ADVERTISEMENT

dukedevilz 2020-21 Preseason Top 50

But that doesn't mean you cannot improve....

No one can be a perfect person but doesn't mean that you don't strive to improve ourselves

You’re out of control.

So this is about ranking Tech higher than Texas? Seems like a weak “told ya” moment. They swept you in the regular season, were favored in the last game and should have won.

See that's weak because you don't have any improvements or errors to point out, and really there aren't any. You can look at recruiting rankings, returning production, schedule, and that's about it. BPI is awful, and that's basically a algorithm that looks at those figures along with stats once you are in the season. It doesn't work, and it won't ever work, because it doesn't identify how some teams that are generally average are bad matchups for better teams, so they create a data population that gets screwyer and screwyer. It's the best part about college sports, especially basketball. We crave the upset when it isn't our team. We need the upsets or it gets boring. Just enjoy it man

1) Re thinking transfers

You’re out of control.

So this is about ranking Tech higher than Texas? Seems like a weak “told ya” moment. They swept you in the regular season, were favored in the last game and should have won.

What does that have to do with anything

Tx Tech was overrated here.

But it was known by most around the Big 12 they would be behind Texas and WVU

Really? So if we look at transfers that were new to their team this year, for every bad one you post, a good one can be used to counter it

That is the point...

Stats are meaningless because there is only one ball in basketball.

Need the ball or at least touch the ball to put up a stat

Just because a player put up or didn't put stats it doesn't always mean the same thing will happen at the next school.

What does that have to do with anything

Tx Tech was overrated here.

But it was known by most around the Big 12 they would be behind Texas and WVU

Given that you talk about KU as if they’re vastly inferior to Texas, despite finishing behind them, it seems that head to head results are pretty important to you.

That is the point...

Stats are meaningless because there is only one ball in basketball.

Need the ball or at least touch the ball to put up a stat

Just because a player put up or didn't put stats it doesn't always mean the same thing will happen at the next school.
I'm confused, are you arguing that a transfers impact is nullable and should be completely eliminated? That can't be your argument.

Also, on a given play, a score can generate both an assist and a made basket. That's multiple stats recorded on the same play.

You could also have a miss, offensive rebound, followed by a score.

You could have a block that leads to a runout that either has another assist or just a score. These are all sequences that generate statistics in a very minute period of time relative to the overall game. Stats matter and always will.

I'm confused, are you arguing that a transfers impact is nullable and should be completely eliminated? That can't be your argument.

Also, on a given play, a score can generate both an assist and a made basket. That's multiple stats recorded on the same play.

You could also have a miss, offensive rebound, followed by a score.

You could have a block that leads to a runout that either has another assist or just a score. These are all sequences that generate statistics in a very minute period of time relative to the overall game. Stats matter and always will.

I will go through this later

Have other things to do...For now will leave it at this

Video is more important than stats with transfers.
Plus knowing systems

I forgot how cyclical you get with your logic and shy about engaging on things you can't really argue for

Trying to watch basketball.

So for now this isn't that important.

Transfers and understanding the impact transfer will have ultimately is determined by basketball IQ.

People who played the game and coached the game.

Compared to a nerd with a pen

Pay attention to the errors and fix the system.

Some people are way too high on transfers
For every team where transfers were overrated, there is a team where transfers were pivotal.

No way Michigan is top 5 without Mike Smith stepping in for Zavier Simpson and Chaundee Brown‘s contributions. Minnesota was top 25 until transfer Liam Robbins got hurt.

A few other transfers...Quinerly helped Alabama. Juzang helped UCLA. Mutts helped Va Tech. Haarms helped BYU. Tate helped Arky. Figueroa helped Oregon. Griffin helped Syracuse. Louisville probably wins 3-5 games without Jones. These are guys that come to mind without doing research I'm sure there are others? Hauser at Virginia? It was a couple years ago but Houston ain't where they are without Grimes.

Sure there are transfer busts. There are coaching busts. There are HS recruiting busts.

OP should have paid attention to the preseason conference rankings over the National guys

lol are you mad that I essentially had Texas as a preseason 5 seed and Texas Tech as a preseason 3 seed? My very first response to you was this...

And by all means, yes, Texas absolutely should be a top 10 team. You have 11 top 100 players. But at the same time, it's hard to have complete trust in Shaka. In five seasons, only once has he had a winning record in league play.

You had 11 top 100 recruits. So, Texas being a top 10 really shouldn't be that surprising. If my rankings were based on talent, I'd have Texas in my top 10 without hesitation. As far as Texas Tech, I was projecting Nimari Burnett and Joel Ntambwe (Jonathan Kuminga's older brother) as starters. They both appeared to be head cases - and they left the program early on the season. Probably would have dropped them a good 8-13 spots if I knew they wouldn't really factor into this team's production.

But, if you're going by the preseason conference rankings, what does that say about Oklahoma State, who was picked 7th? They have maybe the 3rd or 4th most Quad 1 wins in the country? Looks like they conference experts missed there.

I miss every year on a lot of teams. But, the two Texas schools are hardly noteworthy. I would focus more on overvaluing Duke, Kentucky, Michigan State, and Arizona State. I also vastly underrated Alabama, Oklahoma State, USC, and Colorado. If your concerns are on schools that off by roughly 2 seeds, you're doing it wrong. I'm evaluating 75+ schools and there will always be bigger misses than those two Texas schools.

Reactions: sgrooms
lol are you mad that I essentially had Texas as a preseason 5 seed and Texas Tech as a preseason 3 seed? My very first response to you was this...

You had 11 top 100 recruits. So, Texas being a top 10 really shouldn't be that surprising. If my rankings were based on talent, I'd have Texas in my top 10 without hesitation. As far as Texas Tech, I was projecting Nimari Burnett and Joel Ntambwe (Jonathan Kuminga's older brother) as starters. They both appeared to be head cases - and they left the program early on the season. Probably would have dropped them a good 8-13 spots if I knew they wouldn't really factor into this team's production.

But, if you're going by the preseason conference rankings, what does that say about Oklahoma State, who was picked 7th? They have maybe the 3rd or 4th most Quad 1 wins in the country? Looks like they conference experts missed there.

I miss every year on a lot of teams. But, the two Texas schools are hardly noteworthy. I would focus more on overvaluing Duke, Kentucky, Michigan State, and Arizona State. I also vastly underrated Alabama, Oklahoma State, USC, and Colorado. If your concerns are on schools that off by roughly 2 seeds, you're doing it wrong. I'm evaluating 75+ schools and there will always be bigger misses than those two Texas schools.

No one is mad about anything...

Should see the errors and move on

Purdue has played really well in the past few months. The way they played in the first month was probably about right for my preseason rank. But, they have certainly turned the corner - and exceeded my expectations. Should be in the top 10 to start next season, possibly top 5.

The funny thing is that Burnett is the one Tech player that Sheriff spoke highly of. Now he pretends that he didn’t expect him to be a difference-maker.

Even without those guys, TT was a last-second bail-out foul from a 3 game sweep.

Reactions: dukedevilz
For every team where transfers were overrated, there is a team where transfers were pivotal.

No way Michigan is top 5 without Mike Smith stepping in for Zavier Simpson and Chaundee Brown‘s contributions. Minnesota was top 25 until transfer Liam Robbins got hurt.

The transfers will increase in the future.

Really have to know the player and the different systems.

Need to listen less to the nerds and more with the basketball people.

The funny thing is that Burnett is the one Tech player that Sheriff spoke highly of. Now he pretends that he didn’t expect him to be a difference-maker.

Even without those guys, TT was a last-second bail-out foul from a 3 game sweep.

Re read what I wrote.

Regarding the rest. That is why they won the first game.
Can't rely on clutch plays every game.

Re read what I wrote.

Regarding the rest. That is why they won the first game.
Can't rely on clutch plays every game.

What do I need to re-read? Did you not think that Burnett had a lot of potential? Do you not think that removing two promising pieces from a roster affects the outlook of the season?

What do I need to re-read? Did you not think that Burnett had a lot of potential? Do you not think that removing two promising pieces from a roster affects the outlook of the season?

Texas removed two as well...
Also had a key player miss half the season

Regarding Burnett. I like him. I still think he has the physical tools to be an elite player.
Should watch him next year. Might end up doing big things

Texas removed two as well...
Also had a key player miss half the season

Regarding Burnett. I like him. I still think he has the physical tools to be an elite player.
Should watch him next year. Might end up doing big things

Texas lost a couple players who barely saw the court and put up goose eggs in half their games. And this “key player” is an average at best guard who scores 5 ppg. Nobody expected big things from any of these players.

Reactions: Noahtogo24
Texas lost a couple players who barely saw the court and put up goose eggs in half their games. And this “key player” is an average at best guard who scores 5 ppg. Nobody expected big things from any of these players.

Once again stats don't matter in basketball...

Will Baker could easily become All Conference at Nevada.
Liddell definitely will because he probably will end up at a HBCU.

Jase Febres...Would start for majority of teams around the country. He could put up 30 points any night

You’re out of control.

Sheriff is pissed because Texas was appropriately ranked by the OP. He really wanted to pimp them as a contender earlier.

And in his defense, they have the roster of a contender. There's really no excuses for them to not be a contender this year.

Sheriff is pissed because Texas was appropriately ranked by the OP. He really wanted to pimp them as a contender earlier.

And in his defense, they have the roster of a contender. There's really no excuses for them to not be a contender this year.

The thing with Tx Tech is that Jarrett Culver was a difference maker.

I will give credit to. Chris Beard for filling the gaps but he won't be that level he was at without a player like Culver.

Thing is Beard overachieved this year...
But not according to the preseason expectations.

Those expectations could hurt that program

• Haha
Reactions: duckboy33
Once again stats don't matter in basketball...

Will Baker could easily become All Conference at Nevada.
Liddell definitely will because he probably will end up at a HBCU.

Jase Febres...Would start for majority of teams around the country. He could put up 30 points any night

Stats matter relative to the rest of the team.

Any decent player can put up big numbers as a volume shooter on a low major. What matters is his impact on the team.

He’s a guy who comes off the bench to hit an occasional three. Less than 17 min/game. Barely gets more playing time than Cunningham. That’s not a key player.

Stats matter relative to the rest of the team.

Any decent player can put up big numbers as a volume shooter on a low major. What matters is his impact on the team.

He’s a guy who comes off the bench to hit an occasional three. Less than 17 min/game. Barely gets more playing time than Cunningham. That’s not a key player.

He is a guy with 60 career starts coming off the bench.
Actually playing less time as a senior than he did the previous two years

He is returning next year...

Does a lot for the basketball team. Another guy who truly believes in Shaka

Watch the video of Donovan Williams against OU...

Guy isn't even playing.
Not enough minutes...

But the guy is a great basketball player.

Don't put too much into stats.

When you see a player with that type of talent not even stepping on the floor it shows how much trust Shaka has with his guards/small forwards

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT