ADVERTISEMENT

Embiid or Anthony Davis? Who is your center for the next 5 years?

And that would be the wrong choice. AD has had a few injuries, but nothing like Embiid has had. Both are great players, but I still think AD’s ceiling is higher, but I’m from Kentucky and you appear to be from Kansas, so there’s that.

I f'ing love Davis. Not sure I would pick anyone in the world over him.

Embiid has been FANTASTIC, though. So much better than I ever thought he would be.

BTW, for reference, this year...

Embiid: 24 pts, 11 boards, 3 assists, 2 blocks per game, shooting 49% from 2/29% from 3.

Davis: 28 pts, 11 boards, 2 assists, 2 blocks per game, shooting 56% from two/35% from 3.

Davis and it shouldn’t be close. Embiid still isn’t even playing back to backs

Definitely Davis, without question.

I'm biased as a UK guy, but Embiid would be my 4th choice, behind Davis, Cousins, and KAT

I'm taking Davis and Cousins over Embiid. Not Towns. That said, you can't go wrong here. Embiid is ready. Simmons play has fallen off for the Sixers though.

AD & Cousins right now. This is Embiids 1st real year so obviously injury is a threat. Let's talk after next season if Embiid is still healthy he realistically can be talked about as #1 C. The kid is still learning/growing as a player. His ceiling is extremely high. Agreed with the above "Get AD outta NO".

Some Wolves fans seem to do a fair bit of bashing of KAT, from what I've read... that he is a poor defender, doesn't hustle, doesn't box out... I was a bit shocked to see it, to be honest, as I always loved his game.

It is REALLY hard to debate ceilings between those two... both are insane.

Splitting hairs between the 2 of them, but KAT is just better IMO.

The only category that Embiid really has KAT beat on is his scoring is a little higher this year, but that IMO is due to the fact that KAT is playing with Wiggins and Jimmy Butler. (KAT only takes around 13 shots a game, Embiid takes 17).

KAT is shooting 43% from 3 compared to 22% by Embiid. And he's shooting 51% overall compared to 47% by Embiid, and KAT has a higher efficiency rating, a higher PER, is a better rebounder, etc.

Give KAT 17 shots a game like Embiid, and he'd probably be outscoring him as well.

KAT averaged 25 and 12.5 last season before the arrival of Butler and Teague and those guys, so naturally his scoring is down a bit this season.

And because of the 3 point shooting factor, KAT can definitely space the floor better.

And KAT is younger.

And he doesn't have the injury issues that Embiid has.

Again, splitting hairs here, but I'd take KAT.

Towns has been a lot better defensively the last month + and most importantly, he plays every game. That's a big ding against Embiid. That being said, I'd take Embiid if healthy and not think twice.
Davis is better everywhere so that's not a fair matchup imo.

Hakeem Olajuwon
I am old enough to remember when his name was Akeem. As far as that being his ceiling, I don’t see it. He will have to become one of the greatest defensive players ever to get there and he is basically an average on defense at best right now.

Davis still has room for growth as well. Which is why I take Davis. He is already one of the best players in the league and he isn’t done developing as a player. He is still very young too.

Reactions: keith37
Embiid's handle is ridiculous for his size and it looks natural.

I am old enough to remember when his name was Akeem. As far as that being his ceiling, I don’t see it. He will have to become one of the greatest defensive players ever to get there and he is basically an average on defense at best right now.

Davis still has room for growth as well. Which is why I take Davis. He is already one of the best players in the league and he isn’t done developing as a player. He is still very young too.

While I don't agree with the Hakeem ceiling for Embiid. Embiid is far better than average at best on defense. He's one of the best defensive Cs in the league and arguably the best 2-way center in the league.

Reactions: Kiimohawk
While I don't agree with the Hakeem ceiling for Embiid. Embiid is far better than average at best on defense. He's one of the best defensive Cs in the league and arguably the best 2-way center in the league.
I guess I’m watching the games where he isn’t. The games I’ve seen he has been very average.

Some Wolves fans seem to do a fair bit of bashing of KAT, from what I've read... that he is a poor defender, doesn't hustle, doesn't box out... I was a bit shocked to see it, to be honest, as I always loved his game.
Since KAT has entered the NBA, he leads the league in double-doubles.

I guess I’m watching the games where he isn’t. The games I’ve seen he has been very average.

His advanced stats say he's a top 3-5 defensive C. Also when Embiid goes to the bench or one of the games he sits there's a massive drop in defense for 76ers.

His advanced stats say he's a top 3-5 defensive C. Also when Embiid goes to the bench or one of the games he sits there's a massive drop in defense for 76ers.
Again, only going by the games I have seen. I’m not really an advance stat guy. Stats can be misleading but I’ll look closer the next time I watch him.

I looked the adnvaced stats and Jaylen Brown is ranked first, Tatum is third. (Embiid is ranked pretty high) Love both of those guys but they are not two of the best defenders in the league. Good defenders but that level? Eh. On the other hand Marcus Smart and Al Horford are not far behind and they are great defenders.

Last edited:
Since KAT has entered the NBA, he leads the league in double-doubles.

Having looked over at some Wolves forums (I try to keep up with Tyus Jones and his quest to become a starter), I'm just repeating what some of them are saying. Some are disappointed; they expected a better defender. A few people even say that if it doesn't show up in a stats sheet, KAT doesn't bother with it. Nothing personal; he is actually one of my favorite guys to ever come out of UK, not just because of his talent but also because he seems like a really fantastic young man.

Having looked over at some Wolves forums (I try to keep up with Tyus Jones and his quest to become a starter), I'm just repeating what some of them are saying. Some are disappointed; they expected a better defender. A few people even say that if it doesn't show up in a stats sheet, KAT doesn't bother with it. Nothing personal; he is actually one of my favorite guys to ever come out of UK, not just because of his talent but also because he seems like a really fantastic young man.
I know you're not being personal and, meh, you know how home boards are.

Embiid if we're hunting lions.

Davis if we're playing basketball.

Again, only going by the games I have seen. I’m not really an advance stat guy. Stats can be misleading but I’ll look closer the next time I watch him.

I looked the advanced stats and Jaylen Brown is ranked first, Tatum is third. (Embiid is ranked pretty high) Love both of those guys but they are not two of the best defenders in the league. Good defenders but that level? Eh. On the other hand Marcus Smart and Al Horford are not far behind and they are great defenders.
Embiid is 6th in the league in Defensive RPM. Obviously Olajuwon is a best case scenario for him but its not out of the realm of possibility.

Embiid is 6th in the league in Defensive RPM. Obviously Olajuwon is a best case scenario for him but its not out of the realm of possibility.

He won't play enough for that to happen. Availability is a skill and one he's severely lacking in.

ADVERTISEMENT