ADVERTISEMENT

Emoni Bates Back On...Maybe?

This would be a shit show.

Ultimately I want what’s best for our basketball program and I don’t know if this would be best for our basketball program.

I wouldn’t worry about it though. I think we are 4th out of those 4 options. He’s not coming to MSU. I just hope it’s the G League. Him going to a different college would be a punch in the gut.

Spartans just got commit from '22, Minnesota, 4 star PG Tre Holloman. Bates will not be coming to East Lansing.

Bates thinks he can just show up in September? Izzo would take him, but frankly, if he hasn't got his deal set by now it seems like there's probably some folks who are not as interested in him as we thought.

Last edited:
Reactions: sdave
It has to suck so hard for MSU fans. I read how excited you were when he committed. Now he's going to choose Memphis of all places.

FedEx is a hell of a drug.

Recruiting committed players used to be only reserved for college football. Penny is changing that.

He knows he's making enemies, but he's hometown boy with the city backing him. He can do no wrong. They'll take any victories they can get.

Reactions: ThePhog08
Recruiting committed players used to be only reserved for college football. Penny is changing that.

He knows he's making enemies, but he's hometown boy with the city backing him. He can do no wrong. They'll take any victories they can get.
Who's he recruiting that's committed?

Who's he recruiting that's committed?
From what I gather/heard everyone he's interested in.

The guy is unabashed shameful. He really doesn't care about etiquette. It's his city.

Some might say he's an asshole, some might say he's ahead of the times. He's using all angles.

*lots of money here in Memphis. Why else would anyone live here?

From what I gather/heard everyone he's interested in.

The guy is unabashed shameful. He really doesn't care about etiquette. It's his city.

Some might say he's an asshole, some might say he's ahead of the times. He's using all angles.

*lots of money here in Memphis. Why else would anyone live here?
I tried to tell people Memphis would be a major threat with NIL mainly because of FedEx. Most of them laughed.

Apparently Penny told Emoni he wants to run him at Point Guard. Emoni is getting a ton of crystal balls there.

I will say, fit wise, I’m not sure Emoni fits at any program better than Penny Hardaway’s Memphis.

Bates to Memphis would make things interesting, no question. Gotta imagine they would start the season as a top 5 team. Lots of length in that starting unit.

Starting Five
Emoni Bates, 6'9 Fr
Lester Quinones, 6'5 Jr
Landers Nolley, 6'7 Jr
Deandre Williams, 6'9 Sr
Jalen Duren, 6'10 Fr

Key Bench
Alex Lomax, 6'0 Sr
Earl Timberlake, 6'6 So (6th man)
Josh Minnot, 6'8 Fr
Chandler Lawson, 6'8 Jr

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
Bates to Memphis would make things interesting, no question. Gotta imagine they would start the season as a top 5 team. Lots of length in that starting unit.

Starting Five
Emoni Bates, 6'9 Fr
Lester Quinones, 6'5 Jr
Landers Nolley, 6'7 Jr
Deandre Williams, 6'9 Sr
Jalen Duren, 6'10 Fr

Key Bench
Alex Lomax, 6'0 Sr
Earl Timberlake, 6'6 So (6th man)
Josh Minnot, 6'8 Fr
Chandler Lawson, 6'8 Jr
It's not always been the most welcoming city for UK fans, but I'm curious to see what Penny can do for his hometown. Long before he was coach he's been build athletics compounds and involved so much around the city with giving kids a place to go and keep their mind busy. He's from here, played here, now coaches here and starting to make some noise. Kind of exciting to watch even if I root for Calipari.

It's not always been the most welcoming city for UK fans, but I'm curious to see what Penny can do for his hometown. Long before he was coach he's been build athletics compounds and involved so much around the city with giving kids a place to go and keep their mind busy. He's from here, played here, now coaches here and starting to make some noise. Kind of exciting to watch even if I root for Calipari.

His team is starting to resemble a prototypical Florida State lineup. Length, athletes, and defense. Obviously Bates would give Memphis a uniquely talented offensive threat, too. This Memphis team could be fun to watch.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
His team is starting to resemble a prototypical Florida State lineup. Length, athletes, and defense. Obviously Bates would give Memphis a uniquely talented offensive threat, too. This Memphis team could be fun to watch.
It's hard not to like a team when I hear so many great things. I guess messages boards have created "I've heard it all". I should one day list all the things rival fans do for/to me. One of my oldest friends send the same fathead of Luke Maye every year. There's a local guy who's from here, but he's a fan of Duke and he sends me the same highlight video of the Zion vs UK game. It's all in fun. Moving around a lot earlier in life helped me find aholes that like to taunt.

Reactions: dukedevilz
It's hard not to like a team when I hear so many great things. I guess messages boards have created "I've heard it all". I should one day list all the things rival fans do for/to me. One of my oldest friends send the same fathead of Luke Maye every year. There's a local guy who's from here, but he's a fan of Duke and he sends me the same highlight video of the Zion vs UK game. It's all in fun. Moving around a lot earlier in life helped me find aholes that like to taunt.

Obligatory gif.

giphy.gif

ADVERTISEMENT