ADVERTISEMENT

Emoni Bates

If not for injuries, Oden would have been flat out dominant. That dude was sickening good. Very deserving of the ranking he got. And would have been just as valuable as KD.

Even though Florida won the 07 Title, it was very obvious that they struggled mightily to check Oden. They were throwing Joakim Noah, Al Horford, and Mareese Spreights at him - 3 bigs that have all played 10+ years in the league. Oden made all 3 of those guys look like the little brother.

It makes a lot more sense that Michigan has a chance with Burnett, than any school has a chance with a generational talent that is expected to go #1 in whatever year he enters the draft, especially when many expect that rule to change when he would be eligible.

Stopped reading after this because this was why I thought him having any hope for Bates was funny. I'm sorry you wasted your time with the rest of that post.

Even though Florida won the 07 Title, it was very obvious that they struggled mightily to check Oden. They were throwing Joakim Noah, Al Horford, and Mareese Spreights at him - 3 bigs that have all played 10+ years in the league. Oden made all 3 of those guys look like the little brother.
I worked 2 games of Odens in HS. An absolute monster. His mobility was unreal. Unless you seen this kid up front, there's no justifying just how athletic and fluid he was. He and Conley were unbelievable.

Bates has already stated that it is his goal to go straight to the NBA lol.

Bates will likely reclassify and play one year at MSU.

Yea..... highly doubt that.

I think he goes straight to the NBA. Or possibly even overseas or works a endorsement deal to make money ($1m+ like Bazley) for a year. In the small chance that he does decide to go to college, there is a small chance that school is MSU.

I'd put going to any college at less than 1% chance.

Reactions: FFWhite
He goes to basically every MSU game. Great relationship with true staff. If he does go to college, it will probably be at MSU, but chances are that ain’t gonna happen.

He actually lead his team to a state championship his freshman year.

Real chance he reclassifies and gets a year of college in to get more ready for the pros.

Don’t know about those comparisons but he IS really, really good. Has been on Izzo’s radar for some time and they have a great relationship.
Will never play for Izzo unless Izzo goes to the NBA.

Correct. Florida had no clue what to do with him.

Reactions: dukedevilz

25 & 12 against them. Oden was unreal. If he and Roy aren't made of glass the last decade of the NBA might look quite differently tbh.

If oden had stayed healthy do most of y’all think he woulda have had a better career than Dwight Howard? That’s really the only person I can think of to compare him to in this era since the Center position has been so devalued in the nba.

If oden had stayed healthy do most of y’all think he woulda have had a better career than Dwight Howard? That’s really the only person I can think of to compare him to in this era since the Center position has been so devalued in the nba.

Who

Reactions: FFWhite
Bates will likely reclassify and play one year at MSU.

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/...bates-sports-illustrated-si-cover/2497506001/

Of the three scenarios you outlined — turning pro after his senior year; signing with Nike next year and waiting for the 2022 draft; and reclassifying after his junior year to play one year of college ball — which do you think is most likely?

If I had to make a prediction right now, I'd say he plays two more years at Lincoln, reclassifies, and goes to Michigan State. Now, it's early, and I could be wrong. I certainly don't think anything has been decided. But here is why I believe that:

Emoni loves competition, and this path would provide better competition than staying four years at Lincoln or working out on Nike's dime for a year. He also knows how good he is. He has already kept USA Basketball at arm's length. His knees won't buckle if Mike Krzyzewski walks into his living room. The Bates family likes control, they want great coaching that will challenge Emoni, and you really have to work to earn their trust. All of those factors favor Michigan State. The campus is an hour away. MSU players are extremely close, and Tom Izzo has a reputation for pushing guys but still caring about them. MSU coaches have recruited him harder and better than anybody so far. Emoni keeps score. I think that will matter to him. But again, it's early.

Reactions: Sparty_0n
The take home here is that, for a guy who many think won’t ever play college ball, he spends a LOT of time on MSU’s campus and working out with MSU players.

Not sure of timing. OAD is set to sunset in 2022. If he’s in first class to not have one and done, he won’t be ever play college.

Only way it’s a possibility is if players can get paid for their likeness by that time. Even then, probably a stretch.

Not sure of timing. OAD is set to sunset in 2022. If he’s in first class to not have one and done, he won’t be ever play college.

Only way it’s a possibility is if players can get paid for their likeness by that time. Even then, probably a stretch.

It’d be reclassification into a year where OAD isn’t allowed.

It’d be reclassification into a year where OAD isn’t allowed.

Yea... could see that. Will be interesting if that becomes a trend. Didn’t see that often in like 2004.

I feel like ESPN is lying here. Everybody had Oden ranked #1 over Durant. Everybody did. He was supposed to be the next Kareem. And Anthony Davis was highly ranked but I think he was #2 on rivals. If he was supposed to be that good out of high school he would have been a unanimous #1 across the board. Derrick Rose ended up being the best prospect in a really deep class but I don’t remember him being hyped up like Lebron. In fact, Beasley was the top prospect all season and out of high school. Rose came on late and his play in the tournament + combine vaulted him to the top spot in the draft. And are we just pretending like they hype around Andrew Wiggins never happened? In my opinion he was the most hyped player since Greg Oden at the time.
John Wall was the most hyped recruit I can remember outside of Zion. Wall was on every magazine cover and had his dance go viral. He was a superstar in college.

John Wall was the most hyped recruit I can remember outside of Zion. Wall was on every magazine cover and had his dance go viral. He was a superstar in college.
His dance????
John Wall stoke that dance from a Louisville rapper named Kenzo & Anthony “Sugar Shizz” Talbert.

Wall had a ton of hype but I don’t think it was quite at Oden or Wiggins level coming out of high school. Oden was a once in a generation type Lew Alcindor center. Adidas said Wiggins was worthy of a 200 million dollar contract before he ever played a college game. SI compared him to Wilt Chamberlain.

Wall was up there though. It’s hard to say who was what. I do think ESPN is full of shit though.

Wall’s class in general landed in a sweet spot of publicity. Kentucky coming off a dismal season, after a decade of mostly less than Kentucky-caliber recruits...

Calipari enters with one of the best recruiting classes in history, with a PG with insane quickness and flare. Parallels between that team and Duke’s class last year are neck and neck.

Arguably that class set the stage for a decade of Calipari success.

Wont play a minute at MSU.
We’ll see. If the NBA can come to some agreement about one and fines and he can go straight out of high school he will.

But he isn’t going G League, and Woj has tweeted about how all the NBA owners still want one and done and how he still feels it’s a few more years away than the original plan.

He also could most certainly reclassify and play a year at MSU and then go into the draft the same year he would, which is completely within reason as it can help his brand and hype develop, as well as the fact he’s just a big MSU fan in general.

We’ll see. If the NBA can come to some agreement about one and fines and he can go straight out of high school he will.

But he isn’t going G League, and Woj has tweeted about how all the NBA owners still want one and done and how he still feels it’s a few more years away than the original plan.

He also could most certainly reclassify and play a year at MSU and then go into the draft the same year he would, which is completely within reason as it can help his brand and hype develop, as well as the fact he’s just a big MSU fan in general.

he can’t reclassify go to MSU for 1 year, then go into the draft. Would be too young for the nba draft per current rules.

Reactions: MGC_07
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT