ADVERTISEMENT

Duke Recruiting

C_uGl26UIAEf0a7.jpg

Does Duke University have a class where they teach the males on how to drop their balls?
It's a elective but they use UNC girls as the fluffers.

Not a popular opinion to have as a Duke fan, but I feel K should of retired a couple years ago. I think if he could do it over again, he would probably go out after 15. I'm definitely sad to see him go, but Scheyer taking over is better for Duke basketball going forward.

Scheyer continues recruiting at a rate that we've never really seen with a first year head coach, and looking beyond next year.

Picked up Mgbako, the #3 in the 2023 class, a day after picking up #17 Tyrese Proctor. Five of the eight players in 2023 that Duke has offered have committed.

Obviously recruiting doesn't necessarily win championships/there is no prize for #1 recruiting class/etc etc etc, but interesting to see that there doesn't seem to be a drop off yet post-K, even two classes deep.

Scheyer continues recruiting at a rate that we've never really seen with a first year head coach, and looking beyond next year.

Picked up Mgbako, the #3 in the 2023 class, a day after picking up #17 Tyrese Proctor. Five of the eight players in 2023 that Duke has offered have committed.

Obviously recruiting doesn't necessarily win championships/there is no prize for #1 recruiting class/etc etc etc, but interesting to see that there doesn't seem to be a drop off yet post-K, even two classes deep.
Duke's all in on the OAD model. They seem to be expecting a high turnover rate.

Reactions: Random UK Fan
One Final Four since 2015 using the current model. Now, Duke is replacing the GOAT coach with Jon Scheyer. The recruiting is definitely impressive (clearly speaks more to the Duke brand than anything else) but do I really expect Scheyer to do better with that level of talent than Coach K? That would be pretty unreasonable to expect.

One Final Four since 2015 using the current model. Now, Duke is replacing the GOAT coach with Jon Scheyer. The recruiting is definitely impressive (clearly speaks more to the Duke brand than anything else) but do I really expect Scheyer to do better with that level of talent than Coach K? That would be pretty unreasonable to expect.
Has Scheyer ever coached a game at any level? Penny coached HS and some local AAU school.

His coaching prowess will be on full display. All the talent, resources are there.

Set for life to achieve or fail is still to be determined.

Will be great watching him mesh young talent together.

Rivals has Whitehead, Filipowski, and Lively 1,2,3. The 247 composite has them in reverse order: Lively (1), Filipowski (3), Whitehead (5).

Rivals 2018: Barrett (1), Reddish (3), Zion (5)
247 Comp: Barrett (1), Reddish (2), Zion (5)

In other words, Scheyer is gonna be feeling some heat to win the natty in year 1. That's a shit ton of talent to go along with whoever returns and potential transfers.
Busy stacking heartache.😎

i just want to know if this means that it will be our turn soon to get all the top recruits. We haven't had more than 2 5 star guys since I think 2005. Actually 2013 we had 3 but one was injured. And yes I know we have 3 coming in this year, but compared to Kentucky and Duke it feels like we have missed out on every target.

Duke's all in on the OAD model. They seem to be expecting a high turnover rate.
There's high turnover rate every year at Duke. If you have any kind of remotely good year they're gone. Kinda sucks, I thought Roach would come back but he started playing well in the tournament so I'm sure he'll go to the draft. One of the drawbacks of being in the biggest spotlight in college basketball.

There's high turnover rate every year at Duke. If you have any kind of remotely good year they're gone. Kinda sucks, I thought Roach would come back but he started playing well in the tournament so I'm sure he'll go to the draft. One of the drawbacks of being in the biggest spotlight in college basketball.
Roach was great in the NCAAT----but dude has no business entering the draft----BUt, well, when iron is hot----hell even warm, welp....

Reactions: ceilo77 and tw3301

That would be nuts, if he left.

And I don’t think anyone will be putting any pressure on Scheyer to win a title, outside of Scheyer himself:)

That would be nuts, if he left.

And I don’t think anyone will be putting any pressure on Scheyer to win a title, outside of Scheyer himself:)
Its about peer pressure though. Hubert Davis in his very first year, took a much less talented UNC team to NCAA title game. This is very bad news for Scheyer, since anything short of a national title in 2023 will be considered a failure. People will be comparing him to Davis and Scheyer will never get enough of it unless he wins it all.

Its about peer pressure though. Hubert Davis in his very first year, took a much less talented UNC team to NCAA title game. This is very bad news for Scheyer, since anything short of a national title in 2023 will be considered a failure. People will be comparing him to Davis and Scheyer will never get enough of it unless he wins it all.
200.gif

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
You gotta stop using smiley faces, you already creep people out and it's not helping.

Sorry man, when I type in a smiley face it puts one in there:) Just smiling when I do it… no need to get creeped out, although I suspect several posters here only anger-post ;)

Btw, random question… how do you wear your hair? No reason, just wondering,

Wow, this post is, like, the perfect example of how absolutely out of touch the average fan is, and how little the average fan actually understands sports and college basketball.

There is no “peer pressure” because Davis had a great season. Absolutely nobody with a brain, and CERTAINLY not any of Jon’s peers, is sitting there going “Oh shit, well, Jon, HE made the Final Four, so you better do as well!” 99.9 percent of coaches, not to mention first year coaches, don’t make the Final Four. It takes an incredible amount of luck to make it… like, off the charts luck... And no reasonable, rational person who understands how hard it is to make the Final Four, how many tiny, uncontrollable things have to go right, has ANY expectations of such a result or is putting any pressure on a first year coach to make it.

Jesus. I can’t tell if it is just projected frustrations, early prep to be able to say ‘Hah, i told you so!’ or a true lack of understanding and perspective.

Reasonable expectations might be that Duke can finish top three in the ACC reg season and get a few rounds deep in the tournament, but even THAT isn’t guaranteed… FFS, UK, with one of the greatest coaches in history, went out in the first round, because the tournament is a one shot deal and anything can happen. Better would be nice, worse isn’t the end of the world. I mean, does nobody saying this nonsense ever remember their first time doing their job, and how long it took to actually figure it out? Now imagine if most of your co-workers were doing the job for the first time, too.

”A first year coach with a bunch of freshmen has to make the title game or be a failure!” I mean, when you look at that, you don’t get how ******ed that sounds…?

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Kevin Bryan
Actually 2 FF’s.

Caleb Love. 5*. Bacot, 5*, Manek 4*, Davis 4 or 5*. Tell us you don’t know college basketball without actually telling us you don’t know college basketball.

Caleb Love. 5*. Bacot, 5*, Manek 4*, Davis 4 or 5*. Tell us you don’t know college basketball without actually telling us you don’t know college basketball.
lol silly revisionist history, they were an 8th seed for a reason. No one expected them to make it as far as the national title game when the tournament began, or before the start of the season. Sure they are more talented than Marquette and St.Peters, maybe even comparable to UCLA, but nowhere near as talented as KU and Duke.

lol silly revisionist history, they were an 8th seed for a reason. No one expected them to make it as far as the national title game when the tournament began, or before the start of the season. Sure they are more talented than Marquette and St.Peters, maybe even comparable to UCLA, but nowhere near as talented as KU and Duke.
I agree. Pretty sad how UNC has ruined these 5* recruits. I doubt Bacot thought he would be there 3-4 years.

I agree. Pretty sad how UNC has ruined these 5* recruits. I doubt Bacot thought he would be there 3-4 years.

Oh yeah, they’re jacked up so bad they sent your dad into retirement and crashed his party. All those recruiting titles and nothing to show for it.

Oh yeah, they’re jacked up so bad they sent your dad into retirement and crashed his party. All those recruiting titles and nothing to show for it.
There she is. You seem to forget those 5 titles. More than DES. More than Gut. More than Duh. More than Roy.
Yeah, nothing to show.
Idiot.

Roy’s got more titles than K since he came to UNC. Try moving the goal posts again Sissy.
Roy didn’t just coach at UNC. Sorry. Try moving those posts again queer. Btw, how many did DES have at UNC?

How many total titles do they each have? Ooops.

Roy didn’t just coach at UNC. Sorry. Try moving those posts again queer. Btw, how many did DES have at UNC?

How many total titles do they each have? Ooops.

You refrenced the UNC coaches not me. Fact is ever since Roy came back to UNC he’s got more titles than your dad. Also when he decided to go all in with the 1 and done he’s underachieved.

You refrenced the UNC coaches not me. Fact is ever since Roy came back to UNC he’s got more titles than your dad. Also when he decided to go all in with the 1 and done he’s underachieved.
So what. A career is a career. You can’t pick and choose certain years. That is just stupid. Expected from you, but stupid.

Btw, UNC tries to recruit the same players.

So what. A career is a career. You can’t pick and choose certain years. That is just stupid. Expected from you, but stupid.

Btw, UNC tries to recruit the same players.

We all tried to recruit the same players, every one knows that. He had a great career but he had NBA talent every year and only 1 title to show for it. As for stupid you’re the poster boy and it shows when I throw shade at your dad. I bet you’re hoping he pulls a Tom Brady don’t ya?

We all tried to recruit the same players, every one knows that. He had a great career but he had NBA talent every year and only 1 title to show for it. As for stupid you’re the poster boy and it shows when I throw shade at your dad. I bet you’re hoping he pulls a Tom Brady don’t ya?
No. You are throwing shade at the Duke program.
You must really think DES underachieved bigly then. Surprised to hear that from you.

ADVERTISEMENT