next in line)

SEC:
Tennessee (13th nationally)
Kentucky (15th nationally)
Florida (19th nationally)
Arkansas (21st nationally)
LSU (Next in line)

WCC:
Gonzaga (2nd nationally)

Reactions: KisteK
I'm surprised that UCLA isn't ranked. They were playing great at the end of the year and have good returning pieces with a good recruiting class.

The Pac 12 certainly made some moves last week though. If Terry comes back to Stanford, that would be huge and would make them a top 10-15 team. But I don't think he will.

I'm surprised that UCLA isn't ranked. They were playing great at the end of the year and have good returning pieces with a good recruiting class.

The Pac 12 certainly made some moves last week though. If Terry comes back to Stanford, that would be huge and would make them a top 10-15 team. But I don't think he will.

The PAC should be sneaky good next year.

Oregon, Stanford, UCLA and Arizona State are top 20 caliber teams in my mind. I like UCLA and Oregon as the conference favorites because of coaching. Cronin appears to be the perfect fit for UCLA.

USC will always have talent but can Enfield do anything with it?

Arizona won't go completely away but I don't think it's going to be a banner year for them. Solid Tournament team.

Colorado has enough talent to be a tournament team.

Utah's Coach K does a solid job so they won't be an easy out. Not an overly talented team though.

Washington is a big question mark. Hopkins didn't forget how to coach last year, just too many freshmen and too much instability. They should be better next year.

Wazzu has a coach now so they could take a step forward, probably not to the NCAAs

Beavers will be a tough out but they won't win anything.

Cal is going to suck.

With what Rutgers has coming back and their freshmen center coming on board, I'm not surprised they are in the top 25. I haven't followed Louisville recently, don't know what they have.
Not as deep as we were last year, but have a good solid core of David Johnson, Sam Williamson and Malik Williams coming back. Mixed with two top grad transfers in Carlik Jones and Charles Minlend. We have a decent bench with Aidan Igiehon, Jaylen Withers, Josh Nickelberry, and Quinn Slazinski. I feel like this team is talented enough to break into the top 25 by December. Only position that’s really unproven is our PF position, but people keep saying Withers is the proven candidate.

Reactions: duckboy33
With what Rutgers has coming back and their freshmen center coming on board, I'm not surprised they are in the top 25. I haven't followed Louisville recently, don't know what they have.
It's a mixed bag.

Palm has Iowa has a 2 seed,
based on Garza coming back, one has Iowa as a 5 seed if he doesn't.

Iowa will still be a high scoring team with or with out Luka, the guards will be quicker and more athletic than years past,
JW and CM were very solid defemders, the question will be who plays the 5. does Fran go small at all 5 position or does he go 4 G and 1 big with 7' Nunge in the middle, Nunge looked quicker than Luka and as a fr had 25 blocks 2nd to Luka and 21 steals 3rd behind Baer who had 27 and JBo with 22.

plus he was 5th on the team in scoring.

Kansas will actually be plug and pay.....oops. Play. I can’t imagine our roster not being top 3 within the first couple games of the season. Baylor will be a formidable opponent though. Coming off a title year it’s nice to be one of the favs.

Last edited:
We will be fine. I’m glad you’re thinking about us, though..
I'm thinking about you. Gonzaga has scheduled OOC pretty well but a lot of the teams don't appear to be peaking next year. I was hoping that beating you in Orlando would mean something.

Their OOC next year is Washnington, Arizona, Texas, Texas Tech, Orlando invitational where they get wins over Auburn and MSU and then a rumored game against USC in Portland.

A lot of great names on that OOC but I only see two teams that are currently ranked in Texas Tech and MSU.

I'm thinking about you. Gonzaga has scheduled OOC pretty well but a lot of the teams don't appear to be peaking next year. I was hoping that beating you in Orlando would mean something.

Their OOC next year is Washnington, Arizona, Texas, Texas Tech, Orlando invitational where they get wins over Auburn and MSU and then a rumored game against USC in Portland.

A lot of great names on that OOC but I only see two teams that are currently ranked in Texas Tech and MSU.

Looking forward to possibly the youngest team in AU history getting a chance at an early season upset...

Is hawkit making it his goal to get in fights with random fan bases on this board?

Kansas
Oregon

I'm sure I'm missing some other ones. No fight to pick with Iowa but he's been going after people

Reactions: duckboy33
I guess they like wasting their money.
they are banking on Garza returning.. it also doesn't hurt by having the team with either a 2 seed or 3 seed in the to early brackets.

2 years ago as a 10 seed the #2 seed needed OT to beat them, this team is far batter than that team. the biggest are
Garza as a SO now he will be a SR
JBo was a JR playing on a bad hip this fall he will be a RSSR and fully healthy for the 1st time in the last 3 seasons
Weezy was just a FR this season he will be a JR
Connor was a RSFR now will be a RSJR.
Toussaint and Fredrick will have a full season of playing in the BT under their belts. where they got a baptism by fire so to speak,

W/O Nunge or JBo's scoring Fran has 60.8 ppg returning out of 77.7 ppg
before they got lost for the season they avg'd 14.8 ppg That means they return 75.6 ppg out of 77.7 ppg.
from a team that ended up #5 in adjusted O.
last season Iowa adj D at its highest was #76. the defense this year will better, with more athletes and more bodies so the starters won't get wore out at the end of the season like they have in the past.

You couldn't even set the puzzle up correctly. Stick to corn and wrestling.
this years team on paper are better than the 2 years under Lute when the shared the BT Championship with the Magic led MSU Spartons, the following season reached the FF.

in Dr. Tom's 1st season the Iowa team reached the Elite 8 they only finished in 3rd place with a 14-4 BT record. in the 96-97 they went 12-6 and finished in a tie for 2nd for their highest finish
Dr. Tom had 1 2nd
4 3rd
2 4th
3 5th
1 7th
1 8th
1 9th

10 times finishing in the top half of the BT WHEN there were only 10 teams out of his 13 seasons. to bad he was run off so Bowlsby could bring in another coach to take Iowa to muliple BT Championships and multiple FF. STATING THAT IT WAS THEIR RIGHT to expect these results.

he hired Indiana's GOLDEN BOY Steve Alford [SickSick] and now you know the rest of the story. it is from these burning ashes that Fran has had to pull Iowa out of.

this years team on paper are better than the 2 years under Lute when the shared the BT Championship with the Magic led MSU Spartons, the following season reached the FF.

in Dr. Tom's 1st season the Iowa team reached the Elite 8 they only finished in 3rd place with a 14-4 BT record. in the 96-97 they went 12-6 and finished in a tie for 2nd for their highest finish
Dr. Tom had 1 2nd
4 3rd
2 4th
3 5th
1 7th
1 8th
1 9th

10 times finishing in the top half of the BT WHEN there were only 10 teams out of his 13 seasons. to bad he was run off so Bowlsby could bring in another coach to take Iowa to muliple BT Championships and multiple FF. STATING THAT IT WAS THEIR RIGHT to expect these results.

he hired Indiana's GOLDEN BOY Steve Alford [SickSick] and now you know the rest of the story. it is from these burning ashes that Fran has had to pull Iowa out of.

Good luck getting past the first weekend in March. Would be a huge step for Iowa.

Good luck getting past the first weekend in March. Would be a huge step for Iowa.
not really getting a top 4 seed means you avoid a top 4 seed in the 1st weekend. betting a 7 or 10 seed is not conducive to winning the 2nd game.

even this YEAR they were bouncing between a 5 or 6 seed both would have meant they would avoid playing a 2 seed in the 2nd rnd.

not really getting a top 4 seed means you avoid a top 4 seed in the 1st weekend. betting a 7 or 10 seed is not conducive to winning the 2nd game.

even this YEAR they were bouncing between a 5 or 6 seed both would have meant they would avoid playing a 2 seed in the 2nd rnd.

The higher seed you get, the easier your opponent should be theoretically. That's how the seeding works.

The higher seed you get, the easier your opponent should be theoretically. That's how the seeding works.

Well no shit Sherlock, lol. You don't thing playing in the Big 10 has something to do with that? The Big 10 is not like the garbage PAC 12

ADVERTISEMENT