ADVERTISEMENT

Earthquake

sdave

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2005
Goleta
one just rolled through Goleta CA.

Rolled for awhile. Having a beer out on the patio now.

Apparently a 7.1 in Ridgecrest. Hope the is not a fore shock for the big one

I’m out in California right now visiting the family, Burbank. Luckily we didn’t get it very bad. We’re all sitting on the couch starting Stranger Things, and the house started vibrating. Nothing fell over, but we all felt it the shaking.

It wasn’t the first either. Yesterday there was one too. Hopefully the one that just happened was the last.

It rumbled my place in Vegas pretty good for 10-12 seconds at least. They postponed the Summer League games that were going on.

well the Califonia people did want to leave the union. can't think of a better way for them to go,

I’ll start. God is trying to separate the liberals from the rest of the country. They aren’t helping with the progression of this country. Did I do that right?

Reactions: TheDude1
one just rolled through Goleta CA.

Rolled for awhile. Having a beer out on the patio now.

Apparently a 7.1 in Ridgecrest. Hope the is not a fore shock for the big one
Ummm,Ok maybe its just me----But 7.1 is considered a major earthquake. Or so I thought. Heck the one that hit SF during the World Series was a 6.9

So, what am I missing here?

Ummm,Ok maybe its just me----But 7.1 is considered a major earthquake. Or so I thought. Heck the one that hit SF during the World Series was a 6.9

So, what am I missing here?
7.1 is the biggest in the continental US since 1992.

I've heard San Diego is awesome. I'm not really that scared of people different form me so I would have no issues living there if I could afford it.

Reactions: brooky03
I've heard San Diego is awesome. I'm not really that scared of people different form me so I would have no issues living there if I could afford it.
San Diego is a great city. A lot cooler than the rest of the state with people that aren't nearly as superficial.

Reactions: SNU0821 and sgrooms

San Diego is a great city. A lot cooler than the rest of the state with people that aren't nearly as superficial.

The special place to be in San Diego is coronado. I know this place is loaded with millionaires, so if you ever go to “saint Diego” which means a whales vagina, visit Coronado. There was a pizza place there that was a mom and pops place that was unbelievable.

Reactions: Kevin Bryan
Yeah, I've heard the weather is awesome.
The climate is great, very mild all year. It's not the place for year-round sunshine like most people think though, it's overcast and foggy quite a bit. Not too different from San Fran.

Reactions: sgrooms
giphy.gif

Crazy that they hadn't had a major one for some time.
Was almost 20 years.

The science in them is getting advanced that they have a better idea now.

I was 1/4 of a mile from a 4.1 earthquake about 15 years ago.
Being that near to an earthquake is much different than being 50-150 miles away.
Lived out there for almost 15 years when I finished my career at MCAS El Toro and went to work at the Tesoro Oil Refinery and remember that one more than the major ones.

Just think about the people who were a few miles from a 7.1. That is 100x the strength.

I drove on the Coronado Bridge for 19 years when I was stationed at North Island. I loved everything about the city but unfortunately the cost of living got to high and the traffic is getting worse. I was there 2 years ago and it took me 6 hours to drive to Vegas and it was during a weekday leaving at 9 am. It’s normally a 4 hour drive so I was like next time I’m flying in.

Reactions: Kevin Bryan
Does anyone like California.? It gets ragged on hard here.

People who are all regional and small town and hate anyone different than they are hate CA.

Regular people look at CA like normal people... a place that has strengths and weaknesses, as any place that is so huge and populated would, including every place every person here lives.

Last edited:
People who are all regional and small town and hate anyone different than they are hate CA.

Regular people look at CA like normal people... a place that has strengths and weaknesses, as any place that is so huge and populated would be, including every place every person here lives.
I think regular people look at California as a great land with endless opportunities for greatness that is being run into the ground by horrible leadership. I don't think it is a full representation of the people of California. But it is no wonder why people are leaving California by the thousands. That said, I think hate is a strong word here. Anyone who hates California doesn't have to live/visit there. I would love to visit despite my opposing views.

I in no way find it okay to mock people who are affected by disasters regardless.

Reactions: SNU0821 and UL_1986
I think regular people look at California as a great land with endless opportunities for greatness that is being run into the ground by horrible leadership. I don't think it is a full representation of the people of California. But it is no wonder why people are leaving California by the thousands. That said, I think hate is a strong word here. Anyone who hates California doesn't have to live/visit there. I would love to visit despite my opposing views.

I in no way find it okay to mock people who are affected by disasters regardless.

Hating California is a “thing”, especially among people who have never been there. Not sure why. Some people just love to hate.

Glad that my family and friends who live there are okay. My cousin in LA just had his first baby two weeks ago, and I have my fingers crossed that the earth will calm down.

Reactions: SNU0821 and MGC_07
Hating California is a “thing”, especially among people who have never been there. Not sure why. Some people just love to hate.

Glad that my family and friends who live there are okay. My cousin in LA just had his first baby two weeks ago, and I have my fingers crossed that the earth will calm down.
I visited in 14, loved it. Going back soon.
Had back window busted out at a busy shopping center 3 o'clock in afternoon, stole a garment bag 1st 2 hours there. After that all was great

Reactions: JohnHoosierr

Jealousy is tough for some. The weather, women, and things to do are endless here. I have 2 MLB programs within 10 miles of each other, an NBA team, NFL as well. Along with beautiful scenery from half moon bay up the pacific to SF and North Bay (Sausalito, Sonoma, Napa) it never gets below 55 degrees here and never gets over 80 degrees. The weather is unmatched. Great culture,
Restaurants and history. People let politics skew their views of literally everything. It’s sad. I don’t hate Florida or NOLA because of their politics.

People hating California has zero to do with land, weather, temperature, days of sunshine, mountains, oceans. I'd guess its mainly politics and how absurdly poorly its ran by their elected officials

People hating California has zero to do with land, weather, temperature, days of sunshine, mountains, oceans. I'd guess its mainly politics and how absurdly poorly its ran by their elected officials
I just don’t see how it affects other people living out of state? I don’t really think of Alabama or Georgia, but their politics are that of the dark ages. Doesn’t make me hate the state.

I just don’t see how it affects other people living out of state? I don’t really think of Alabama or Georgia, but their politics are that of the dark ages. Doesn’t make me hate the state.
Like I said---people don't hate the state at all----they just seem to have a strong dislike for some of the people there.......unless they have some strange redwood phobia

Reactions: UL_1986

See, I find that odd though. Do you really know the names of more than a single elected official there, or maybe two? Nancy Pelosi and Jerry Brown. That’s it. And let’s be honest, nobody outside of California really knows very much about how they run their state.

And what policies get people so angry? Fiscal? I mean, check out this link... they seem to list Connecticut and Kentucky and Illinois as worse off than California, and do people hate Kentucky and Illinois and Connecticut?

https://www.mercatus.org/statefiscalrankings

Here is a USA Today ranking of best and worst run States from a few years back... and New Mexico and Illinois and Alabama and Mississippi are among the bottom...

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/business/2016/12/10/best--and-worst-run-states/95207486/

And here is something from 2017, listing the states that cannot pay their bills... and again, it’s Kentucky and Illinois and others and the bottom, not California. Delaware and Hawaii are worse off, too.

https://www.truthinaccounting.org/news/detail/financial-state-of-the-states-2-2

And none of this stuff impacts anyone outside of Cali really, you know? I’m glad that Cali has so many illegal immigrants... I don’t want to pay a fortune for my salad and fruit, you know?

I think it has a lot more to do with strange social politics (California is famous for being liberal) and race (California is famous for being really diverse, including huge numbers of Asians and Latinos and African Americans) and some strange money/status thing (people get really worked up over the Hollywood types and what they see as some strange coastal elite thing) than anything truly legit. California has become this crazy horrible emotional boogeyman to certain Americans, and I think it is a bit strange.

@TheDude1, do we have to know names of their political leaders to have an opinion on the way their cities are governed? Sanctuary cities are rampant. Choosing the side of illegal immigrants over the police that protect them. Allowing city streets to be overtaken by homeless people and junkies. Meanwhile taxing the shit out of their blue collar citizens to the point where they are moving by the droves.

There is a lot to love about California. But more and more, regular folk are losing interest in the state as a whole. Both the people who have never been there, which I agree that their opinion doesn't matter really, and people who live there or have lived there.

Reactions: SNU0821
See, I find that odd though. Do you really know the names of more than a single elected official there, or maybe two? Nancy Pelosi and Jerry Brown. That’s it. And let’s be honest, nobody outside of California really knows very much about how they run their state.

And what policies get people so angry? Fiscal? I mean, check out this link... they seem to list Connecticut and Kentucky and Illinois as worse off than California, and do people hate Kentucky and Illinois and Connecticut?

https://www.mercatus.org/statefiscalrankings

Here is a USA Today ranking of best and worst run States from a few years back... and New Mexico and Illinois and Alabama and Mississippi are among the bottom...

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/business/2016/12/10/best--and-worst-run-states/95207486/

And here is something from 2017, listing the states that cannot pay their bills... and again, it’s Kentucky and Illinois and others and the bottom, not California. Delaware and Hawaii are worse off, too.

https://www.truthinaccounting.org/news/detail/financial-state-of-the-states-2-2

And none of this stuff impacts anyone outside of Cali really, you know? I’m glad that Cali has so many illegal immigrants... I don’t want to pay a fortune for my salad and fruit, you know?

I think it has a lot more to do with strange social politics (California is famous for being liberal) and race (California is famous for being really diverse, including huge numbers of Asians and Latinos and African Americans) and some strange money/status thing (people get really worked up over the Hollywood types and what they see as some strange coastal elite thing) than anything truly legit. California has become this crazy horrible emotional boogeyman to certain Americans, and I think it is a bit strange.
Yes----like I said, politics and how poorly the state is run.

Reactions: SNU0821
@TheDude1, do we have to know names of their political leaders to have an opinion on the way their cities are governed? Sanctuary cities are rampant. Choosing the side of illegal immigrants over the police that protect them. Allowing city streets to be overtaken by homeless people and junkies. Meanwhile taxing the shit out of their blue collar citizens to the point where they are moving by the droves.

There is a lot to love about California. But more and more, regular folk are losing interest in the state as a whole. Both the people who have never been there, which I agree that their opinion doesn't matter really, and people who live there or have lived there.

I think yes, if people are trying to say they are upset with California’s elected officials and their policies, they likely should know the names of the leaders of that state... otherwise my guess is that they have a very limited understanding of the actual policies and instead have created their own version of what they suspect those policies are.

Are people really losing that much interest? In 2016-17 Illinois lost about one percent of their population (150k out of 15 million inhabitants)... Louisiana lost about half a percent (30k out of 5 million)... in that time California lost a third of a percent (140k out of 40 million)... are people outraged at Louisiana or Illinois?

As for junkies... California doesn’t seem to be one of the most drug-ravaged states. Per this study...

https://wallethub.com/edu/drug-use-by-state/35150/

Michigan and Missouri and West Virginia and Indiana and Kentucky and many other states have much worse problems.

So basically it seems to come down to illegal immigration and sanctuary cities... and btw, there are many sanctuary cities in Iowa and Colorado and North Carolina and New Mexico... but it seems odd to me that most people who dislike California dislike it because the state has found that federal law does not reflect their needs and therefore have made state rules and laws they feel they need, especially given that I suspect there is a lot of overlap between the “I hate California!” crowd and the states-rights, “Dont tread on me” crowd, you know? And I think it does not really address why certain Americans have such a hated for California.

Your statement about taking the side of illegal immigrants over police feels emotional and untrue.

I think in the end the California hate from some people is not at all a rational reflection of an understanding of state politics or leadership or statistics... I think it is far more about people looking at a diverse, often liberal state and deciding that these “others” are “the enemy” and that’s it.

Anyway... definitely a conversation we can avoid. Personally, as I said, I have both family and friends in California, and I do worry about them. I could never live there... the threat of earthquake is more than I could handle. I have a hard enough time living within the blast radius of New York City:)

If people were to get mad at state politics, Kentucky’s should be the most hated. Matt Bevin and Mitch McConnell are certified crooks.

I drove on the Coronado Bridge for 19 years when I was stationed at North Island. I loved everything about the city but unfortunately the cost of living got to high and the traffic is getting worse. I was there 2 years ago and it took me 6 hours to drive to Vegas and it was during a weekday leaving at 9 am. It’s normally a 4 hour drive so I was like next time I’m flying in.
I know, the cost of living is craaaazy!! I flew from Vegas to there for a meeting a few months ago. Beats sitting in traffic!

California: the state that keeps on rustling the po’ dunks. I love it.

Actually seems like nobody really gives a damn about the earthquakes in the big picture. Once it can be used as some sort of political media tool that will change though.

Uh, I think lots of people care about the earthquakes, especially if they know people in CA? But what can we do about earthquakes, you know?

ADVERTISEMENT