ADVERTISEMENT

Emoni Bates Transferring

Crums Bald Spot

Gold Member
Aug 22, 2001
Interesting scenario. Truly reclassified to get in school early and by reclassify, I mean, came in at 17 vs. being held back at some point in the past and then moving back up to your real class. That puts him in college 2 years and he's leaving Memphis.

He was future Lebron at 15, 16 but has appeared to level out. Was the Michigan State lock of the century until Fedex, I mean, Penny swung that NIL johnson around. Supposedly his dad/handlers are very demanding, unreasonable, and have made some decisions which folks feel stunted his trajectory. To top this off, Memphis was much better after they benched him.... I mean, when he sat out with an injury. So he appears to be a chemistry killer.

Upside - only 17 last year so physically he should mature some. Folks saw a ton of talent just a few years ago. If you can tap that and focus him, you may be able to ride him to an FF Carmelo style. Struggling as a FR may have humbled him and his camp. Now that his stock has taken a huge hit, it could be time for rehabilitation year and that could play into a team's favor. By all accounts, he is actually a pretty good kid. Just has the wrong folks in his ear.

The next Lebron looking for a new home...

Sparty and Oregon were his finalists out of HS. I’m not sure if either of them will get involved, however

Sparty and Oregon were his finalists out of HS. I’m not sure if either of them will get involved, however
Will be telling where he ends up. Heard UK reached but not sure if it means anything as guys like Bates typically have this worked out behind the scenes before entering the portal

Never heard the backstory as to why he didn't go to Mich St. Seems like it was always State or the D-League before Memphis came out of nowhere.

giphy.gif

That actually made me chuckle.. and you guys earned the right to be cocky..

Well…..we did one and done for a while from like 2011 to 2017 (Josh Selby, Josh Jackson, Andrew Wiggins, Joel Embiid, Cliff Alexander, Chiek Diallo, Kelly Oubre, etc). Guess how many banners we got out of it? Zero.

love our current system and hope we stick to it. Ya, pull in some #20-100 ranked guys and it’s OK to be a blue blood and take a 3* . Stay away from the top 10-15 though and let Memphis, Duke and Kentucky have them.

Reactions: Crums Bald Spot
Well…..we did one and done for a while from like 2011 to 2017 (Josh Selby, Josh Jackson, Andrew Wiggins, Joel Embiid, Cliff Alexander, Chiek Diallo, Kelly Oubre, etc). Guess how many banners we got out of it? Zero.

love our current system and hope we stick to it. Ya, pull in some #20-100 ranked guys and it’s OK to be a blue blood and take a 3* . Stay away from the top 10-15 though and let Memphis, Duke and Kentucky have them.
KU is still offering 5* players.

KU is still offering 5* players.

Yes and have 3 5* kids in the 2022 class. And a #50 player 4*. The 3 5*’s though, all are in the 20’s of rankings. I want to stay out of the top 10.

McCormack was like #27 in his class. Played 4 years.

jalen Wilson was like #45 or so. Also 4 years.

Harris, Braun and Ochai we’re high 3 to low 4*’s

coupe transfers and rinse and repeat

Yes and have 3 5* kids in the 2022 class. And a #50 player 4*. The 3 5*’s though, all are in the 20’s of rankings. I want to stay out of the top 10.

McCormack was like #27 in his class. Played 4 years.

jalen Wilson was like #45 or so. Also 4 years.

Harris, Braun and Ochai we’re high 3 to low 4*’s

coupe transfers and rinse and repeat
Perry Ellis, fringe 5*, played 14 years.

I would say Duke has 5-10 minutes to offer Emoni Bates, but Joey Baker recently announced that he's returning for a 5th season.

Calipari is great at managing ego's and Bates could fit in at the 3 and sometimes 4, but a)Calipari has seemed to fall in love with 3 guard lineup and b) I can't get passed the parents.

He was not good at Memphis but to Bates credit he was misused.

From my understanding he's not a bad kid at all.

Calipari is great at managing ego's and Bates could fit in at the 3 and sometimes 4, but a)Calipari has seemed to fall in love with 3 guard lineup and b) I can't get passed the parents.

He was not good at Memphis but to Bates credit he was misused.

From my understanding he's not a bad kid at all.
He went to Memphis because they agreed to let him play PG. Look at what Memphis did when he went out of the lineup, they started winning. He may be a "good kid" but his father is running the show and doesn't know what the hell he's doing.

Might be best for him to try an alternative route at this point.

His dad f'd him.

It's bad when Penny and Memphis passes.

MSU fans should be happy he went elsewhere. Great kid from all accounts. Piss poor "management".

who says this? we've heard bates probably wants to be here but the staff is not interested
Comparoni said there is smoke. Not confirming anything just there is something there. He is usually pretty dialed in but I could see the interest being all one sided. I wouldn't touch this kid with a 10 foot pole.

Don't get me wrong, I despise Michigan with a passion. I think Emoni may want Michigan more than Michigan wants him. The Emoni Camp Egos would never let him go to a "smaller" school (Eastern, Western, Central, etc)

Emoni has talent...problem with him (besides Dad & his camp), is he doesn't know how to play team basketball. I'm not dialed into the UM roster, and maybe they may have they need a player like him if kids leave for the NBA or the portal, but Howard would really have to work some magic to make that work in my opinion.

Don't get me wrong, I despise Michigan with a passion. I think Emoni may want Michigan more than Michigan wants him. The Emoni Camp Egos would never let him go to a "smaller" school (Eastern, Western, Central, etc)

Emoni has talent...problem with him (besides Dad & his camp), is he doesn't know how to play team basketball. I'm not dialed into the UM roster, and maybe they may have they need a player like him if kids leave for the NBA or the portal, but Howard would really have to work some magic to make that work in my opinion.
FWIW some more rockett and emoni to eastern buzz this morning

Yeah, they may not be crazy about playing with him but he does make them at least slightly relevant I guess.

Reactions: Kevin Bryan
ADVERTISEMENT