ADVERTISEMENT

Duke

Would you say a team that maintains a healthy 5-10 point lead for most of the game and ends up winning by around that same amount is a team that won "pretty easily"? I would and I think that is what would happen.

And you guys are crazy for thinking Richards = Azuibuike. Azuibuike is literally the only reason Kansas is doing as well as they have been. He's the most important player on the best team in the country. He's arguably more valuable to his team than anybody in America.

Dok in foul trouble would suck, for sure. But he hasn't really been playing in foul trouble much this season at all. So I don't think we can count on that as a scenario beneficial to UK. I mean, I guess it is, but if that's a way to win then Kentucky doesn't really have much to work with. It would've been like me saying if Anthony Davis had 3 fouls in the first half of the 2012 title game then I see the path for a KU victory.
Richards is more important to UK than Azubuike is to KU. It's simple math. 8>3.

Would you say a team that maintains a healthy 5-10 point lead for most of the game and ends up winning by around that same amount is a team that won "pretty easily"? I would and I think that is what would happen.

And you guys are crazy for thinking Richards = Azuibuike. Azuibuike is literally the only reason Kansas is doing as well as they have been. He's the most important player on the best team in the country. He's arguably more valuable to his team than anybody in America.

Dok in foul trouble would suck, for sure. But he hasn't really been playing in foul trouble much this season at all. So I don't think we can count on that as a scenario beneficial to UK. I mean, I guess it is, but if that's a way to win then Kentucky doesn't really have much to work with. It would've been like me saying if Anthony Davis had 3 fouls in the first half of the 2012 title game then I see the path for a KU victory.
Nope I wouldn't and I don't think Kansas would control the whole game. You're being a homer here. I've been open about Kansas being the best team but they aren't unbeatable and certainly aren't comparable to some of the other top teams from recent years.

Nope I wouldn't and I don't think Kansas would control the whole game. You're being a homer here. I've been open about Kansas being the best team but they aren't unbeatable and certainly aren't comparable to some of the other top teams from recent years.
Did you see the Champions Classic game against Duke? Told me all I needed to know.

Like 2 weeks ago Jimbo said Richards should be in the conversation for NPOY.

Blake Griffin
Kevin Durant
Anthony Davis
Zion Williamson
Trey Burke
Nick Richards
I said if he keeps it up and wins SEC POY he should be in the discussion. He hasn't had a great two weeks so my point is mute. At this point I would love for UK to play Kansas just to humble you KU guys.

Maybe this is the year KU finally breaks through with a title after having the "best team in the country." How many times have we ****ing heard that from them with zero results? A lot.

Reactions: Cat_Incognito
Right now this is probably the best Kansas has been playing since 2011. That's not a joke. They're playing very well right now.

The thing they struggle the most with is closing out a game against a quality opponent. That's the main thing I'd be worried about against Kentucky. That and can the shooters step up and hit atleast 33% of their 3 point shots. Other than that I'm not sure what Kentucky does well that would stop Kansas. They have probably a top 2 PG in the country and the best center. And they have the best defensive player in the country in Marcus Garrett. That's 3 superior players and stopping any one of the 3 would be a battle, let alone stopping all 3.

Maybe this is the year KU finally breaks through with a title after having the "best team in the country." How many times have we ****ing heard that from them with zero results? A lot.
Kansas hasn't had the best team in the country since 2010. Atleast one that was an obvious pick for best team in the country (which is clearly debatable for that year pre-tourney).

The reason they are such an interesting pick this season is because advanced metrics show them to be far superior to the #2 team in the country. That has never happened with Kansas as far as I can remember. Maybe 1997 but that would be it. This isn't one of the GOAT's but they're an elite team in a down year. It's cool for me to finally see that as a KU fan (it'll also make the March loss hurt that much more though).

Right now this is probably the best Kansas has been playing since 2011. That's not a joke. They're playing very well right now.

The thing they struggle the most with is closing out a game against a quality opponent. That's the main thing I'd be worried about against Kentucky. That and can the shooters step up and hit atleast 33% of their 3 point shots. Other than that I'm not sure what Kentucky does well that would stop Kansas. They have probably a top 2 PG in the country and the best center. And they have the best defensive player in the country in Marcus Garrett. That's 3 superior players and stopping any one of the 3 would be a battle, let alone stopping all 3.
Dok would be tough but I'm good with Hagans on Dotson. Garret isn't a great offensive threat. If he was on Quickley that could cause us problems. I think it would be pretty low scoring. I like my team.

Does a Kentucky fan really want to start generalizing? If we're doing that, then you guys predict 40-0 every year.

Not sure how a Kentucky fan thinks anyone else needs to be humbled. Every single offseason you proclaim yourselves the best in the nation before any of your freshmen have stepped onto the court. And even when they fall on their faces, you still expect everyone to bow down in fear.

KU has earned its way to #1 and is playing better than anyone at the moment. Doesn't guarantee anything, but I don't see how it is a shot to say that they'd beat Kentucky by 5-10 on a neutral court. Most national analysts would probably say the same.

Reactions: bignish
Dok would be tough but I'm good with Hagans on Dotson. Garret isn't a great offensive threat. If he was on Quickley that could cause us problems. I think it would be pretty low scoring. I like my team.
If Garrett was able to hit an outside shot consistently he would be NPOY.

As it is now, he is a really good 2nd guard on offense. He can drive and score pretty easily. He's not elite at it but considering who else the defense has to worry about, Garrett driving is not the main concern so he's very effective when he does do it 3-6 times a game.

Does a Kentucky fan really want to start generalizing? If we're doing that, then you guys predict 40-0 every year.

Not sure how a Kentucky fan thinks anyone else needs to be humbled. Every single offseason you proclaim yourselves the best in the nation before any of your freshmen have stepped onto the court. And even when they fall on their faces, you still expect everyone to bow down in fear.

KU has earned its way to #1 and is playing better than anyone at the moment. Doesn't guarantee anything, but I don't see how it is a shot to say that they'd beat Kentucky by 5-10 on a neutral court. Most national analysts would probably say the same.
RollLaugh Earned not given. One day, you'll earn the right to be over the top arrogant. Not yet. Give respect to those that have.

Reactions: JimboBBN
Kansas hasn't had the best team in the country since 2010. Atleast one that was an obvious pick for best team in the country (which is clearly debatable for that year pre-tourney).

The reason they are such an interesting pick this season is because advanced metrics show them to be far superior to the #2 team in the country. That has never happened with Kansas as far as I can remember. Maybe 1997 but that would be it. This isn't one of the GOAT's but they're an elite team in a down year. It's cool for me to finally see that as a KU fan (it'll also make the March loss hurt that much more though).
I am over the metrics this year. Kentucky is behind teams like Arizona, Texas Tech, and Michigan State in the NET. If other people want them to hold weight, that's fine. I think any person who watches a decent amount of college basketball would agree that, especially now, Kentucky is better than either of those three teams.

I am over the metrics this year. Kentucky is behind teams like Arizona, Texas Tech, and Michigan State in the NET. If other people want them to hold weight, that's fine. I think any person who watches a decent amount of college basketball would agree that, especially now, Kentucky is better than either of those three teams.
It's rare we're being overlooked, and I actually like it.

Myron Medcalf can shut his pie hole trying to hype us up on ESPN.

We stole Witcha St's #1 seed by being underrated. Rode it to a Final Four.

not to mention UK has beaten 2 of those 3

KU certainly has earned the right to be #1. I really hope your team writes off everyone else this year just like your fans are doing. Bragging about being the best team this year is like bragging about being the tallest guy in a room full of midgets. Hate to break it to you, y'all aint nothing special this year.

Reactions: Cat_Incognito
We can also look at SOS, record, record against Quadrant 1 teams, record against top 25 opponents or most any other ways to compare teams.

And advanced metrics aren't a perfect science. There's going to be outliers every now and then like Kentucky this season. But more often than not, they are the most accurate thing we have to go by.

We can also look at SOS, record, record against Quadrant 1 teams, record against top 25 opponents or most any other ways to compare teams.

And advanced metrics aren't a perfect science. There's going to be outliers every now and then like Kentucky this season. But more often than not, they are the most accurate thing we have to go by.
I agree, my post was simply pointing out that perhaps the metrics aren't the greatest meter to go by as far as how much better Kansas might be than the second best team. I'm not sure what else you would go by to judge that, but there is obviously some flaws in most of the systems.

NET is about as credible as RPI.

I agree, my post was simply pointing out that perhaps the metrics aren't the greatest meter to go by as far as how much better Kansas might be than the second best team. I'm not sure what else you would go by to judge that, but there is obviously some flaws in most of the systems.
I do want to point out that I’m not saying this is a Kansas squad that is on track for a title or bust type of tournament. I never go that far. I’m just saying that right now, the way they are playing is at a higher level than I’ve seen them play in 9 years. Their defense is outstanding.

Reactions: JimboBBN
I do want to point out that I’m not saying this is a Kansas squad that is on track for a title or bust type of tournament. I never go that far. I’m just saying that right now, the way they are playing is at a higher level than I’ve seen them play in 9 years. Their defense is outstanding.
I can't remember every KU team from that span, but I'll take your word for it. You guys have had some squads in recent memory.

I can't remember every KU team from that span, but I'll take your word for it. You guys have had some squads in recent memory.
They’ve had some really good teams since then but most of those were offense minded teams. I don’t know if I’ve ever seen a KU defense as good as this and that’s a lot harder to contain than a good offense. With there really being no elite offense in CBB this year I just like KU’s chances more than most recent KU teams.

I've thought the same thing for several years now. I don't really know what to make of it. Maybe his system requires key guys to stay multiple years.

But yeah, I'm amazed at how well coached Duke is at the start of the season, but I have no idea why they fade the way they do.
I think it’s largely a product of K knowing his ideal rotation/player roles early on in the process and really ironing them out. I could be completely off, though. It definitely feels like Duke has a tendency to go stagnant, though.

Reactions: kyjeff1
They’ve had some really good teams since then but most of those were offense minded teams. I don’t know if I’ve ever seen a KU defense as good as this and that’s a lot harder to contain than a good offense. With there really being no elite offense in CBB this year I just like KU’s chances more than most recent KU teams.
Makes sense. Defense will win games for you as long as you can score at least a little. You guys have Dok and Dotson to go to when you need a bucket. Definitely the team to beat right now. Luckily for us, looks like we wouldn't meet until the elite eight at the earliest. We are trending towards a 2 or 3

I think it’s largely a product of K knowing his ideal rotation/player roles early on in the process and really ironing them out. I could be completely off, though. It definitely feels like Duke has a tendency to go stagnant, though.

Without Carey in there I feel like Duke's offense is just drive and hope for a layup or foul. Hurt can shoot and change the offense but defensively is atrocious which puts even more pressure on Carey who is foul prone. Your two freshman wings are good but inconsistent. Just not a ton of elite freshman this year, which really hurts you guys and us.

Reactions: bignish
KU certainly has earned the right to be #1. I really hope your team writes off everyone else this year just like your fans are doing. Bragging about being the best team this year is like bragging about being the tallest guy in a room full of midgets. Hate to break it to you, y'all aint nothing special this year.

And I could argue that Kentucky did nothing special in the tourney in 2012. Yet you still brag about that title, don't you?

Right now, this KU team ranks as the 20th best team by Kenpom since 2002. That number would shoot way up if they won it all. That's a good team, no matter how you slice it.

And I could argue that Kentucky did nothing special in the tourney in 2012. Yet you still brag about that title, don't you?

Right now, this KU team ranks as the 20th best team by Kenpom since 2002. That number would shoot way up if they won it all. That's a good team, no matter how you slice it.
Well yes, because we won actually. KU has yet to do that this year. But from the sounds of it, title or bust for the Jayhawks this year. By far and away the best team should have no issues winning it

ADVERTISEMENT