Duke @ Va Tech

Discussion in 'College Basketball Board' started by Ipartiedwithhopgood, Feb 25, 2015.

1. ioliva

ioliva Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Don't go cory we'll miss you seriously [​IMG] not while we're approaching into march madness

2. Ipartiedwithhopgood

Ipartiedwithhopgood Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Louisville plays a rough style they don't call them all. Great. Ok. There are plenty of people here that will support your position on that.

That's not going to change the fact that the refs punted a couple calls in Duke's favor down the stretch tonight, on the road.

I don't dislike Duke at all. Like I said, the top teams in team sports get their games favorably officiated. That's a fairly common point of view. It's not Duke's fans or players fault that this is how it is - no reason for you to take it personal. Nobody is saying give wins back.

You guys have gotten a touch more than being on the lucky end of a few.

You come off pretty defensive. Maybe you are a lawyer.

This post was edited on 2/25 11:59 PM by Ipartiedwithhopgood

3. coryfly

coryfly Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

It is going to be tough but was something I was going to do and then forgot about it, which shows you how much of a slacker I am. No one is going to miss my contentiousness too much though.

4. Quavarius

Quavarius Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Gritty win, but when you play down to your competition, you get games like this. Hate we put ourselves in this situation, but proud of the guys finding a way to win when not playing sharp on D.
    Posted from Rivals Mobile

5. Quavarius

Expand Collapse

Sorry Cory, that was no flop, even the announcers agreed it was a good call, but moot point.

6. FAO_BlueFan

FAO_BlueFan Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Duke falls to 83rd in Adj Def. Getting dangerously close to no mans land for a team that is supposed to contend for a title.

Putting Jahlil Okafor into P&R def is like playing 5 on 4 most of the time. He doesn't even try.

7. ndesgeorges

ndesgeorges Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Geez, wasnt coming close to passing the eye test, but that is much lower than I thought it would be. I need to start paying more attention

8. sdsufan10

sdsufan10 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

They have the 10th ranked defense in ACC play, that is not a typo.

This post was edited on 2/26 1:03 AM by sdsufan10

9. ndesgeorges

Expand Collapse

Wow

10. Quavarius

Expand Collapse

11. sdsufan10

sdsufan10 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

ACC play defensive rating
    1. UVA 86.6
    2. Louisville 98.3
    3. Clemson 99
    4. GT 100.4
    5. Syracuse 101.4
    6. NC State 101.7
    7. Miami 102.8
    8. UNC 104.4
    9. FSU 104.8
    10. Duke 105.1
    11. ND 108.3
    12. Wake 109.2
    13. Pitt 112.3
    14. BC 114.3
    15. VT 114.3

12. Dukiepride77

Dukiepride77 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Two things. Our defense is not good. But it is a testament to how efficient and ahead of the curve we are offensively that we can still boast a a very good record, while having the best road wins in the nation while struggling so mightily defensively. I think we have the best offensive team in the land.

13. brill

brill Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

I don't care if Nova is the 1 or 2 but I will salivate if Duke is in our region. That is what I want badly. Or gonzaga

14. Jhmoss1812

Jhmoss1812 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

This is how I feel about UVA. Just switch the word offense for defense. And we probably have the 2nd best defense in the land. Teams don't always play well. Sometimes, your opponent plays above their heads also. Usually, that leads to a loss. For good teams like Duke, they don't. Congrats on the win. I, for one, can understand how important winning is when your team doesn't play well.

15. endicott

endicott Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Duke's a billion time better with Okafor, obviously, it's not even close.

But I'll say it, the defense suffers big time from Okafor at times. Clemson and VT(14th and 13th in ACC AdjO, respectively) were night and day.

16. Quavarius

Expand Collapse

K even mentioned (with Okafor out) they've been practicing with 7 scholarship players and he's cut wayyyy back on practices which explains the mental lapses on D. Every week there seems to be some adjusting or tweaking and yet we're 25-3 overall.

17. Dattier

Dattier Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

That our defense does indeed suffer big time when he's out there, it detracts some from how much better we are w/ him out there. IOW, it makes it closer.

18. denniden

denniden Administrator
    Expand Collapse

Brill

I remember teams like UVA, Wisconsin, Louisville and others saying the same thing about Duke this year. Careful what you salivate for because you still have to stop Duke from scoring.

19. Dattier

Expand Collapse

...and from getting that one stop when we need it.

20. tw3301

tw3301 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

I agree 150%. Also, K tried to pressure the ball out to half court again last night and it bit us in the a**. I think he does this against lesser teams to see if somehow the guards have figured out how to stay in front of someone- they haven't.

21. Tripsearching

Tripsearching Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Duke fans feel the same way about Nova.

22. JustinSphere

JustinSphere Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

never fails...

underdog home team trying to knock off the highly ranked, highly favored away team gets down to crunch time and starts taking bad shots with a couple minutes left down by one possession.

Duke did what they had to do to pull out the win. Gotta respect that. FSU went into waterhead mode down the stretch.

Duke can't guard the perimeter to save their lives and if Winslow or Jefferson don't block the shot, they're not that great down low either. Man can they shoot it, though.

23. Dattier

Expand Collapse

(Virginia Tech)

I don't think our perimeter defenders are incapable so much as they're not good at the overplay and K hasn't fully accepted that yet. He's showing some Roy Williams style stubbornness about the D this year.

24. JustinSphere

JustinSphere Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

My post clearly is worthless since I can't even remember who Duke was playing last night [​IMG].

But yea I would agree with that. Actually, as much as I absolutely loathe zone defenses, I think it may benefit Duke to look at running that as the primary defense the rest of the way. I just don't think they're gonna get it done in man. I've seen countless times this year where the offense's perimeter guys blow by the Duke defender and either get to the rim or kick out to open shooters. They've been winning despite that, and it says a lot about their toughness and scoring ability.

25. Quavarius

Expand Collapse

I agree Dattier. I've excepted the fact that this Duke team plays to the level of its competition and can be beaten by anyone.

26. Dattier

Expand Collapse

Excepted it from what?

27. dmaso44

dmaso44 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Lol, some guy on Rafters yesterday used uphauled instead of appalled. Might be the best one(uphauled) ever. Q at least didn't invent a new word.

28. ndesgeorges

Expand Collapse

Why are your perimeter players playing so far out? It bothers me when I watch Duke and I pretty much root against Duke in some capacity every game, so I have to imagine it drives you guys nuts. Is it really just stubbornness?

29. Devilicious

Devilicious Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

It is a little odd but it's been that way almost every year except maybe 2010. We'll see if adjustments are made but I doubt it.

30. Dattier

Expand Collapse

Ultimately you have to pick your battles, and K's preference is to overplay passing lanes and challenge every shot. That traditionally leads to more turnovers and lower FG %, but it has almost always made us susceptible to backdoor plays and offensive rebounding. When you trust your talent enough for things to break in your favor, that's great. But like pretty much any system, when talent is equal (and in tournament play, NBA talent is just one factor, alongside experience, cohesion, etc), execution is the determining factor.

I remain confident that everything else being equal, a Coach K coached team is capable of beating any other team and winning a national championship. I am not as confident any more that they will. Even as long ago as 2001, and w/ one of the major favorites to win the title, there wasn't any major adjustment made in the 33-point FF turnaround to beat Maryland. He called a timeout, told them to relax, and stayed the course. Player execution made him look like the cool, confident genius.