ADVERTISEMENT

Emerald Coast Classic

GE Nole

Sep 12, 2005
I’m headed over to Niceville for what should be two great games today. Good luck @della. I’ve been impressed with y’alls starting five but curious to see your depth. I wish we were playing y’all in game two to be honest.

I’m headed over to Niceville for what should be two great games today. Good luck @della. I’ve been impressed with y’alls starting five but curious to see your depth. I wish we were playing y’all in game two to be honest.
Thanks GE. I have circled this game as (see what we are all about game). I expect your bigs to give us trouble. I kinda think we are a top 30 team and not top 20 team. I kinda think y'all are a top 20 team. I hope we can give you a good fight.

Thanks GE. I have circled this game as (see what we are all about game). I expect your bigs to give us trouble. I kinda think we are a top 30 team and not top 20 team. I kinda think y'all are a top 20 team. I hope we can give you a good fight.

Our bigs are gonna be good but one is a true freshman and one is a grad transfer (who’s been hurt until about 2 games ago). So I’m not sure how comfortable they are in the system yet. It’s our wings who I trust the most right now.

Also, MJ Walker (starting SG) has missed the last 3 games with an ankle. So even if he goes he’ll be rusty. And I have no clue what to expect with the arena.

Like you said, should be a really good test to see where each team stands and what kind of work is needed before Christmas.

Reactions: della

Should be a fun game. I concur with della, we are a decent team but have some issues.

Biggest problem we have right now is Lamonte Turner isn’t hitting shots (30%; 25% 3), but isn’t slowing down on taking them (leading the team in shots per game). Getting lots of assists but just scoring with volume shooting instead of making a decent percentage. That and our five star recruit isn’t scoring much at all (James is averaging under 5 pits).

And post is questionable but hasn’t been exposed too badly yet. Playing three players there and two were perimeter players last year. They are playing a lot better than I expected so far, but we will seldom out rebound the other team.

You should win this game but if our guards get hot we can play with anyone.

Reactions: GE Nole
I watched the whole game. It was interesting. For UT to be successful Bowden and Turner have to play well. Neither did. FSU's length and defense in general was impressive. Really like Walker.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
That gym is small. Goodness. Seems like 4 quality teams should be playing in a much bigger facility... Quality wins by FSU and Purdue.

That gym is small. Goodness. Seems like 4 quality teams should be playing in a much bigger facility... Quality wins by FSU and Purdue.

Small but fantastic atmosphere. Probably held 2200. Fans are right on the floor. Vol Nation was extremely boisterous. Impressive showing.

I’d definitely go back in future years.

Reactions: dukedevilz
Good game Noles. Jumped on us early and we could never reel you back in. Both teams played good defense, your length and athleticism gave us trouble all night.

As said good game and maybe we see each other in Charleston next year again.

After watching both games, I don’t have a great feeling about tonight, VCU’s havoc is relentless and wore us out. We were fortunate to escape with a win.

And now we follow that up less than 24 hours later with another team that will throw waves of athletic players at us playing in your face D. Not sure our young squad has the wherewithal to get it done on consecutive nights.

I’m happy with our D right now but the offense is still a work in progress, which is to be expected after what we lost.

After watching both games, I don’t have a great feeling about tonight, VCU’s havoc is relentless and wore us out. We were fortunate to escape with a win.

And now we follow that up less than 24 hours later with another team that will throw waves of athletic players at us playing in your face D. Not sure our young squad has the wherewithal to get it done on consecutive nights.

I’m happy with our D right now but the offense is still a work in progress, which is to be expected after what we lost.

I hung around for the Purdue after the FSU one. Y’alls fans were very vocal. Really energized your team at times. I thought VCU was gonna take it after both Williams and Haarms could out, but your boys were gritty. Williams is a load, interested to see him vs our two bigs. (By the way, I was courtside and his 5th foul was right in front of me. Hate to say it but I think it was the right call. However his 4th was complete horsecrap).

One are I think FSU could have an advantage is the size and length of our guards vs y’all, especially your freshman who knocked down a few threes.

Good game Noles. Jumped on us early and we could never reel you back in. Both teams played good defense, your length and athleticism gave us trouble all night.

As said good game and maybe we see each other in Charleston next year again.

It was interesting to hear Rick after the game. I’m oversimplifying, but he basically said, “We prepared them for exactly what FSU did, but our guys outside of Lamonte need to actually shoot the ball when they are open. And Lamonte needs to not try to do so much, which he already admitted to the team in the locker room. Oh and the ball was really hard and we didn’t like it.”

I’m serious, that was 8 minutes of convo boiled into three sentences.

By the way, Pons is a beast. Really nice player. I’d find ways to get him more involved.

It was interesting to hear Rick after the game. I’m oversimplifying, but he basically said, “We prepared them for exactly what FSU did, but our guys outside of Lamonte need to actually shoot the ball when they are open. And Lamonte needs to not try to do so much, which he already admitted to the team in the locker room. Oh and the ball was really hard and we didn’t like it.”

I’m serious, that was 8 minutes of convo boiled into three sentences.

By the way, Pons is a beast. Really nice player. I’d find ways to get him more involved.

It’s a problem. We have a bunch of guys who have been role players their whole career or are freshman. No one is comfortable stepping up but lamonte and he has always been too comfortable stepping up. But if no one else is shooting, he has to. When we are off, there really isn’t a go to guy to bring us out of it.

Pons is a physical freak and he started great last year and was a part of why we climbed to #1. But once SEC play started in earnest his got hurt a little and his play then minutes went way down and by the end of the year was essentially out of the rotation (why we got worse not better as year went). So for me just not sure ever what to expect, but he seems more comfortable and suited for 4. Played 3 last year.

Like your team though. Should both make the tourney and you can make some noise in the ACC.

Oh and the ball was really hard and we didn’t like it.”

This is interesting. None of the four teams shot the ball well. I think that was mostly due to the defense all four teams play (how often do you get 4 defenses that good for a 4 game tournament?). But if the ball was even a little overinflated or firm, it could have definitely had an impact.

This is interesting. None of the four teams shot the ball well. I think that was mostly due to the defense all four teams play (how often do you get 4 defenses that good for a 4 game tournament?). But if the ball was even a little overinflated or firm, it could have definitely had an impact.

He didn’t mean overinflated. He clarified to say the brand of ball (it’s called “The Rock”) is the hardest ball and his team doesn’t like it.

Honestly, from my seat the rims were a bit funky and the ball being hard probably exacerbated it.

He didn’t mean overinflated. He clarified to say the brand of ball (it’s called “The Rock”) is the hardest ball and his team doesn’t like it.

Honestly, from my seat the rims were a bit funky and the ball being hard probably exacerbated it.
Got it. Interesting. That reminds me of the complaint everyone used to have about Maryland using an Under Armour ball. Several opposing teams hated it.

I hung around for the Purdue after the FSU one. Y’alls fans were very vocal. Really energized your team at times. I thought VCU was gonna take it after both Williams and Haarms could out, but your boys were gritty. Williams is a load, interested to see him vs our two bigs. (By the way, I was courtside and his 5th foul was right in front of me. Hate to say it but I think it was the right call. However his 4th was complete horsecrap).

One are I think FSU could have an advantage is the size and length of our guards vs y’all, especially your freshman who knocked down a few threes.
Purdue fans travel really well to things like this. A cynic would argue it's because they are trying to get the hell out of West Lafayette this time of the year (probably some truth to that).

I never saw a good angle of Williams 4th but from the angle we got, it didn't look like he touched him.

My biggest issue with Williams' 5th is that a couple of minutes later, they had virtually the same play and Higgins made the call against us. When it comes to officiating, I just want consistency.

Reactions: CardinalBoiler
Purdue fans travel really well to things like this. A cynic would argue it's because they are trying to get the hell out of West Lafayette this time of the year (probably some truth to that).

I never saw a good angle of Williams 4th but from the angle we got, it didn't look like he touched him.

My biggest issue with Williams' 5th is that a couple of minutes later, they had virtually the same play and Higgins made the call against us. When it comes to officiating, I just want consistency.

I can understand wanting to come down to Florida in November/December.

And yeah, consistency is definitely ideal. But refs are human and get caught up in the moment sometimes.

Yeah, the announcers mentioned that as well. If you reward flopping in one instance you should in the other. I thought the VCU guys were flopping against Williams and Haarms with very minimal contact. Should have just played on IMO.

Nice win @GE Nole. Damn ugly game but I think both defenses had something to do with that.

Nice win @GE Nole. Damn ugly game but I think both defenses had something to do with that.

Ugly as a mud fence. The defenses definitely had something to do with it, as did the playing on less than 24 hours rest. But I really think something was off with the rims too. All 4 teams combined to shoot like 22% from 3.

Anyway, great effort. Purdue is clearly gonna be a tough out in March again. Pray for us that we don’t get totally shafted by refs in Assembly Hall on Tuesday.

All 4 teams combined to shoot like 22% from 3.

giphy.gif

We have several guys that need to find some poise. I've been rather disappointed in several of our returning players, not wanting to specifically call them out by name. They have the ability, but I think they need to get some confidence instilled in them.

3P Percentages during the Emerald Coast Classic:

VCU - 10-32 (37.0%)
Tennessee - 10-37 (27.0%)
Purdue - 9-40 (22.5%)
FSU - 4-28 (14.3%)

Total - 33-137 (24.1%)

Woof!!

The funny thing is it was the only team to shot a decent percentage that went 0--2 and the two worst teams played for the championship.

Ugly as a mud fence. The defenses definitely had something to do with it, as did the playing on less than 24 hours rest. But I really think something was off with the rims too. All 4 teams combined to shoot like 22% from 3.

Anyway, great effort. Purdue is clearly gonna be a tough out in March again. Pray for us that we don’t get totally shafted by refs in Assembly Hall on Tuesday.

hows the big/acc challenge work ref wise? Home conference crew or visiting crew

hows the big/acc challenge work ref wise? Home conference crew or visiting crew

There’s not really “conference refs” like in football. Just refs who work in geographical regions, typically around where they live or like to travel to. So you end up getting refs who work a lot of games in the same conference or are preferred for big games in those regions (like, the schools or conferences may reach out to them first).

Reactions: klize17
There’s not really “conference refs” like in football. Just refs who work in geographical regions, typically around where they live or like to travel to. So you end up getting refs who work a lot of games in the same conference or are preferred for big games in those regions (like, the schools or conferences may reach out to them first).
As long as we don't see Mike Eads again. Y'all can have him.

ADVERTISEMENT