ADVERTISEMENT

Emoni Bates

They say he's the best high school prospect as it stands right now even though he's just a freshman lol. He's really really really good from what I've seen. Think he'll be a sophomore this year.

Don’t know about those comparisons but he IS really, really good. Has been on Izzo’s radar for some time and they have a great relationship.

Reactions: MGC_07
He goes to basically every MSU game. Great relationship with true staff. If he does go to college, it will probably be at MSU, but chances are that ain’t gonna happen.

He actually lead his team to a state championship his freshman year.

He’s ridiculously good, this isn’t just a hype machine with all the ridiculous KD comps. If anyone deserves it it is him, ridiculously fluid at his size with a terrific jumper.

As much as I love college sports, I'd be ok if the NCAA never makes another dime off the athletes. It's pretty sickening at this point.

What’s funny? I said chances are that’s not gonna happen. It seems doubtful a kid if his talent will go to College if the rules are changed, which it seems they will be.

Is there any guarantee that it happens that soon though?

What’s funny? I said chances are that’s not gonna happen. It seems doubtful a kid if his talent will go to College if the rules are changed, which it seems they will be.

I find it hilarious that MSU fans have tolled Michigan for talking about being in the top 5 for guys like Nimari Burnett and then turn around and say "If he does go to college, it will probably be at MSU, but chances are that ain’t gonna happen".

I'd bet my left nut that Michigan has more of a chance with Burnett (some) than MSU has with Bates (none).

48 seconds in. That is an exact replica of Kevin Durant. His shooting stance, motion, and everything is KD.
I feel like ESPN is lying here. Everybody had Oden ranked #1 over Durant. Everybody did. He was supposed to be the next Kareem. And Anthony Davis was highly ranked but I think he was #2 on rivals. If he was supposed to be that good out of high school he would have been a unanimous #1 across the board. Derrick Rose ended up being the best prospect in a really deep class but I don’t remember him being hyped up like Lebron. In fact, Beasley was the top prospect all season and out of high school. Rose came on late and his play in the tournament + combine vaulted him to the top spot in the draft. And are we just pretending like they hype around Andrew Wiggins never happened? In my opinion he was the most hyped player since Greg Oden at the time.

48 seconds in. That is an exact replica of Kevin Durant. His shooting stance, motion, and everything is KD.

Are they saying this in hindsight? Because Oden was about as close to unanimous #1 player as I can recall from the past 15 years.... And OJ Mayo got way, way more hype than Rose. These are the composite rankings from multiple recruiting services.

HSRankings-06-07.jpg

Are they saying this in hindsight? Because Oden was about as close to unanimous #1 player as I can recall from the past 15 years.... And OJ Mayo got way, way more hype than Rose. These are the composite rankings from multiple recruiting services.

HSRankings-06-07.jpg
Haha, I pointed out it's errors as well. And I completely forgot about OJ Mayo. He was the "it" player starting his freshman year it seemed.

Man, what a top 5 that 2007 class was. If I remember correctly, that was one of the most accomplished classes ever in recruiting history when you add up all of the draft picks + All-Conference/All-American accolades.

Reactions: dukedevilz
Haha, I pointed out it's errors as well. And I completely forgot about OJ Mayo. He was the "it" player starting his freshman year it seemed.

Man, what a top 5 that 2007 class was. If I remember correctly, that was one of the most accomplished classes ever in recruiting history when you add up all of the draft picks + All-Conference/All-American accolades.

Yep. In addition to the 5 players listed, they also had James Harden, Blake Griffin, and DeAndre Jordan.

Reactions: schoonerwest

HSRankings-06-07.jpg

I hope you’re not using the same rankings that you used in justifying calling Brazdeikas a 75th ranked recruit or whatever you were defending lol

I hope you’re not using the same rankings that you used in justifying calling Brazdeikas a 75th ranked recruit or whatever you were defending lol

If you have beef with the rankings, there are much greater tragedies than that (did anyone have Iggy in the top 40?). I mean, your boy Trey Burke was NPOY and he wasn't a top 100 by any recruiting service. Same for Frank Kaminsky, Doug McDermott, and Jimmer Fredette . And there are plenty of 1st Team All-Americans this decade that didn't crack the top 100. Buddy Hield, Ja Morant, Jerian Grant, Sean Kilpatrick, Victor Oladipo...

Reactions: SpartyRBS
If you have beef with the rankings, there are much greater tragedies than that (did anyone have Iggy in the top 40?). I mean, your boy Trey Burke was NPOY and he wasn't a top 100 by any recruiting service. Same for Frank Kaminsky, Doug McDermott, and Jimmer Fredette . And there are plenty of 1st Team All-Americans this decade that didn't crack the top 100. Buddy Hield, Ja Morant, Jerian Grant, Sean Kilpatrick, Victor Oladipo...

Buddy Hield was top 100. But not top 50.

RSCI computes their totals based on a scoring system across the 4 ranking sites (VC, ESPN, 247, Rivals).

RSCI assigns a zero value to sites when they don't rank a foreign recruit.

Ignas Brazdeikas was a 5* on Rivals, but Rivals doesn't include foreign players in their rankings. Eric Bossi said if they did, he would have been ranked in the top 30. ESPN doesn't include foreign players in their rankings, either.

RSCI gave Brazdeiaks ZEROS for two of the four sites and their overall rankings is a point total based on the cumulative score from all four sites.

You don't see the flaw in that?

RSCI computes their totals based on a scoring system across the 4 ranking sites (VC, ESPN, 247, Rivals).

RSCI assigns a zero value to sites when they don't rank a foreign recruit.

Ignas Brazdeikas was a 5* on Rivals, but Rivals doesn't include foreign players in their rankings. Eric Bossi said if they did, he would have been ranked in the top 30. ESPN doesn't include foreign players in their rankings, either.

RSCI gave Brazdeiaks ZEROS for two of the four sites and their overall rankings is a point total based on the cumulative score from all four sites.

You don't see the flaw in that?

Sure. It's flawed. But what percentage of recruits is this even effecting? 2? Maybe 3? Most Canadians nowadays play HS Basketball in the States.

And is their really a huge difference between these 4-star recruits? If you include ESPN's rating of 88 and the aforementioned ranking on rivals, his cumulative score would then be 229, which puts him at 40th on the composite ranking. Sounds a lot like arguing the difference between a preseason 9 seed and 6 seed.

And even still, 6 of the 10 AP National Player of the Year winners had a lower composite ranking than Iggy.

Looking at it a little more, it looks like RSCI calculates their points by:

101 - rank = points for each site.
#1 = 100 points (101-1)
#2 = 99 points
#3 = 98 points
#50 = 51 points
#75 = 26 points
#100 = 1 point

Brandon Johns
Verbal Commits: #68 (33 points)
ESPN: #60 (41 points)
247: #93 (8 points)
Rivals: #60 (41 points)
Total points: 123
RSCI rank 67th

Ignas Brazdeikas
Verbal Commits: #62 (39 points)
ESPN: Unranked foreign prospect (0 points)
247: #41 (60 points)
Rivals: Unranked foreign prospect (0 points)
Total points: 99
RSCI rank 74th

And is their really a huge difference between these 4-star recruits? If you include ESPN's rating of 88 and the aforementioned ranking on rivals, his cumulative score would then be 229, which puts him at 40th on the composite ranking.

So did you just figure this out? Because when I tried to explain it to you last year when you were calling Brazdeikas the #74 ranked recruit you seemed blind to it.

This has literally nothing to do with the discussion.

You don't like the rankings. Okay. Great. What is your solution? Are you going to build a composite database that includes all international player?

This has literally nothing to do with the discussion.

Seems like recruiting analysts not doing a better job would be more disconcerting than leaving out 2 or 3 international players every year. I mean, more than half of the NPOYs this decade weren't even ranked inside the top 80. That's crazy.

So did you just figure this out? Because when I tried to explain it to you last year when you were calling Brazdeikas the #74 ranked recruit you seemed blind to it.

It's amazing that you keep bringing this up. I'm not going to verify every player to find out if there are any recruiting anomalies. Not a huge deal to me. My roster database wasn't there so much for me to give cold hard facts on what's going to happen, but rather I wanted to have a better feel for the rosters of each top 50-ish team.

I've decided to unveil my preseason top 50. My main objective for putting this together was to get an accurate breakdown of the complete rosters of elite teams.

Second sentence of my original post. That was the objective of my roster database.

You don't like the rankings. Okay. Great. What is your solution? Are you going to build a composite database that includes all international player?

Seems like recruiting analysts not doing a better job would be more disconcerting than leaving out 2 or 3 international players every year. I mean, more than half of the NPOYs this decade weren't even ranked inside the top 80. That's crazy.

It's amazing that you keep bringing this up. I'm not going to verify every player to find out if there are any recruiting anomalies. Not a huge deal to me. My roster database wasn't there so much for me to give cold hard facts on what's going to happen, but rather I wanted to have a better feel for the rosters of each top 50-ish team.

Second sentence of my original post. That was the objective of my roster database.

It would be much easier for you to just say:

"My bad, I didn't realize that about RSCI and will keep that in mind going forward. Thanks for pointing it out, hail."

You're welcome. Nice avatar.

Are you going to call me out in a couple months when I use the composite rankings again? Because I ain't taking the time to re-calculate the score for someone like Oumar Ballo.

If someone points out to you that Oumar Ballo's total score is erroneous due to getting zeros I hope you'll acknowledge that now.

I find it hilarious that MSU fans have tolled Michigan for talking about being in the top 5 for guys like Nimari Burnett and then turn around and say "If he does go to college, it will probably be at MSU, but chances are that ain’t gonna happen".

I'd bet my left nut that Michigan has more of a chance with Burnett (some) than MSU has with Bates (none).

Not sure how the Burnett comparison is relevant, at all. Burnett is a lower 5-star recruit from Chicago currently playing in California. His top-5 list includes at least a few known shady programs, which is likely why you were seeing the trolling (which was mostly Indiana and Illinois fans, I believe). Bates grew up in Michigan

It makes a lot more sense that Michigan has a chance with Burnett, than any school has a chance with a generational talent that is expected to go #1 in whatever year he enters the draft, especially when many expect that rule to change when he would be eligible.

Fact is that Emoni has been to a ton of MSU games. I saw him at one myself, last year around Xmas. I believe he's been to a few Michigan games as well. I know in the past he had mentioned that he liked Beilein.

“Coach Beilein is a good coach,” Bates said. “They are doing a really good job this season. They are playing defense and teaching them all the fundamentals.”

“I really like Coach Izzo,” Bates said. “I like the environment up there. I go up there all the time.”

Fact is that he has been working out with current MSU players Gabe Brown and Rocket Watts recently, just last month:

Fact is that he has mentioned MSU and Kentucky as 2 schools he's interested in, almost 3 years ago:

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/s...ops-prodigy-nations-no-1-7th-grader/97116086/

"Bates has been compared to Kevin Durant of the Golden State Warriors. Durant is his favorite player, but the Cleveland Cavaliers are his favorite team. He said Michigan State and Kentucky are his top college basketball teams. One day – possibly soon – he could be getting offers from the Spartans and Wildcats."

And then again last month: https://247sports.com/ContentGaller...e-Adidas-Under-Armour-133669745/#133669745_10

Recruiting: If the NBA allows high prospects to enter the Draft, that’s likely what Bates will do. The schools he has mentioned if the rule doesn’t change are Michigan State and Kentucky.

I agree that he is likely not going to college anywhere, if he can go directly to the NBA. I also think MSU has a shot at him, if he does decide to go to college. Not sure what any of that has to do with Barnett

Reactions: Sparty_0n
I feel like ESPN is lying here. Everybody had Oden ranked #1 over Durant. Everybody did. He was supposed to be the next Kareem. And Anthony Davis was highly ranked but I think he was #2 on rivals. If he was supposed to be that good out of high school he would have been a unanimous #1 across the board. Derrick Rose ended up being the best prospect in a really deep class but I don’t remember him being hyped up like Lebron. In fact, Beasley was the top prospect all season and out of high school. Rose came on late and his play in the tournament + combine vaulted him to the top spot in the draft. And are we just pretending like they hype around Andrew Wiggins never happened? In my opinion he was the most hyped player since Greg Oden at the time.
If not for injuries, Oden would have been flat out dominant. That dude was sickening good. Very deserving of the ranking he got. And would have been just as valuable as KD.

Reactions: dukedevilz
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT