ADVERTISEMENT

Duke's potential vs. Kentucky's potential

I think Duke has more potential, simply put, they have more top end talent.
If the two were to meet, UK would have to win with defense, which is something they should be very good at by March.
I'm also anxious to see how UK looks when Jared Vanderbilt is healthy and playing.

I think Duke has more potential, simply put, they have more top end talent.
If the two were to meet, UK would have to win with defense, which is something they should be very good at by March.
I'm also anxious to see how UK looks when Jared Vanderbilt is healthy and playing.
Might be an “if” at this point. The team needs to be prepared to not have him at all this season

Might be an “if” at this point. The team needs to be prepared to not have him at all this season
Same thing with us and the sketchy ass Preston situation. We can compete with anyone with our current roster---but in reality, six games in march with your main backup being mitch lightfoot and a 6'4 walk on will not be a recipe for overcoming a poor shooting night from outside. Duke is a rough matchup inside for us right now.

Reactions: tw3301
Same thing with us and the sketchy ass Preston situation. We can compete with anyone with our current roster---but in reality, six games in march with your main backup being mitch lightfoot and a 6'4 walk on will not be a recipe for overcoming a poor shooting night from outside. Duke is a rough matchup inside for us right now.
To be fair Duke is a tough matchup inside for just about anyone.

I kind of agree with this. They remind me somewhat of the 2014 team, which panned at well, but at least now they don't seem to gel as a team.
They seem to be out of sorts,right now the chemistry is not there. They have a long ways to go,I hope they get it as the season progresses.

To be fair Duke is a tough matchup inside for just about anyone.

I'd love to see them play A&M. You can make a case Robert Williams/Tyler Davis is a better college front court.

But UK can't shoot and Duke has Allen and Trent :eek:
Trent is in a massive slump right now so hopefully he snaps out of it.

Where do UK fans see them finishing this season in the SEC? I currently have them 3rd behind Florida and A&M but could see Alabama being better as well.

It's going to be tough for this UK team to get a top 4 seed playing in the best basketball conference this year and with them enduring growing pains with their freshmen. They"ll be a 5 or 6 seed no one wants to face in the NCAA Tournament but I don't see this UK team going past the Sweet 16.

I'd love to see them play A&M. You can make a case Robert Williams/Tyler Davis is a better college front court.
Definitely, A&M is not a team I want Duke to see in the NCAA Tournament.

Trent is in a massive slump right now so hopefully he snaps out of it.

Where do UK fans see them finishing this season in the SEC? I currently have them 3rd behind Florida and A&M but could see Alabama being better as well.

It's going to be tough for this UK team to get a top 4 seed playing in the best basketball conference this year and with them enduring growing pains with their freshmen. They"ll be a 5 or 6 seed no one wants to face in the NCAA Tournament but I don't see this UK team going past the Sweet 16.

I think 2nd behind A&M. Florida had a terrific game against Duke but they have no depth inside until Egbunu is fully back.
Kentucky isn't great but you are underselling them imo. Knox is terrific and Diallo has shown flashes of the player many thought he could be. PG play will be the difference between a late run or an early exit. SGA has potential to be an elite defender and Green could be damn good offensively if he gets his turnovers in check. Both are good shooters.

Definitely, A&M is not a team I want Duke to see in the NCAA Tournament.

A&M is gonna end up a 1 seed if they keep playing like they have so you won't have to worry about that until the F4/E8 at earliest tbh. For as good as Davis/Williams are, Hogg/Gilder have been even better. That team is just not fair at this point.

All I know is Duke's Walk on Dad is more famous than UK's walk on Dad. That should be the tie breaker to whatever this thread is trying to decide.

Reactions: denniden and tw3301
Neither team is built for March. Kentucky has no floor leader. Duke doesn’t stop dribble penetration. These teams don’t win titles. They’re both too young as well.

Michigan St. Villanova. Kansas. They’re all balanced, all experienced, and all play defense. Your champ is one of those 3.

Neither team is built for March. Kentucky has no floor leader. Duke doesn’t stop dribble penetration. These teams don’t win titles. They’re both too young as well.

Michigan St. Villanova. Kansas. They’re all balanced, all experienced, and all play defense. Your champ is one of those 3.
So Michigan State.

Reactions: WojoRising
lol Villanova fans yeesh. Yeah good idea to judge a team starting 4 freshman that they're not going to improve on defense by the end of the year. Bagley and Carter would eat you guys up. by the way we already beat Michigan State without our best player.

Duke fans can say all they want but they have zero bench.
We seriously need to have like a test to prove you watch more than just Kentucky...err, I mean...your favorite team before you start posting. The volume of Kentucky...err, I mean general basketball fans who come here knowing nothing about anything other than their team is disgusting. Oh, and what they read on the home board, of course.

As compared to who? I think you believe their bench is sub par b/c their first five are fantastic.
I think this is a factor. It’s about depth of good players, not who starts.

Sure, Duke could start DeLaurier and O’Connell, which still leaves them with a very strong big three of Allen, Bags, Duval and two good role players. Then bring Carter and Trent off the bench. Would that soothe people’s concerns?

I think this is a factor. It’s about depth of good players, not who starts.

Sure, Duke could start DeLaurier and O’Connell, which still leaves them with a very strong big three of Allen, Bags, Duval and two good role players. Then bring Carter and Trent off the bench. Would that soothe people’s concerns?
Don't you have a quality big sub in bolden as well?

Reactions: LetsGoDuke301
What do you mean by this? Kentucky is one of a handful of teams that has a top 25 offense and defense according to kenpom. And basically the entire roster is in their 10th game of their career.

Duke is yet again a below average defensive team. Maybe they improve like they did in 2010 and 2015, or maybe they remain bad like they have been in most other seasons and despite a high seed, fall short of the final 4.
That top 25 defense and offense is skewed. Besides Kansas you’ve played nobody. Still probably better than duke at defense though

You pick the best 5 players on here and we could put up 53 points against the team you just played. They are turrible.
Louisville only beat St. Francis PA by 12. Nova only beat a similarily ranked KenPom team in Columbia by 15.

Say what you want but beating a potential NCAA tournament team by 57 is impressive no matter how you look at it.

Louisville only beat St. Francis PA by 12. Nova only beat a similarily ranked KenPom team in Columbia by 15.

Say what you want but beating a potential NCAA tournament team by 57 is impressive no matter how you look at it.
Congrats on your lopsided win. It's huge.

What's it called when ppl discount teams beating other teams that other teams played?

Pretty sure it's ignorance. but there's a term for it. CVan't think of it right now.

I do admire you selling Duke. It;'s definitely noted.

What's it called when ppl discount teams beating other teams that other teams played?

Pretty sure it's ignorance. but there's a term for it. CVan't think of it right now.

It was a massacre though. UL or UK hasn’t beat a team that bad this year.

I really don't get fans who think Duke doesn't have a bench. I LOVE our bench. LOVE it. I think people don't know what they are talking about, and just invent talking points they WANT to be true.
I agree. And I am seeing K use his bench more than I have seen in the past. The real test will be when conference play starts. Hope that the coaching staff maintains the minutes -- especially for Javin, Marques, AOC, and Goldwire. Going deeper helps the starters stay more healthy and rested.

I don't think it is unwarranted to bring up the facts. Nobody would be selling Duke if a UK fan didn't ask them to. And also, I brought up the fact that our horrid bench scored 53 points because a UK fan questioned the scoring ability of Duke's bench. And then another UK fan chalked that up to the team Duke was playing. Which opens the door for someone to respond by bringing up the other team and who else they've played.

Don't complain to the Duke fans because they are answering a Kentucky fan's question. Complain to the Kentucky fan for opening that can of worms.

Reactions: TheDude1 and tw3301
Just out of curiosity, what is the point of this thread? I have seen no arguments about UK and Duke or their potential. There's no reason to compare the 2... Other than it's an excuse for the OP to be a homer and try his absolute hardest to point out flaws like Duke having "no bench." Also the others who have mentioned what happens if Duke's bigs get in foul trouble... Bagley played the first 10 minutes of the MSU game and Carter has routinely been in foul trouble, fouling out of the game at Indiana... Pretty sure Duke won both games.
Seems like a need to know "who is the best now"; not unlike "who has the best recruiting class". The BBN will always pull for UK and Duke fans (like me) will pull the other way. Really happy where Duke is at the moment AND I'm expecting them to get better through the season. The tough part really comes to light with the beginning of the ACC regular play. Kentucky is in a different position this season with possibly not being the strongest team in the SEC -- TAMU (GIG'M) and Florida look particularly strong.

The only really important ranking is the last one.

I don't think it is unwarranted to bring up the facts. Nobody would be selling Duke if a UK fan didn't ask them to. And also, I brought up the fact that our horrid bench scored 53 points because a UK fan questioned the scoring ability of Duke's bench. And then another UK fan chalked that up to the team Duke was playing. Which opens the door for someone to respond by bringing up the other team and who else they've played.

Don't complain to the Duke fans because they are answering a Kentucky fan's question. Complain to the Kentucky fan for opening that can of worms.

Sorry, don't see where I complained. Noted an awesome win. If I tried to compare UK to Duke, this would be the theme song this year.

Please note that I don't take any of the serious. If I reply to a post, it's either a response to bring up UK facts, or just have fun. Thanks and love you.

Speaking of which, any chance we can have dinner sometime. I like you.

Now that the courting is out of the way.

Is it National Championship or bust for Duke this year?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT